Chapter 1

Back to you

Chansung looked himself in the mirror. A pair of tired eyes took notice of the hunched shoulders and the sweat beads dripping from his forehead. The visual didn't fit with the rest of the picture. His dark suit looked dashing, the white shirt spotless, bow tie wrapped expertlly around his neck, hair perfectly styled with gel.

 

He splashed water on his face to try to ease his anguish, but it wasn't enough to calm his nervousness. He wondered if this was supposed to happen on your wedding day. Did all the grooms got this nervous?

 

Grabbing a towel to dry himself, he walked towards the door. He couldn't shake the uneasy feeling in his gut, but he got himself straight. Before he opened the door, he put his fake smile on his face. The practiced grin, the one he used so many times, was back in place. Now no one would know that he hurt inside. They never did.

 

With a sigh, he opened the door to face a wide wedding space. It was decorated elegantly, white lillies and ornaments, all picked by his fiancée. He looked at his watch, his brows furrowed because she was very late. He spotted his parents and a few friends, but didn't see the ones who mattered. None of them came - none of except Ok Taecyeon - his best man.

 

He saw Taecyeon spotting a nervous smile while he talked with his mother. He finally saw Chansung and hurriedly came towards him. He approached him looking alarmed, maybe a little awkward, like he was a fireman about to stop a fire.

 

“Are you sure you contacted Wooyoung?”

 

“I'm sure, hyung. You know Wooyoung these days. Who knows where he is and what he is thinking.”

 

The small awkwardness turned into full despair. He could see the pity in Taecyeon's eyes, but didn't say anything. Right at that moment he really looked pitiful, he probably deserved the look.

 

“I'm sorry they didn't come, Chansung,” he said, his eyes down apologetically. The sadness in them were so clear. It was obvious he was suffering with this as much as him.

 

“You don't have to apologize, hyung. It's not your fault,” he added, his hands on Taecyeon's shoulder. He squeezed it and let it go, once again looking at the entrance to see any sign of his fiancée or even one of his friends. Upon her arrival the wedding planners would give him a sign, but so far they only shrugged their shoulders wearing puzzled looks clear on their faces. As for his friends, he officially gave up.

 

“What did they say exactly?”

 

“About what?” Chansung said absentmindedly. He guessed what he meant, but he had so much in his mind he couldn't know for sure. He looked at his watch again briefly, then looked at his friend again.

 

“What was their excuse?” Chansung didn't want to dwell on this. It hurt him, bringing pain and sadness. But he wouldn't let Taecyeon know how their absence on his wedding devastated him. He had his shields in place, a tight armor he always kept around himself to hide his true feelings.

 

“Minjun was really busy. He had to record stuff, but said he would make it. Maybe he got stuck. Same with Khun, he had filming to do in Thailand. Junho...” There it was, the one who hurt him the most, the one that made his insides clench. “He didn't answer me, hyung,” he admitted.

 

Taecyeon didn't even fake his surprise. He opened his mouth, but closed it again. It looked like he wanted to say something, but didn't know how.

 

“Is he still angry with you? What happened? Still mad because of that?” his friend asked, his eyes questioning. His tone was gentle and soothing, like he didn't want to upset a beast.

 

“I don't know. I never know with Junho, hyung,” he admitted. He smiled and got a timid toothy grin in response.

 

“I'm sure there is some problem with him, maybe he didn't get the invitation? Or he could be busy. He's a hot shot now, always very busy” he tried to comfort Chansung, but they both knew that wasn't what happened.

 

Nowadays, Junho was one of Korea's biggest stars. He was famous before with 2pm, but now he was on another league. He had a career of his own, the dream of ever single singer in Korea. As famous as Rain, his songs were big hits, all his concerts were sold out. He could be busy, sure. But their issue started before all of them went to the military, back when 2pm was together as a band and tight as a family.

 

“Yeah, hyung. Maybe that's what happened.” He let the lie slip through his teeth. It wasn't the time to rehash their past. Too much complications and too many people that could eavesdrop. He didn't want to talk now, maybe not ever.

 

“Let's wait in the altar, hyung.” His best man nodded in defeat. He was dressed like Chansung, but his dark hair was pulled in a ponytail. He looked a little sloppy, but he always did lately.

 

Life post military wasn't so kind to Taecyeon. While Chansung was having his obligatory service, he went back to America to try a rap career. It was a bold move since he had plenty of possibilities in South Korea, but he wanted more. He had so many dreams, but he failed them all. Now he was back in the country, but still didn't shake the depression caused by his failure.

 

“Listen, I want to ask you something,” Taecyeon said while they walked.

 

“Go ahead,” Chansung promptly replied.

 

“It's about 2PM,” he said wearily. He had an hesitant demeanor, but that wasn't unexpected. They didn't have a contract with JYP anymore and that was a sore subject. They didn't call Chansung after the military, but he didn't expect it. Not after his scandal. They dropped him coldly, with not so much as an explanation.

 

Taecyeon was another matter. He chose not to renew his contract to pursue his dreams somewhere else. They didn't take it too kindly, to say at least. They wanted to sue him, but had no grounds. So they had to let him go, but that generated scars. Taecyeon was now blacklisted in the business, completely shunned by his peers, music shows and dramas. He still composed music on his own, but it was tough on him.

 

“What about it,” Chansung asked and stepped it on the altar. His tie was tight in his neck, choking him, so he tried to loosen it a little bit. He knew where this was going and that only made his tension increase. He waited for an answer, but never took his eyes out of the surroundings. He heard the whisperings and he agreed with them. Where was she?

 

“This is not the place, we talk later,” he said with a scared look. “Chansungie, you look very tense,” he looked at Chansung from head to toe. “Are you sure about this?”

 

No, he wasn't sure. “Yes, I'm sure. Why?” So many reasons this didn't feel right, but he buried those issues deep inside himself. This was what he needed to do. Of that he was sure. He wanted a family, kids and this was the way he was getting it. He didn't want fame anymore, now Chansung wanted to live in peace and take care of his gym and family.

 

“You know why. We both do.” Painful memories flashed briefly in his mind. But they were gone really quickly. He was talking about Junho. But Chansung didn't see why they had to rehash their past. It was done and messing with it only brought pain and misery. “I think you are making a mistake,” he advised. “But I'm here for you the same.”

 

“Thanks, hyung. It means a lot.” They hugged and Taecyeon slapped his back with enough force to make him choke. But Chansung laughed heartily, happy to have a person like this by his side. His buddy didn't press for more, so he let the issue rest. They stayed there in an easy silence.

 

Some moments later, he saw a bit of commotion at the entrance. The wedding planners were talking hushly on their radios, their faces worried and haggard. One of them looked at Chansung, his features tired. He finally approached the groom in the altar.

 

“Sir. I have bad news,” the planner said sadly. His heartbeat stopped for a second, as if it was only waiting to hear the bad news to go back to beating again. He couldn't breathe.

 

“The bride ran away. She is not coming.” Chansung finally breathed again.  

 

 

AN: so, what do you guys think? This is the beginning of a fic I hope it's long (but I'm moody and temperamental so who knows). I hope you guys like it because I'm surely having fun. 

I wrote short chapters so I could I leave a few things in the air - who was Chan getting married to? Scandal?. Will reveal them with time. Anyway, please support me from now on. Comment and subscribe and make a writer happy. Lots of love. C.