IF IT'S LOVE

IF IT'S LOVE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

READ: italics are thought or characters pov. grey is flashback of events/thoughts/dialogue. advanced apology for typo/gramar errors, no time to proofread it..Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a kid, Youngjae had always wanted to have superpowers. Ability to fly or see through walls or to read minds, those such that he thought would be of his advantage in given times. But the one power that he wished he could have is to teleport. He hated waking up early for school, so having that power, he thought, would allow him to sleep more in the morning. No need for him to walk a distance or to sit in traffic. But then magic or such doesn’t really exist. And actually he doesn’t mind. Because at some point, waking up in the morning and walking down to school, became a joy to him for one sole reason. Daehyun.

But at times when you’re in a hurry, your palms are sweating despite of the cold weather outside and your heart beats anxiously against your chest, powers would down your mind again even you’re twenty soon. Every two seconds, he would push a button on his phone and stared at the numbers flashed on the right top corner of the screen. His fingers drummed in a messy beat on the denim of his pants as his neck craned on the window checking if he’s near his destination.

“calm down, kid..we’re here” He heard a raspy voice from the front and it made him withdrew his gaze from the window. The old driver looked through his view mirror and smiled at him. He returned the smile before bringing back his attention outside. The sign of the island’s small airport came into view and he sighed in relief.

The cab moved slowly as it tried to search for parking space. Youngjae who was gripping the door’s handle, kept on mumbling the word, ‘ppali’ as he watched the packed area. When he felt the breaks was stepped on, he literally threw a bill, not minding that he paid much, and walked-ran towards the entrance. He wandered his eyes as he looked for the ticketing. His legs took longer strides upon seeing an empty booth.

11:46

An hour flight to Incheon then another to Seoul by cab plus ten minutes to his place. I will be at Daehyun’s at noon. Or maybe powers are real..

“good morning sir”

Youngjae leaned against the high desk, panting. He fished out a card that he borrowed from his mother and slammed it on the table, a little forceful than intended, before speaking up.

“your..next..flight..to incheon..please” The woman smiled as she worked something on her computer. After a minute, which felt like an hour for Youngjae, a frown appeared at the lady’s thin lips and it advised him of a coming bad news.

“sorry sir but our flights are full..the earliest flight I can give you is tonight, at 6pm.”

Youngjae shook his head a pleading look on his face as he leaned closer to the desk.

“I need to be at Seoul as soon as possible..it’s an emergency”

“sorry sir..but it’s the peak season..our flight were booked beforehand..but if you want we can put you in waiting list if by chance someone didn’t show up”

Youngjae broke into a smile as a little hope was given to him. He thanked the agent before walking towards the waiting area.

He unlocked his phone and hit the call button. It automatically connected him to the last contact he’s been trying to call all morning. The same voicemail was heard and it made him groan. He sighed in defeat as he rested his body at the metal bench backrest. He felt tired, physically and emotionally.

A passing couple made him raised his head to their direction and noticed they were staring. He followed them with his gaze and saw the girl giggled as the boy whispered something on her ears.

“are they..” Then looked down at himself. of course. He’s wearing the same shirt he slept on last night. It was thin and the sleeves are short and to consider the cold climate, people might think he just lost his mind. It somehow amazed him that he was able to stand the cold, though the airport’s temperature is warmer, it is still colder than normal. At least he pulled on some decent pants and put on a sneakers before dashing out of the villa and hailing a cab.

Another fit of loud chuckles caught his attention, and it came from group of friends at the bench across him. Ignore them, he thought as he closed his eyes hoping to calm his restless mind and tired body.

 

“are you a fool or just a little ignorant?” A voice made him opened his eyes in time to see a flying black fabric being thrown to him. He caught the clothing before raising his gaze at the familiar tone.

“your mother asked me to follow you..seeing that you went out without a jacket..crazy kid” Youngjae watched the feminine boy taking the seat beside him. The said person waved a hand and he travelled his eyes to where it was directed. The group of girls that were laughing at him just minutes ago, this time they were giggling in girly tones. A mumbled ‘unbelievable’ came from him as he continued to watch the flirt do his thing,

“so standby, huh?”

He nodded as he pushed his back away from the rest and put on the jacket.

“still no reply?”

Youngjae pushed the unlock button and sighed. He thought of trying the call again but hesitated. “he was calling me too..last night”

An airy low laugh came from the boy beside him. He glanced at him, a little confused of his reaction.

“I bet you’re thinking something like..hmm..he thought of you..he needed you..or”

“or maybe he still think of me as his friend and he called because that’s what we normally do..and me being a selfish fool of a..friend”

He was cut when he felt a hand on his thigh. He looked up and met with pair of gentle eyes.

“don’t..no one’s in fault here..especially you”

There was comforting silence that happened after those words. Youngjae stared at the tiled floor as he gripped tightly on the device on his hands.

“Himchan?”

“hmm?”

“what if..” His brows creased as the thought scared him. He wanted to avoid thinking that way but it’s a possibility that can happen. “something…bad”

“or he left his phone at home and he’s somewhere far..maybe he..they took a vacation, too”

The crease in between his brows added a fold, his bottom lip trapped between his teeth. “you said they’re not together..”

“then he took a vacation..by himself..” He emphasized the pronoun as he spoke.

“Daehyun..it doesn’t show but..he’s a little coward..he can’t go anywhere farther than school or the commercial area near the vicinity.. alone..he got a trauma when he got lost when we were kids..”

He then looked at Himchan with a small tug in his lips. “and remember he called me many times last night”

Himchan chewed on his lips as he squinted his eyes as if he was thinking of another possible reason. Youngjae turned his head away from the other as the smile faded slowly. He stared at his hands as it played with the pink device.

“why..are they not together?” He didn’t need to look to know that the other was staring at him. He actually can feel him tense with the question. Why would he react that way? A metallic taste on his tongue made him realized that he’s been biting hard. It stings.

“did they..broke up?”

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 “..answer you goddamn phone” He hissed under his breath as his hold on the black device tightened against his ear. When a recorded message was heard, he growled before pulling it off away from his face. He threw it on the seat beside him as he stirred the wheel to enter the airport parking lot.

He turned off the engine after settling at a space near the entrance, grabbing his phone and the black coat on the passenger seat. He closed the car’s door with a slam clutched at the opening of his own jacket to enclose it tightly on his body as he felt the cold air hit him. He jogged towards the building’s entrance and let his eyes travelled on the area searching a brown-haired boy who’s probably be a sight with his thin white shirt. Crazy kid.

Curls in his lips became visible as he spotted him after a minute of wandering around. He was sitting with a solemn face, eyes closed and that inappropriate attire. He checked his phone one more time hoping to find a reply from his best friend but to his dismay, there was none. With heavy steps he led his way to the other boy’s spot, drawing a deep sigh and tucking his phone inside his front pocket.

There are times that he can’t help thinking that he’s the villain in this story. He can’t even believe how he can act caring and supportive towards Youngjae, as he carried out his plot of stopping the best friends to know their feelings to each other. The things he would do for love. Stupid love.

“are you a fool or just a little ignorant?” He started throwing the jacket on his one hand before walking to take the empty spot beside the surprised boy.  “your mother asked me to follow you..seeing that you went out without a jacket..crazy kid”

His gaze was taken by the group of girls across them and as his instinct kicked in his hand waved at them. He could feel the attention that the other boy was giving him due to his blatant flirting. Easing the gloomy atmosphere as the first step, was a success.

“still no reply?”

He could feel the worry oozing out of the boy’s every move. The way his eyes stare at the screen of his phone and the disappointment that decorated his face.

“he was calling me too..last night” He didn’t know why but a sudden laugh slipped pass his lips before speaking up something that didn’t pass through his brain-to-mouth filter. And yes, there is a regret.

“or maybe he still think of me as his friend and he called because that’s what we normally do..and me being a selfish fool of a..friend”

Himchan’s hand moved by itself and patted the boy’s thigh. The care... His eyes softened as the boy looked at him. Fake or not, he didn’t know. What’s certain was the urge of letting the other know that he’s not the bad person. He’s just in love, that’s why.

Like him.

Their conversation halted not until the boy’s concern about his friend’s whereabouts surfaced. Of course, he’ll be thinking the worse scenario, he thought. He tried to lighten the mood suggesting a worry less possibility but failed as Youngjae gave reasons why it was inapplicable. He continued in thinking of a more believable situation when he was caught off guard by a sudden yet expected question.

““why..are they not together?” He didn’t notice his stare at the boy’s side profile as his body and mind froze, rendering him speechless.

“did they..broke up?”

the .  He cursed. He felt a tightening in his throat. For the moment, all he thinks about is how to cover this up, for Yongguk. He promised to help him, and he would even it means his own pain. Everything would go to waste if Youngjae will know the truth. He won’t let that happen. It’s his best friend’s happiness at risk.

“is that you’re hoping for?” He couldn’t mask the harshness in his tone and the lack of reaction from the younger boy put a weight of guilt from his words.

“no” Youngjae replied in fast. “I don’t think that way”

Liar. Himchan thought at first but somehow the look on the other’s face made him want to take it back.

“don’t worry..they’re not..they have a little..simple lover’s quarrel…it happens..” He said keeping his stare at the boy who had his head hanging low since the topic commenced. “I called Yongguk this morning and tell him about Daehyun..he’s surely on his way as we speak”

There’s a little lie on his words for he’s uncertain if Yongguk had read his messages and to add his calls being ignored. He could picture his friend under his covers, paying no heed on the noises his phone’s making.

“good to know.. that someone can check up on Dae now..since this wait seems to take longer” Himchan let out a disbelieving sigh with Youngjae’s remark.

“seriously? You’re still going? Daehyun’s boyfriend is coming to him..no need for the BEST friend to meddle in..sorry but I’m just being honest here”

“I’m aware” This time Youngjae raised his head and looked at him in the eyes. “but maybe..just maybe..it’s his BEST friend that he needs”

Himchan stared back wordless. It was Youngjae who broke off first as he turned his body to look at the ticketing booth. He felt defeated. But no he’s not giving up.

“because he called?” He asked a hint of mockery in his voice. He side-eyed the boy who was slumped back on his seat.

“yes..” The other paused as he pressed a button in the phone making the screen to light up again. “and because I can feel it..a best friend’s intuition”.

 

Himchan watched his reflection on the restroom’s mirror. Drops of water were trickling down his fair skin as strands of his fringes sticking on his wet forehead. Noticing a presence watching him from the mirror, his eyes drifted to the stranger’s reflection scowling to scare him away. He succeeded as the said person hurriedly pulled on the rolled tissue before walking out of the bathroom. He sighed loudly as he stepped towards the dispenser, taking out sheets of paper towel. He faced the mirror again as he softly dabbed the soft towel against his wet skin.

An hour and a half had passed since he arrived at the airport and decided to accompany Youngjae with his wait. Not solely just to be of his company, but to put his plan on stopping him on work. He couldn’t let Youngjae go and see Daehyun, not when he’s not sure if everything’s fix between Yongguk and his boyfriend. Not when they’re in verge of breaking up. And mostly not when Daehyun seems to be aware of his feelings for Youngjae.

Call him the bad person, hate him and all, but he really doesn’t care anymore. All he care about is his friend’s happiness, and if it’s Daehyun, and if it will acquire him to be the bad one, then so be it.

“..you’ll be damned, for sure” He let out a sour laugh as he talked on the image in front of him.

“but maybe..just maybe..it’s his BEST friend that he needs”

Youngjae’s spoken words replayed on his mind, his voice ringing loud on his ears. The glint of hope on his eyes, he was sure he seen them somewhere.

Of course they are. He smirked as he kept looking at those familiar pair. Just the same.

 

A light vibration from his pocket took him by surprise as he was lost in his thoughts. He threw the soiled tissue on the bin before pulling out the device.

Yongguk.

He stared at the name flashing on the screen and it took him a few second and handful of air before he hit the accept key.

“at last..where are you?”

“just woke up..wha-“ His voice was raspy, trace that he really just woke up.

“go to Daehyun..Now..”

 “what’s happening? Why are”

“don’t ask..just go to Daehyun now..I’m serious”

“Channie” He didn’t realize the growl that escaped him. He closed his eyes as he let his fingers ran through his hair down to the back of his neck. Upon hearing the sound of water from the background, he rolled his eyes in disbelief before ringing out.

 “and you’re taking a shower…..ok listen..Daehyun’s out of reach…he’s not answering calls even from his parents..everyone is damned worried about him…and Young-”

And the call ended. The beeping sound signaled that the other just hang up on him. Good. He put down the phone on the marble counter before he leaned against it, his arms supporting his weight.

“” He shut his eyes tight enough to suppress the stinging heat and the thing that follows. He bit his lips as he sensed the trembling that normally comes before an audible sob.

“it hurts..right?” His eyes widened as heard a voice from behind him. “the feeling of regret..”

He slowly lifted his gaze to the mirror and saw another reflection standing by the bathroom’s door. Their eyes met and he felt cold all of the sudden.

“how long..have you..” He stuttered. He averted his attention and stared at the abstract pattern on counter’s tiles.

“long enough to..finally understand you..this ” Youngjae moved closer to him. He didn’t need to look for he could sense the warmth coming from the boy who was now leaning against the counter, eyes boring holes on him.

“to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter