IF IT'S LOVE

IF IT'S LOVE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

READ: ITALICS are characters POV/thoughts. GREY are from past dialogue, events and flashback.

=====================================================================================================================

 

“tsk tsk..” a snicker sound reached the younger boy’s ears as he intently watched the person in front of him shook his head in disappointment. He then let out a deep sigh before taking a tasteful sip of his milkshake.

“so what’s the reason..i mean she’s perfect..” the older leaned forward as he demanded for an explanation from the other side. A loud sipping sound was heard before the other spoke up.

“I don’t have a reason..”

“no reason..yah you just throw a big fish back to the sea and you’re saying that…”

The boy gave out another sigh as he pushed the now empty tall glass of milkshake towards the center of their booth. “well..”

“what?”

“I don’t know..it felt..different…i..was not..”

The older’s eyes were getting bigger as seconds passed by from the little pause the other had as he thought of the right words to say.

“comfortable..”

A silent ‘oh’ came out of the listener as he pulled himself away from the table and set his back against the soft cushion of his chair.

“well, well..it seems our little Youngjae here is opening up to a new world..”

“huh?”

“Welcome to the club” Himchan said with a playful wink. Youngjae who seemed lost at first finally got what the other wanted to say.

“no..i’m not..”

“not what?”

Youngjae pondered for mere seconds before his third sigh came out. Himchan let out an audible grin as his assumption was proven right.

“there’s no reason to hide and feel ashamed of it..i mean being gay is slowly being accepted now..”

“I’m not..” Youngjae paused. “gay..not the gay, gay..i mean I only like one..boy”

There was silence that enveloped the air around them. It was not long before a low chuckle broke it.

“what a pitiful sight to behold..” Youngjae looked up from his little time staring at his hands awkwardly laid flat on his lap to see the usual smirk on the older boy’s face.

“oh well..if a girl for a new love interest is a fail..why not try finding a boy..”

“I’m not doing it..i told you..i’m not really interested on boys..it’s just him..”

Himchan crossed his arm on his chest, comfortably resting his back on his chair and a more teasing grin on his lips.

“what?” Youngjae sounded irritated as this kind of looks from Himchan is surely meant no good.

“date me.”

And he’s right. Feeling the uneasiness building up he laughed as if he just heard a funny joke. But it gradually faded as he was faced by a serious look from the older. He cleared his throat as he tried to release a non existing lump on it.

“you’re serious..” Himchan shrugged still beaming the kind of sincerity on his expression. “What! No..that’s gross..you’re not my type..”

Himchan snorted with rolled eyes. “and so do I..i’m not that desperate”

“and what do you mean by that?” a glare was sent to the older as soon as those words were blurted out.

“anyway..just a suggestion..to maybe check if you’re really NOT a gay..”

“so you suggest to date you..should it be you?” Youngjae raised a unwilling tone on his question earning an offended sound from the other.

“I’m being kind here and volunteering myself and I’m getting this..well then good luck finding a guinea pig that is willing to go out with you…or first to even be attracted to you..”

“Yah!” Youngjae grabbed pieces of cheese balls on the bowl and threw it to the boy’s direction.

“watch it..i’m wearing white shirt..” and grabbed himself some of the orangey treat and attacked the younger. The cheese ball war commenced along with some inaudible curses from both sides. It only halted as loud clearing sound came from a waiter standing near their booth.

“that’s so childish” Himchan said brushing cheese powder on his shirt.

“and so are you” Youngjae stuck out his tongue as he wiped his fingers on the tissue. It took some time before both of them were back to their composed self and all the balls in the floor were swept by the slightly irritated waiter.

“gosh seriously stop sighing” Himchan said as he heard the other let out another gloomy breathe as he rest his back on the chair. With that remark, Youngjae repeated the action only louder and obviously a fake one.

Himchan chuckled and was followed by the other. The air between them somehow lighten as the laughter died down slowly.

“I know it will be hard..but you really need to move on..being stuck in a dream will never do you good..it can only hurt you more..”

Youngjae’s lips displayed a small smile as his eyes were focused on the bluish cloth on the table. He knew Himchan is right. He’s been living in a dream wishing that someday it can come true. He still wanted to believe that even a speck of chance, his feelings can be returned.

 

====================================================================================

 

It sounded so familiar. The sound the boy across him has been sending off since they arrived at the cafeteria. The same deep meaningful sighs. It was just day ago when he himself was the one making those depressing breathe.

“gwenchana?” he asked pushing the styrofoam container filled with the other’s favorite dessert. The slightly older boy smiled assuring him a positive answer.

“what’s with those sighs? Did anything happened?” Youngjae continued watching his best friend as he played with the food, something unusual for the other since normally he would be devouring it as soon as it was put in front of him.

“aniyo..it’s nothing”

“Daehyun-ah”

“hmm?” the boy faced him waiting for any continuation.

“how long we were been together?”

Daehyun furrowed his brows as he was confused with the sudden question. Youngjae let out a low chuckle before reaching to ruffle the other’s hair.

“you can’t hide anything from me..one look and I know if you’re hungry..or if you’re planning on something..or there’s something’s bothering you..”

Daehyun patted the hand away from his styled hair and laughed a bit. He averted his gaze back to the food in front of him.

“did you..and Yongguk..fight again?”

“Aniyo..” Daehyun quickly replied. He shook his head at the same time and turned to face the other but his eyes were gazing down on anywhere else. “we’re ok..just fine”

Youngjae felt cold sweats on his palms and decided to wipe it off in his pants. The last words somehow gave him a weird pooling on his stomach and a tight lump on his air passage. Those simple words that could mean as it is, had given Youngjae mix of different assumptions in mind.

What does it mean? Just fine. Is it good to describe a relationship as just fine?

“we’re friends right?” Youngjae asked taking glances on his friend who was still staring at nothing particular obviously avoiding any continuation of the conversation. His question in some way got the boy’s attention and made him raised his head to look at his direction.

“of course”

“then tell me everything..i want to know..you’re not fine..evidently it’s about that”

There was a short pause before another sigh was heard.

“we’re really fine..we didn’t fight or anything..it’s just” Youngjae waited observing every actions Daehyun was making. Playing with his fingers, eyes uneasy, biting his lower lip, and beads forming on the boy’s forehead. Something’s wrong.

“I can’t explain it..Yongguk is not the one in fault..it’s me”

Youngjae wanted to ask more but the firmness in that last remark stopped him. He unconsciously reached for Daehyun’s hand and enveloped them in his and gave the boy a sweet smile. His lips slightly pulled back as he noticed his friend flinched a little in his touch and a pink line tinted the boy’s cheeks.

Youngjae slowly pulled away not losing the smile but a bit different from the first he showed, still thinking if he saw right or his mind is playing tricks on him again. Then it happened. At a flash, their eyes met and Youngjae swore there’s something strange on them. His own heart beating loud is becoming normal for him but why is he hearing two beats. Cold sweats are common to him especially in this kind of situation but why is he seeing them on the person across him. Getting uncomfortable when under his gaze but why is the other seemed to feel the same.

The ringing bell signaling the end of lunch break broke the moment they were in. Youngjae nervously coughed as he pretended to fix his uniform before standing up and grabbing his bag. The other boy did the same, only that he gave a spare time deciding if he was going to bring the sweet treat that was almost been forgotten. It earned a small laugh from the other and before they knew it the awkwardness just minutes ago flew in the air like it never happened.

 

====================================================================================

 

“wow..good as new” Himchan exclaimed as he ran his fingers on the newly painted hood of his car. After some time his friend climbed out of the driver’s seat moving to where he was standing. A large grin appeared on his lips as the keys were thrown in his direction. He then watched as the other strode his way inside the cafe leaving him alone. He shook his head for he knew his friend’s not in good mood.

“one macchiato to sweeten that ugly frown on your face” Himchan said as he put down the hot cup in front of his friend. He then took the seat across him setting down his own drink. A soft thanks came out of the other as he took off his sunglasses and tasted the sweet treat.

“so did something happened?”

Yongguk looked up at him ignoring the question as he took another sip of his drink.

“is it about Daehyun?”

A light click sound from a ceramic meeting a wooden surface reached their ears and there was silence. He was again ignoring the question as he directed his gaze at the view outside.

“did you fight again? Did he do something?”

“no..”

Himchan nodded his head as he leaned back on his seat. He wanted to push more and find answers to his curiosity.

“then what happened? you know I won’t stop until I get the answer I want”

Yongguk smirked as he turned to look at him. Himchan felt his own lips lifting on the side mirroring the other’s expression.

“it’s nothing..it’s just” Himchan eagerness displayed on how he moved to rest his arms on top of the table and got closer to the older boy.

“nothing”

“oh cmon..this is nothing..you’re clearly depressed over something..you tell me now or I find it myself..i’m calling Daehyun now”

“yah” The voice was threatening but as a friend who had been with him for a long time, he was somehow used to it. He fished out his phone acting like he was dialing someone and it got a defeating sigh from the other.

“it’s really nothing..i’m just having some issue..Daehyun’s not in fault here..it’s me”

Himchan placed the phone down on the table before resting back on the chair. This time he decided to stop. He’s not satisfied with it but then the honesty on his tone made him to let go of it this time.

“ok fine, whatever..but at least smile..it’s been long since we last hang out and you’re giving me that scary face”

Yongguk automatically showed his gummy smile as he heard that comment. He mumbled a sorry before downing the rest of his drink. Himchan did the same watching his friend from the lid of his cup as the boy went back to a frown, gaze reaching far beyond to what is visibly in front of his eyes.

 

====================================================================================

 

Youngjae was walking the hallways, his lunch box on his hand and his cellphone on the other. A smile on his face as he was having a great day since this morning. Humming the melody of the latest kpop song he downloaded last night, he was in a happy mood.

“ayo!” he stopped on his tracks as his ears resonated  a voice he knew he mustn’t heard in this premises. So he took another step shaking away the possibility of this person’s presence to be real.

“ignoring me huh, Yoo Youngjae” He spun on his heels and regretted it as soon as his eyes laid to the very person he asked not to see even just for a day.

“what are you doing here?”

“just looking around”

Youngjae creased his brows as the other took his sweet time moving closer to him. “you have your own school..why not loiter there instead?”

“it’s boring there..also all the fun is here” The boy finally was beside him and it surprised him as he felt an arm hooking up on his. “kaja..they are in the cafeteria right” and he was pulled against his will.

 

“hayi Daehyun-ah” a cheerful voice greeted the younger boy sitting on one of the benches on the long canteen table. The said boy awkwardly raised his hand and greeted back. “hi Himchan hyung..and Youngjae”

Youngjae abruptly pulled away from the older’s touch and seated beside his friend. Himchan also found himself a place across Youngjae.

“uhmm..what are you doing here?” Daehyun asked.

“huh? Nothing just visiting Youngjae..right?” Youngjae shot up a wide eye on Himchan’s direction only to be returned with a smile.

“oh..really? you’re getting close now..that’s good to he”

“aniyo” Youngjae, at a sudden, interrupted as if correcting a big mistake. “we’re no”

“yeah we are very close indeed.” Hinmchan’s turn to interject. Youngjae glared at him but another sweeter grin was given to him.

“oh” Youngjae was about to give a glance to his friend as he thought he heard disappointment in his voice if not by the new presence that arrived in their table.

“what are you doing here?”

“will you all ask me that question..am I not allowed here?” Himchan snorted as he eyed the new person taking the seat next to him.

“technically yes”

Himchan slumped on his chair as his gaze not leaving his so called best friend mumbling something under his breath.

Yongguk just shook his head as he opened his bag and took out a lunch box. He opened the lid and pushed the container on his boyfriend’s direction. Himchan separated his back from the chair peeking at the box’s content. Youngjae did the same and was amazed by it.

“you made this?” Youngjae asked as he looked at the perfectly made omelet inside the box decorated by heart shaped drawn by ketchup. Cleanly cut kimbaps were aligned on the sides and seemed delicious.

“gomawo” Daehyun said blushing and tasted his lover’s treat for him. Yongguk watched with a soft smile on his lips.

Youngjae watched the scene in front of him and it made him think of the past days. Maybe I’m thinking too much. They seem to be..just fine. He didn’t notice a sad smile emerging from him as his eyes were glued at the couple beside him. Then he felt a light nudge on his leg and there he was able to avert his attention to another person who was in the same position as him.

“you two lovebirds being selfish and leaving us alone” Himchan chimed making the couple to turn to them. Daehyun smiled before stuffing his mouth with the food from the box. Yongguk popped open two soda and gave one to his boyfriend. Himchan snickered earning a side smirk from his best friend.

“hey Youngjae..i’m looking everywhere for you” And another presence added to the group. “oh..unfamiliar faces..hi!..who are they?”

“this one..no need for you to know” Youngjae pointed to the boy across him. “this is Yongguk..Daehyun’s..” there was a pause and he felt eyes on him. He swallowed a lump thinking twice if it’s alright to tell him the truth.

“Daehyun’s boy friend.” A low husky tone voice completed it for him. He looked at its owner and felt a bit embarrassed by his hesitance. He then aimed his attention to his friend who he hoped will understand and accept the situation.

“hi..nice to meet you” Jong Up stood up and reached for a handshake that was immediately received by the older. Youngjae was taken aback that Jong Up is not surprised or showed any uncertainty on this matter. Himchan gave him a one raise brow followed by a teasing grin.

“looks like you’re the only one that’s taking a hard time accepting things” Youngjae  glowered at the boy’s words. “anyway, it’s Friday..no classes tomorrow how about we all go out and have fun”

“not going..” Youngjae spoke up. “especially if it’s another bar night out”

“who says about going to a bar?”All of them had confused face on as they waited for Himchan to continue. “let’s go on a double date”

“Double

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter