Chapter Eight

His Voice

 

 For the time being, Yongguk decided that he would put his feelings aside. He knew that he was in love with Zelo, he didn't need to worry about anything else. As long as Zelo was at his side, he didn't have to worry. Just being next to him and listening to his voice was all he needed. For now, he would stay quiet.

 

 

Yongguk POV

 

"Zelo, let's go somewhere today." I suggested. Bokshil sat in my lap, happily nuzzling at the back of my hand. I patted his fur down, the little dog had grown on me.

"Where?" The curious voice called out from across the room. I shrugged and started thinking, there weren't many places that we could go. The place we lived in was a bit small, honestly, it didn't matter where we went. I was content with Zelo's presence wherever we were at, as long as he was with me.

"Do you want ice cream?" I asked, realizing that was probably a bad idea. The weather outside was way too cold for something like that.

"It's too cold for ice cream." I could hear him get up and walk over to where I was sitting so he was closer to me. The couch dipped next to me and I suddenly thought up another idea. Zelo's favorite.

"Then of course it has to be hot chocolate." I grinned in a teasing manner. Zelo was always sipping on hot chocolate on cold days, I would always hear him drinking it even if there wasn't any liquid left in the cup.

"Hm." He tried to make it seem like he didn't want it, but his voice heightened at the idea, and I could practically hear him jumping in delight.

 "With the little marshmallows on top." I added. He hummed in thought, "And chocolate drizzle."

"Okay, I suppose we can have hot chocolate." He laughed a little at his bad acting and I joined him. "On one condition." 

"What's that?" I asked.

"That we make it ourselves." He laughed with joy, his voice was bubbly and carefree.

"Fine, but we have to stop at the store first." I stood up from my place on the couch. Recently it has grown too cold to sit on the bench outside where we usually do. My apartment has replaced our usual spot.

"Okay! Let's go hyung, hurry!" Zelo pulled my hand, leading me through the apartment door, I smiled and followed after him. Not that I had much of a choice anyways.

 

<><><> 

 

"You usually eat alone for dinner don't you?" Zelo asked. I shrugged, Himchan almost always had something stuck in the fridge for me to heat up. It was hardly healthy doing that every time dinner rolled around, but I didn't mind it.

"Sometimes." I answered, which really meant always.

"Yongguk, can I cook something for you tonight?" He asked innocently, I grinned and almost laughed at the idea. 

"Can you even cook?" I asked. He punched me in the arm, embarrassed. Zelo pulled me to the left and I heard him mumbling to himself in annoyance.

"I can try." He suggested. "You know I used to cook for my mom, I'm not all that clueless with cooking." 

"I don't see why not." I ruffled his hair, I was always trying to make Zelo happy because he made me happy. It was terrible, always having to push back my feelings. It felt like the warmth in my chest was overflowing whenever I was around him, it was hard to hold back from telling him how much he meant to me.

"Okay! I'm making steak for you then, but you have to promise to buy cherry tomatoes too." Another sharp pull to the right and we were headed towards wherever the meat was.

"Don't worry, I will." I patted his back.

"Okay! This way Hyung," Zelo held onto my hand and pulled me alongside with him, I was enjoying every second of it.

"We'll need this and these mini marshmallows, those are the best. Oh! And the chocolate stuff." I could hear Zelo from a distance. He must have ran off, forgetting about me, again. 

"Zelo! Did you leave Bokshil in the apartment by himself?" I asked Zelo who was a distance away from me. There was a silence.

"Oops..." Zelo's small voice answered. I sighed, this happened once before. Last week we decided to go to the coffee shop and when we got back, Bokshil had ripped everything in the apartment to pieces. It was quite a funny scene truthfully, I had no idea what Bokshil did because Zelo was too embarrassed to tell me. It was when I heard Himchan's scream from the living room later that night that I realized what had happened. I wondered why Zelo was oddly quiet that day, I should have known.

"We'd better hurry," I told him, "Remember what happened last time." I almost laughed at the memory but decided not to. It wasn't fun getting a lecture from Himchan telling me that pets weren't allowed. It was surprising how much energy he had still. Whatever the case was, I didn't want Himchan to yell at me again, so I wanted to get back to the apartment quickly.

"I'm sorry hyung, I'll hurry." Zelo took my hand in his and led me to the cashier.

"Will this be all?" An unfamiliar voice said, then Zelo's voice followed after it. 

"Yes, that's it." There was an urgency in his voice that I could detect, but the cashier probably couldn't. Zelo payed the man, and grabbed the plastic bags, the familiar crinkling rang in my ears. He grabbed my hand and we made our way home quickly. Once we got to the apartment, I could hear Bokshil clawing at the apartment door. Zelo opened it and heaved a sigh of relief.

"Hyung, he didn't damage anything!" He declared happily.

"Well that's good." I smiled, leaning down to pet Bokshil.

<><><>

I stood nearby, listening to Zelo shuffle through the ingredients that he bought. I noticed that I began to focus more easily. However, It was difficult, always difficult. And I found it increasingly harder to live without my sight, Zelo always talked to me, he was never quiet anymore. Whenever I was down, he said this, "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched-they must be felt with the heart." He always knew how to cheer me up. I needed no other company rather than Zelo, Himchan and Youngjae.

We spent hours on the couch talking, Zelo made our hot chocolate with mini marshmallows and Zelo promised to make dinner for me later. After all, Youngjae and Himchan wouldn't return until late.

"Zelo, when will you start dinner? I'm hungry." I whined, Zelo scoffed.

"Since when do you whine?" He asked. If I could see him, I know he would have his hands on his hips. He probably mocks me all the time.

"Ever since I became hungry." I frowned.

"FIne then, I'll start now. Since were having steak, it should be delicious!" I heard Zelo running away, he really acted like a kid sometimes. 

"Do you need help?" I asked him from my spot on the couch.

"No, I'm making this for you. I'll do it myself." He warned, another thing I liked about Zelo. Even though I was blind, he never treated me like I couldn't help him. He didn't make me feel useless, after all I could do the same exact things people with sight could do.

"Alright, but call me if you need me." I said softly. He made a small noise of approval. After a long while, I finally stood up with my cup of hot chocolate and made my way slowly into the kitchen. I ran my hand across the counter, until I felt a cool metal against my palm. I set the cup inside the sink and turned.

"Zelo?" I asked.

"Over here!" He called. He sounded like he was struggling.

"You need help with anything?" 

"Yeah, I'm over here by the fridge, carry this." I shuffled over to the spot where the fridge was at, Zelo caught my arm and put two packages into my hands. I heard the fridge close, and he pushed me lighty with his elbow. "Put it on the counter." He nudged me again, I set the stuff down. Suddenly my phone began ringing from the couch, "Himchan is calling" The robotic voice called out from the phone. I went to go find it, wondering why Himchan was calling so early in the evening. I still faintly heard Zelo rustling around in the kitchen.

"Yes?" I answered.

"Yongguk? I have some news." Himchan said from the other end. I sat down on the couch, tilting my head curiously.

"What is it?" I asked.

"The doctor wants to meet with you immediately, he wants to talk about your sight." There was some chatter on Himchan's end of the line and I wondered if he was on break or not.

"But the doctor is all the way in Seoul." I objected.

"He came for a business trip and wanted to stop by quickly."

"Now? At the apartment?" I asked, glancing over to the kitchen where I knew Zelo was cooking dinner. I frowned.

"Yes, he called me ahead of time, and I figured that you'd want to know."

"Thanks for letting me know, work hard Himchan" I said, smiling a little.

"I will." 

I hung up shortly after. Hopefully Zelo wouldn't mind the little interruption.

<><><>