Chapter Sixteen

His Voice

Perhaps this will clear any confusion up.

...

 

Black leather boots paced back and forth angrily, pounding heavily on the warehouse floors. The man looked up at the people surrounding him. They had all grown immune to his piercing gaze and they were no longer afraid of it. All except for the new kid who stood shaking in the back.

The man in the black boots suddenly spoke up, his voice was trembling in anger, and his hand held a glint of metal in it. He clutched the knife tightly until his knuckles turned white. "I'm going to kill him tonight. That piece of deserves to die." Those few words he said caused the people around him to gasp in shock. 

"But who will be the successor?" One small voice asked from the back of the room, everyone turned to look at the kid who dared to speak against the boss. The young male shrunk bank into his place with a whimper.

The boss had an evil look in his eyes, he turned around facing away from everyone as he spoke, "I'm not going to die anytime soon." He scoffed, "The boy was too weak anyways." Everyone in the room gulped, they noticed the way the boss used his words, as if his son was already dead. They knew he was a cruel man, but they never imagined he would go so far as to dispose of his own flesh and blood.

Suddenly the boss turned around.

"You." He pointed at the frightened young kid in the back, the same boy who spoke against the boss.

"Yes sir?" He asked, voice slightly cracking and sweat beginning to form on his brow.

"Come with me tonight, you can bury the body." The boy's eyes widened dramatically as he heard those words, the boss chuckled a little at the pathetic look on his face. "I don't want to see that worthless vermin ever again after tonight, so you better do your job right."

"But sir-" He tried to speak but a gun was suddenly pointed at his face.

The boss smirked, "Do you want to finish that sentence?" The kid shook his head violently.

 

<><><>

"Wait outside. If his mother comes home, distract her." The boss took out a knife from his pocket and I stared at it curiously. Wouldn't it be faster and easier to just use a gun? The poor kid, he probably just wants him to suffer. Sick bastard."Whatever you do, don't let her inside the house." He warned me and I tried not to roll my eyes at him, the man standing in front of me was garbage. As he gave me commands, I didn't listen. He didn't seem to notice, I took this chance to speak up and try and get him to rethink his decision. If I wasn't careful, I would be buried with the kid too.

"Sir, your son can grow up and become stronger. I can guarantee that he will inherit your business well. Just don't kill him." I stopped the boss from entering the house and he shoved a gun in my hand.

He growled at me venomously and spit in my face, "Trying to play hero? Get out of my way." He shoved me violently against the house and I stumbled down the short porch stairs. "Keep watch and do your job correctly or else I'll kill you too." Those words were the last I heard from his mouth as he disappeared into the house.

I could have stopped him.

A few minutes later I started to become afraid as I heard the screaming from outside, I stopped myself from running into the house more than once. Finally I heard hurried footsteps off to my right, I looked over to find a panicked woman running over to the house.

"What's going on here?" The woman asked angrily, my eyes softened. This must be his mother, I thanked god that perhaps I could save him after all. I shoved the gun into the woman's hands and pushed her inside,"Your son is upstairs, please hurry and save him," I pleaded and then started running the other direction. It was too late to turn back as I heard screams and gunshots from down the street, I hoped that the kid was still alive. I was already forced to beat him until he was almost dead, I never wanted to do it but I had to.

Now that I ran away, I had nowhere to go.

For months I tried to look for a job, hiding from the boss and his workers. If I was found, then I would surely be dead right then and there. Wandering the streets, I found a nice sized coffee and cake shop, it was slightly run down. I walked in, and asked if they were hiring. An elderly man emerged from the back, his smile lit up the room. He told me he would give me a roof over my head and food in my stomach if I would work for him.

And so I did.

The man was like an angel to me, and I regarded him highly. He was somebody I looked up to, and I admired his kindness.

It wasn't until a year and a half later that the man died and I took over his business by myself.

I was still hiding and I was still afraid.

<><><>

Daehyun POV

I woke up from my sleep with a jolt. Why am I thinking of all this now? I stared up at the ceiling.

"He's alive." I tried so hard to push my past behind me where it belonged but no matter how far I ran it always caught up to me. The memories would haunt me no matter what I did. I rubbed my tired face and glanced over at the clock. It read 2:45 AM.

What if they come looking for him?

What if they find me?

He can't know it was me, he would hate me just as I hate myself.

"He's alive." I whispered, I imagined that knowing this fact would be a happy feeling. But I wasn't happy, I was terrified.

What if Junhong finds out? He would never forgive me.

Did he want to die that day? Should I have stopped his mother from saving him?

Or did I do the right thing by letting her pass?

But what if he finds out that I didn't save him earlier when I had the chance.

Would he figure out that I hesitated?

What if they find us?

Would we both be dead?

Is that man even still alive?

All these questions filled my mind as I closed my eyes tightly with a soft whimper.

"Please let us be safe." I whispered out into the cold night, "I don't want to die..."