Chapter Six

His Voice

Yongguk POV

 

A few weeks had passed already and Zelo and I had become good friends, today we decided to hang out at the park to pass the time. We listened to Zelo's music, it turns out we had a lot of similar interests. The both of us had plenty in common, but most days we didn't talk much, we just enjoyed each other's presence and that was enough. The walk back to the apartments was uneventful and quiet, neither of us said a word, zelo made sure he led me in the right direction this time. 

"Okay, do you have a key?" he asked once we were in front of my apartment, I nodded.

"Yeah, here." I grabbed it from my pocket and gave it to Zelo. I heard the door open a few seconds later. It was weird having someone else lead me in my own apartment. He helped me through the door, I had him let go of my arm. It was easier navigating through this house on my own."You can sit on the couch if you want, I'll get you something to drink." I told him. He stopped me.

"No, it's okay. I'm not thirsty." He said.

"You sure?" I asked him, he made a small noise of assurance.Once we were both sitting on the couch, I finally thought of a question to ask Zelo."Then...what about you? Do you have any friends?" I asked nonchalantly. I was trying to get to know him better.

"Yes, I do." He answered subtly, and I imagined him nodding his head with a smile on his face. It was the tone of his voice that lead me to believe this I suppose. I was getting better at knowing the tones of his voice but I still couldn't quite read him as well as I could have.

"Are they nice?" I asked, it was odd how he seemed to playing a guessing game at all times. I was determined to make sure he was less guarded around me, that way our friendship would develop.

"Yes. He's nice." This kid was so vague.

"Where does he live?" I tried again, there was a pause as the silence in the room grew louder, I tilted my head at that.

"Seoul."

"How old is he?" My questioning was getting a little weird at this point but I couldn't help my curiousity, I wanted to know more about him.

"One year older than me." He sighed a little, I could tell he was getting annoyed now.

"And...how old is that?" I asked, pushing him a bit further, I know I should have been patient with him, but the questions kept slipping the longer he avoided me.

"I am a little thirsty now Hyung, can I go get a drink?" He asked, the couch he was sitting on creaked a little as he got up and I brushed off the tense atmosphere. I cleared my throat, I could tell he was trying not to be rude but I couldn't help but think that he was being a bit cold with me.

"Yeah sure, just go check the kitchen." I decided against asking Zelo anymore questions. I'd just wait for him to bring it up himself. I waited for a couple minutes waiting for Zelo to come back, but he never did. I was about to go check the kitchen when I heard a scream. I shot up from the couch."Zelo! Zelo are you okay?" I called out into the kitchen with a panicked voice. I made my way to the kitchen quickly.

"Go away!" I heard a shriek as I entered the doorway.

"Zelo! What's wrong?" I located where he was at, he was leaning against the counter on the floor with his knees tucked into his chest. I felt for his arms, then his hands, which were over his ears. "Zelo? Answer me." I said moving closer to him.

"Go away!" He yelled. "Please!" He kicked outwards and kneed me in the stomach. I coughed a little, regaining my breath. What the hell?

"Zelo calm down, tell me whats wrong!" I never felt so useless without my eyes before. I cupped his face in my hands. I couldn't tell what was wrong with him. If he was hurt, I couldn't tell because he wouldn't answer me. "Zelo?" I repeated. I didn't know what else to do so I tried to calm him down. I held him, hoping he'd stop thrashing around. He kicked his legs out and tried to get away from me. His hands were still covering his ears. "Zelo, please calm down." I his bangs away from his forehead, he was really sweating a lot. I could feel his chest heave in and out, and his breathing becoming choppy and ragged as if he was being strangled. His face was wet, and I knew he was crying. 

I rocked him back and forth for a bit and after a few minutes his breathing started to even out. I sat on the floor next to him, my arms were secured tightly around him, just in case he started to freak out again. I took his wrists and pulled his hands away from his ears. He leaned his head against my shoulder, I looked down towards him, I wished that I could see him. He whimpered and then buried his head into my chest, he started sobbing. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders, he held my shirt tightly in his fists.

I didn't think about anything else, the only thing on my mind was Zelo. About 15 minutes had passed, his sobs had quieted down.

"Are you okay now?" I whispered in his ear. I knew he wasn't, but at least he wasn't crying anymore. He nodded in defeat and hugged my waist."Do you want to lay down?" I asked him. He didn't answer, I trailed my fingers up and down his back. Then, I heard soft snoring from below me. I laughed softly, so he wouldn't wake up. "You must have been tired" I whispered softly, I freed myself from his grip, then picked him up in my arms. I walked slowly through the halls, being careful not to bump him or myself into anything. I kicked my door open lightly, then walked to my bed. I stopped when my feet came to a halt. I settled Zelo down on my bed, then covered him up with sheets.

I sat down next to him and lifted my hand, smiling gently I settled my hand on his forehead."I wonder if you're more trouble than your worth." I said to him and shook my head, that was impossible. Although a little confused about the episode that just happened I knew that whatever Zelo's story was, I would be able to handle it. After all, my story was no fairytale either. 

I lightly squeezed his shoulder and noticed his scarf was still on. It must be uncomfortable I thought. I found the ends of the scarf and unraveled it. My fingers hovered lightly over his neck, then I felt something weird. Thick, raised lines ran under his chin, trailing down his neck. I furrowed my eyebrows, I traced every one of them, there had to be at least 15. It was weird. What were they? They felt like jagged, raised lines on his skin. I decided to ask him about it later. I folded his scarf and set it next to his head.

"I wonder what you look like." I whispered to him. I rubbed the back of my fingers against his cheek. He leant into my touch. Making cute noises as he slept. "You must be a cute guy." I patted his head and got up, moving to the living room to let Zelo sleep in peace.