Chapter Three

His Voice

Zelo POV

I helped Yongguk return to his apartment, then walked back to mine. I lowered my head a bit while walking, I felt bad for lying to that man, but this could finally be my chance. A chance to have someone who will be my friend and not stare at me for what I look like, or how I occasionally acted.

I walked into my apartment and looked in the bathroom mirror. I took off the mask that covered my neck and chin, I felt the scars that started at my collar bones and ran all the way up to the bottom of my chin. This was part of the reason why no one wanted to talk to me. This is the reason why no one would listen. But will Yongguk give me a chance if he just knew my personality first? I won't lie to him forever...but...just for now. 

And if I tell him my real age, will he still want to talk to me? The between us is pretty big about 6 years actually. He said he was 23. If only he'd give me a chance. Then, maybe my new life here with my mother won't be too bad.

All I want is someone to give me a chance, and listen to my story for once. Someone who won't care too much about appearances. Or won't judge me. All I am hoping is that Yongguk will be this person.

After those incidents that happened to me not longer than 3 years ago, that's when my head started to act up. People would call me crazy because of how I was sometimes. But it wasn't my fault, It's because I remember clearly what happened all those years ago. When I do act a little weird, its because its like I'm seeing and hearing those things again from that time. It's like reliving a nightmare in my head. Maybe it's because I'm still afraid.

I don't speak too much, hardly at all. But it's easier knowing that Yongguk's gaze isn't fixated on my odd appearance. It's easier knowing that he can't see the things that make people want to hate me. 

I put my mask back on and patted down my blonde hair.

I smiled cheerfully at the mirror.

If only this world didn't judge on appearances. Then maybe....if they'd just get to know me, I wouldn't be so bad.

 

Yongguk POV

 

"What a cheerful kid." I thought as I laid in bed. It took me a few minutes to find an actual bed to lay in after exploring the rooms a bit.

He makes me want to be happy too. I almost forgot that I was blind when I was with him. Almost. It's hard not to notice that your vision is gone when you lived with it for 23 years. When he speaks, it's so detailed that I can almost imagine what everything around me looks like. His voice holds kindness, and takes the place of my eyes. As we walked back to the apartments, I remember him describing everything around us while he held tightly to my arm. Of course it is easier to imagine because I was given the blessing of sight for the past 23 years. But now that it was all taken away from me...

When he talks about himself though, he's so vague. It makes me wonder what kind of person he is. He seems like one of the happiest people I have met. But I am also curious...I'll get to know him more tomorrow. But for now I'm going to sleep.

 

<><><>

 

"Yongguk! Yongguk you'd better wake up right now!" A pillow hit me in the face and I jolted awake. It still felt foreign to wake up and not be able to see light pouring into my vision. I always thought waking up to sun in my eyes was annoying. Now I long for that day to come, I can't even tell if the sun is out or not.

"Here, you need to put these drops in your eyes. The doctor said you need to do this once everyday." Himchan threw a small bottle into my lap and I sighed loudly.

"I don't want to." I grumbled, throwing the bottle somewhere else on the bed. Himchan huffed in annoyance before grabbing my upperarm tightly.

"Would you like me to force this into your eyeballs?" Himchan asked threateningly. I shook my head, a little frightened by him. He could be scary when he wanted to be. "Good, then open your eyes." I opened my eyes and laid back. Himchan climbed onto me and put two drops in each eye while he held me down, I blinked it away when it stung my eyes.

"Ah- do you have to sit on me like that? Get off me!" I pushed Himchan away from me, he sighed with approval, happy that he got me to put the drops in my eyes. Like that was some sort of accomplishment.

"Hey! I worked all day! Be nice." Himchan hit me on the head and finally climbed off of me. 

"What time is it?" I asked, I had misplaced my watch device already. It was a watch that could tell me the time, the top opened so I would be able to feel where the clock hands were placed.

"Almost midnight, you slept all day." Himchan laughed. "Youngjae and I have work tomorrow, so I'll be going to sleep early. There's food on the counter. I already heated it up for you and there is a fork on top of the lid. You shouldn't have any problems." I felt Himchan's hand on my arm. He lightly pulled me off the bed and guided me out of the room. 

"In front of you is the living room, there isn't much in here right now, but it's okay. To the left of the living room, through this door-" Himchan continued guiding me throughout the apartment that I had already memorized. "Is the kitchen. It's quite small, but we shouldn't worry too much." He led me out of the door and back into the hallway. "This first room, is your room, and the second door next to it, is where Youngjae and I are if you need anything. We decided to share a room, since we both work early in the morning and we wouldn't want to wake you up." Himchan led me further down the hallway, a few steps. "Then here, is the bathroom. You shouldn't have any problems here. The toilet is to the left of you, the sink is right in front of it. The shower is in the corner." I nodded, smiling happily. I was relieved when he showed me the bathroom because I didnt want to feel around the room where most germs were at. Himchan went silent for awhile, he still held onto my arm though.

"Thank you Himchan, you're the best." I hugged him tightly and he struggled in my grip.

"Hey, stop with the creepy stuff." He pushed me away from him and I ruffled his hair. "I'm going to sleep then. Go eat your food now, and take a shower! You smell like an old man."

"Wow, thanks Himchan." I said sarcastically. I heard him laugh as he made his way down the hallway. "I hope I don't slip and fall in the shower! If I do, it will be on your conscience! " I yelled after him.

"Whatever! Oh! By the way, let me know if you need help with the shower situation." He called from down the hall and I scoffed.

"Like that's gonna happen." I grumbled and made my way outside the bathroom.

I decided to eat first. I easily made my way throughout the small apartment now that Himchan confirmed where everything was. I ran my hand over the kitchen counter and found the container that held some food. I hurriedly ate it, then put it in a small sink that was in the corner. I found the fridge from earlier, it was quite small and it sat in the corner. I opened it and searched for some water. When I finally found some, I gulped it down and put the cap back on, then headed to the shower.

<><><>

I wasn't very tired, I slept all day and now my sleeping schedule was way off. I sat down on the couch and listened to music until I drifted off to sleep again. I would probably get up around 9 am or somewhere around there to have some time before meeting Zelo.

....

....

....

When I finally awoke for the second time that day, my neck was killing me. I sighed, knowing that if I wanted to know the time I would have to find my watch device. After hearing the birds chirping outside, I decided it was early enough to get ready, so I went to my room to find a -what I hoped- was a plain t-shirt and jeans. Himchan told me he would sew a button on the inside of the plain colored shirts, place safety pins inside the others and cut the tags out of some so I could tell the colors and such apart. The same would go for my jeans. I was grateful for all the things he was willing to do for me.

I had no idea how my hair looked and I didn't do much with it anyways, so I just brushed through it and washed my face. Brushing my teeth took longer than it should have because I couldn't find the toothpaste. For some reason somebody thought it was clever to put it on the shelf in the bathroom. After that struggle, I located my cap and sunglasses, then, grabbed my wallet that I left in the front pocket of my suitcase, which was carelessly thrown in the corner of the room. I knew I had some money in it, Youngjae had folded the bills differently so I could tell them apart. Both Youngjae and Himchan were such a big help this past week, I made a mental note to thank them for it later. I took my wallet with me, just in case Zelo convinced me to buy something for him.

I searched for my watch device for a while, but I couldn't figure out where I placed it and it only made me become frustrated so I hurried out the door, trying not to run into anything. Once I got outside, I was lost again. I stopped and thought for a moment. Then I heard foot steps walking past in front of me.

"Excuse me." I said to whoever was walking past. The footsteps stopped in front of me and I self consciously touched my sunglasses to ensure that they were in place.

"Yes?"

"Can you tell me the time please?" I asked, nervously fidgeting, I could be late and I wouldn't even know it. A panicked feeling crept up inside of me and I tried to calm myself down.

"Its almost 11." He told me, his voice was bored and maybe a little hurried but I couldn't really tell. It finally registered what the man said and I cursed under my breath.

"What?" I asked slightly uneasy and anxious about the whole ordeal. I was late.

Very late.

"Yeah, its about 10:50 right now." He seemed genuinely annoyed now so I didn't keep him any longer.

"Oh, thank you sir!" I nodded to him politely then hurried in a direction I hoped was the fountain where we met last time. I was panicking a bit so I couldn't quite remember the directions I mapped out in my head yesterday. I should have just told Zelo to come and get me at the apartment instead. I stopped when I heard running water, and smelled flowers because of the garden that was nearby. I sighed in relief.

"Zelo?" I asked, hoping to get an answer. I couldn't find the bench I was sitting on last time. I suddenly got an idea.

"Bokshil!" I called out. "Bokshil!" I yelled again. It took a few seconds but then I heard barking, then panting. I knelt down. The dog, which I quickly identified as Bokshil, started to my hand. I knew Zelo was probably nearby.

"Hi Bokshil! Where's your dad at?" I asked, petting the dogs fluffy fur down. The dog obviously didn't answer my question, but someone else did.

"I'm right here idiot." I heard a laugh that I knew I would quickly become fond of.

"Zelo! I'm glad you didn't leave! I'm sorry for being late, but I couldn't tell what time it was after I woke up because I couldn't find my watch device and also I couldn't find the toothpaste." I quickly stood up, Zelo laughed a bit at my story and I grinned. I felt a light tap on my shoulder, "I'm over here." I heard him say I quickly turned to face him, he was standing just to the right of me. "Oh, sorry." I laughed lightly, he took my hand in his, which startled me a little. "It's okay! But now you have to walk Bokshil." He sighed and put the leash in my hand.

"Okay, fair enough." I smiled at him, he grabbed my arm, and began to pull me along, he seemed eager about the whole situation, "Where should we go first?" He asked me, and I imagined he would have looked at me inquisitively. "Wherever you'd like to." I told him confidently.

"Okay then! There's a coffee shop nearby, and there's a lot of stores over there. Let's go there first!"

<><><>