Chapter Ten

His Voice

 

Yongguk POV

Soon after getting the news that my sight would be back, I decided that this would be the perfect time to confess my feelings to Zelo. I have come to terms with everything. I was well aware that we were both men, and also that I have never seen him before. I was never one to care too much about who I dated. It wasn't worth wasting time on something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place. I would date whoever I wanted, and the fact that I didn't know much about Zelo could easily be fixed. I was willing to wait for him. I just hoped that maybe he felt the same, even if it was just a little bit.

I knew Zelo was angry, but if I suddenly brought this up maybe he would forget about it.

I know he will listen, and that's all I ask of him.

Himchan POV

"Youngjae, is that who I think it is?" I asked quietly, gripping Youngjae's jacket. He looked over with caution and spotted two men with black suits on. They were both sporting hats and had expensive shades covering their harsh eyes.

"Yep, that's them." Youngjae sighed. His tired eyes scanned the grocery store, "Come on, we can go out the back." Youngjae led the way out the store, he didn't seem too surprised to see them. It's either that or he didn't mind getting his face punched in.

"How did they find us? Do you think they followed us here?" I asked, we hurried to our car, looking around, making sure there weren't any others in the parking lot.

"No, I think they're looking for us, but its a coincidence that were here at the same place. We'll be fine as long as were not spotted." Youngjae gripped onto my hand tightly to reassure me as we settled into the car.

"Are you sure?" I asked, the only thing on my mind was getting out of the parking lot as quickly as possible.

"Yeah, we just need to be careful from now on. They'll eventually move on." 

"Yongguk shouldn't go out of the apartment anymore then. It's more dangerous for him to be out." I sighed in relief as we began to drive down the street.

"You're right, I don't think he'll like the sound of that though."

<><><>

"You mean I'm basically a prisoner here until I get my sight back?" Yongguk asked, his tone slightly annoyed.

"Pretty much." Youngjae patted his back in understanding.

"Sorry Yongguk, it's just that we can't risk it anymore. We're in more danger now that they're searching for us, it means that if we don't have all their money up front, we're all dead." Himchan's voice came out stressed like it often was.

"How much more time do we need?" Yongguk asked, rubbing his face.

"A few more weeks? Maybe more..." Himchan mentally counted, thinking up an accurate number.

"To be exact,  2 weeks and 5 days." Youngjae concluded, Himchan glared at him. 

"That's what I said." Himchan pushed Youngjae's head playfully. "Anyways, by then we'll have all the money we need to pay them back, plus the amount we saved last year."

"That's good then. We'll have enough to get back on our feet?" Yongguk asked hopefully.

"Yep, then we'll be free. It's gonna feel good to not have to worry anymore." Himchan sighed happily and the other two agreed with him, they all let the idea settle in their head, dreaming about a life where they wouldn't have such a burden weighing on their shoulders.

<><><>

Zelo POV

I decided to go visit Yongguk today, I was feeling better and I felt a bit guilty for leaving him alone. Plus, I needed to tell Yongguk that I was going to move back to Seoul. I walked up to his apartment and knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" A deep voice asked, I paused and smiled softly. I answered his question with my name and the door swung open quickly. "Zelo?" He asked, I reached out for his hand and held it.

"Yongguk hyung, hey I'm sorry for-" I wanted to tell him how sorry I was, but he seemed distracted by something else. He seemed determined, so I stepped back in confusion.

"Come on, let's go to the park." He grabbed my wrist and waited for me to lead him. I tilted my head a little and smiled at his antics, he was always doing something like this, I shouldn't have been surprised. He tugged me along when he realized I wasn't going to move.

"Why are you in such a hurry?" I asked curiously, walking next to him and heading towards the park. He shrugged a little, a worried crease appeared on his forehead. Was he stressed out about something?

"I'm just excited is all, I'm happy to see you today." He bumped my shoulder a little and I felt my heart flutter. 

"Sorry hyung for-"

"It's okay Zelo, really. I understand." I smiled, even though he couldn't see it. "By the way, if you see some shady people with suits on, tell me okay?" 

"Okay Hyung." I didn't think too much of that, I was too curious about the way he was acting.

"I can't leave my apartment after this, so you'll have to visit me more often okay?" I wondered why he wouldn't be able to leave his apartment but I guessed it had something to do with the people he was avoiding. It was his business and it's not like he knew anything about me so it wasn't fair for me to ask him about his personal life. Not only that but I wouldn't be seeing him after today anyways.

"I will." I figured that one more lie wouldn't do much harm.The walk to the park was peaceful. None of us really talked, I just let Yongguk listen to the sounds of the birds and the fountain nearby.

"Hyung, I have to tell you something." I said once we were in the middle of the park, my heart was pounding and I swallowed hard.

"Wait. First let me say something." Yongguk took a deep breath and started with what he wanted to say. I had a bad feeling about it. "Zelo, I know this might sound weird...or even new to you. But, just hear me out okay?" He took a deep breath and my eyes widened, I knew where this was going, "For a while now, I've been having this weird feeling whenever I hear your voice. I get happy and excited and nervous all at once and I can't control it." No please, not this. "At first I didn't know what this was, but you made me feel like I wasn't alone, and I just really want to thank you for that. But more than that I figured it out and...I think, I think I might...-"

"No hyung! You can't say things like that..." I interrupted him, then stepped away from Yongguk. He reached his hand out to catch onto something he was slowly losing. "I can't handle you saying things like that." Another lie won't hurt, another lie won't hurt. "I don't feel the same way, it's disgusting." No, it's a lie. Don't believe me, Yongguk. My heart felt like it dropped into my stomach and I turned around to avoid the look on his face.

"I have to go. I'm leaving this place, and I'm never coming back." I paused and gathered all the strength that I had, "Don't wait for me."

 

 

Yongguk POV

My heart seemed to stop beating after he said that. No, it can't be true. I listened closely to his voice, I hoped and prayed that he didn't really mean what he was saying,

Did he know about my feelings all this time?

"Wait, Zelo!" I heard footsteps running from me,"Please." I decided against running after him, it was no use. Instead, I sank to the ground and settled on the damp grass beneath me.

"Don't go." I whispered.

He just...ran from me. 

He left me as if I meant nothing to him.

 

Zelo POV

This feeling I had of overwhelming guilt was eating me alive. If I had known that this was the outcome I never would have spoken to Yongguk that first day we met, everything has gone too far. This lie that I am, this facade, this mask that I put up is all fake. And I'm sick of myself, I'm a terrible person. I should have stopped this lie before it came to this. I knew what Yongguk wanted to say, and I felt the same way, but I'm not who he fell in love with. 

He fell in love with the idea of me, and that was fatal. I had to save him before he destroyed himself.

...

"Mom?" I pushed open the door to my apartment harshly, I hated how my voice sounded, It was pathetic. I was pathetic.

"What is it?" She asked softly from the chair in the livingroom, she was reading a book. After all, she was a peaceful and quiet woman. I didn't have time to admire her beauty for the pain in my chest was far too great.

I took a deep breath, "I want to go back to Seoul to live with Jongup." She seemed shocked. I clenched my fists at the idea, how could I go back to the place that broke me? I was repulsed by the idea.

"Why Junhong? You know why we moved here, why would you want to go back?" She whispered to herself and I felt like crying in her arms but I didn't.

"Please, I miss Jongup." I paused to steady my voice, "Truthfully, without him here I can't function well mom. It feels like I am starting back at square one, I feel safe around him." I fixed my eyes on the ground as she stared at me, "Just for right now, please let me go." I whispered in one final plea. She stood up from the chair she was in, and walked over to me. It seemed like an eternity but she finally placed a hand firmly over my blonde curls and leaned in to kiss my forehead. I shut my eyes tightly and sighed in relief, knowing that this meant she would let me go.

"Okay," she seemed hesitant and fearful but I didn't blame her for that,  "but if you have any trouble you're coming right back." She patted my cheek a little, "Understood?" I nodded my head, thankful that she was willing to let me stay with Jongup. "Go call Jongup then."

...

After calling twice, Jongup finally picked up his phone. "Jongup hyung?" I asked, curled up in my bed. Just the thought of calling Jongup made me anxious, it had been a while since I contacted him. I shut my eyes tight to remind myself that he was a person to be trusted, I shook off the paranoid feeling and swallowed hard.

"Junhong!" He said happily, it made me smile a little bit. Yes, Jongup was a good person, Jongup would never hurt me.

"Jongup, can I live with you for a while?" I asked hesitantly, burying my face in the blankets of my bed, I waited for his reply. Doing this would worry him, no doubt. I didn't want to concern him at all, but there was no avoiding it, Jongup was always worrying about me.

"Sure Junhong, but is something wrong?" There he was, stressing out over every simple thing. This was probably because he knew of my past. Whenever I had bad nights I would ask Jongup if I could stay over at his house. I guess he figured this was a similar situation.

"I'm just feeling a little lonely." 

"Ah, poor Junhong. It's okay we'll have fun together just like old times okay? But, I'm not living with my parents anymore. I live with a hyung that I work for, is that okay?" I didn't expect that, it made me feel like an inconvenience to someone else so that made me feel a bit bad. 

"Yeah that's fine."

"But Daehyun hyung's policy is- if you want to live here you have to work for him too." He seemed to be imitating someone else's voice and I guessed it was supposed to be his boss. He laughed at his own impersonation and I laughed a bit with him. It made me feel better that I would be able to work while I was there.

"Okay, it's not like I have anything better to do." I laughed softly, secretly relieved.

"Okay Junhong." He paused and I could hear him shuffling around and closing a door. "Hey...is something really wrong? I can hear it in your voice." He said quietly, probably so he wouldn't scare me off. He always spoke to me that way when I was distant from him. 

"I'll talk about it when I arrive okay?" I told him, and he seemed satisfied with that answer. 

"Alright, have a safe trip." I sat up in my bed, and muttered a thanks to him. "I'll see you soon," He said happily and I smiled one last time before ending the call.  The smile I had on immediately disappeared and I placed my phone under my pillow and collapsed in bed, rolling onto my stomach. I sighed into my pillow and tried to get some rest.

<><><>

 

Was this all a game to you? 

Playing with my feelings like this.

Am I so easily shaken?

I was vulnerable and you messed with my head.

I never should have said anything to you.

______________