Chapter One

His Voice

 

 

"You should have been more careful, Yongguk. I'm always warning you! Do you ever listen?" Himchan paced back and forth in the emergency room as Youngjae watched him with sympathetic eyes. He knew that whenever Himchan nagged it was because he was panicking.

Himchan continued to rant, "Didn't I tell him? I told him, didn't I?" he stomped around the room angrily. Youngjae shook his head and sighed softly, "Yeah, you did...but he can't hear you right now Channie." Youngjae settled down into a chair against the wall, observing Yongguk's battered body sleep on the hospital bed. His eyes softened with guilt and his hands trembled slightly.

"I hope he will be okay." Himchan gave up trying to prove his point and sat down. He lowered his head to hide the tears that were beginning to well up in his eyes.

"Me too."

<><><>

A few hours later, both Youngjae and Himchan noticed the slight twitch in Yongguk's hands. "He's waking up, Youngjae! Look!" Himchan pointed at Yongguk's bruised face. Youngjae stood up slowly and stretched, walking over to the hospital bed. "I see that Himchan," he looked at him with amusement shining in his eyes. Himchan rushed over to Yongguk and patted his shoulder softly, "Yongguk? Can you hear me...you can, can't you? Are you okay?" he poked around Yongguk's body to check for reaction. It was silent for a moment while Yongguk gained his bearings and struggled to sit up. He swatted Himchan's hands away, determined not to let his antics run wild like he always did. 

"Yes, I can hear you. I'm not deaf, won't you please shut up for two seconds, I have a headache." Yongguk growled, tenderly rubbing his bandaged head with both hands, his eyes were still sealed shut. Himchan glared at him, crossing his arms over his chest. He huffed and began his long, angsty rant about how he deserved better treatment, "Don't talk to me like that! You know who waited in this emergency room for two days? Huh? It was me! That's who!" 

It went silent again and Youngjae watched from the corner of the room with concern.

Yongguk rubbed his eyes.

Then blinked.

He rubbed his eyes again.

"H-hey...I...I...." Yongguk's voice trembled. He stared out blankly in front of him, and blinked several times. "I cant see!" Himchan and Youngjae exchanged panicked glances and rushed to Yongguk's side. He shook his head with panic, feeling his face and arms. "I can't see!" He repeated again, reaching his arms out in front of his face, desperately trying to grab something near him.

"Youngjae, go get the doctor." Himchan grabbed onto Yongguk's trembling hand, trying to stabilize his shaking. "Calm down." 

<><><>

Youngjae and Himchan stood around the doctor and Yongguk, waiting to hear the news about his eyesight. 

"Mr. Bang, you suffered quite an impact to your head. Luckily you're not in a coma." The doctor chuckled softly and Yongguk nodded, not quite understanding why the doctor was so cheery. "It appears that because of such an impact...it caused you to lose your eyesight." Himchan's gasped quietly and Youngjae watched the scene sadly. All three men were shocked. "However...it is only temporarily." That piece of news was a relief to all of them, It was quiet for a moment while everyone thought about the same predicament. 

Youngjae stepped forward a bit and hesitantly asked the question that everyone was wondering, "For how long?"

The doctor shook his head and stood up from the chair that he was sitting in, "At this moment, its hard to tell. It could be months, maybe even years."

Himchan shook his head, "But sir...isn't there something you can do?" he pleaded.

The doctor thought for a moment, then nodded, "There's a special surgery we can perform...but it's a very expensive procedure." The doctor waited for a reply while Himchan bit his lip in thought. It would make the situation they were in even worse. Not only that but this whole problem had been mostly Himchan's fault and the guilt that it caused him would last for a lifetime. He felt that he owed it to Yongguk to do everything he could to get his eyesight back, but he couldnt even do that- not with all the burdens that they had weighing down on them.

"I don't need the surgery." Yongguk's firm, deep voice interrupted them and the doctor nodded in understanding. Yongguk was known for hiding his feelings, even from those that cared the most. Losing his eyesight scared him to death but he didnt show it, there were too many things that were more important than his own sight and that was the safety of Himchan and Youngjae.

"In this situation, there isn't much we can do, be thankful it's only temporary." The doctor then left the room with that final word and everyone exhaled, the tension in the room was suffocating.

"I can't believe this..." Yongguk whispered, he was drowning in nothingness and there wasn't any other way to explain it. He tried to hold on to something but he just couldn't do it. It was like a continuous spiral downwards into darkness and he couldn't stop it. Whenever he took a step forward it seemed like life was determined to push him three steps back. That's how it had always been and it wasn't fair, Himchan and Youngjae deserved better.

Himchan decided now was the time to talk about what was bothering everyone, the problem that always managed to steal freedom away from them, "What are we going to do now? We're still trying to pay off the money we owe those guys...and now that you can't see...." Himchan trailed off.

Yongguk cleared his voice, determined not to sound weak, "We need to move then, far away from here." Yongguk spoke loudly and with false confidence. "It will keep them off our tails for a little while longer."

Youngjae nodded, agreeing with the decision, "We'll get the money while were away, come back to Seoul, pay them back and then we won't have to worry anymore." he spoke while smiling. It was hard not to fake his optimism. He was already calculating the time it would take and the money they would need to accumulate. The three of them were always ready to leave to different locations, they had become accustomed to running away after all these years.

Himchan focused on taking deep breaths, these things had always made him anxious. "Okay...we'll do that then. I don't think we have much of a choice anyways..." Himchan sighed, knowing that only bad things could come from their plan.

"Good, we'll leave soon then." Yongguk laid back in the hospital bed, keeping his eyes closed.

Both Youngjae and Himchan watched with worried gazes.

 

<><><>