School

Subway

Sometime in the Future…

            “Seohyun-a!” Seohyun looked up from her phone (Yonghwa was texting her the battle going on for some snack between Minhyuk and Jonghyun). She caught a glimpse of her manager’s huge pink bow and managed to throw her phone under the desk in time.

            “Yes Ms. Park?” Seohyun started typing on her keyboard and clicked save. She was done with all the work anyway.

            “You know that you are one of our best and youngest workers right?” Her manager tossed her hair over her shoulder, managing to skew her sparkly bow in the process.

            “Um well thank you Ms. Park.”

            “So I’m afraid you have to leave.” Ms. Park exclaimed with a smile as she ran manicured nails across Seohyun’s latest report.

            Seohyun blinked. “Excuse me?”

            “Oh that came out a little strange. You see my dear, the company wants to promote you!”

            “So why do I have to leave?”

            “Because you need a college degree for this promotion, but we just snatched you up straight out of high school. So we have a plan for you to take a two year course that will get you a business degree in a jiffy, and then you can come back and work whatever you want. Oh and don’t worry, you’re smart so being thrown in as a 3rd year shouldn’t be too hard. And we’ll pay tuition and give you some allowance so you’ll be just like a college student!”

            “Um…okay?”

            Her boss clapped her hands. “Wonderful! Now why don’t you go home so you can wake up nice and early to start school tomorrow!”

            Seohyun scrambled up into a bow and paused. “Wait where am I going?”

            “Oh well you were already accepted into Seoul University so I guess we’re sending you there. See you in a couple years Seohyun-a!” Ms. Park waved both of her hands and then scrambled off to yell at an incompetent intern.

            Meanwhile, Seohyun’s phone was going crazy as Yonghwa was trying to figure out why she wasn’t texting back.

            YH: Hyun!

            Hyun!

            Why aren’t you replying????

            Are you in trouble?

            Did I get you in trouble?

            Is your phone confiscated?

            Dear Seohyun’s manager, I’m sorry if Hyun is in trouble…

            It’s all my fault…

            Can you please give the phone back to her?

            Hello

            Hello?

            SH: Hey it’s me, sorry had to talk to my manager

            YH: Oh good, anything wrong?

            SH: nope, but I think I’m going home early tonight…and I’m off work tomorrow. See you tomorrow?

            YH: It’s a date ;)


            The next morning, Seohyun opened her blinds to see that it was a crisp autumn morning; the sky was a perfect blue and the trees outside her apartment were turning a ripe red. She hurried to put on a scarf over her sweater and pulled on her boots as she waited at the bus stop.

            Even though her classes didn’t start until 11, she still had some paperwork to figure out at the office. A familiar boy was typing in the empty office as the bell chimed to announce her entrance.

            “Hello I’m L, can I help you?” the handsome eyes looked up and crinkled as they recognized her. “Oh hi Seohyun, what’s up?”

            “Oh you work here too?”

            “Well it’s more like student intern and everyone decided to go on vacation or call in sick so I’m alone…but Heejoo should be coming here in a second with my lunch before she goes to class.” L grinned at the thought of his girl and food. “Do you need any help?”

            “Um yeah, actually my boss wants me to do a 2 year business program so I have to drop off these forms?” Seohyun cautiously held up her manila folder full of different colored pieces of paper.”

            “Oh you’re the really smart girl?” L stopped typing and reached for the folder. “Wow already in order, makes my job a lot easier.” He grinned and just tossed the folder onto another desk. “All set.” He pulled up a page on his computer and pressed print.

            Seohyun watched as a paper with colorful blocks appeared and was placed in front of her.

            “So here’s your schedule.” He took out a pen and started scribbling in various names. “Just for the first time in each class, I’m just going to write in some names so you’ll be able to have some assured friends in the beginning.” He pointed at the different colors. “For English, you’re going to have Heejoo with you, you’ve already met her. She was also born in the states, so her English is really good.” He looked proud of his girlfriend and continued.

“Then for your business requirements, you’ll have Woohyun hyung in both classes. He’s in infinite with me…but he’s kinda…greasy in a sense…” L looked at Seohyun and tilted his head. “No I think I’ll stick you with Hoya hyung. Much more well-behaved.” He nodded with satisfaction as he fixed the name. “Then I’ll have you with me in math. Jonghyun’s also in there too.”

            Seohyun nodded as she looked through the courses and memorized names.

            L frowned. “Your schedule’s a little busier than everyone else’s since they’re putting you on a two year track…but they said you could handle it.” He pointed at the last blue block. “And this will be your elective class. Anything in particular you want to take? I strongly recommend the music theory and performance class. I have several friends in that class.”

            Seohyun shrugged. Music was fine with her.

            “And Yonghwa’s in that class if it makes it better.”

            “Yep, I’ll be just fine.” She smiled and was just signing her name on one last form when the bell chimed again.

            A small girl wearing a beanie and carrying a small round lunchbox walked in. “Oh hi Seohyun-a!” She grinned and her eyes smiled behind her glasses. Heejoo handed the container to L who smiled gratefully. “I packed a lot of food so you don’t get too tired.”

            “Thanks Heejoo!” L carefully put the lunchbox aside and saved the documents on his computer. “Oh Heejoo-ya, Seohyun’s in your English class so if you can help her get settled, that would be great.”

            “Oh sounds fun! Finally someone who isn’t part of Jisun’s group!” Heejoo clapped her hands and then dropped them. “But oppa, Jisun’s in that class.”

            L frowned and then smirked. “What if I—“

            “No oppa, you cannot change her schedule and move her to a multivariable calculus class.”

            “But I can—“

            “And no you cannot give her failing grades”

            “But Heejoo-ya, I can—“

            “Nope you are not going to alter her profile so it looks like she already graduated or got expelled.” Heejoo’s stern look still had a hint of joy in it. “I told you not to abuse your power. You can get kicked out for that too.”

            L pouted. “I just want to make it easier for you. And Seohyun.”

            Heejoo just patted his head. “Well eat lunch on time today. Come on Seohyun-a, let’s go to class.”

            “Bye L, thanks a lot!”

            “Bye!” L waved as the two exited the building.


            Heejoo pointed out various buildings and spouted off interesting facts all while rummaging through her purse for something. She celebrated when she came up with a spray bottle in hand.

            Seohyun looked at the tiny bottle. “What is this?”

            “Well it doesn’t look like you have really pointy heels, really long nails, and your hair isn’t in a secure bun, so I’m just giving you some weapons.” Heejoo handed her the bottle and tied her own hair into a bun.

            “Weapon?”

            “Well yeah, you’re dating Yonghwa oppa, right?”

            “Yes.”

            Heejoo nodded. “Well Yonghwa oppa is one of Jisun’s targets. So she’s going to try to get rid of you and all that stuff.”

            “And I’m assuming you speak from experience? L looks like he would be pretty popular too.” Seohyun grinned at the blush spreading over Heejoo’s face.

            “Well yeah most of the girls were mad at first. But it’s not like I could help it. He and I were in a couple classes and he asked me out so I said yes. But things got pretty nasty for a month or so. But then L got mad when he found out about it and then I didn’t get into too much trouble.” Heejoo shrugged. “But I made this little concoction in case any of the other popular boys got themselves a girl that wasn’t completely crazy.”

            “Is it dangerous?”

            Heejoo shook her head. “I just made it in the chemistry labs on a weekend. It’ll just knock someone out for an hour or so. By then, someone will help.” Heejoo opened a door to a building. “Here we are.”

            They climbed up a few stairs before entering a classroom. “And this will be our English classroom.” Heejoo announced before ducking and pulling Seohyun down with her. A cosmetic bag spilling its contents flew threw the air, nail files slicing the air where their heads would have been.

            “BYUN BAEKHYUN HOW DARE YOU NOT TAKE ME TO THE ICE CREAM SOCIAL? ALL THE CHAEBOLS WERE THERE AND I COULDN’T EVEN SHOW UP BECAUSE I DIDN’T HAVE A DATE!” A familiar voice was shrieking at a bored looking blond.

            Jisun was standing on top of a table in 5 inch heels and still, the top of her still kimchi red hair barely reached his chin. Which proves how short the girl was as Baekhyun wasn’t exactly the tallest boy in the university.

            Baekhyun just looked irritated and rubbed his ringing ear. “Why would I take you?”

            “BECAUSE! HOW DARE YOU TAKE TAEYEON INSTEAD?”

            “Okay, first of all there is no relationship between me and you. Second of all, Taeyeon is my fiancée. Third of all, you could have just asked someone else or gone with one of your cousins.” Baekhyun slumped into a chair and plugged in his earbuds, which were jerked out as soon as they were placed in.

            “NO, FIRST OF ALL WE HAVE BEEN FRIENDS SINCE PRESCHOOL. SECOND, YOU WOULD NEVER AGREE TO AN ARRANGED MARRIAGE. YOU EVEN REFUSED WHEN OUR PARENTS TRIED TO PUT US TOGETHER. THIRD OF ALL, ALL OF MY COUSINS ARE OVERSEAS AND HOW COULD I ASK ANYONE ELSE WHEN ANYONE ELSE WORTH ASKING WAS ALREADY GOING WITH SOMEONE ELSE?” Jisun was shrieking, but her voice never gave out…this must have been a regular practice.

            Baekhyun rolled his eyes and took a deep breath. “WE WERE NEVER FRIENDS, I JUST PUT UP WITH YOU FOR BUSINESS REASONS. OF COURSE I WOULD REFUSE WHEN OUR PARENTS PUT US TOGETHER, THAT WOULD BE THE WORST REALITY EVER. AT LEAST I LIKE TAEYEON AND I ACTUALLY WANTED TO GO OUT WITH HER. JUST ASK SOMEONE EARLIER AND TRY TO ACT NICE FOR ONCE. MAYBE SOMEONE WILL GO WITH YOU TO THE NEXT SOCIAL!” He coughed and frowned. “If my voice isn’t in perfect shape by music class later today and someone else takes my spot in the duet with Chen, I will destroy all of your heels.” He got up from his seat and quickly migrated to another one, where another boy handed him a throat lozenge.

            Jisun huffed angrily and turned to the door. Her eyes widened in surprise and Seohyun noticed the huge circle lenses in them.

            “What are you doing here?” Jisun’s voice had softened, but still held a deadly undertone.

            “English class?” Seohyun ignored the frantic tugging on her sleeve and calmly looked at the class. “So this is what Seoul University is like.”

            “Can you just go back to whatever inferior university you came from? I don’t think you can keep up with the rest of us.” Jisun smirked.

            “Actually, I went straight from high school to work. I just came to get my degree so I can get promoted.” Seohyun smirked back.

            “You mean go from a dishwasher to a cashier in a chicken store?”

            “Actually the government, but if you want to call it that, be my guest.”

            Everyone in the classroom blinked at those words and a soft buzz went around the room as people started whispering and wondering who this new girl was.

            “So Jung Yonghwa loves a girl who works and can already make money. I see how it is.” Jisun grinned winningly and plopped in a seat before opening her makeup bag.

            “Oh is this her?” A newcomer standing behind Seohyun looked at her before nodding “I approve. I think there’s more to her than money and whatnot.” He smiled and Seohyun noticed that the corners of his lips curved up when he did so.

            “And you are?”

            “My name’s Chen, well that’s my stage name at least. Yonghwa told me about you, but he never said anything about you being a student. Hey Heejoo, I need to ask you some sciencey questions about the lab later today. L said something about bodily harm with those nunchucks of his if I cost you your perfect GPA.”

Chen grabbed the two by the hand and started to lead them to the back of the room when he stopped in front of Jisun. “And here you go. You really need to eat some more, girls shouldn’t be that skinny.” He handed her a napkin with two cookies inside of it.

“Chen, you’re the best.” Jisun grinned, an almost genuine smile it seemed.

“I try.” Chen smiled back and led the other two girls to where Baekhyun and the other boy were sitting.


“So this is Yonghwa hyung’s muse. Well she certainly made a great song at the showcase.” Baekhyun studied Seohyun before nodding. “I’m Baekhyun, even though you probably already got that from earlier.”

Seohyun smiled and nodded. She turned towards the other boy who looked like he might fall asleep any moment.

“That’s Lay hyung. He’s an exchange student from China.” Chen looked around before stage whispering to her. “He’s a musical genius. Can compose anything in the blink of an eye, can play any instrument, has perfect pitch, everything.”

“Hey, I can’t read music. What do you mean everything?” Lay had a slight accent, but his pronunciation was really good.

“Well you can also dance and Yonghwa hyung can’t. This one’s available too Hyun if you’re interested.” Baekhyun announced playfully.

“That’s okay, and my name’s Seohyun.”

“Oh it’s a couple thing! Well my apologies Miss Seohyun.”

Heejoo just rolled her eyes before turning back to the lab write-up that Chen had handed to her. “Looks good Chen. The only thing is your font is weird and the graph is a little too small, but other than that, it’s pretty good.”

“Yeah, I was trying to make it exactly 20 pages, but I guess I’ll make the font one size and just make the graph bigger. Don’t worry, I’ll print it before lunch. Thanks Heejoo!” Chen placed the packet back in its folder and took out the English textbook.

“By the way, why are you nice to Jisun today?” Heejoo wondered as the class got louder while waiting for the teacher to arrive.

“I’m always nice!” Chen looked affronted.

Lay grinned as he saw the twinkle in his friend’s eye. “Our ChenChen is trolling again. It’s been awhile, what’d you do?”

“What trolling? You know I swore that off.” Chen innocently took a sip of his coffee and opened his English book. “Now if you don’t mind, I want to study some English vocabulary.”

“Ok pranking, whatever you want to call it. Come on tell us, or I won’t do dance tutoring for a week and you have to do that performance soon, Chensing machine.”

Chen looked a little scared, but just continued reading. “I’ll just go ask Kai for help.”

“He’s doing performances for the next week and won’t be able to spare you even ten minutes.”

“Fine, I’ll tell you, but be quiet about it.”

Seohyun leaned closer; she was curious what could’ve happened.

“Well, you know the cookies I gave her? Well one of them…has something in it that doesn’t really sit well with people. So about halfway through the class, I think we’re going to see someone ask Professor Han if she could use the restroom.”

“Oh, Chen’s too nice, is there like a stomach relief pill in the second one or something?” Baekhyun rolled his eyes at the childish prank.

“Yep. But here’s the thing, look at the napkin. She ate one cookie as soon as I gave it to her and I bet she won’t even eat the other cookie. It just depends on which one she ate. Pick your bets!” Chen chortled and noticed Seohyun’s mixed expression. “Don’t worry, it won’t cause that much harm. Besides, it’ll keep her out of your schedule for today.”

Seohyun nodded, but still felt bad about knowing Jisun’s fate. But to almost everyone’s disappointment, there was no asking to go the restroom or any sign of discomfort on Jisun’s face. After class, she just sweetly waved at Chen, glared at everyone else, and click-clacked her way out of the room.

“Be prepared for a direct confession around tomorrow. Oh and bring earplugs because she might wreck your perfect pitch hearing when you reject her.” Baekhyun patted a miserable Chen after class was over.

“Lay hyung, when do you go back to China?”

“Well, I have to go for a couple weeks to sit some exams, but I’ll be back soon. I think I’m leaving this weekend actually.”

“Great, let me go with you!” Chen bounced out of his seat. “I can just avoid Jisun for a couple days, go to China for the time period it takes for her to get over one boy, and then I’ll come back to a normal life.”

Heejoo rolled her eyes. “Just be sure you’re on time to our biology class. Come on Seohyun-a, I’ll drop you off at your next class.”

The new student just nodded and waved goodbye to the other boys.


Seohyun grabbed a sandwich in the lunch line and quickly paid the nice lady at the check out counter. It had been a long day and it was just 2 in the afternoon.

She had already finished one of her business classes with Hoya and Woohyun. The two were very nice, but Woohyun had some kind of muscle disorder or something wrong with him…It looked like he was sending hearts to every single girl in the lecture every second and it caused waves of girls to be knocked down. Hoya seemed more studious, but he also seemed like he had some muscle problems because he kept dancing in his seat without realizing it.

Then she had math with L and Jonghyun, which was fine except for the fact that all the girls were staring daggers at her for sitting with two of the handsome-est boys in the classroom.

In short, Seohyun was having the time of her life. There was nothing like learning vast pages of information in just a few hours, having the nervous feeling when a teacher announced a test, and having lots of people her age to share the misery with.

But when she turned around, chocolate-chip cookie and sandwich in hand, she realized that she didn’t know anyone in the vast hall. All the tables were filled with students discussing projects and eating their lunches. Seohyun looked at her watch and realized she had 2 hours before her last class of the day, might as well get a head start on all of her new homework.

The day had warmed up and various students were walking to their classes or reading books on benches. She noticed a lot of hand-holding and grinned at the thought of being a campus-couple with Yong.

She had just unwrapped her sandwich with her English homework in her lap when a few shadows hid the words from her view. Seohyun looked up to see more than a few girls glaring at her.

“Um annyeong?” Seohyun stood up and gave a small bow as all the girls looked a little older than her.

“Annyeong? The first thing you say to your sunbaes is annyeong?” The tallest girl standing near her laughed derisively. “Fine, annyeong to you too. Now if you can get out of our area, thank you.”

Seohyun looked around to see that she was sitting in a mini amphitheater and other students staring at her. “Oh is this your area? Sorry, I’m a new student.”

“Obviously, so move.” The tall girl brushed a stray strand of hair out of her face and sat herself down.

“Wait unnie, I think it’s that girl.” A smaller girl wearing glasses and a huge pink bow stared at Seohyun. “Isn’t this the girl that Yonghwa oppa posted on his facebook?”

Seohyun groaned to herself. So that was what Yonghwa had done with that selca they had taken on white day. She felt herself being jerked around by the tall girl, her bag fell to the grass with all of its contents spilling out.

“I think you’re right Ahreum. So this is the girl who took away Yong oppa.”

“Don’t call him that.” Seohyun flinched and tried to grab her stuff. “I’m sorry if I intruded. I’ll be going now.”

“Not so fast. I want to get to know this new girlfriend of my oppa.” The tall girl smirked and motioned for the other girls to get closer. “He might as well have picked Jisun if he was going for this girl.”

A few giggles were elicited from the other girls.

“If only I had a few more days, I could’ve had him in the palm of my hand.”

“I’m sorry, but I have to go to class.” Seohyun tried to leave again, but the other girl’s grip was too strong.

“No, I don’t think you’re going to. You see, you and I are going to have a little chat.”

“No thank you.”

“No one says no to me.”

Seohyun rolled her eyes. Were all the girls, besides Heejoo, so conceited and full of themselves around here? “And who might you be?”

“I’m Kim Semi, heir to Lotte department.” The girl grinned and pulled out a gold card from her pocket. “Here, if you show up within this time limit, I’ll only increase your purchase by 50% instead of 100%.”

“Is this a freaking drama? This isn’t a college for chaebols, it’s the best university in Korea.” Seohyun was starting to get ticked off.

“Are chaebols stupid? How else do you think we run our companies so successfully? I happen to be second in the entire university, if only if it wasn’t for that little miss perfect Heejoo. I can’t believe she got away with L.” Semi made a face and glared at Seohyun. “And I could’ve made Yonghwa just as rich if only he hadn’t gone with you.”

“Hi girls.” A familiar voice sliced through the growing crowd, which parted to admit a familiar boy. “Hey Hyun.”


Seohyun grinned at the sight of him. “Hi Yong oppa.”

“Hyun? Wow, you’re taking this way too far sunbae.” Semi frowned and threw Seohyun’s arm out of her grasp. “I see you’ve rejected my invitation to the ice cream social, I ended up having to go with my father’s secretary’s son.”

Seohyun sighed. It really did seem like a drama, where there was one party that everyone had to go to and caused a mess.

“I think Hyun and I had a date that night. And I think we also had ice cream.” Yonghwa smiled, but it didn’t quite reach his eyes. “And I would appreciate if all of you left Hyun alone.”

“Fine, I was just leaving anyways.” Semi frowned. “Wait, this is my area. But since I’m nice, I’ll give you time to clear out while I go to art class.” She waved a perfectly manicured hand in the air and left with the massive crowd of girls.


Yonghwa rolled his eyes and searched Seohyun. “Did they hurt you?”

“No, why? Do all of your girlfriends get beat up by them?”

“I don’t really hang out with girls…they all surround me and I didn’t feel like coming to someone’s rescue just for 2 weeks.” Yonghwa grinned. “You’re my first real girlfriend, just remember that.”

Seohyun bowed exaggeratedly. “I feel very special.”

“And you should, here let me help you grab your stuff and I’ll show you around campus before our music class starts. I still can’t believe you’re here. If only Chen and Baekhyun hadn’t been so loud in the hallway, I would never have found out you were here until class started. And then you would’ve been all defenseless against the chaebols of Seoul University.” Yonghwa feigned sadness and continued to grab Seohyun’s stuff that was strewn around on the grass.

“I learned taekwondo, thank you very much.”

“Wasn’t it a yellow belt or something?”

“Well I advanced farther than some other students.” Seohyun huffed and looked at her sandwich. “Have you had lunch yet oppa?”

“I think I’ll grab something at the café, an ice coffee or something.”

“Oppa, coffee is bad for you! Especially when it’s cold. And you’re just going to eat the ice again, which is bad for your teeth.” Seohyun started unwrapping her sandwich and grabbing a few pens that had rolled under another bench.

“Calm down, it’ll be fine. It’s better than this perfume you girls spray everywhere, even though it makes the chemistry labs smell better. What’s your perfume Hyun?”

“I don’t use perfume, but I do like those scented loti—“ Seohyun heard a spritz. “Wait oppa, I didn’t have perfume in my bag.” She turned around and saw Yonghwa lying on the ground…knocked out completely cold.

“What?” Seohyun checked his pulse and everything seemed fine. Then she remembered what Heejoo had said about weapons. She felt bad, but she let a small giggle escape from . He looked so peaceful lying there with the small ‘perfume’ spray bottle clutched in his hand.

“And one hour starts now.” She set the timer on her phone and finally took a bite of her sandwich.

This chapter was written on a very long 4th of July roadtrip and so if there were some unnecessary exo detours/seemed like heirs or some other random chaeboly drama...I apologize...

but yes, sorry this story took a little stereotypical turn here, but don't worry...we're going to hopefully get into some more of that 'original plot' thing you guys are talking about...i have no idea...this chapter literally wrote itself as I was starving and watching endless disney dramas...movies...wow I can't believe I wrote dramas...I'm really losing it...

But yes keke all the sm dating rumors and whatever going on in the industry right now is crazy so I'm just going to sit here and wait...and hope that maybe they'll say something about our lovely yongseo couple? I'm procrastinating right now...I should do summer reading...Oh yeah a bunch of test scores came out so for those of you with exam scores i hope you did great (we survived and that's all that matters!)

In other news, thanks so much for voting and subscribing and showing love to my other yongseo fic (for those of you who are ok with the exo here...I kinda went exo crazy in the other one...) but yeah huge milestone for me!!! You guys are awesome :)

So yeah...long A/N, you probably wasted a minute of your life if you're still reading...

But anyways.

Thanks for reading :)

- chocolate-notes :)