Lessons

Subway

You're a darling

You're more beautiful than the stars above in the night sky
 
“You’re t-t-teaching me? Um, ani! I don’t have a death wish!” Seohyun stuttered. She started undoing the straps and was about to kick the board away when he stopped her.
 
“Oh come on, I’m not that bad. I promise I’ll get you boarding down the mountain in no time and I won’t let you get hurt.” Yonghwa gave a genuine smile and handed the board back to her.
 
She huffed. “I’m glad I wrote a will.”
 
He blinked. “You’re only like 21 and you wrote a will? Someone’s prepared.”
 
“Well how else is everyone supposed to know I want my organs donated?” She stuck her tongue out and walked outside.
 
Yonghwa just stared at her. *wow she’s weird. I bet she would think that donating blood is a good date* he thought for a moment. *Well, I guess that wouldn’t be too bad…* “Yah Seohyun! You need to go up with your teacher!”

Seohyun tried to scooch as far away from her teacher as possible, but the guy in charge of the lift made her move over for safety reasons. Frowning at the two guys, she sat down and looked around at the scenery. “Wah so pretty!” She exclaimed as she watched the hotel get smaller along with the skiers. It was snowing softly, covering everyone like powdered sugar.

She froze as she felt an arm stop her from leaning forward. Looking up, she saw Yonghwa looking concerned.
 
“Don’t get too impressed or else you’re going to fall out.”
 
“Oh…arraso.” She breathed a sigh of relief as the lift arrived at the top and she slipped her way to the edge and gulped. “Can we go back down?”
 
Smirking, Yonghwa adjusted her so that she wasn’t in danger of falling anymore. “Yeah but there’s only one way down, so you better learn fast.” He grinned and started to teach her the basics.

After falling into the icy snow more than once, Seohyun was soaked. She couldn’t even give up because of one thing, Jung Yonghwa. He was always asking if she was okay, if she just wanted to slide their way down to the bottom, etc. That look of concern and pity was seriously starting to get on her nerves.
 
“I said I would learn and I’m getting down to the bottom by myself!” she refrained from screaming at him, but still spoke a bit louder than her usual polite voice.
 
He just laughed. “Arraso. You’re already doing really well.”
 
It was true. Seohyun had already made it halfway down the mountain without seriously hurting anyone.
 
Yonghwa helped her up and was going through the steps of how to do an S turn when a little girl around eight year old was about to lose control of her board. She was zigzagging all over the place and was screaming at the top of her lungs. He let go of Seohyun and managed to catch the girl as she went flying up in the air.
 
Making sure she wasn’t seriously hurt, he asked “Gwenchanna?”
 
She was crying a little, but didn’t seem that shaken up. “Ne, gamsahammida.”
 
Her father skidded to a stop in front and thanked Yonghwa for saving her. 
 
“Oh it’s fine. I was just teaching a lesson to Hyu—“ he frowned. *Where’d she go?*

Seohyun? Well she was going down the mountain…But it wasn’t really because of her amazing snowboarding powers and skills. More like gravity? The only thing going through her mind was *Aish that Jung Yonghwa. If I die, it’s all his fault for letting go of me*
 
She gulped when she saw that she was head towards a steep drop when she felt someone beside her.
 
“Aigoo hyun, what do you think you’re doing?” Even in the face of death, he was still smiling.
 
“Yah! Help me!” She yelled over the wind.
 
He just laughed. “Ok, wait for me then.” And with that, he pushed her off to the side and continued on his own.
 
Seohyun was about to go and slap that Jung Yonghwa again, but realized that she was safe and had landed on a soft pile of snow on the side. *Wait, did he just save me? Huh, maybe he isn’t soooooooo bad…*
 
Taking off her hat, she looked to see his bright blue jacket zigzagging gracefully between the other people. He did a few spins and quickly made it down the mountain in record speed.
 
She couldn’t help but feel impressed. “So this is the guy that said he liked me and disguised himself at Lotte,” she whispered to herself. *Hmmm I can’t remember why I hated him other than the subway thing…*

“Didn’t I look cool?” Yonghwa smirked and slid to a stop, spraying snow all over her.
 
*Right that’s a reason. He’s so cocky.* “Aish jinja!” Seohyun dusted herself off and almost fell over again when a sudden gust of wind blew by, turning the soft flurries into a blizzard.
 
“Is this safe?” she looked up at the gray skies and snow pounding on top of them.
 
Thunder rode past on his snowmobile and called out to Yonghwa, “There’s a severe snowstorm on the way. Is she good enough to snowboard down?”
 
Seohyun squeaked out a “Ani-yo!”
 
Yonghwa agreed with a sigh and settled her down on the vehicle. “I’ll meet you in the lobby!” He waved at Cheondoong and took off on his board.
 
“Hyung's a very good teacher isn’t he?” Thunder asked Seohyun before starting the engine and following after the good-looking snowboarder.
 
“Ne” whispered Seohyun. He didn't hear her over the whine of the engine.

Thanking Thunder, she got off the snowmobile and almost got pushed back by the wind. She knocked into something, which turned out to be Yonghwa and she jumped up. “M-Miane-ayo!”
 
He just groaned, “I think you broke my back.”
 
She opened to retort something about her not weighing that much, but closed it. This guy had saved her life after all. She might as well not insult him. 
 
Yonghwa laughed. “I’m kidding. Come on, let’s get inside.” 
 
He turned towards the lobby but froze when he heard a soft “Gamsahamida…for saving me.”
 
Seohyun was fiddling with her jacket straps and looking everywhere but at him.
 
Taking her hand and dragging her inside the building, he asked her “It wasn’t that big of a deal.”
 
“Yes it was. If you hadn’t pushed me to the side, I would have been a goner.”
 
“You wouldn’t have been a goner…I mean maybe a full body cast, some extra time in the hospital, me getting sued a billion won, but nothing too bad.”
 
“Ne?” 
 
He laughed and just steered her towards the desk where she had signed up the night before. “Like I said, it’s not a big deal.”
 
“Yes it is. You have to let me thank you somehow.”
 
“Then forgive me.”
 
She frowned. “Forgive you?”
 
“For that night in the subway. I really am sorry about that, I don’t know how many times I’ve asked you, but you really should by now,” he pouted.
 
“Arraso, I’ll forgive you for that.”
 
“Yay!” he clapped. “Now if only you’ll act on your feelings,” he muttered.
 
“Sorry, I didn’t hear that.” Seohyun leaned in and raised a questioning eyebrow.
 
“Nothing! Dara noona, we’re done with our lesson because of the storm.”
 
While Yonghwa was checking off a few things, Seohyun wandered around the lobby and sat down with a mug of hot chocolate. The little girl from earlier ran over and sat down.
 
Seohyun blinked. “Can I help you?”
 
The little girl looked around eight, but looked just as possessive as any teenager or adult. “Yes. You see that guy over there? That’s my oppa and he saved my life. So stay away from him.”
 
“Wait, you’re 8 and you call dibs on a 23 year old guy? There’s a bit of an age difference, don’t you think?”
 
“Age doesn’t matter in love. And I’m 8 and a half!” she replied indignantly.
 
“Well the guy’s already confessed to me so he’s not all yours. Plus he just saved me like he saved you” She felt a little childish, but stuck her tongue out a little. She felt like she back in elementary school in those girl fights over the best looking guy in the class.
 
“He loves unnie?” The little girl frowned. “Aish jinja.”
 
Seohyun’s eyes widened. Not at the curse, but what she had said the first time. *He loves me? Nope not true. He’s probably just a nice person. And was I just jealous of an eight year old???*
 
The girl shrugged. “Oh well. Good luck unnie!” She smiled and ran off.

“Here is your graduating certificate on snowboarding!” Yonghwa presented the paper with a smile and sat down before helping himself to some of her hot chocolate.
 
“Yah!”
 
He froze and put the cup back and winced. “Sorry, didn’t know you were so touchy about food.”
 
“Why did you give me a B?” she practically yelled and waved the certificate in the air.
 
“Oh have you never gotten a B. Wow you really are smart.” Seeing that she really didn’t care if he drank her drink, he had another sip. “Mmmm, that’s good.”
 
“Wae!” Seohyun was almost in hysterics. 
 
“Well, you see the checklist?” She turned and looked at the thing with 10 requirements and 8 check marks. “You never really got that S turn and you actually didn’t make it down the mountain. You’re lucky I didn’t take off points for running away from your teacher.”
 
She bit her lip, nostrils flaring a little bit. *Calm down Seohyun. This is the guy who saved your life. Who care if it’s the first B you’ve gotten since second grade?* 
 
Yonghwa whimpered a bit as she took the drink away from him. He had just been about to eat the marshmallow... 
 
“T-thank you Yonghwa-ssi for your lesson and for s-saving me.” She bowed again and went up to her room.
 
He frowned. *That girl is so weird. Going from murdering me over an 80 to being polite. And it’s not even that cold polite, it’s a nervous polite. Maybe she’s finally fallen for me* A tune started forming in his head and he grinned. That was his song.

Yonghwa rushed upstairs and pulled out his guitar along with a book filled with empty lines of music. The block in his brain was finally gone and lyrics were flooding his mind right now. His hand started to cramp, but he ignored it.
 
He was fiddling around with the words when he heard a scream from next door. *Hm probably some weird teenager listening to music…Wait Seohyun’s next door!*
 
A million scenarios played in his head. Seohyun cutting her finger while slicing fruit, a masked man coming into her room, or running out of gogumas…Throwing open the door in between their rooms, he rushed in…
 
…to see Seohyun standing on top of the bed in a bathrobe and screaming at a black speck on the floor.
 
“Hyun? Are you scared of bugs?” Yonghwa felt his mouth drop open as she kept screaming.
 
He picked it up with a Kleenex and threw it out the window. “It’s gone now.”
 
Seohyun relaxed and grinned. “Gomawo-yo…” She looked down at her attire and up at a smirking Yonghwa. “What are you doing here?”
 
“Well you screamed so…” he found himself being pushed towards the door.
 
“You can leave now.” Seohyun pulled the door to shut it, but didn’t quite finish when she realized that she had left the water running.
 
*Aish is he a guy with no manners? Barging into a girl’s room like that.*

Yonghwa frowned. *Okay then…* He thought of another line and took a sip of his coffee before turning back to his work.

Once Seohyun got dressed and was drying her hair, she heard a different song from next door. She belatedly realized that Yonghwa must have been the one playing the night before and sat outside the adjoining door.
 
*It’s nice.* She thought and closed her eyes before leaning her back on the door. It was a catchy tune with lots of riffs and the person playing was humming. He had a great voi—
 
Yonghwa looked up at the squeal and stopped playing. Seohyun was on her back, in her pajamas, and on the floor of his room. “Can I help you with something?” he asked with a grin.
 
She just groaned and got up. “I was just listening…” she noticed that Yonghwa looked amused and was wearing a…very well-fitting wife beater. “Your music’s really good,” she whispered with a blush.
 
“Thanks.” He grinned and continued playing. He jotted a few notes on the page and continued to perfect his tune.
 
Seohyun watched him play with admiration in her eyes. The way his fingers grazed the strings and coaxed the piece out, it was something she wasn’t really used to. She had played piano and violin, but those were instruments that everyone her played. No one’s ever played a guitar in front of her.
 
“Do you play?”
 
“I can play the piano a little.” She felt a little shy (well how else would anyone be around the guy who she hated, then saved her life, and turned out to be a really talented musician?) and dusted herself off. “Goodnight Yonghwa-ssi.” She bowed a little and went back into her room, closing the door behind her.

*So if ‘saving’ her would get rid of her grudge, how would he get her to return his feelings…while she was awake? She isn’t like most girls, so I can’t just be my usual romantic self. I’ll have to try something different.* He looked down at his guitar and grinned. 
 
*She obviously loves to learn things, never getting a B in her life…And she learned how to snowboard pretty fast. What if I taught her how to play? Would that get me some points? Music is a language in itself, like that movie Once! Except without that whole sad ending part…* He high-fived himself like a choding and hurried to finish the lyrics of his song.
 
Yonghwa frowned. *How do I teach her guitar? It’d be weird to go ‘Hey Hyun, you told me you loved me while you were drunk so I’ll teach you how to play guitar and then you’ll love me and we’ll live happily ever after forever!’* He cringed and gave up on thinking. The right moment would probably present itself, wouldn’t it?
 
Hmmm I don't know about that Yong ;) sigh it's not edited but I'm too tired miane! Word of advice...never play mario kart with your brother while listening to a 5 hour long kpop playlist and eating eddy's ice cream...it's the best way for procrastination to happen and to gain at least 10 pounds...
Hope you all had a great hoiday and Happy New Year!!!
thanks for reading!!!
- chocolate-notes :)