Duet Contest

Subway

 

“Yonghwa oppa. Wake up! It’s me Seohyun. I need you to go on a romantic date with me. Jebal?” a soft voice woke Yonghwa up the next morning.

            He blinked, trying to wake up and get past the blur he was seeing right now. “Hyun? What are you doing in my room?” he muttered as a smile crept onto his face. Does that mean she finally came around? Were they going to live happily ever aft—

            “OH MY GOSH YOU CALL HER HYUN!?! HOW LONG HAVE YOU TWO BEEN DATING?” he heard a shriek and realized with a start that no it was not Seohyun but an idiot noona.

            “Dara noona? Aish seriously?” He blinked to see Dara on the floor laughing and fangirling. Groaning, he buried his face in the pillow to hide his embarrassment. This was the perfect way to start of his morning.

            “Aw come on Yong! You haven’t swept her off of her feet yet?”

            He tugged at the blankets and tried to cover himself up against the harsh cold that had come along with the manager. “I just got to be her friend.”

            “That’s so sweet! Oh and by the way, here’s your ticket for the next bus that leaves in an hour.” She handed him a green ticket and patted the lumps she thought to be his legs.

            “pufb debmet?” The pillow muffled his words.

            Dara rolled her eyes and dragged him out of bed, making him land on the floor. “Come again Yonghwa?”

            Wincing, he massaged his back and looked up at her. “Bus ticket?”

            She hurried around and started packing his belongings, more like throwing them in his direction. “Yeah. There’s another storm coming and unless you’re leaving next week, it’s advised that you go home right now and we’ll just give you discounts the next time you come.”

            He caught a comb before it could stab him in the eye. “Arraso, thanks noona.”

            Nodding, she gave him a wave and left the room, still chortling about her imitation.

 


 

            Yonghwa stuffed everything into his bag, grabbed his guitar case, and locked the door behind him. It wasn’t too bad, he had to go to school eventually anyways. He sighed and looked at the door next to his.

            He didn’t know Seohyun enough. It might break their tentative friendship if he barged in at 7 in the morning. He didn’t know her sleep schedule…and it would be just plain weird and awkward. She might even be staying longer and wouldn’t have to leave early. Thunder would have a fun time teaching her.

            Sighing, he went downstairs and showed his ticket to the bus driver. Yonghwa claimed his old seat in the back and took out his notebook. All of the lyrics were pretty much finished, but needed some final revision.

 


 

            He woke up from his nap when the bus jerked to a stop. His half-revised lyrics scattered as he shot forward down the aisle and ended up with his face on the floor next to an old couple.

            “Are you all right young man?” A grandmother looked at him in concern.

            He sheepishly got up and bowed. “Ne.” Yonghwa gathered up his sheets and walked back to his seat, head bowed. Aish, why didn’t he wear a seatbelt?

            “Attention everyone. The bus has broken down. We are very sorry for the inconvenience. The good news is that we’re somewhere in Seoul. You are all welcome to sit and wait, or else you can take the sub—“

            The words had just started to leave the driver’s mouth when all the people sitting towards the front surged forwards to the doors. Someone’s bag knocked the microphone from his mouth and he sighed before opening the doors.

            Yonghwa looked out the window and grinned when he saw that they were right outside his favorite music store. He gathered his things, bowed to the driver, and hurried into the building.

            He needed spare guitar strings and headed towards that section, when he spotted a familiar pink coat by a piano.

 


 

            Seohyun left her suitcase by the door. She didn’t want to drag it through the aisles filled with expensive instruments and be sued a fortune.

            There were shiny guitars lining the walls, violins on shelves, and pianos every few feet. She looked longingly at a chestnut Stradivarius. If only she hadn’t stopped playing during high school. Then her eye caught sight of a pink guitar. It was very pretty and seemed to inviting her to play. She was about to touch it, until she saw the price tag. There was no way she was going to spend around 200,000 won on something she didn’t even know how to play. Walking out of the guitar area, she found herself in the middle of the store among dozens of pianos.

            A huge crowd was gathered around one of the grand pianos. Maybe it was some kind of famous concert pianist? Sighing a little, she walked towards a piano on the other side. Her unnies had always told her she could have majored in music, but her studies had been more important.

            Her fingers ghosted over a few keys, long concertos and movements forever memorized with muscle memory. She grinned and started the melody to one of her favorite kpop songs (yes it was her secret guilty pleasure).

            She played the remix version of Infinite’s Can You Smile. All of their songs were on her ipod and she thought they were one of the few rookies that were polite to their sunbaes. Then she started her next favorite song.

            Seohyun was one of those people who could listen to a song once and figure out the notes within a few tries. Her left hand played four notes while her right hand moved over to start the other part of the duet, when she found that someone else’s hand had already beaten her to it and was already playing the right notes.

            She looked up to see Yonghwa smirking a little as he played. Shaking her head a little, she tried to figure out the notes she had heard on her ipod during the long bus ride. U-kiss’ 0330 had come out a few years ago, but it was still one of her favorites.

            Yonghwa kept perfectly in time to her, which she found a little weird. The sheet music had never been officially released, how did he know how to play?

            As soon as it was over, he pushed her a little to the side and started to play a familiar melody that made Seohyun smile. His fingers flitted from key to key as they played one of the catchiest melodies and heartbreaking songs of all time, Wedding Dress by Taeyang.

            She nudged him during the middle, the boring part in the piano piece, and played Kim Bo-Gyeong’s Suddenly. The one that was played at the end of every City Hunter episode?

            Yonghwa watched and cut in just like she had and started…the chopsticks song. It was the song every kid in Korea learned when they were 3. Even if it was simple, it was still very pretty to hear. He looked at her with a smile and moved down an octave so she could join in.

            That is, until he realized that she was playing the counter melody and trying to show that she was better. He raised an eyebrow and just sped up, trying to throw her off. But Seohyun kept up, going just as fast. She snorted. There was no way she was going to lose to him.

            By the end, their fingers were playing so fast that you could hardly hear the melody anymore. It just sounded like a bunch of notes that harmonized well together.

            Seohyun finished with a flourish of her right hand, Yonghwa his left, and the two laughed at their little competition.

            Applause erupted all around them, and they froze. The crowd that had been at the other end ended up migrating towards the duo during their first duet. The shop owner stepped forward and handed Seohyun an envelope. “You two have won the duet contest! Here is a 300,000 won gift certificate for anything in the store.”

            “Duet contest?” Seohyun frowned at the envelope in her hand. “But we didn’t en—“

            “Oh thank you so much! Yes we practiced very hard for this competition, didn’t we Hyun?” Yonghwa took the envelope from her and grinned.

            “Um, ne?”

            The shop owner clapped his hands. “Oh it’s so wonderful to see a couple that can actually play music together! It’s so rare to see that these days.”

            “Oh we aren’t a co—“

            Yonghwa bowed. “Thank you again. Come on Hyun.” He grabbed Seohyun’s hand and led her away from the crowd. A tall boy, who could easily be mistaken for a girl, pouted cutely and frowned at them.

            “I never saw your names on the sign-up list for the duet contest.”

            Grabbing the envelope, Seohyun bit her lip. “We didn’t so this probably belongs to y—“

            “Yah Lee Taemin, what are you doing to those guys? It’s kind of obvious that they won.” A familiar blond walked up and patted his friend’s back. He looked at Yonghwa and Seohyun. “Oh hi you two. Did you make up or something?”

            “Key? What are you doing here?” Yonghwa raised an eyebrow. He never thought he would see the blond diva again.

            “Umma and I were trying to win the duet contest.” Taemin piped up and was about to say more until Key grabbed his hand.

            “Minnie, did you have your banana milk this morning?”

            “Ani.”

            Key rolled his eyes. “No wonder you’re so cranky today.”

            “Key umma, you never gave me any.”

            The blond smirked. “If you dance I’ll go buy you some.”

            Taemin whined a little, but still freestyled to a techno song that was playing over the speakers.

            Seohyun blinked at the movements. They were so perfect, like the music was actually in the boy. His tuts were powerful, his footwork light and flowed well with the music, and all of his moves were crisp.

            Nodding a little, Key took out a yellow bottle from his bag. “You messed up on the footwork in the middle, but it wasn’t terrible.” He sighed and ushered Taemin to the door. “Come on, we’re going to be late for our shift and I really don’t need Choi Minho yelling at me so early.”

            “Arraso umma. But hyung isn’t that bad…”

            The two waved goodbye and left the store. Seohyun turned around and gave the check back to Yonghwa. “I don’t need to buy anything here. You can have it. I’ll see you later Yonghwa-ssi.”

            Without waiting for a reply, she grabbed her suitcase and hurried to catch a taxi back to her apartment.

 


 

            Yonghwa frowned. That girl was so fast with her goodbyes. He looked at the check in his hands and at the strings. He would still have some money over…A light bulb went off in his head and he grinned before pointing at the next shelf. “Ahjussi, could I see that for a second?”

 


 

            Seohyun got back from work the next night to see a package sitting in front of her door. It had fragile signs everywhere and her name on the top. She managed to drag it into her apartment.

            She hadn’t been expecting any packages. Was it a bomb? Wait no, no one was going to bomb an office worker who lived alone. Shrugging her shoulders, she grabbed a pair of scissors and opened the box to reveal the pretty pink guitar she had seen at the store last time.

            Who had gotten this for her? She never told anyone that she wanted to play guitar.

            A note fluttered out of it when she lifted it up out of it’s case.

            First lesson is this Saturday at 8. Don’t be late. –Yonghwa

            P.S. Can’t you just call me oppa already?

            Seohyun grinned and folded the piece of paper with the address before slipping it into her purse. “Thanks Yong oppa.”

Sigh it's only been...like 19 days and that's considered late? Sorry about that guys!!! But it's a long (unrevised) chapter...so I hope it's not a huge disappointment...BEWARE I might not write their first lesson together...Cause I'm having insane writer's block with this story (And all of my other fics too). I know the outline and where I'm going, but it's kind of tedious to spend hours writing this...Yes it takes hours kinda embarrasing but whatever. So yeah piano covers in the links if you didn't click them and they sound soooooo prettty!!!

Key's back cause people loved him...should i add him more???

OH AND to all those lovely people who subscribed to Winter's Photo Album before I even said anything, props to you!!! Keke gomawo!!!

***And I forgot to ask in the last chapter, anyone want to guess Yonghwa's song(s) for Seohyun?

Thanks so much to candym0nster for the new poster cause the old one was crap (which I made btw) hehe it's nice having talented friends :)

Long An but... I REACHED 200 SUBSCRIBERS GUYS!!! And almost half of them came from this fic alone!!! So... thank you so much seriously from the bottom of my heart! I'll try and be a better author from now on :)

See you guys soon!!!

- chocolate-notes :)