Vacation I

Subway

 

*Gomawo-thank you (banmal)

            At exactly 3:30 in the morning, Seohyun woke up to a growling stomach. She groaned before kicking the covers off and wandering into the kitchen. Why was she, one of the most healthy people that stuck to their meal plans and exercised at least 60 minutes a day, this hungry at this odd hour?

            The reason was… it was tax season. As the youngest assistant to the manager, it meant the manager handed a bunch of work to his assistants, who then piled it all onto the maknae of the group…her.

            It had been late nights at the office, where most of it was spent alone with the exception of some strong tea. Last night had been the worst, when 15 company advisors came with all of the forms for their employees. She didn’t have to fill that much in, but she had to look up past records, make sure everything was absolutely correct, and then file everything alphabetically and by date.

            But it was kind of fun, it was probably better than studying all night….even if she did miss those days spent in the library around midnight and going through her notes and textbooks…

            She got out the apples she had cut last night and poured them into the blender, yawning while hoping her neighbors weren’t going to complain about the loud noise. It had been 10 minutes and no one had come knocking on her door to scream at her while in their fluffy slippers, so a little noise couldn’t hurt, right?

            Turning on the tv, she grabbed her shake and blanket…except it wasn’t a blanket but a very comfortable sweatshirt. Blushing a little, Seohyun threw it onto the coffee table and sighed.

            It had been exactly 1 week, 2 days, 3 hours, and around 2 minutes since the last time she had seen Yonghwa and it was driving her crazy. Not crazy like ‘OH-MY-GOSH-I-LOVE-HIM-SO-MUCH-I-MIGHT-DIE’ crazy but like the ‘does-he-like-me, does-he-like-me-not’ crazy.

            She would try to predict with flowers petals but also based it off of random situations. If her boss said he liked her report, then that meant Yonghwa liked her. If the barista forgot to give her her receipt, then that meant Yonghwa didn’t like her…Yes, Seo Joohyun was starting to get a little paranoid…

            Sighing, she stared mindlessly at an old episode of runningman and felt her eyelids starting to droop.


            Seohyun woke up around an hour later with a very sore neck. She was sipping the rest of her ma smoothie when she heard voices in her bedroom. *Burglars?* She took a fry pan and headed in.

            “Doesn’t she have any bikinis?”

            “That’s Seohyun for you, I don’t even think she has any swimsuits. But she’ll need this skirt.”

            “Oh I found a bag noona!”

            3 masked figures were grabbing everything in her closet and stuffing them into a large garbage bag. Since when did burglars steal clothes?

            One of them caught sight of her and tugged the others’ black clothing. “Look, there’s Seohyun noona!”

            She found it a little weird that they knew her name and called her noona, but a burglar was still a bad person. She lifted the fry pan and went in for the hit, only to have it taken it away from her, be flipped, tossed over one of the tallest one’s shoulders, and be carried out of her house like a sack of potatoes.

            “Yah! Let me go! I have a yellow belt in taekwondo!” she screamed at the top of her lungs as they were in the elevator.

            “A yellow belt? Isn’t that the lowest belt?” one of the crooks wondered.

            Seohyun felt her patience waning and started kicking even harder. “No! There’s still a while belt genius! Now let me down before I hit you somewhere you wouldn’t like.”

            “It’s okay, her legs are too short. And don’t say anything else about taekwondo. She had this goal of getting her blackbelt until she realized she had to hit people so that plan ended pretty quickly.” The shorter one laughed and stepped off the elevator.

            “How do you kn—HELP! I’m being kidnapped!” Seohyun yelled at the top of her lungs wondering where all of her neighbors were until she realized it was like 3 in the morning…

            A black van was idling outside the front door and she was thrown on top of something that groaned in pain. The door locked with a click and she sighed at a familiar ponytail bobbing in the front seat.

            “What is it this time?”

            “Just thought you would want a break. We did the usual calling in sick, concerned relative, sending a replacement talk so don’t worry!” a cheery Yoona chirped from the front seat.

            She stepped on the gas pedal, causing Seohyun to come crashing back down on what she had landed on earlier…who she landed on earlier.

            “Hey Hyun.”

            Seohyun looked at a smiling, yet pained looking Yonghwa. “Hi Yong.”

            “Oh will you two please just get a room or something?” Jessica muttered under her breath.

            “But they just said hey to each other…That’s not too bad.” Minhyuk opened a peppero packet while looking perplexed.

            “No, but they’re going to have one of those victorian courtships at the rate they’re going where holding hands would be scandalous. It’s pretty bad if they’re using nicknames.”

            “Lee Jonghyun, why don’t you stop making comments and give up your seat for Seohyun?”

            “Why don’t you do it Yooooooong? You’re her boyfriend. And it’s break!” Jonghyun retorted angrily. He was quite happy with his chair after being awake for 25 hours due to classes, practice, and kidnappings.

            Yonghwa calmly replied “I’m on the floor too… And you have the rest of the week for spring break” while he had a weird feeling in his stomach. *I still haven’t asked her to be my girlfriend. I still don’t know if she likes me. I still don’t know if she really forgave me*

            He felt his phone vibrate as Seohyun and Jonghyun exchanged seats and picked it up.

            Don’t worry Jung Seobang, why do you think we even arranged this trip? You’re guitar’s in the back and I’m sure one of the boys brought a suit for you :)

            He smiled gratefully at Jessica, who rolled her eyes and went to sleep. He decided to make do with a deflated beach ball.


            “Seohyun-a, we’re here.” Yoona’s voice drifted into her dream—no nightmare—of her boss walking in on unfinished work.

            She yawned and looked around to find an empty car with the exception of her and her keroro blanket. Running a hand through her tangled hair, she blinked as she found herself in front of a giant cliff. Huge waves crashed into rocks, soft thunder sounding every few seconds.

            “What is this place?”

            “Oh you know Hyun!” Hyoyeon called as she pulled out a few suitcases and tossed them into poor Jungshin’s arms.

            “No I don’t, and don’t call me Hyun!” she heard a few laughs and could sense a smirk on Yonghwa’s face as he took pictures of the scenery.

            “Jung Seobang! Hands off of my camera!” Taeyeon yelped and saved her most prized possession from a startled Yonghwa.

            Seohyun was so confused she sat down on the cooler Jonghyun and Minhyuk were dragging out of the way. “No food until you tell me!” she felt childish, but she was the youngest and there was nothing she hated more than being kept out of the loop.

            “Um noona, that’s an empty cooler that we were going to fill up with ice later.” Minhyuk whispered.

            Feeling her cheeks flush at the chuckles, she gave up. “Fine, but can I at least now where we are?”

            “Don’t you remember? We were all here last year.”

            “No, she was studying for that job exam and refused to come with us, remember?”

            “Oh yeah…”

            “Wait…you guys all know each other? What?” Seohyun sat back down on the cooler. “Ok, no ice until you tell me.”


            So for the next 37 minutes and 49 seconds, she was told the whole story.

            Yoona and Jonghyun’s dads worked at the same architecture firm. They had been given a new project of building a nice weekend cottage people could go to (for an exorbitant sum of money) when city life got too hectic. The small cottage had been where the others had stayed last year.

            “So you all met each other and never thought to tell me.”

            “No…We just kind of forgot…”

            They had had a good time, sure, but the cottage was a little…boring…and old fashioned. You could maybe get some grandmothers and grandfathers to visit, and maybe the close to retiring couple, but there were sure to be some chaebol kids (rich kids) that would want to come out as well. So the two dads had remodeled it and asked their children to give it another look over.

            “So how many days are we going to be here?”

            “It’s a 1 night 2 day trip!” Taeyeon exclaimed. “Now Seo, here’s the deal. You and Yonghwa are going to have to bring up some food using the staircase that was put in, while we finish organizing everything.”


            The walk up there could have been one of two things. Either really awkward, or really pleasant with a date atmosphere. Turns out, it was neither. And it wasn’t really a staircase. Imagine a steep mountain with a jagged surface, nooks, and lots of crannies. Now imagine a flimsy railing. There’s your staircase.

            “You okay Hyun?” Yonghwa looked back at her and grinned. He took another object from her, a bag containing a watermelon this time, and took the lead again.

            Seohyun pouted at having only one more picnic basket in her hand. Did he think that girls were weak or something? It was time for some payback. “Isn’t it too heavy for you Yong oppa?”

            He froze and then turned with a smirk. “Not at all Hyun~”

            She grabbed onto the railing again and pulled herself up. “Arasso…”


            Yonghwa took in a deep, silent breath and continued to walk forward. Hyun was turning evil now, or she was really clueless as to how he almost dropped everything when he heard the words ‘Yong oppa’. No…she was probably clueless, there was no way she could be that smart and evil.

            He could see that they were almost to the top and thank goodness. There were currently 3 bags of food in one hand containing various chips, sodas, and fruit. His other arm was carrying a box that carried precious instant rice, seaweed, and ramen.

            “You sure it’s not too heavy Hyun?”

            Stuttering to a stop at the top, Yonghwa breathed a sigh of relief before turning around to see a very angry girl holding onto her purse and leaning on the railing.

            “No it’s not that heavy…I kind of forgot to pack while I was being abducted.”

            His eyes opened wider than they already were in bewilderment. “Where’s the food? Did you chuck it all off the cliff?”

            Her eyebrows flew up as she looked at his hands.

            “Oh right, here watch your step as you come up. There’s a tricky spot. Then we can put some of the stuff away before the others get here.” Yonghwa heard a sigh and footsteps climb up a few more feet.

            Dropping the baskets and bags, he grumbled as an apple flew up and started bouncing up and down.

            “I’ll get it!” he heard her call out and looked to see Seohyun chase after the bouncing fruit…that was rolling towards the edge of the cliff.


            Seohyun jumped to grab it, yelping when she missed the red apple and the moment she was aware of her feet dangling above a sparkling blue lake. She shut her eyes and braced for impact until she realized there were a pair of arms wrapped securely around her waist and put her safely on the ground.

            “Yong oppa” she whispered to the boy looking down at her with a worried look. “Gomawo”

            He gave her a nervous grin. “So making you angry and saving your life get me a Yong oppa and banmal?” he leaned in to brush a strand of hair that had escaped her ponytail back. “Guess I need to keep doing that.”

            A soft delighted shriek that choked towards the end caused them to turn their heads to see a small mob on top of a poor tall avatar.

            Jonghyun and Yoona were beside themselves in laughter chanting:

            Yonghwa and Seohyun

            Sittin In a tree

            K-I-S-S-I-N-G

            Taeyeon told them off before waving to the embarrassed pair. “Keep doing whatever you’re doing! We’ll be in the house for the next couple of hours. Whenever you guys are ready!”

            Shaking her head, Seohyun wandered back and picked a few bags. “Let’s go inside and save Jungshin chingu!”

            Yonghwa gave one last lingering look to the water *that’s a steep drop* before putting a grin on his face. “Let’s go!”


            The house was extremely modern, it was a wonder how it blended so perfectly into the rocky, rustic landscape. But when you had Korea’s top architects on the job, pretty much anything was possible. This included installing an elevator the size of a small apartment in the rocky cliffs, which accounted for how the others got up so quickly.

            *It was taking forever to explain the house so I think I’ll just show you a picture…

            On the second floor, Jessica, Yoona, and Taeyeon were in the big bedroom while Seohyun and Hyoyeon were in a smaller loft like room. Yonghwa and Jonghyun, more Jonghyun, had called dibs on the master bedroom.

            The first floor consisted of the kitchen, living room, and a guest room (which is weird in a rental house) that Minhyuk and Jungshin were sleeping in.

            Seohyun gasped as she saw the bedroom.

“I call the loft bed! You can get the couch unnie!”

            Hyoyeon just looked up and nodded. “It’s too high for me…How are you going to fall asleep in that thing? You’re going to roll off!”

            “I like heights though. Do you know where they put my swimsuit? I want to go swimming.” Hyun looked through the garbage bag the others had thrown her stuff in.

            “They said they couldn’t find yours. Go ask Jessica for one, I know she brought tons.” Her unnie fished out a pair of sunglasses. “Let’s go swimming.”


            Everyone munched on apples and watermelon in the living room while in their swim attire.

            “So Jonghyun,” Yonghwa called from his place under the table, “How much does it take to rent this place?” The house was absolutely huge, most of the Seoul students weren’t really used to that much space to themselves.

            “Around 10,000,000 won?” ($10,000)

            “That’s not bad for a week.”

            “Per night hyung.”

            Yonghwa winced as his head hit the glass table above him. “And people are willing to pay for that?”

            Jonghyun shrugged. “Dad has a waiting list for the next two years.”

            Carrying in a tray of drinks, Seohyun looked at them. “Why are we all dressed for swimming when there’s no pool?”

            Everyone laughed while she frowned. “Is this another thing I don’t know because I was taking an exam?”

            Minhyuk offered an answer. “Noona, look out the window.”

            Seohyun took in the glass wall in front of her. “There’s a patio and a random platform.”

            “And beyond that?”

            “Lots of rocky hills.”

            “And below that?”

            “A lake.”

            Taeyeon giggled as she took out her camera. “I need to take a picture of your expression. Maybe a video would be better.”

            Minhyuk sounded a lot like a typical math teacher struggling with his students. “Now you have a platform, a lake, and a swimsuit. What are you going to do with them?”

            It took a few seconds before it sunk in. “We’re going cliff jumping!?!” she squealed.

            Minhyuk gave a grave nod. “Now I know it might be scar—“ he barely started before he got 9 cups of water thrown in his face along with a tray. By the time he could see again, the others were at the window to see Seohyun run towards the platform and jump off.

            Yonghwa blinked. “She likes heights?”

            Nodding sadly, Yoona started towards the door to follow. “Sorry Jung Seobang, you picked the wrong girl to like.”

            The others laughed and followed after Seohyun.


            They splashed around for a couple hours before lying down on a nearby rock.

            “I can see why your dad changed it. This isn’t something most retired couples would want to do.”

            Minhyuk’s stomach growled. “I’m hungry!”

            “Me too.”

            No one wanted to get up, but it was safe to say they were all starving.

            “Rock, Paper, Scissors.”

            After playing 20 games, no one had won or lost. Someone always put out paper, someone always put out rock, and some always put out scissors.

            Seohyun groaned. “I’ll just go get the food. How do I get up?”

            “The great glass elevator of course!” Everyone chorused before falling into peals of laughter.

            “This is one of those last year moments, right? Be right back,” she said as the others went back to trying to win one game of rock paper scissors.


            The elevator doors opened with a ding right next to the house. Seohyun was wondering what to get the others when she saw a head bob behind a chair.

            “Yonghwa? Why aren’t you down there with everyone else?”

            He blinked and looked surprised. “Oh hey Hyun. I was just um reading this book for school. I’m kind of behind. Why are you up here?”

            “To get some food for everyone…” Seohyun looked at him suspiciously. He was crouched down with a Hyoyeon’s romance novel on his lap. Hmmm

            She placed all of the potato chips, cola, the leftover watermelon, plates, and napkins in the elevator, sending all of it down with a single push of a button. Then she made her way towards Yonghwa.

            “So oppa, is that book interesting?”

            “Yeah…Very…Why?”

            Seohyun giggled a little. “Well first of all, that’s Hyoyeon’s twilight novel that you’re reading upside down.”

            He looked down in surprise and groaned. “I’ve been caught.”

            “For your love of Twilight or for something else?”

            “Ummm.”

            She noticed that he was sitting on the ground facing the house and not the magnificent drop of rocks in the other direction.

            “Yong oppa, are you afraid of heights?” she wondered.

            The smile on his face melted into one of fear, then into one of indignation. “No! What me? Afriad of heights? Are you serious?”

            Seohyun clapped. “Good, then let’s go and eat with the others!”

            Yonghwa felt a strong tug and soon he was looking over the edge of the platform. “Um Hyun? About the height thing…”

            “Yes?” she grinned.

            “It’s not that I’m afraid….It’s kind of more like absolutely terrified” he whispered as he closed his eyes.

            “It’s fine. Just look, isn’t it pretty?”

            He kept his eyes closed. “You promise you won’t push me in?”

            “Am I that heartless?” she scoffed.

            Yonghwa nodded and opened his eyes. It was really pretty. Until he felt a rush of wind and the water coming closer and closer. *What on earth did she do?!?*

            He heard Seohyun squeal in delight and then his own terrified yell before the water swallowed them.

            Yonghwa kicked up to the surface and gasped for air as he broke through the water.

            “See, I didn’t push you in!” A voice exclaimed to his right.

            Still trying to blink some water from his eyes, he retorted “You pulled me in! There’s no difference!”

            She giggled. “At least I got you to jump. Oh hey oppa look!”

            He opened his eyes to see Seohyun grinning, hair in a messy wet bun, and holding a beat up apple in one hand. She had never looked so pretty to him in his life.

            “Here you go!” Yonghwa barely managed to catch it, but did so without giving away the fact that he was completely zone out.

            “Seohyun-a! Where’s the food?”

            “Wow you got hyung to jump?”

            Seohyun shook her head. “I’m coming! Come on oppa, let’s go to the others.” She started paddling away.

            Yonghwa blinked. *That’s it, I’m going to confess to her tonight.*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M23ObpDaN0

Stop the video at 16 seconds...

So yeah guys...last official chapter for now...

At least tell me how I did below in the comments? Whether you absolutely despised the story or loved it...I still wanna know :)

I'm going to stop here cause i think i'm going to have a huge AN in the next chapter...

- chocolate-notes :)