Confessions

Subway

“So Minhyuk-a, I understand you’re seeing a certain younger sister of mine.” Jessica calmly crunched a peppero treat between her teeth.

            “Um yeah noona. Is that okay?” Minhyuk froze while texting said sister and looked up at the older Jung sister.

            “As long as nothing happens, I’m okay. I’m just going to kill you and all of your little friends here if I see you with another girl.” The older sister winked and took a sip of wine.

            Jonghyun smirked at the frightened look on his friend’s face and opened a drink for himself as well. “So Minhyuk, what’s it like having an angel girlfriend?”

            “I like it! Even if her sister always threatens me, and she gets a little bipolar. I like it. Oh and she likes getting me food and I just really like her,” he continued texting with a grin on his face. “Sister-in-law can you give me some pepperos?”

            Jessica approached him with half a stick in and looked at him with wide eyes. “It’s the last one, so you’re going to have to share if you want it.”

            Minhyuk cautiously broke off a portion with his fingers that was barely an inch long in fear of getting too close to his girlfriend’s older sister.

            “Good boy!” Jessica chirped and ruffled his head. “Here’s a whole box for you!” She swallowed her piece and produced a red carton.

            “Am I a dog?” the boyfriend grumbled but took the prize with a smile.

            “She’s training you Minhyuk-a, watch out.” Yoona was already having a hazy look in her eyes as she balanced precariously on the sofa arm. “Come on Seohyun-a, you should drink some too.”

            The others were all in various states of drunkenness and lounging around the living room. Seohyun was playing some tunes on the piano as the others reminisced of last year. “No thanks unnie, I think I’ll pass. Alcohol and I don’t get along well.”

            Yonghwa snorted as he drank a glass of his own. He remembered the last time Seohyun had been a little under the influence and confessed her own little secrets. Maybe if he can get her to do that when she’s fully conscious, things might work out. No but she’s way too shy, no but she’s warmed up some. Should he confess? That’s what he decided earlier today right? But there’s so many people! No, those are lots of witnesses. And he knows those girls, they would support him, right? Hyoyeon was the one that introduced them…well kind of…

            He sighed and just drank some more. It was a good thing he had a decent tolerance level. Maybe the alcohol had an effect on his brain, but he made a split second decision. “Hey Minhyuk, I need your help with something.”

            “But hyung, I was just about to—“

            “I’ll give you a packet of your favorite gummy bears!” Yonghwa dragged his dongsaeng upstairs and took out his guitar.

            “Wahhh hyung! You guys got this room? Jungshin and I are stuck in the pantry.” Minhyuk frowned and collapsed on the bed with his snacks.

            “Jonghyun chose it, not me.” Yonghwa rummaged around his bags before finding a guitar pick. “So how did you confess to Krystal?”

            “It wasn’t bad. I just took her out to a café after her dance recital and asked her.” He smiled as he reminisced. “But why are you asking me? Is there someone you wan—“ He bolted upright and grinned. “Is it Seohyun? I knew you liked her! Okay so are we going to have a romantic serenading?”

            “Yep, but I really want her to say yes.” Yonghwa bit his lip and flipped through his playlist to come up with a song.

            “Oh just get them all a little tipsier than they already are and everyone downstairs is going to fall head over heels for you!” Minhyuk bounced up and clapped his hands. “I’ll go get everyone warmed up! Give me an hour and you can practice!” He raced downstairs to leave a confused Yonghwa upstairs.

            “But I need you to help me…” Yonghwa just shook his head and set a timer for one hour.


            Seohyun frowned as she tied her hair back into a messy bun. She already drank a lot and realized that no one was in his or her right side of mind at the moment.

            “Unnie, maybe we should go to bed. Aren’t we going to head back tomorrow? Someone has to drive.”

            That was when the lights went out. She saw a figure at the top of the stairs singing just like at the showcase and the guitar melody from the night at the ski resort. And that was all she could remember.


            Seohyun woke up the next morning with another headache and groaned as she saw what was in front of her. Her friends as well as Yonghwa and his friends were all sprawled around the living room. There was no way she was going to be able to get to work on time the next day.

            “Yes is this the taxi service? Could you send two vans to an address? No there’s no rush but before 2 in the afternoon would be nice. Thank you!” She hung up and sighed at her friends again. Might as well make them some breakfast.

            She started making some fruit juices and started the rice cooker, hoping all the chaos would at least wake some people up into helping her. Luckily Yonghwa woke up after two drinks were made.

            “Hey Hyun, do you need some help?” His hair was disheveled and he was blinking in the sunlight, but he didn’t look as bad as she had thought he might.

            “Hi oppa, do you want to drink something? There’s some aspirin in the cabinets for your headache.” Seohyun gave him a small smile as she sat him down at the table with a smoothie and a cutting board.

            “No I’m didn’t drink that much last night. But why did you give me this?” He inspected the wooden board and frowned.

            “Oh can you cut some kimchi? The taxis are coming in a couple of hours and I thought we should eat before heading out.”

            “Taxis?”

            Seohyun brought over the big bottle of kimchi. “Yep, I don’t think anyone is in the condition to drive after last night. I would be surprised if anyone can remember what happened.”

            Yonghwa had been about to rest his head on her shoulder as she leaned across him but froze. “What do you mean if anyone can remember?”

            Seohyun just looked at him indifferently. Completely different from the shy grin she had given him the night before. “Well most of us girls are pretty bad with remembering after alcohol. Is it not like that for you guys?”

            “Umm…sure…wait so you don’t remember anything?” Yonghwa cautiously took his knife and started cutting the kimchi into neat, rectangular pieces.

            “No, did something happen?” Seohyun looked at him with wide eyes as she filled up the blender with more fruit.

            “Um…no…nothing happened. Just some people got…out of hand…” he fibbed and gave her a small smile. “Don’t worry about it Hyun.”

            “Oh good, cause the last time I got drunk…well yeah…you were in my apartment and I couldn’t remember…” Seohyun laughed as she remembered before remembering that Yonghwa was sitting in front of her with a smirk on his face. Her face turned bright red and she hurriedly flipped the on switch to hear more groaning coming form the living room.

            “Seohyun, what are you doing at this ungodly hour?” Jessica and Hyoyeon stumbled in, and they waved at Yonghwa.

            “Oh unnies! Can you go pack and start putting stuff by the door? Here you can take these smoothies with you. The rice and kimchi should be ready in about 40 minutes?”

            They just nodded blearily and stumbled upstairs. The others slowly got up as well and started shuffling about.

            Yonghwa was thinking carefully about what to do now. Last night, he thought he finally got Seohyun to be his girlfriend…Now…

            “Oh good oppa! That should be enough for our breakfast…well now it’s lunch I guess.” Seohyun’s voice pulled him out of reverie and he looked to see the mountain of cut kimchi in front of him.

            “So what are you doing after this trip? Back to work?” Yonghwa found himself asking as they moved various side dishes onto the table.

            “Yep. I think I’m going to work all day tomorrow since I’ve skipped a couple days.” Seohyun frowned but calmly smiled. “It’s okay. I can do it!” She chirped and went to go wake a few people that were still sleeping.

            Yonghwa sighed. Okay, now was the time to make his move.


            Seohyun stretched and looked at the clock for the umpteenth time. She had an hour left at work and she was planning on going straight home, grabbing a goguma, and watching reruns of runningman and 1 night 2 days. Nothing was going to stop her, not the unnies, not the amount of paperwork she might have to take home, and not thinking about Jung Yonghwa.

            She sighed as she typed numbers into the computer. She thought something would have happened during their little trip. It would have been such a romantic place to get a confession, but nothing had happened. Well there was that time period in which her brain couldn’t remember anything or if it had safely been locked up somewhere…but Yonghwa would have said something if they were already together, right?

            She took another sip of her tea and looked at her phone. Was he really not interested? She shook her head. It’s okay Seo Joohyun, there are plenty of guys out there and you’re still young! And you won’t turn into a crazy cat lady…maybe a dog lady, but that’s different.

            Her fingers were just finding the right rhythm of typing when she heard a commotion.

            “Hey, you can’t be in here!” followed by a loud thud. What was going on?

            She heard a loud, familiar, obnoxious voice. “Yes very important students. Excuse me, Seoul U here, can you read? Yes yes, stop taking pictures of me, I know I’m fabulous. If this gets in the papers I will sue! Now please make way, thank you my dear. I would like some coffee, yes. Excuse me, important business here! MOVE I SAY! Oh good, now where can I find this girl? Is she pretty? I think she’s pretty. But I think she’s already taken. Does anyone want to go out with me? Yes form an orderly line at the exit. I will be out shortly after I help my friend out here.”

            Seohyun saved her document and frowned. She couldn’t quite place where she had heard the voice, but it eluded her memory.

            “Ah there she is!” It was a boy she had barely glimpsed before and a more familiar boy behind him.

            “Hi Seohyun, I’m sure you know who I am.” He gave her a perky smile and straightened his jacket.

            “I’m sorry, but I…”

            “Of course you’re nervous. I would be too if I was a girl and I was standing in front of the head of the best dorm in Seoul University, but I’m afraid someone has already called dibs on you my dear.” He bowed dramatically and pointed at Yonghwa who was standing behind him with a guitar in hand. He waved at her with a small smile.

            She waved back and looked at Kwanghee, not being able to tell if he was serious or not.

            Yonghwa just rolled his eyes and gave her a play-along-with-it look. “So Seohyun, annyeong.”

            Seohyun raised her eyebrows and nodded. “Annyeong.”

            “So I have a little song for you here and is it okay if I play it?” He asked with a small smile.

            “Of course.”

            He started singing that old confession song that countless boys sing to their girlfriends or girlfriends to be at karaoke. The thing was, Kwanghee was singing too. She was impressed again by Yonghwa’s singing skills, but it would’ve been nice if he had been the only one singing.

            Performance

            The song drew to a close and Yonghwa gave her a grin and she smiled back as she clapped. “That was great!”

            “And now is when you run into Yonghwa’s arms and say that yes you will be his girlfriend.” Kwanghee announced loudly. “I think I have some girls to meet at the front entrance Yonghwa. If I don’t see you in the dorms by midnight, I will turn you into the headmaster.”

            “Thanks hyung…” Yonghwa pasted a grin on his face and waved goodbye.

            Kwanghee winked and loudly made his way to the front to meet his future dates.

            The younger student just shook his head and offered his hand to Seohyun. “Do you want to take a walk?”


            Seohyun was glad that her supervisor let her off a few minutes early. She had an idea of what was going on and couldn’t keep herself from grinning.

            “What are you so excited about?” Yonghwa found himself grinning with her as she was skipping down the sidewalk.

            “Just that song was great and I liked the way you two sang it.” Seohyun was highly aware of the fact that Yonghwa’s hand was still holding onto hers as she drank bubble tea with the other.

            “Good, because I’m going to use that to confess to my girlfriend to be later. You’re going to meet her soon.” He whistled happily and continued to walk when he realized she had stopped. “What?”

            “Oh you’re going to confess to a girl soon?” Seohyun found herself asking quietly as she chewed on a bubble.

            “Yep. She’s really special to me and I think you’ll like her.” Yonghwa ushered her down the street again.

            “What’s she like?” Seohyun found her heart sinking as she threw her drink away.

            “Well she’s not exactly the most outgoing person I know, she’s more quiet. She seems to have a lot of compassion and really smart. But I also found out that she’s determined and fearless in some aspects.”

            Seohyun realized they were no longer holding hands and decided she really was going to be alone forever. “Wow she sounds perfect,” she bitterly muttered.

            “Yeah, I think she’s pretty good. She’s afraid of bugs and loves heights, a little strange but I think it’s cute. And she loves learning, that much is clear. Oh did you know she loves gogumas like a certain someone I know?”

            “Oh really…” Seohyun distracted herself from hearing any more by rummaging through her purse.

            “Yep. And you’re going to meet her in a second. Ready?”

            “Actually Yonghwa-ssi, I have something to do. I hope you two have fun.” Seohyun turned to leave while Yonghwa just blinked.

            “But Hyun, she’s right there. Please just at least say hi to her?”

            “Ok, but then I really have to go.” Seohyun knew she was just making things harder for herself, but maybe this was the best way to end things. That was when she realized where they were. “Why are we in the subway station?”

            “I thought it was fitting to meet her here. Okay, there she is.” Yonghwa stopped in front of a huge advertisement that spanned the wall. It was a Kim Yuna poster encouraging people to drink a coffee mix, which most of the nation was already obsessed with anyways.

            Seohyun blinked. “You’re asking Kim Yuna?”

            Yonghwa just laughed. “Nope, can’t you see her?”

            Seohyun looked around. There weren’t that many people walking in this area of the station and no one was loitering around waiting for a confession. “No, are you sure she’s here?”

            “Here I’ll show you clearly.” Yonghwa took her by the hand and walked her over a few steps. “Look up.”

            She looked to see nothing but those security mirrors on every corner of the station. “A mirror?” She heard a laugh.

            “And what do you see in this mirror?”

            “Me, you, random people?” Seohyun just stared at her reflection, staring between her ordinary outfit and Yonghwa’s suit. Of course they wouldn’t be together, but then that song at the showcase…she had thought there would’ve been something.

            Then she watched as reflection Yonghwa reached into his pocket and was offering reflection Seohyun a rose and a glass jar of hard candies. Seohyun spun around to see the real Yonghwa doing the same.

            “Happy White Day Seohyun. I know Valentine’s day didn’t really work out, but will you be my girlfriend?” He was grinning nervously and even that disappeared when he saw the tears in her eyes. “What’s wrong?”

            She flicked him on the head and glared at him.

            “Ow, what was that for?”

            “That was for making me think you were actually going to someone else.”

            “Oh come on Hyun, I didn’t think you were actually going to fall for it!” He looked down and sighed. “I guess you’re pretty mad at me aga—“ His words were cut off when he felt something brush his lips and looked up to see a grinning Seohyun.

            “That’s a yes.” She beamed as she took her presents.

            “So I’m officially your boyfriend Hyun?” Yonghwa was smiling madly and took her by the hand.

            “Yong oppa, I’m officially your girlfriend” Seohyun laced their fingers together and led the way out of the station.


            “See oppa? You should confess the same way!” A girl in a high school uniform exclaimed as she watched the two walk off happily.

            “But we’re already dating!” her boyfriend exclaimed indignantly. “Did you not like my confession?”

            “You should’ve dressed up.”

            “Okay fine…”

Happy White day / PI day lovely readers! 

My mom was watching WGM so I wrote this...But at least the confession's here! *Crossing fingers that I'll have enough time to write another chapter soon...

BTW not the ending... Keke :)

Thanks for reading!

- chocolate-notes :)