Showcase

Subway

 

My April Fool's joke for you guys is that it's not edited! hahahaha...i'll go over it as soon as i can, but i thought i would update for you guys :)

“Jung Yonghwa…Jung Yonghwa…JUNG YONGHWA!” the music teacher screamed at the top of her lungs to get the attention of the boy in the back row.

            Said boy jerked awake, head still in his hands. Aish, if I get caught for being asleep again, I’m going to get detention…think think…

Smirking to himself, he jerked his shoulders like he had a hiccup and continued to do so as he looked up to see his disheveled teacher. “Ne Saeng? What did you want again?”

She merely rolled her eyes and tossed him a water bottle. “If you keep getting hiccups in class, at least try to pay attention. Now then, as I was saying, since the showcase is this weekend, I won’t be assigning you any reading on the classical era.”

Ms. Cho looked around, perhaps expecting a reaction, but the students just glumly stared back, waiting for the catch. “There isn’t a catch everyone, you seriously don’t have a test to study for or any reading on appoggiaturas or turns.”

The kids perked up a little at that, only to hear the next sentence.

“I would like all of you to instead write a paper on the showcase and analyze your peers’ stage presences, how they differ from real life, and count how many mistakes you can catch. If all goes well, then they’ll be so composed to you won’t catch any.”

A boy named Jongin raised his hand. “What if we’re performing? We can’t get ready and write an analysis on everyone and ourselves.”

“Hm, well then I guess if you’re performing, then you will be exempted. Instead of grading a paper, I will just grade your performance.”

The poor dancer gulped as a few of his friends glared at him. Another girl, Krystal, raised her hand as well. “Is the paper for a completion grade?”

“…Yes.”

“So the performances will be completion grades as well, right? As long as we perform, then we get a check mark.”

Everyone turned to Ms. Cho, who closed her eyes tiredly before giving a nod. “All right then, how many of you are performing?”

Hands, too many to count, went up all around the room.

“Okay, a better question to ask would be who isn’t performing?”

A tiny freshman, who had twisted her ankle, and was one of the better dancers of the school, sighed and raised her hand. And was the only person to do so.

            “So Jiyeon will be the only one writing the report. Everyone else, I’ll be looking for you on stage. Class dismissed.”

            Yonghwa winced a little at Jiyeon’s bad luck and turned to leave for practice when a pair of designer heels stopped him from leaving.

            “Annyeong Yonghwa,” a tall girl smiled at him and batted her eyelashes. “Did you have fun in class today?”

            This would be Song Jisun. One of the girls that had never given up on him no matter how many times he’s rejected her or reported to the honor council about stalking. No it’s seriously stalking, she knew almost everything about him…even his phone password, the soju he liked, what time he did his laundry, and sent him a basket of fruit every morning.

            “What do you want Jisun? I have to go to practice.” Usually he would make an attempt to be nice to most of his admirers, but he had given up trying to be nice to this girl after about five minutes on the first day of school.

            “Well, I was just wondering if you still had that VIP pass?” She tossed her long, dyed, kimchi colored hair, and opened her eyes really big. He could see that she was wearing purple circle lenses…and it was just weird…

            “What VIP pass?” he asked coolly, trying to get around her without making it seem like he completely hated the girl.

            “You know, the one the performers get? The front row seats for their friends and family? Your parents live in Busan, so they probably won’t come up here in time, so why don’t you just give that nice little piece of paper to me?”

            He raised an eyebrow. “Why me? Go ask someone else for it.”

            She stomped her feet angrily, almost digging a hole in his sneaker with that five inch prong on her shoe, and he knew he had hit a nerve. “No! Myungsoo’s gave his to a stupid nerd from the chemistry department, Kikwang’s given his to one of the senior noonas, and Lee Joon’s give his to a barista at the main café!”

            Yonghwa thought. Probably cause you’re a pain in the and L’s dating that stupid nerd…that’s an oxymoron, and she’s prettier than you and a whole lot nicer. Kikwang’s noona is actually his neighbor from when they were little and are best friends, and Lee Joon…well he’s been trying to get that barista to talk to him for five months? “Why can’t you just stand in the crowd or sit on the floor like everyone else?”

            She stared at him like he was a complete nutcase before laughing…or was it laughing? It sounded more like a donkey in pain… “Haha, very funny oppa, now just give me the ticket and we can all live happily.”

            Sidestepping, and avoiding the menacing shoes, he just grinned at her. “Sorry Jisun, I’ve already given mine away. See you later! Or never again” he muttered under his breath as he left, ducking a split second before a Prada handbag crashed into the window in front of him.

 

 


 

            Seohyun went home from work an hour early in order to get dressed and go to the showcase. She was kind of excited. It’s been a while since she’s been around a lot of people her age and an even longer time since she last went to a concert of sorts.

            Expecting to find something suitable to wear, she opened the closet door to find three unnies in the cramped space arguing over dresses.

            “Annyeong Seohyun-a, now I need you to wear this and then we’ll help you with your makeup.” Jessica held out a white dress and matching heels to the bewildered maknae.

            “Is she getting married? I think she should wear something a little simpler.” Taeyeon held out an extremely low-cut blouse and a skirt that was maybe about 2 cm long.

            “Ani, this dress should fit her.” Hyoyeon held out a light pink dress that would fall just above her knees and had flowers of the same color embroidered on the bottom. No one would notice unless they really looked.

            The other two quickly agreed and they shoved Seohyun into her own bathroom with the clothes.

            Sighing, Seohyun just pulled on the dress as she was told. These unnies and clothes…they’ve been doing the same for every dance since middle school. Showing up unannounced, fighting over clothes, and then sending her off. They’d never been wrong though, so…


            30 minutes later, she found herself standing in front of the gates of the university. All dressed up and nowhere to go… She couldn’t go to the dorms…and she couldn’t go running around the campus since her shoes were already killing her. No, instead she went and asked a couple guys who looked pretty nice for help.

            “Excuse me, but can you tell me where I need to go?” Seohyun asked shyly and held out the ticket Yonghwa had given her.

            The shorter of the boys (there must’ve been at least a 10 cm difference between them) grinned and just pointed at a fancy auditorium building without looking at the piece of paper. “The beauty pageant is over there. I really like your dress color and I hope you win! Isn’t she pretty Changmin hyung?”

            The taller guy nodded and the two turned to go on their way.

            “Wait! I’m not going to a pageant, I need directions to the showcase,” Seohyun called out after they were two steps away…after she got over her initial shock of being mistaken as a model.

            “Jokwon, did you not even look at her ticket? There’s a lot of things going on tonight.”

            “But she’s all dressed up, there’s nowhere else she would go,” the shorter grumbled like a familiar diva Seohyun had met before. “Anyways, the concert’s in the gymnasium over there.” He looked closer at her ticket and his eyes widened. “You’re a VIP? Who’s guest are you?”

            “Yah, stop it. You don’t need to know.” Changmin turned to her and grinned. “We’re heading that way too if you want to follow us.”

            Seohyun looked at their Seoul t-shirts and jeans and grinned back. “No thanks, I have to go get something. But thank you for telling me!”

            “No problem, guess it’ll be easy to pick you out from the crowd.” Jokwon joked and they walked towards a noisy building with other students streaming in.

            Seohyun nodded. Okay plan B.


            Ten minutes later, she walked in through the front doors of the gym and made her way over to the entrance. Most of the makeup wiped off, dress changed into a t-shirt and jeans that she had hidden in her bag just in case, Yonghwa’s Seoul sweatshirt in her arms to return to him, and a (apparently VIP) ticket in hand.

            A boy looked at her with a grin, which disappeared when he looked at the ticket in her hand, and directed her inside.

            There were probably already a few hundred people inside, all milling around, waiting for the show to start. A stage was set up by the far wall with about 40 chairs for a few lucky people that didn’t have to stand in the giant mosh pit in the back. A red velvet rope was even set up around the coveted seats.

            “Enjoy the show.” He muttered and went back to his post at the door.

            Seohyun sat down in her seat and looked to her left to see a really pretty girl with red hair glaring at her from behind the rope…and she was motioning for her to come over. Did she find out that she wasn’t a student?

            She walked over to the tall girl and bowed her head a little bit. “Annyeong.” Up close, Seohyun could see that she had on a lot of makeup…like seriously a lot and her height was mostly due to the platform heels she had on, and her red hair…well…those things shouldn’t be said out loud.

            “So you’re the one who got Yonghwa oppa’s ticket.” She gave a forced smile that was scarier than it should be to her sharp canines.

            “Sorry?” Seohyun was confused. How did this girl know? And what’s so special about this ticket? The fact that you could sit on a chair instead of on the floor? There wasn’t that much of a difference.

            “Oh sorry,” she mimicked Hyun. “I forgot to introduce myself. I’m Jisun. And well, you’re the one sitting in C4, right? I checked with all the performers and asked what seats they gave out. After they gave out 64 seat numbers, the 65th one, C4, would be Yonghwa oppa’s. Lucky you. You got the center seat and Yonghwa oppa.” Jisun smirked a little and her heel started to inch in the marked off area.

            “Where are you going Jisun-a?” A good-looking, tall, good-looking, extremely handsome guy pulled the girl back and directed another girl towards Seohyun.

            “Myungsoo oppa! That hurt!” Jisun whined and pouted…or attempted to.

            Myungsoo rolled his eyes and muttered a ‘it was supposed to’ under his breath. “I told you to call me L. Not Myungsoo, not oppa, just L,” he growled at her before turning to Seohyun with a smile. “Annyeong! You must be the amazing Hyun! Yonghwa told me to make sure you were here.”

            Seohyun bowed a little to him and mouthed a thank you.

            He nodded and looked over at the girl he had brought over. “Enjoy the show Heejoo!”

            The shy looking girl nodded and whispered “Ne gamsahamida L.”

            L/Myungsoo took off her glasses and smoothed her hair. “L?”

            “Ne L oppa.”

            “What?” he asked with a teasing tone. Jisun huffed behind his back and was aiming a kick at poor Heejoo.

            “Ne Myungsoo oppa.”

            He patted her head with a grin. “Good girl. Have fun!” His face morphed into something that looked like…disgust? As he dragged Jisun off, deposited her into a heap in the middle of the mosh pit, and hurried backstage.

            Seohyun looked at the shy girl and smiled. “I’m Seohyun. What’s your seat number?”

            It turns out, Heejoo had the seat next to Seohyun and the two quickly became friends. Heejoo was a chemistry major at Seoul, considers herself friends with L/Myungsoo (Seohyun thought otherwise), and is extremely nice.

            Their conversation got cut short however when the lights dimmed and a voice came on saying that the showcase would begin soon.


            The students at Seoul University aren’t all called geniuses for nothing. Yeah there’s the whole book smart thing, but the athletes, musicians, dancers, and actors on stage were also geniuses. No wonder this was the most prestigious university in Korea.

            That L guy was up there with six other guys and called themselves Infinite, or something like that, and were pretty good dancers and singers…no scratch that…amazing singers and dancers that were like 99.99999999% in sync with each other it was kind of scary.

            Apparently they were pretty famous because everyone was chanting ‘scorpion dance’ or something like that for half of the song until they did the amazing dance move…after that…Seohyun could only hear a dull ringing in her ears.

            Moving on then…

            A few pianists, violinists, other dance groups, more singers, and a few acts (one very funny one included a certain Kwanghee she had met before) came on stage afterwards.

            After another funny body gag, Kwanghee bowed and exited the stage. Then things became eerily quiet. Seohyun looked down at her program to see that it was one of the last acts of the night. Some band called CNBLUE or something like that…

            Then the lights turned off. Seohyun looked around, only to be completely lost in the darkness. She felt Heejoo grab her arm and felt her bounce a little in the seat next to her.

            “What’s going on?”

            The shy girl’s voice was excited and bubbly now, sounding almost as excited as she had been when L had tossed her a flower during his stage. “You’ll see. They’re the most famous on campus.”

            The humming of hundreds of whispers was building up as the lights , the curtains opened, and fangirls started screaming.

            CNBLUE had taken the stage.


            Yonghwa grinned as he strummed the first chord and tried not to flinch at the sound coming from the audience. Sure it was awesome, also terrifying. He blinked a little as he got used to the spotlights and looked for Hyun. She was there, right in the center of the first row next to L’s girlfriend. Seohyun looked surprised and happy…Ok that’s a pretty good combination.

            He fixed his ear piece and adjusted the mic to his height (move it down a few inches or so) and waved at the crowd.

            “Annyeong everyone! Having a good show so far?”

            He decided not to ask them anymore questions…it was going to break his eardrums if it went even 1 decibel higher.

            “This song is dedicated to a girl I know. Hope you guys enjoy it!” He looked back at Minhyuk who grinned and gave the beat.

(You've fallen for me-from heartstrings)

the beginning started
coincidentally for us.
at first, I’d never knew this would
be love even in my dream,
but it is.

your heart keeps
going thump thump
you keep smiling
at me and starting to
love me without even realizing it.

you have fallen for me, fallen for me,
melted in my sweet love.
you have fallen for me, fallen for me,
mesmerized by my charming gaze.
see my eyes you fell for me
see my eyes you have fallen for me

 

            Yonghwa grinned to see a blushing Seohyun clap along with the crowd. Did she know yet? He did a quick survey of the crowd to make sure that his time spent composing the song wasn’t a complete waste. Overall, they seemed to like it. Then he found Jisun jumping madly and groaned internally. That girl…

 

love always comes
unexpectedly like destiny.
it soaked me like shower
I’d never know it was love.

even eyes closed,
i occur to you from time to time.
whenever you see your face blushing,
you fall in love with me without even realizing it.

you have fallen for me,
fallen for me, melted in my sweet love.
you have fallen for me, fallen for me,
mesmerized by charming gaze.
see my eyes you fell for me
see my eyes you have fallen for me

 

            Seohyun smiled at how free and happy Yonghwa looked on stage. But she couldn’t shake off the feeling that this song was more than just a song. Was it his own composition? Or worse, was it for her? Shaking her head, she emptied her mind and forced herself to smile and enjoy the song.


            Yonghwa let Jonghyun be in charge of the guitar solo and grabbed the mic and sang the last part while staring at Seohyun. She was so pretty too, her hair swept up in a messy ponytail, cheeks flushed from the non-air-conditioned gym, and sparkling eyes that looked even brighter in the spotlight.

 

i fall in love with you too now
i will confess i am in love with you.
i fall in love with you too
my heart says i am in love with you.

see your eyes just look at me
see your eyes i love you
(see my eyes) forever and ever even after time passes
(see my eyes) without knowing it you have fallen for me

 

            He saw her nodding a little and a small grin on her face before the cheers reached him, reminding him that there were other people in the room.

Yonghwa waved as the curtains closed on him and the group, muffling the cheering of the audience. He turned around to see s raise his eyebrows at him.

            “What? That was one of the best performances we’ve ever had. Great job guys!”

            Minhyuk was the first to talk. “Hyuuuuung! Shouldn’t you be, I don’t know, fearing for your life right now?”

            “Why? Are they going to kill us for having a great song?” He started helping the stage crew clean up and hurry backstage.

            “Yeah, um we were behind you the entire time and we could still tell you were literally confessing to a certain girl in seat C4,” muttered Jonghyun as he dodged an amp.

            “So?”

            Jungshin clambered into the closet door the other two were already in and gave a panicked smile. “So, good luck!”

            Frowning, Yonghwa went to open the door, but it was locked. “What are you guys talking abo—“ He never got to finish his sentence because a giant handbag had crashed into his skull, causing him to fall down.


            Seohyun clapped politely as the last act finished and got up to leave. “That was really impressive.”

            “Yep, it always is. Come on, let’s go say good job to them!” Heejoo was a lot more hyper now and dragged her off through a side door.

            There were students and faculty running everywhere, trying to clean up the confetti cannon the last act had used. But there were quite a few people running the other way, where a crowd had gathered.

            “Oppa!” Heejoo chirped as a frazzled L ran by. He screeched to a stop and grabbed her close to him. “Oppa?”

            “Annyeong! Did you enjoy the show? Ok tell me later, because we have a situation and I don’t want you getting hurt.” L mumbled insanely fast. He looked up to see Seohyun and frowned. “Maybe you should stay back too.”

            “Where’s Yonghwa?”

            L glanced back at the mob. “See he’s part of the problem.”

            Seohyun ran over and wiggled through some people to see Yonghwa on the ground, at the mercy of a Prada bag and Jisun.

            The girl had gone kind of insane…Her makeup was coming off, not in drips, but in floods of mascara and BB cream. Her red hair was messed up and she was screaming at the struggling guitarist on the floor.

            “YOU BASTARD! HOW COULD YOU DO THAT? FIRST IT’S NO VIP TICKET. SECOND OF ALL, YOU GO AND CONFESS TO HER ON STAGE? SHE’S NOT EVEN A STUDENT! WHAT’S SHE DOING HERE? IS SHE A GIRLFRIEND? HURRY UP AND ANSWER ME JUNG YONGHWA!” Every word was enunciated with a swing of her bag.

            She caught sight of a shocked Seohyun and ran towards her. “YOU! YOU’VE RUINED EVERYTHING!”

            A few of L’s friends ran forward to restrain her, but they weren’t exactly enough to hold her back from trying to do…well whatever it was she was trying to do Seohyun. Then security came in and carried her away, still screaming some things at Seohyun.

            After that, the crowd started filtering away until it was just Seohyun and Yonghwa. He winced a little as he got up, but smiled when he saw her. “Did you enjoy the show?”

            She nodded and grinned. “Which one? The music or the one where you got beat up?”

            “Which one did you like better?” He asked, grabbing a nearby key and unlocking a door to reveal three boys, still with their instruments.

            “The music one,” she said, confused as to why they looked terrified.

            “Is she gone?” Minhyuk asked.

            “Yeah she’s gone, thanks for the help guys. Extra hour of practice every day for a month for Jungshin. No desserts for Minhyuk for a month. And for Jonghyun, no face products for a week.”

            “What?”

            “Hyung!”

            “Why is Jonghyun’s so much shorter?”

            “Hey, I’m older than you! Of course mine is shorter!”

            Yonghwa sighed. “I’m adding an extra month if you guys aren’t in bed by the time I get to the dorm.”

            With that, the three boys disappeared in the next second.


            Seohyun laughed a little. “Isn’t that a little bit too harsh?”

            “Maybe…” Yonghwa looked pensive but shook his head “No, it serves them right for leaving me alone with that demon.”

            Reaching into her bag to get the first aid kit she always carried around, Seohyun frowned. “About that, let me clean up some of your face. It’s going to get infected.” There were three cuts on his face, some scratches on his arms, and a bruise forming on his cheek.

            He protested for about five minutes before sitting down on the floor and letting himself be mothered over.

            After ten minutes of arguing over whether or not to put on antiseptic (they did) and whether they would use pink Band-Aids or blue ones (they used pink), Yonghwa was all patched up and looked a little bit better than before.

            “There you go! All better now!” Seohyun exclaimed and packed up her little kit again.

            “Thank you Dr. Hyun. Now will you let me take you home? It’s pretty late.” Yonghwa grabbed his case and opened the door for her.

            “No, it’s okay, one of the unnies is picking me up at the front gate.”

            “Well then, at least let me take you there. The guys around here might get drunk since we have a break after next week and most of them only have career lectures this week.”

            “Arasso. Oh, here’s your sweatshirt by the way.” Seohyun held out the clothing she had washed and ironed before bringing.

            “It’s kind of cold though, you should wear it until you at least get to your car.”

            “Says the guy who’s wearing a tanktop.” Seohyun muttered and immediately wished she hadn’t because the next thing she knew, he started flexing his biceps…

            “So you enjoyed the show?”

            “Yeah it was really fun!”

            They made their way out of the gym and onto the main path.

            “Who was your favorite?”

            Seohyun grinned. “That infinite group with L was really good! He’s really handsome too.”

            “Handsome? You met L?”

            “And Kwanghee was really funny. And there was that guy, I think his name was Nichkhun? His group was really good at dancing and singing too.”

            Yonghwa grumbled something about a Thai prince under his breath.

            “Of course your group was the best, oppa.”

            He immediately cheered up after that.


            There were a few moments of awkward silence before Seohyun asked the question that had been on her mind since the show. “So, did you write that song yourself?”

            “Yep. I’ve had the melody in mind for a while, but I just finished the lyrics like last week.”

            “Oh really? A lot of girls were screaming in the audience claiming to be your first love.” Seohyun’s mind was working a mile a minute, trying to figure out how to get what she wanted without making it seem obvious. Unfortunately, Yonghwa was on to her.

            “My first love? Huh. Well they can’t all be my first love.” He grinned to himself and looked up at the sky.

            “So is it?”

            “Is it what?”

            “A song for your first love?”

            Yonghwa thought it over and nodded. “Yeah it was.”

            “I see.” Seohyun nodded and turned her attention to the path in front of them.

            “Why?”

            “I was just wondering sine it’s a really great song.”

            Yonghwa glanced at her out of the corner of his eye and smirked. “Is that all you wanted to know?”

            “Ne. I just thought it was really cool that you could write a song about your first love and not have it be all sad and stuff like most songs.” Seohyun trailed off and just nodded.

            “Since when.”

            “Since I heard the first girl scream that she was your first love and then was attacked by a few other girls.”

            “Mmm.” Yonghwa caught sight of her fingers playing with the strings of the hoodie. “You can just ask me you know.”

            Seohyun’s heart was almost at . “Ask what?”

            “Stop beating around the bush and just ask, it’s all right.”

            “Ask what?”

            “Just ask and put it out there.”

            “Ask what?”

            Yonghwa looked up at the stars as he said. “Just ask if you’re the one I wrote the song for. Ask if you’re my first love and if the reason why Jisun was beating me is true or not.”

            Seohyun froze and stopped walking. “What?”

            “Just ask and I’ll answer you.”

            She laughed and continued walking. “That’s not it.”

            “That’s what you were wondering about.”

            “No it wasn’t.”

            Yonghwa rolled his eyes and sang “Just ask Hyun~”

            She picked up her pace and moved her head so that he couldn’t see her face. “I don’t want to.”

            He laughed and caught up to her. “So you were wondering about that.”

            “…Ne.” Seohyun felt her face flush and walked a little faster since she could see Hyoyeon’s car and it was only a few meters away.

            “Jung Seobang!” Hyoyeon screamed from her open window, causing a few students to stare.

            “Annyeong Hyoyeon! How’s Lee Joon?”

            “Still a babo, but I get by.” She grinned and closed the window before starting the engine.

            “Thanks for the ticket Yonghwa, you didn’t have to give me a VIP one though.”

            “I wanted you to have it. Here you have something in your hair.” He stepped closer to her and dusted off an imaginary speck of dust.

            She looked everywhere but at him and jumped a little when she felt a warm breath on her ear.

            “Just to let you know, I did write that song for you,” he whispered before pecking her cheek.


            Seohyun found herself sitting in the car with her seatbelt fastened and no idea how she got there while Hyoyeon was waving goodbye at Yonghwa and started driving off.

            “Did you have a good time?”

            “…Ne.” Seohyun murmured. She picked up the sweatshirt she still had and hid her face behind it before allowing a big smile to stretch across her face.

*** Note (because of a comment) sorry guys they aren't dating...yet ;)

I actually updated before a month passed! Huzzah! Ok this chapter is kind of long, but hope you enjoyed it! I had like a 2 day break+weekend so I watched a lot of we got married and got my yongseo feels back so here you go! The whole last little part came from when they were by the pond at the goguma field and she was (trying to) ask about whether or not love light was for her, so put my own little spin on it :) Here's the link to that episode, starts at about 20:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1OUOHmePLs

Originally it was supposed to be Shinee again, but I thought it would be too much of a coincidence, so here's Infinite's L (aka perfection) and Changmin,  Jokwon, Kai, and Krystal's caemos...this school is filled with idols yes...

OH! and if anyone wants the technique Yonghwa used at the beginning of the chapter for hiccups/being asleep (i've used it before) here is TOP doing it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciHZ8udkgNw

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!

Thanks for reading!

- chocolate-notes :)