Chapter 18

Hating Kwon Jiyong - By Ghikai

Dara:


The greatest birthday of my life. I got pissed drunk the night before, woke up in Jiyong's bed and eating breakfast with him alone. I mean, sure...that's just fcukin' great. If only I knew what I did last night!!! The moment I went outside the bathroom, he was already mixing the pancake batter, acting like nothing happened. I wanted to believe that nothing really happened, but someone at the back of my mind was saying that something did happen. So what's up.

"Oh, there you are," Jiyong looked up at me, smiling a little -- FOR THE FIRST TIME since he saw me. "You threw up so much, I thought you'd like to eat something...that would somehow get your energy back. 

"Cheesy strawberry pancakes?" I asked, a little shy. I wanted to ask him, but what if the answer would be too shocking for me to bear? 

"Yes. I knew you said you wanted coffee, but maybe it's not a good idea to drink that alone." Jiyong replied, while placing the pan on the stove and heating it up. "and I remembered that you liked eating this;I was actually thinking of cooking you some porridge instead but then again I guess it's better to stick on cooking something that I knew you would like."

Silence. He was smiling at me strangely, but instead of feeling wierded out, I found my heart fluttering inside my chest. It's good feeling, something that I wouldn't mind in the days, weeks, months to come. It's my birthday anyway, so I would indulge myself with 100% Jiyong goodness. I smiled back at him, and before we knew it, we were laughing together.

Until Seunghyun, the villain of the universe, arrived.

"Lovebirds in the kitchen at 10 am, check!" The two of us stopped laughing the moment we heard his voice. Seunghyun on the other hand laughed as he walked over to us.

"Wow, Kwon Jiyong," He gushed as he was observing the breakfast Jiyong set up for me. "This is really OSM. Why aren't you like this when she's not around! We should bring girls here more often." he looked at me and wriggled his eyebrows suggestively. "YOU should be here more often!"

I blushed. Seunghyun was still pissed. He's determined to ruin my day. 

"Shut up, hyung." Jiyong stated simply, as he placed a plate of strawberry pancakes in front of me. I was about to eat it when Seunghyun took the fork away from me and started eating. I just sat and looked at him, dumbfounded. He's really...

"Hey!" Jiyong cried, a little pissed. "That's not yours! I didn't make her eat your 'favorite breakfast in the world', so will you chill?"

"I know. And being Dara's confidante, she won't eat it even if you shove it in ." Seunghyun placed his arms around me and grinned. "Right, birthday girl?"

Jeezus Seunghyun will get it from me next time. I can't wait to make fan accounts in forums against him! 

Kidding. As much as I'm hating him right now, I won't do that. He's been nice to me since day 1 anyway. And his fan girls are more vicious and strong than Jiyong's. So.

"Right, right..." Jiyong said impatiently. "Just get your hands off her and start eating."

I tried my best not to smile. He's a little jealous, and it's actually making me feel...let's say, special. If it wasn't for the circumstances, we would have made a very cute couple. OH MY GOD, I DID NOT SAY THAT.

Speaking of circumstances, I heard my phone ringing, but It's not with me as of the moment. I realized immediately that it was with Seunghyun, because he almost jumped in surprise as he fished the phone from his pocket.

"Goodness, that's like the ugliest ring tone ever," Seunghyun exclaimed as he handed me back my phone. "Change it will you? Alright, don't reply and start answering it."

I rolled my eyes and proceeded with answering the phone. "Hello?"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY PARK DARA!!! WOOOOO!!! You're old and I'm younger! Still poor while I'm gettin' richer!" Ji Eun laughed hysterically. "So how's my baby birthday girl?"

Oh no. My eyes shifted nervously as I heard Ji Eun's voice on the other line. Seunghyun ang Jiyong better not talk. Ji Eun will go batsh1t crazy when she learns who I'm with right now.

"Will you calm down. Anyway, thank you and please stop using that middleschool rhyme about birthdays. It's annoying." I quietly slid out of the chair to talk with Ji Eun at some place more private, but before I could, Seunghyun's voice cut across the room. 

"Jiyong, these pancakes are effin bland. Pass the syrup will you!"

Ji Eun stopped laughing on the other line. "Jiyong? Wait a minute, where are you?"

God, and I guess Seunghyun's voice was loud enough for Ji Eun to hear.

"Uh," I said, my voice stalling a little. She can't know! "That's the radio you're hearing."

Ji Eun hesitated. "So ok, did the guy actually asked 'jiyong' to get some syrup? On the radio?"

Sh1t. Best birthday ever, didn't I tell you?

"Yeah. So it's not really a big deal..I can--"

"I am the Kwon Leadah, remember that! So, you get. the. syrup. yourself!" Whoopsie-daisies, What the hell Jiyong was thinking? Now Ji Eun must have heard that!!!

I tried to walk away, but Seunghyun stopped me. "Aish, Park Dara, please tell your 'boyfriend', Kwon Jiyong, to stop acting like a baby."

Sh1t. I was too shocked by what he just said. And with Ji Eun on the other line!!! I whirled around at Seunghyun and motioned for him to shut up, like..right now. Sensing ho w desperate I was, Seunghyun did what I requested with no questions asked.

I took a few steps away from them to continue my conversation with Ji Eun. I hope she did not realize where I am right now.

"Hello?" I called onto her, a little reluctantly. Should she shout at me, it's ok. 

But she didn't. The line was dead the moment I called her name again.

 

Jiyong:


I guess she remembered what she did and said last night. I hope. I mean sure it's ok if she didn't, but I knew in my heart that I'd be like, the happiest guy on earth if she did remember. She confessed not only once, but thrice! My back and head ached when I woke up from sleeping in such awkward position all night, but all was forgotten the moment I saw her face sleeping in my bed. The smile on her lips didn't leave her pretty face. She's still sporting the happy but dreamy look that she had the moment I kissed her goodnight.


And looking at her now, sitting in the kitchen counter, eating breakfast and joking casually with Seunghyun hyung [even if I feel a little bit jealous of their closeness], I can say that this would be one of the happiest mornings of my life. How could I ever consider moving on?

"So who was that person on the phone a while ago?" hyung asked as Dara put her phone down. "Don't tell me it's one of your guys!"

Dara blushed and glanced my way, before slapping hyung's left arm loudly. "That's just...my sister. I didn't go home last night so she asked me when I'll be going home."

"Oh, that's why. And yeah, stupid us. Of course you couldn't tell them you slept over at a guy's house!" Hyung slapped his forehead. "I forgot all about that."

"A guy's dorm, mind you," Dara added darkly. "My mom would raise hell if she found out."

"Hey, it's not like something happened, right?" Seunghyun said simply as he looked at me. My face was unreadable when I heard what he said. Was he kidding me? Something happened last night.

"Noooo," Seunghyun exclaimed as he understood what my reaction meant. "Don't freakin' tell me something really happened, because that's just..." 

Dara kicked him on his shins hard, making hyung howl in pain. "Nothing happened. And if something did happen, it's none of your business."

"Ok, ok. I was just saying maybe you two had an important conversation last night anyway." Hyung said, still in pain. "Jeez, I was just kidding anyway." He stood up from his seat and walked away, limping slightly as he did so.

"You kicked him hard," I said quietly minutes after hyung left. We have the kitchen to ourselves again. I feel for hyung, but I couldn't be happier that he was gone. >:D

Dara bit her lip, as if feeling a little guilty over what she just did. "You think so? But then again it was his fault so..." She giggled and rolled her eyes as she continued, "I know how much he loves me so he'll let that pass."

"He loves you?" And yet there was bitterness laced in my voice as I asked her. I can't help it.

Dara shrugged. "Love as in, like, a friend. Like a guy friend."

"Oh." I pouted a little. "Do you love him as well?"

"What?" Dara blushed a little, surprised. "Well, Uh...yes. But I mean it's just like brother-sister way, like family, like..like siblings? Like I love him in a sisterly way? That's just it." She waved her hand and laughed nervously. "Don't put too much thought into that. I love him like the way you love and adore Han Mina."

Was that sarcasm in her voice?

"I didn't say I love Han Mina," I stated simply.

Dara looked at me, and I know it's a little too much, but was that joy dancing in her eyes? "Really? Um, I mean..why not?"

Do I really have to tell her the answer? I took the empty plate and placed it on the sink. Hyung can wash it later, since he practically devoured the pancakes that he deemed 'bland'.

"Hmm. But then again maybe I love her," I said, eyeing her reaction carefully. "But just like what you said, it's in a brother-sister way."

"Oh." It was her turn to pout. "I see. Anyway," She took a deep and smiled at me. "Thank you for making me stay here, but I guess I have to go now."

Go now? Why so soon? I wanted her to stay longer but she's right, she has to go because her mom might be sick worried about her. "Ok. Should I send you home?"

"Oh! No. This is more than enough..." She wasn't able to continue what she's saying because Taeyang suddenly entered the kitchen. Shirtless.

And you know how girls fall for Taeyang when he's looking like that. I wanted to cover Dara's eyes but what reason would I say if I did just that?

"Jiyong, can I borrow...HOLY!" Taeyang's eyes got wide as he saw Dara gaping at him, particularly at his well-defined abs. He jumped backwards and bowed at her, embarrassed, before running to his room again.

"Chocoloate abs at its finest," Dara murmured in a daze. I patted my rather 'blah' abs unconsciously. Should I start working out real hard? She literally forgot my presence the moment Taeyang walked in!

I cleared my throat rather loudly. "Um...Dara?"

That snapped her out from cloud nine. "What?"

"You were saying you wanted to go home....?"

She stood up all of a sudden. "Yes. I'm so sorry! I just..." She tucked a few strands of her hair on her ear as she continued, "I'll get my things first."

I joined her immediately on the other side of the kitchen. "It's in my room, I'll go with you."

She smiled at me gratefully. "Thank you."

-------------------------------------------------------

"So you didn't greet her a happy birthday." It was more of a statement rather than a question. Hyung was being on my case again.

"How could I? You were there for most of the freakin time!"

"Psh, lame. Give me a break. You're just gonna greet her, what..are you planning to propose to her earlier?" Hyung and Taeyang laughed and gave each other high-fives. 

"Who knows?" I replied angrily. "Even if I would I couldn't, not when Dong Youngbae walks around the kitchen half-, flaunting his 'chocolate abs' may I quote, for everyone to see!"

Taeyang stopped laughing in an instant. "Hey! I wasn't 'half-'. I was just shirtless."

Seunghyun waved his hands dismissively. "Shirtless my foot. It's still half-."

"Still drunk, hyung?" Taeyang countered. "Shut up."

"You both shut up." I sighed. We never ever ever ever have a decent conversation. Ever. "Just help me find a gift or something."

"Give her flowers," Hyung suggested, "every girl wants flowers, no matter what they say."

"Too generic," Taeyang disagreed. He then looked at me and said, "never trust hyung when it comes to things like these."

Hyung rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Fine. Too generic? Put her initials on every single petal, then."

"Aish," Taeyang scratched his head, trying to suggest a better idea. His eyes lit up when Seungri walked by. "Maknae! Can you suggest a gift that would be pretty dope to give to a girl you like?"

Seungri's face became thoughtful for a second. "Flowers are a very very very good idea!" Hyung put his fists in the air as Taeyang slumped on his seat in disappointment. "Aish, you're too young, go on your way then."

When Seungri left, hyung was already smiling smugly at Taeyang. "So Dong Youngbae, what do you say? Am I right, or am I right?"

"You're wrong," Taeyang responded irritably. "But who knows, maybe she'll like it."

"Flowers maybe a very good idea, but..." I was looking for the right word to say, but alas...hyung interrupted me.

"Still in doubt? Go to her, tell her you give her your heart or something dumb like that."

Taeyang smiled at the thought. "Hey....that may be good. We can set up lights and everything!"

Hyung laughed sarcastically. "See? If we have a dude here like Youngbae, who is mighty obsessed with dramas, suggestions like that are within reach. Yes, give her your freakin heart. I mean, get it out from your ribcage."

"Hyung! That's just mean. What's wrong with dramas anyways? We make mvs, that's kinda like drama in a way, right? Remember how you acted like some pained messenger in Haru haru mv?"

"Oh please, Dong Youngbae. For the life of me, I can't understand why you're such a er for ideas like that. Have shame on your abs, for the love of everything manly!"

"But hyung, you cried a river when we watched My Sassy Girl a few months ago." 

"Excuse me, I DID NOT cry a river. Something just got stuck in my eye."

Taeyang and I cracked up after hyung denied our claims. Sometimes hyung is just weird like that, but we knew deep in side, he's like, the softest guy in the group. Tss.

I clapped my hands, signalling the end of another useless discussion. "Alright, thanks guys. Like your suggestions made things easier."

"But Jiyong," Taeyang asked. "What will you give her?"

"Oh, I don't know," I replied. I haven't thought about it exactly, but who knows?


I'd probably try her to give her my heart.

 

Preview: Chapter 19

Dara:


"Unnie!"

I turned around to CL standing in front of me. The surprise party that we just had for me started wrapping up, and I guess this was one of my best birthdays ever. I guess everyone would agree that this party would definitely be a night to remember.

"What is it, CL-roo?"

CL frowned. "Well, Ssandara unnie! I found this package lying on the table. It's one of your gifts, I guess." She handed me the brown package while I took it reluctantly. Something doesn't feel right.

The moment I was left alone again, I hastily tore the package open. I almost fainted when I saw what was inside.

It was my black notebook. Goddamit, it really was my black notebook. I frantically scanned the pages, until a small piece of white paper fell from it.

Trembling, I picked it up and tried to read it, only to get the shock of my life yet again. In small, neat handwriting, a message was scrawled:

Happy Birthday.