Locked-up memories

Twins And The Chamber
 

________________________________

The cruelest things in life happen when we least expect them to.

The biggest secrets are revealed at the most unsuitable  time.

The deepest wounds are the most easy to reopen.

One mistake can cause a disaster
____________________

*^*

I closed the diary and held it tightly between my trembling fingers. I couldn’t believe what I just read. It sounded like a tragic novel that ended abruptly just when all hell broke loose. I scanned my surroundings to make sure I was still in reality. That’s when I realized Luhan was still present there, right next to me. He looked bewildered; pale face and shaking lips.
“Can’t believe all of this happened in this house.”
“And in that very room, out of all places.”
“Gran.. she..”
“Yeah..” I sighed, “This is just too much…”
We woke up super early just cause we were too curious to sleep that night. And there we were, having a little glimpse of the mysterious nature of this house.

   It was breakfast time. We acted so awkward at table, but grandma didn’t question it. Instead, all she kept asking about was how I got those wounds and scars. I’ve forgot to prepare a good lie so I kept mumbling stuff that even I didn’t understand. Seeing how persistent she was getting, my I-suddenly-became-the-most-honest-person-on-earth twin did the inevitable. He spilled the truth.
“We… we entered that locked room in he farm.” He hesitated a bit at the sight of Grandma’s shocked eyes, but then continued, “Aeri apparently lived some horror-scene there and ow-“ he scowled in pain as I slapped his head, “Dammit.. anyway, what happened there was really bad and Aeri luckily survived it. We’re really sorry for it, but, living here, we couldn’t help but wonder what on earth was going on. We could- Aeri could, get a notebook from that room and it turned out to be, umm.. well, apparently, it was your late sister’s diary-“
   Grandma let out a big cry as he pronounced the last two words. Her eyes were already tearing up  and she looked as though one of us just died in front of her. There was a moment of stillness, and then all we could hear was the loud sound of granny’s sobbing. I can’t recall how much time we spent that way; was it a few minutes, hours? That memory looks really blurry to me now, cause all I remember is the heartbreaking conversation we had later on.

   “Feeling better now?” I asked softly as I handed grandma a mug of hot coffee.
She nodded. We were in the living room, sitting on the couch, with Grandma facing us on the sofa.
“This story is more than 50 years old, yet the impact it had on me is so great that the memory still feels so fresh. It’s as though everything happened yesterday. You know how the cruelest things in life happen when we least expect them to. How the biggest secrets are revealed at the most unsuitable time. How the deepest wounds are the most easy to reopen. It’s crazy how a single mistake can lead to many others, and thus one mistake can cause a disaster…” She sipped a bit of her coffee, seeming more distant than usual, as though she was stuck somewhere else; in her past maybe.
   Somehow, it seemed like what she said implied to us as well. It’s us who caused the disaster this time. We even opened severe wounds that still didn’t heal properly.


   Grams carried on “I suppose you know everything that happened to Minji already, but I still need to clarify some things. My twin is actually buried here, in our farm, and yes, her miserable soul still dwells in this house. She’s not the only one. I don’t get it either, but sometimes I catch sight of a black cat in her room, that chamber, and of a little boy that seems to talk like normal living people. The three of them only appeared after my goddamned father passed away. You can say they kept me company. No, we never communicate, and Mini never physically appeared in front of me, but, I can tell she’s here. I can feel her emotions floating around...” she stopped to catch her breath.

“This might not be the most logical thing I’ve hear in my life, but after all the phenomenons I’ve witnessed with my own eyes, there’s nothing I can’t believe anymore, “ Luhan said simply.
“It makes sense if you think about it,” I added, “like how the little boy didn’t want us here, how I felt souls scaring me off that night I wanted to read outside, or how the electricity was cut off the day of the pa- I mean, how the frames were always rearranged and stuff. And I also saw the cat you told us about now, and I constantly hear sad violin music near that room.
“My sis must’ve taken a particular interest in you, huh?” she chuckled, “She’s not a bad person, they just don’t want outsiders here, it’s understandable.”
“But it must’ve been really hard, nan!”
“It sure was. It still is…” she whispered as a tear slid down her face. She wiped it quickly and said, beaming: “Come, I’ll show you the chamber!”

*^*

Guess who's back! Extremely sorry for this HUGE delay. I'm such a liar, just sorry guys :(
Please tell me what you think of this chapter, kay! I want as many comments as possible cause next time is LAST CHAPTER.