Siblings

Twins And The Chamber

 

 

________________________________

The cruelest things in life happen when we least expect them to.

The biggest secrets are revealed at the most unsuitable  time.

The deepest wounds are the most easy to reopen.

One mistake can cause a disaster
____________________
 

 ^*^

 

 

I felt clued to the floor. A figure was looking at me from the other direction, and the sad background music that I was hearing wasn’t helping at all. I slowly turned my head to the right. Grandma was standing at the end of the hallway, sending me a disappointed feeling. I could see a very strong unexplainable look in her eyes. I backed off a few steps from the door, shaking my head in denial. A deep sigh escaped my grandmother’s mouth.

She turned back saying in a tone mixed with rush, anxiety and fragility: “You must be hungry. Come and eat.”

She went out of my sight and I could finally breathe. I leaned down and help my knees firmly to keep my legs from shaking so hard. I hurried to the kitchen in fear of what could happen if I stayed there, and I shut my ears hoping to block out the loud echoing sound.
The rest of the day went by calmly. The day after, we had an unexpected guest who increased my curiosity even more…

 

       The doorbell rang twice before Luhan hurried to open the front gate. He welcomed the guests, who were a lady in her sixties and a young boy, and led them inside the living room, where we were sitting. Grandma’s face brightened when she caught sight of them.

“Oh my! Look who’s here!” she exclaimed as she hugged the woman and kissed the child. “How have you been? I’ve missed you so much. And look at this cutie; Junsu-ah you’ve grown a lot. Hey, kids, this is my cousin and her grandson.” She beamed at us then turned back to then and continued: “you’ve already met Luhan, my lovely grandchild. This is his twin sister Aeri.”

“Nice to meet you. You two look very alike. It must be fun having a twin from the opposite gender.” The woman smiled.

I took that as an insult, but I smiled back out of politeness. We sat together in the salon chatting, laughing, and sipping the tea grandma has made for us. Hours went by fast and it was finally time for dinner.

As we were eating the soup, grandma’s cousin said: “I originally planned to sleep here like I usually do, but I guess there’s no help for it since your grandchildren are staying in the guest room.”

“But nanny,” the little boy interrupted. “We can stay in the other closed room, right?”

I almost choke up on my food. My grandmother replied as softly as possible: “No sweetheart. You know you can’t.”

The other woman chuckled, which earned her a glare from grandma. “you haven’t changed at all,” she simply formed.

Around nine, our relatives left. And while we were tidying up the kitchen, Luhan brought a subject that was intriguing me, too: “I didn’t know you had siblings, granny. Comet o think of it, you never tall us about your family and relatives.”

“There’s nothing much to tell. I’m an only child and this cousin is the only sibling I have,” she explained.

“You must be very close, then. She’s such a nice lady.” He stopped for a minute then carried on when we were about to go upstairs. “Grams, who’s the man standing next to grandpa in that photo?” he pointed at the frame in front of him.

“Your mother’s grandfather.”

“Doesn’t that make him your father?” my brother asked, a bit confused.

“Seems logical,” she answered in a dry tone. “It’s getting late, let’s go to bed,” she muttered as she quickly made her way to the upper floor.

“What’s wrong with her?” my twin looked at me curiously.

“You shouldn’t have asked her about this.  She probably misses him a lot. You know grandma and all her stories of this house being a part of her and not being able to live anywhere else and- Aaahh,” I finished my reply with a big yawn that was contagiously passed to Luhan.

       We headed to bed, tired, confused, and oblivious to the fact that half the things we heard that day were lies.

 

^*^

Hi =]
I don't know if "I'm sorry" will be enough to apologize for making you wait :/