Behind the lock

Twins And The Chamber

 

________________________________

The cruelest things in life happen when we least expect them to.

The biggest secrets are revealed at the most unsuitable  time.

The deepest wounds are the most easy to reopen.

One mistake can cause a disaster

____________________

 

 

*^*

 

       The lock opened and Luhan removed it from the door. I swallowed my saliva and, together, we pushed the sides of the big double door. They were heavy, dirty and made a cracking sound as we pushed them. I looked at the large dark room in front of me and hesitated a bit before making a small step inside.

“Wait! What if grandma catches us?” Luhan freaked out.

“She won’t…” I said in a low voice, only paying attention to this creepy room that had a suffocating smell, as if it weren’t opened in years; which I bet is true.

“But Aeri… Wait! Are you sure about this? Hey I have a bad feeling, let’s get out,” he said to me. But I was already in the middle of the room.

He was going to step towards me but stopped. I turned to him and he said reluctantly: “I don’t like this. I’m staying outside, just in case grandma comes.”

He pulled the sides of the door towards him, leaving a small gap between them, which made the room even darker than before.

Just in case grandma comes, huh? What a chicken!” I turned around to get a better view of the room, which didn’t happen since it was so dark I couldn’t see anything. “Let’s see…” I muttered as I approached the side of the room and touched my surroundings.

What I touched felt like a carton box. I looked for an opening to it and found a small hole on the top. I opened my purse and grabbed my pocket knife. I put it firmly next to the hole and traced a line with my finger to mark the line that I should cut. I passed the knife on the carton and held the end of the box with my other hand.

“Ouch!” I hissed.

I accidentally cut my finger when I arrived at the end of line. Blood came out of the scar and my thumb hurt a lot. I put it in my mouth to the blood, wondering how the incident happened even though I made sure my hand was far from the line.

       When the pain eased a bit, I didn’t want to lose any more time so I decided to just tear the fabric. Dust came from it and I almost suffocated. I slipped my hand inside and touched the objects; there was leather, papers, lots of dust on the top. That was probably a book.  I grabbed it but it wasn’t of big value at that moment since I could barely see my own hands. Tossing it aside, I went back to searching the box. I felt small dry objects under my hand; my fingertips touched some untidy crepe paper. After a little movement, I touched what could be a padlock, a very small one, and as usual in grandma’s house, covered in dust.

I tried to grab the object, but I surprisingly couldn’t. It’s like it was glued to the box. I tried harder and pulled it with all my strength, but to no avail. I held my pocketknife again and thought about cutting the side of the box that’s stuck to it. This way worked and I held the foreign object that fate didn’t want me to take. It was undoubtedly a diary, a one that apparently had many answers to my open questions.

I stood up, smiling of satisfaction. I turned my head and scanned my surroundings. Of course, I couldn’t see anything, but I was getting used to the darkness by that time. I was wondering if I should search more, when I was suddenly pushed hard down to the ground.

“What has gotten in to you?” I yelled, “Luhan, you ba-” I froze in horror.

When I got up, I didn’t see anyone standing next to me.

 

*^*

ATTENTION!!
Yet another cliffhanger! Want the next chapter to come quickly? Well, I won't be updating it untill I get at least five comments giving a real opinion on this chapter.
Because I'm sad: I haven't been getting comments lately, just one or two per chapters, which makes me wonder where did my loyal reader go. I used to get lots of comments every chapter, but now, it seems like no one is here...