RM-ABS 39

Running Man All Boys School

“Mr. Anthony Park,” Ji hyo offered a hand which the man shook with a practiced flourish. Anthony Park has a firm handshake, confident and professional. He’s the picture of a perfect gentleman, except for those eyes. “What can I do for you?” Ji hyo asked, playing the part of a good host.

 

Anthony smiled charmingly which Ji hyo dismissed with cold indifference. He looked at her, really looked at her like he was searching and baring her very soul and then he laughed. The sound was surprisingly warm and hearty, unfitting for such a cold man with suspicious intents. “You are truly your mother’s daughter. And your father’s heir.” He paused, eyes crinkling in amusement, and waited for a reaction but Ji hyo would never give him that kind of satisfaction.

 

“Ah well… I wouldn’t want to waste your time Ms. Song and I’m not a man of many words unless it is necessary.”

“Then Mr. Park, why are you here?”

 

“You have heard rumors and unfortunately half I could admit to be true. I bend the laws as far as I could here and there… just like every businessman out there but there is one thing I have never done or even consider doing. Ever.” He paused again as he bored those intense orbs into hers. And for a moment he lets her see a flicker of humanity in those empty eyes but Ji hyo doesn’t know if she could trust the man -- if you could project emptiness in your very gaze, then wouldn’t it be easy to project sincerity too?

 

“Yes, I know. I am not trustworthy. Yes I caught your boys around my territory but I let them be as a show of my goodwill. I know what happened to your father, not who. Not yet but just the what, mind you. He’s missing, plane crash. You were kidnapped. But it isn’t me. I cheat, I lie, I manipulate when necessary. I am friends with nasty people… but I am not. A. Murderer.” He insisted, letting Ji hyo see beneath his mask and decide for herself.

 

“We are investigating, which doesn’t concern you Mr. Park. Thank you for--”

 

“Look child, I said I know things. I am not yet sure but you and me? We’re allies here. Someone is framing me. I have seen a lot, but this person who did this? We need to be afraid of him, terrified even. Your people profiled me and you know that I’m not a pushover --.”

 

“If that is true then you are here to help? Don’t think I will buy that Mr. Park.” Ji hyo said, gaze boring at the man, like a kitten snarling at a lion. Anthony chuckled, ruffling Ji hyo’s hair affectionately but only earning himself an indignant huff in return.

 

“You are cute Song Ji hyo. Yes, I am quite powerful but I need information. I have no legs in Korean soil. I need to know more and trust me, this guy? While I said I am not a murderer, I’ll happily introduce him or her to people who are.” Anthony dropped his masks again, letting Ji hyo in. But Ji hyo doesn’t trust him, nor does she have the sudden urge to do so after some fancy speech and sincerity.

 

The two soon drifted into an impasse. Anthony was still radiating an easy charm, a big, cocky grin on his handsome face. It really is a façade so natural most people would fall for it, but after seeing the man beneath, even if it was just a quick glance, Ji hyo is still not fooled. But there was something about Anthony that Ji hyo couldn’t pinpoint and it’s telling her to watch him closely. Learn of what he’s up too by keeping him near.

 

“Mr. Anthony Park,” the man grins widely at the mention of his name, knowing Ji hyo’s decision already. “I don’t trust you.” Ji hyo said to which Anthony only snorted a chuckle. “But I am willing to listen. What is your plan?”

 

“Firstly, it’s Anton not Anthony Park. Secondly, I need to know everything before I can give you a concrete plan. I am not asking for family secrets but just everything from your investigation and list of people who knows and who’s working on the case. And you my dear will be my primary witness so look forward into more… me.” Anthony grins, showing all his teeth. Manic energy danced in his brown orbs and for a while, Ji hyo is confused if she’s seeing a kid hyped with sugar or a shark that smelled blood.

 

“I will call my detectives to brief you Mr. Anton. I will be watching you closely.” Ji hyo pointed to a corner and waved. A silent reminder that she has eyes everywhere.

 Anthony Park may be dangerous, but he’s still a weapon Ji hyo could use to her advantage.

 

“Noona are you insane? Did you hit your head hard during your captivity or did you leave your sense of self-preservation somewhere in Sicily? What the hell was that?” Kyung soo burst out as soon as Ji hyo stepped inside the control room. The female teacher sighed, turning her attention to the screens that showed different angles of the conference room where Anthony Park waited for Ji hyo’s lawyers and detectives.

 

“I know you think he is our man Kyung soo. I still don’t trust him but he’s a resource. We could use him.”

“Noona, you aren’t that kind of person. This man could easily manipulate you, us! He could be the one trying to frame up somebody and we are helping him.”

 

“I know that! I am probably just a puppy trying to trick a wolf, but that’s why I have you. I have a team watching out for me. I know that the moment he decides to be a snake and strike, people would be on him faster than he could blink!” Ji hyo snapped, surprising herself as much as Kyung soo who looked at her slack-jawed. The two friends stared at each other until Kyung soo broke into a sad smile.

 

“You really trust too much noona… but you’re right. I don’t like it but yeah, it’s better to have him where we can watch him. I swear to all the gods though, just one wrong move, I will make sure he’d never see the sun again. I will flay him alive, slice up his flesh as thin as sashimi then I will grind his bones, use his blood to water the lands and I will--

 

“Yah, Kyungie… that’s getting a little disturbing.” Ji hyo scolded her friend with a laugh before deflating with a helpless sigh. “I just… I don’t know why Kyung, but there’s something that’s telling me I could use this man’s help. I do know he isn’t trustworthy, but I can’t dismiss him completely. I just feel like he’s the key to something.”

 

“Shh… it’s okay noona. We will let this Anthony help. We will watch him carefully too and we won’t stop looking for Hyung and Chairman Cheon. Someday it will be okay.”

 

Ji hyo nodded, feeling slightly better with the reluctant acceptance of her friend. She turned her attention on the monitors and watched Anthony Park charm his way into the defenses of Ji hyo’s legal and investigatory team -- who were all politely unperturbed. The businessman surprised Ji hyo when he looked directly on the camera -- which was hidden in the vents -- and saluted before leaving.

 

Maybe it is a bad decision but Ji hyo will trust her instinct and work with the enigma that is Anthony Park.

 

---/:::::/---

 

Ji hyo expected the pressure to increase as the days passed. The possibility of Cheon Sanggu and Kim Jong kook not returning alive were becoming more and more real. She expected it to get worst, to hear less development, for the trails to go cold. But surprisingly, she is making progress and it was all because of her new ally even if it’s only to weed out possible culprits.

 

Just one day after Anthony Park’s visit he was back with his suitcase, a luggage of gadgets (the man has two laptops, three tablets and Ji hyo saw six phones plus unidentifiable tech) and demanded a temporary office with a couch. Said couch became the man’s bed in the coming nights. Ji hyo told him to go home but Anthony only said: “I am called Anton and Kyung soo is a good cook. I like this couch better than my hotel bed.”

 

Kyung soo mentioned one time that Anthony has houses and mansions all over Korea but Anthony only laughed, mumbling something that sounded like “properties, assets… not home. Not even one clean sheet on those cold concretes.” Then Park just fell asleep in his three piece suit, Italian leather boots and laptop that worked even faster than Ji hyo’s not yet released specs-loaded ones.

 

It was hard to admit -- Anthony might be a shark, a sly businessman who paid and charmed for illegal things Ji hyo definitely doesn’t want to know about -- but remove all the illegal issues and what was left is a brilliant, intelligent, hard-working man. A charmer with witty, intelligent words a lawyer would envy. A secretly good hacker who can probably get any digital information he wants. And a man of science who heads his own research and development and still maintain his CEO position at the same time.

 

It was the third day of discussions, silence while coffee brewed nonstop, endless names and motives that got too farfetched the lower the sun goes down that Ji hyo was finally left alone with Anthony. Kyungsoo refused to leave for days but eventually had to go back to Running Man High. Ji hyo worked quietly alongside Anthony and it felt like they had always been like that.

 

Anthony’s pen dropped, catching Ji hyo’s attention. Ji hyo watched it roll until it hit her shoe and stopped. She picked it up and held it towards Anthony only to discover that the man has fallen asleep. Stealthily, Ji hyo walked behind Anthony and peeked at his laptop screen. Ji hyo’s grip on the pen tightened, her lips pressed in a straight line. She leaned carefully closer, the soft snores assuring her that Anthony was still asleep.

 

Somewhere in the room a phone rang and Anthony jerked awake, only to find Ji hyo’s unreadable face inches from his own. He followed her gaze and cursed aloud when he saw what she was reading. “Ms. Song… I, you shouldn’t--”

 

“Shouldn’t what Mr. Park? Shouldn’t know the truth? Don’t I deserve to know who did this to us… to you?” Ji hyo challenged, turning to face the other. That close, Ji hyo could see the real Anthony Park… and it painfully reminded her of her Pa, in a way. But in a flash the regret and emotions in Anthony’s face were gone, replaced by a playful, devilish charm Ji hyo now knows is just a façade. Instead he leaned in closer, meeting her gaze squarely. He made sure Ji hyo realized what their position looked like.  Ji hyo blushed but refused to back down. She met his deep brown eyes, daring and waiting.

 

It was Anthony who backed off eventually, casually burying himself in his swivel chair. Satisfied, Ji hyo straightened, crossed her arms and gave the man a look that screamed a demand for an explanation.

 

“Will you marry me?” Anthony asked. Ji hyo visibly faltered, almost comically collapsing on the floor. “Oh, I guess that’s a no Ji hyo honey? Well, what a pity. You can be my queen and rule Korea while I conquer the west. Our kids will be beautiful and I am awfully good looking, smart, witty and a devil in the sheets -- are you sure-- geez lady, I’m just teasing. But we’re a damn good match and the offer is open, just saying.”

 

“Just explain Mr. Park why it seems that you already know who the mastermind is.” The teacher said with a big scowl.

 

The smirk disappeared and left Anthony looking at a distance as if trying to decide where to start. He looked up at Ji hyo, pulled in a chair and gestured for her to sit down, to which Ji hyo readily complied with. “I know you have been hearing stories for days… so I will try to be as honest and as brief as I could. From this moment onwards, what I will share to you will stay between the two of us. Only those that are essential to the case can be repeated.” Ji hyo nodded her reluctant assent but before the man continued, he took out a gadget no bigger than an iPod and a series of loud beeps echoed in the makeshift office before dying down.

 

“I had disabled all signals in the ten meters radius. Our conversation cannot be recorded or seen. Just us now Ji hyo. The electronic lock of the door will only open when I use this little device again… do you trust me? Even just for a few minutes… will you hear me out?”

 

Without hesitation Ji hyo genuinely nodded and for the first time, Anthony smiled. A real smile devoid of his facades.

 

“Shame that you wouldn’t marry me… okay… uh, where to even start? You already know that I was the adopted son of Kim Mo hyun’s youngest brother. I am half American obviously and Anthony Park is really my name but my foster parents wanted to give me a Korean name -- Kim Na hoon.

“Foster pops was filthy rich until the typical sibling rivalry, rebellion and stuff happened... I was in high school when we moved to the US. Pops died on our first winter due to pneumonia and not even one Kim showed up.

“It got harder and harder to survive and mom, she pretty much ignored me after pop’s gone. I stopped schooling, got my GED and took on any job I could. It was tight until I landed a job at a community college and met Professor Blake. He sort of took me in as lab assistant caretaker. I sat in classes, learned from everyone I could, lived literally in the library. Later on I got a scholarship and that opened doors. Here’s the results now -- CEO, inventor, head of RD and one of the most sought bachelor in Cali.

I learned to hack from friends so I fiddled with our history… I found my real parents -- dead -- found out the juicy history of the Kims I bet even your father didn’t know about. But I knew, we could only blame our downfall to ourselves, not the Cheons.

Well, the rest was history. I got rich but contrary to what you think of me, it wasn’t an overnight success. When my step-dad died, mom had this lover. He was a businessman. They didn’t last but despite our s--”

 

Anthony paused, looked at Ji hyo and sighed. Ji hyo, immersed and hanging on every word had paled. Her brows were creased, eyes full of worry like she didn’t want to hear what’s next. After a few tensed seconds Anthony cracked up laughing. “Oh god! Your face Ms. Song! What were you thinking?”

 

“Y-yah! I wasn’t thinking anything… just continue. And shut up!”

 

Anthony wiped away a few tears and laughed some more before schooling his face again. Ji hyo was almost disappointed to see the mask back in place. Deep inside Ji hyo knew, she had found a new friend and she certainly wanted to comfort this new friend.

 

“So, back to me. I and Shane became good friends despite the . I am well aware that I am good but he was better at business and networks so we became partners. I create the product, charm our clients and he handled everything else. Money came pouring in. We worked hard, played hard and earned not just doubles.”

 

“Then if you were so successful in the US why did you came back?”

“I became sentimental… when I found out who my real parents were.”

“Who?”

 

Anthony Park looked at Ji hyo and gave her a small sad smile before shaking his head in regret. She instantly backed down and willed her mind not to even try and guess because she knew that the answer will change things that she’d never be ready to face. And Ji hyo was struck with a sudden fondness for the man. It wasn’t like the rocky start that developed into a smooth partnership and attraction she has with Jong kook. Nor was it like the instant brother/sister bonding she has with Kyung soo. But Anthony Park evoked Ji hyo’s protective instincts that made Ji hyo want to hold the man. And tell him that he isn’t alone anymore.

 

Because in a way, she could see what Jong kook could have been if he didn’t come back to Running Man. And In a way, this could be Ji hyo’s future too. Cold, unable to trust anyone but still smiles and carries on like it was the best thing in the world. The thought made her shudder and sympathize more with her unlikely friend.

 

“I spent too much time chasing after the shadows of the Kims. I left Shane to handle my company while I focus here in Korea. I never thought that he c-could betray me and even lock me out my own company just because he was able to somehow influence our shareholders. He probably convinced the board that I am trying to transfer here and those stupid Americans of course don’t want that. That’s why I am here. I need help. I need resources and support...

“I know you got kidnapped. Your family was just roped into this because I got curious -- I brought in all of these in your doorsteps the moment I stepped into Korean soil, no, the moment I said I will go back. He probably figured out my family history a long time ago and was just waiting for an opportunity. It’s all my fault and I--”

 

Anthony looked up desperately at Ji hyo. Gone were the confident charming businessman but in his place was a weary, desperate man, unsure and afraid… who looked at Ji hyo as if his whole world was crumbling under his feet. Without thinking Ji hyo pulled his swivel chair towards her and leaned for a hug.

 

“Anthony Park… I love my dad, and Jong kook is very dear to me but I don’t blame you. My dad is a brilliant man. If he knew that you were dangerous, he wouldn’t have entertained you. You would be back in US in a blink. And I believe he knew, knew who you are and that old sap is a bigger sentimental fool than you. That’s why he sold everything easily… he would have given you the school if only it wasn’t a very dear place for the two of us. I wouldn’t forgive you because it isn’t your fault.” Ji hyo whispered, rubbing the man’s back like she would with her friends before sheepishly letting go. Ji hyo smiled at him, tears already forming in her eyes. Anthony just sat there, flabbergasted and looking like he just had his first hug.

 

“I-I, Ms. Song… uhhh…”

“What’s with you Kim’s getting all speechless when emotions are involved? You are very much like the youngest Kim you know.” Ji hyo chuckled even if the memory of her Pa and Jong kook made her chest twinge painfully.

 

“I’m not a real Kim--” Anthony paused and looked questioningly at her. Ji hyo nodded, she knew his secret and she would keep it safe even from Jong kook or her dad, who probably knew anyways.

 

“So, Anthony. If you need help… resources or even special forces, you got it. We will make sure we get your company back and I get justice for Papa and Jong kook. Shane won’t have any chance between the two of us. We are the Kims and the Cheons. I don’t care if you are the top company in the US, my team is still better.” Ji hyo stood up, dialing her team to update them. But Anthony grabbed her wrist before she could pass him by.

 

“Please don’t tell them everything I told you.”

“Of course Anthony. Your secret is safe with me, even if you lied and told me you didn’t know who did this.”

“I said yet… he’s innocent until proven guilty and all I got as evidence are some accounting papers from somewhere in the office building. That’s why I need you… I need to get this man out into a prison cell or the death row”

“I know Anthony. I understand why you did things this way even if I didn’t like it.”

“I would have told you I swear but he’s using my stuff against me. It’s taking slower because I don’t have all my tech here and I need to be careful. He doesn’t need to know that I am working with you.”

“Kim Na hoon? Shut up. I said I know and I don’t need your excuses.” Ji hyo said with a look that dared the other man to try and oppose, and discover what Ji hyo could do to make him regret.

 

Anthony was once again surprised by the young woman’s words and, a first in a long while, he blushed. He dropped his head and whispered, “thank you, Ji hyo.”

 

Song Ji hyo grinned, and got back to work.

 

---/:::::/---

 

“Please… please… just live--” a tear streaked, grungy man whispered to the winds as he tended to his companion. He found some herbal leaves and roots he remembered from his days on summer camp. He willed the other to drink but was unable to, the liquid just uselessly wetting the unresponsive lips of the other.

 

Defeated, he curled behind the older, sleeping man -- very much reminded how useless he was. A long time ago this already happened. But he wasn’t with an older man but with a very young girl, in a cave waiting for help while the storm surged outside. He never thought he’d get to see death so close once again.

 

And like before, all he could do was wait helplessly and wonder why it couldn’t be him suffering. The only difference now is that help was miles, even literally oceans away.


Just one more chapter and an epilogue before we wrap up this story. I'm sorry for the lenght of this chapter which is two parts that I didn't want to cut and I found it hard to limit the storytelling this past two chapters -- I hope it wasn't too boring to read.

Thanks for reading :-)