chapter 38

Running Man All Boys School

Icy cold water rushed to her air deprived lungs as soon as she opened in a silent scream. An orange explosion of flames flashed before her eyes, momentarily blinding her sight. But in a blink it was gone, replaced by never ending nothingness. The water temperature was still dropping and she’s falling, falling until there’s no more excruciating pain but only numbness and silence.

 

She closed her eyes in surrender letting the darkness pull her deeper into its bosom.

 

 

“Noona!” Kyung soo rushed to a distressed Ji hyo who was whimpering and groaning in her sleep. He shook her hard but the woman didn’t stir. Kyung soo pulled Ji hyo against him instead, holding her tight as he silently prayed for her, for Jong kook and the chairman. “It’s okay noona, it’s all gonna be fine. I’m here and I will never leave you. It will be okay,” he whispered against Ji hyo’s harsh breathing. Those anguished sounds breaking Kyung soo’s heart into pieces.

 

After a while, Ji hyo stills in Kyung soo’s arms. He lets himself give in pressing a soft kiss at the top of Ji hyo’s head, murmuring comfort and assurances. “I know it’s not yet okay noona, and maybe it wouldn’t for a while but it will be. Just trust them. Trust that they will do everything to come back… trust Jong kook hyung,” And how he hopes it will be true. So he held her even tighter, comforting her and drawing comfort from the warm contact too. Swearing to her that he will always be by her side no matter what.

 

 

 

Ji hyo woke up slowly, almost expecting to open her eyes to the cold icy nothingness but instead it was warm. She snuggled closer to the source of heat, crying softly at the memory of the last time she had felt like this -- like she was home and safe -- in Jong kook’s arms. But Ji hyo could still remember the dream, could feel the pain as she drowned screaming for help that will never come. It was all too easy to see her Pa and Jong kook instead of her, calling out for Ji hyo to help them. But she can’t… she could only watch them sink in the waters.

 

“Hey noona?” Kyung soo’s voice jolted Ji hyo back into reality. She locked eyes with her friend, looking as helpless as she felt. “Noona just tell me what I could do… anything. I’d do anything to make it even just a tiny bit better,” he pleads but Ji hyo could only shake her head no because there’s literally nothing they could do. Instead, she clung tighter and cried some more. Until no more tears would fall and she felt as cold and empty as the dark waters in her dream.

 

The day passed just like the previous ones. During breakfast all teams reported their status to Ji hyo which isn’t really much. The chairman and Jong kook is still missing and no one has any idea on where they could be. The search parties promised to do their best but Ji hyo knew that as days passed, the chances of finding them was diminishing too.

 

Ji hyo focused instead on finding out the big why. Why would someone want the chairman dead when he is so much more valuable alive? Because if he died Ji hyo will get everything and if Ji hyo dies without an heir, everything will be up for charity. Who would gain most… or was it revenge?

 

“Mr. Park, Mr. Bo, there’s a reason I asked the two of you to meet with me privately. I need to know who did this to my family.” Ji hyo looked the detectives in the eye who nodded grimly, well aware of the depravity of the situation.

 

The duo spread out their findings before Ji hyo and Kyung soo who refused to leave her side -- which she really appreciated even if she’s not so vocal with it. The younger detective put up a large cork board. At the top they tacked two photos -- Cheon Sanggu and Kim Mo hyun. Under Cheon Sanggu, Ji hyo’s photo was placed and at the other side, Jong kook’s parents then the PE teacher himself as the heir, like Ji hyo.

 

“I know. I know that my father might have secrets but I trust that everything will be kept private. We will only focus on knowing who kidnapped me and if this is related to my Father missing. Please start.” She nodded to the detectives who immediately started with stoic professionalism. Only their red rimmed eyes betraying how hard they were working the past few days.

 

“Well, okay, this will be a lengthy discussion since we will start at the beginning…

“Twenty five years ago, Kim Industries is the biggest conglomerate of the time. During this period, Cheon Sanggu, a self-made man was still a small name. He became friends with the only son and heir of Kim Mo hyun, Kim Soo Ryu. The two met in a college talk, your Father was a speaker in a seminar Soo Ryu attended. They developed an unlikely friendship that years later, when the Kim heir started having gambling problems, he turned to his friend -- since Mo hyun refused to tolerate Soo Ryu’s vices.

 

“There were rumors. Sanggu gave Soo Ryu money and Soo Ryu introduced Sanggu to people who contributed greatly to Cheon Empire’s success. Your father’s accountant stated though that it stopped after a few years. Then Soo Ryu sold properties to your father with a special condition -- Soo Ryu could buy back his assets anytime.” the detective paused, making small notes in the board and adding more names and pictures of properties, even cars that were sold to the Cheons, even the land that now houses Running Man All Boys School.

 

“You can continue detective, I could imagine… the amount paid for those things were smaller than their actual value. My father… the chairman took advantage--”

 

Kyung soo placed a hand on Ji hyo’s shoulder cutting her words and for a while there was only nervous silence in the room. “Noona? Ji hyo noona, you know your dad better than me. Maybe this is just me being optimistic… but come to think of it… Both of them knew what they were doing. They were businessmen and even friends. Then later on maybe your dad realizes that it’s becoming an addiction and tried to help his friend by doing what Mo Hyun did. He stopped tolerating Soo Ryu--

“And then Soo Ryu-ssi ended up pawning his assets, maybe your dad thought it was better that he buys them instead of some loan shark or yakuza -- those guys are scary -- and the low price? Maybe that’s just his way to make it easier for Soo Ryu to get things back… I know it sounds ridiculous, like I’m making excuses… but the chairman is a good person.

“Chairman took in Jong kook hyung when he has nowhere to go. Heck, do you know why there are three sections for second years while the other levels only have two? Because the chairman took up this gang of delinquents and offered them free schooling, home and food. He has more scholars than any private school I know. He’s so good to his employees just ask anyone who works for him, like me.” Kyung soo ranted until this time it was Ji hyo who squeezed his hand back. The cook took a deep breath and smiled sadly. “Sorry for the outburst… I’m just saying, if he did any shady stuff before, he’s done a million things better now. He’s a good man.”

 

“Thank you Kyung…” Ji hyo whispered back, feeling ashamed for thinking of the worst about a great man that everybody thinks of fondly. A father who gives out the best hugs, someone who would drop everything to run into her… the man who picked her up a million times, cleaned up her mess and made her feel loved while still making his employees feel like part of the family. “Please continue detectives.”

 

“Cheon Sanggu kept the employees and changed very little with the properties and companies he acquired from the Kims, though he improved where he could. He also started foundations, garnering even more love and loyalty. Cheon Sanggu was getting bigger and more influential by the day while Kim Mo hyun was becoming a thing of the past and there were whispers from the servants. Kim Mo hyun trained his grandson to be the heir. He never once announced that Soo Ryu would inherit and then Ms. Cheon… on your sixth birthday, the Kims were invited. We believe this was the first meeting between you and Mr. Kim Jong kook. That night however… Kim mo hyun, Kim Soo Ryu and his wife, young Kim Jong kook… they were all there and there were news clippings, even some editorials saying that the two families were joining forces.”

 

Ji hyo remembers that night clearly despite her young age. She might not remember that it was her birthday but she did remember her mom telling her she could go play and have fun but even if it was supposedly her birthday, there weren’t any kids her age. Everyone was busy socializing to notice a kid who can barely talk business. To Seung Im it was just another day where adults talk and it’s best to just stay out of the way. Then she saw a boy, he’s a lot older but he seemed enjoying the night as much as she does.

 

Cheon Seung Im waved at the boy standing silently in a corner, almost hidden behind the heavy draperies but he didn’t smile or wave back like how other kids does. He didn’t look away though, so Seung Im approached him. He wouldn’t talk but he doesn’t seem annoyed at her presence so she stayed. Maybe he just didn’t like parties and little Seung Im knows the feeling very well. After a while the silence became too much so Seung Im drags the boy to the garden.

 

Because of the parties that Seung Im has to attend with her parents, she knew so well how to find the best spots to hide in while the adults do their boring thing. She brought her quiet friend to her tree house… not that it was really a tree house since she couldn’t climb so well yet and it’s just a wooden house set at the base of a tree with beautiful stairs and hand carved floors, walls and ceiling. It was lighted that night; her parents knowing so well her tendency to run there when bored.

 

Seung Im ushered her new friend inside then showed him her toys. They were all for girls and the boy didn’t look interested until Seung Im pulled out a music box. “That’s a good song.” the boy said. “Really? I’m Seuim.”

“Seuim?”

“Yep! Seuim!”

“Well… that seems a really weird name… I’ll call you Song Ji then, sounds close enough….” he said, turning the music on again and hummed along the sound.

 

 

And Ji hyo could remember his smile back then, like it was just yesterday. Ji hyo has very few memories of her early years… and that night was one of her most vivid ones. That night that she had found her first best friend.

 

“There were talks that you are to be married to Kim Jong kook at your eighteenth birthday Ms. Cheon and it was the biggest gossip that time. People were excited to see the two biggest family joining forces. Well, until the news of Soo Ryu’s gambling reached the news.

“It affected the stocks of Kim Industries… people questioned the future of Kim’s in the hands of Soo Ryu. They began to lose confidence in the Kim family while the trust in the Cheons grew. Until people start speculating about bankruptcy…  that the Kims was using  the Cheons to survive. Kim Mo hyun decided to kill all talks of mergers, even the supposed arranged marriage.

“They stayed away from your family, Ms. Cheon. Kim Mo hyun focused on their company… while his son squandered it away. It got bad… Mo hyun was good but people didn’t trust them anymore. Well, silently Mo hyun cut his loses… he still had enough to save half his company -- by selling to your father Ms. Cheon, who made sure not a whiff of the dealings gets public. And while he paid less for the things Soo Ryu sold him before, he paid Kim Mo hyun more than he was asking for but because of the old man’s pride, he never accepted more than his asking price.”

 

“I knew it! I bet if we compute all the excess payment the chairman gave Mo hyun, it would cover the entire amount he owed Soo Ryu. I know he’s not the shark here -- oh, sorry for interrupting... Please don’t mind me.” Kyung soo said, flushing red at the attention of everyone in the room. He looks up at Ji hyo, finding her smiling and he couldn’t help but return it, realizing that he couldn’t remember anymore when Ji hyo had last smiled. Or when was the last time she wasn’t wearing the unreadable mask in her face.

 

“So… we looked at all the properties sold to Mr. Cheon by Kim Mo Hyun and his son… well, as you can see… only one person bought them off. Mr. Anthony Park. Also Known as Kim Na Hoon, a distant cousin of Kim Jong kook. Born and raised in America. There is no known contact between him and his family here in Korea… in fact, it seems, he doesn’t even seem to like Kim Mo Hyun and his family. We are at a loss on why he’s buying everything back.”

 

Ji hyo sighed wondering why her life is suddenly a very clichéd drama. She finds a man that she ends up falling in love with… but the past is relentlessly trying to part them. Even involving a really distant relative that doesn’t want anything to do with his Korean family.

 

“Detectives, please find out everything you can about this Anthony. Where did he get his funding, what is he doing with his new acquisitions. I want to know everything about this man, especially his activities a month before and until I was taken. Thank you for meeting with me.” Ji hyo said with a nod to the detectives who gave her an understanding smile. The two finalized the board with all the details they’ve managed to gather then left.

 

“Noona? What do you want to do now?” Kyung soo asks as soon as they were alone.

 

“Seriously Kyung? I just want to find my father. Maybe have a chat with this Anthony while we wait, but seriously I’m just going crazy! With all these things happening… I miss the kids. I miss the school, even Dongwan and his glares! I miss my Pa sulking when I don’t come out for tea in his office, I miss Jong kook and his annoying muscles…” Ji hyo closes her eyes and just slumps weakly into the chair, it was almost peaceful looking the way she rested there, if not for the sad curl of her lips, and that wrinkly frown.

 

Silently, Kyung soo places his hand on top of hers and says nothing. These days, it feels like all he could do anyway is just to stay there and wait… and hope that anytime from now, they will hear good news.

 

“Ms. Song?” the secretary entered the room, her normally composed expression replaced with uncertainty, almost worried and fearful, which was unlikely for the secretary. Ms. Lee hesitates, but continues with an edge of nervousness. “A Mr. Anthony Park wants to meet with you.”

 

“What?” Ji hyo exclaims, standing up abruptly. Kyung soo tenses at the name of their guest and tension filled the room.

 

“He’s here… he just appeared so suddenly in front of my desk then demanded to see you. He said you would want to meet him. Actually he said -- you’d be dying to meet him. I called security but he just looked at me and smiled threateningly. The security is on stand-by but they are outside the room.”

 

Ji hyo takes a deep breath, quickly making up her mind. The determination in her face alerted Kyung soo who knew right away what Ji hyo was about to do. “Noona I don’t think it’s a good idea to--”

 

“I will meet him Kyungie. Ms. Lee, stay with the security team and monitor the meeting remotely. Call back the detectives. We will be in the conference room,” Ji hyo said with restrained rage, taking mental inventory of all the latest ‘spy’ technology of her Pa’s special conference room that is so full of bugs it will make a professional spy drool.

 

“Ms. Song, the man seems… creepy. Are you sure?” Lee asks but like the good secretary she is, she still went on preparing what Ji hyo might need. A notebook, a recording pen… even a secret camera that can be connected to a computer despite knowing the special toys in the conference room.

 

“Yes, I would. Don’t worry guys. I’ll be safe and everyone will be looking out. In fact, this guy should be the one feeling scared.” Ji hyo said took the things Lee prepared for her and walked out the door with her heart beating fast in her chest.

 

Ji hyo made her way to the conference room schooling her face into blankness. An unreadable expression that no one can crack adorning her pretty face. She waited silently for her guest. At the sound of the knob turning, Ji hyo focused on the door and watched Mr. Anthony Park enter the room.

 

A very handsome Korean-American man around his early thirties stepped inside. He was sporting an easy smile that could be described as friendly and even charming. It was a face of a celebrity with an aura that just pulls you in but his eyes -- they were as cold as ice. It reminded Ji hyo of her nightmares, of cold, dark emptiness, of hopelessness and drowning endlessly. Like a void, like the eyes of a man who lost all its humanity and soul.

 

“It’s a nice day, isn’t it Ms. Cheon… or should I call you Song Ji hyo? I’ve heard you’re interested to know everything about me… you can call me Anton, like how my friends like it.” Anthony Park said, his voice deep and confident with the underlying mischief laced in his tone. Like he knew all of Ji hyo’s secrets, like he knew everything she’s dying to know… it made Ji hyo shudder to hear him talk like he knew everything -- and he probably does anyway…


Thank you for reading :-) I know it's really a very late update but I will do my best... the weekend review for the licensure is starting and with work during the weekdays it's a bit of a tight sched but I really want to finish this. So please bear with me. Thanks again!