RM-ABS 18

Running Man All Boys School

A/N: Most of this chap will focus on other people to give us a glimpse of Ji hyo's remaining family. It was fun to write even if it wasn't very SA-ish... but hey, I give you some cuddles! Thanks in advance for reading and Happy Holidays to all! :-)


An army of 100 people work routinely for the Cheon family’s estate. Five of them are gardeners exclusively for the mansion and its nearby boundary. Ten more tends to the forestry and the orchard in the large hacienda. Others care for the horses and livestock. Their families live with them around the mansion near the perimeter fence. They also help their breadwinners run the place and in return Mr. Cheon gives them a place to live and they grow their own food. The generous landlord also provides free education for all their children and for those who are worthy; they get to have a college education. For those who don’t qualify, Mr. Cheon had always found a place for them in his empire. Mr. Cheon values and rewards those who are loyal.

 

In interviews, he had always said that a happy employee is a happy company. Some people would say instead that happy customers are happy businessmen… well it’s true, but you don’t make your customers happy in person -- it’s the ones in the lowest rungs who do that.

 

His enormous house with its equally large grounds is but a small hint as to how large the Cheon fortune really is and with only one daughter and him, it is too empty and lonely most of the time. Outside his vast study in the mansion, the oldest Cheon could only watch his workers go on with their daily tasks. Some have their family with them, kids try to help but really, they just mess up things. It doesn’t matter though, because the young ones’ antics make the adults laugh and smile. He’s often… sometimes jealous of those parents downstairs…

 

Mr. Cheon eyed the phone lying amidst the best money could buy. It hasn’t rung since his dearest daughter and heir told him that the fiasco concerning her and that boy has been resolved. She enthusiastically told him about how Jong kook helped her… which actually was just her giving some hints of what happened and more of praising the man. He misses his daughter so much and she rarely calls now unlike when she was in college when she never missed out calling or at least sending a message every day.

 

The office is warm. The fireplace happily lit and casts a play of shadow that makes the room seem cozy. His oversized chair is taunting him to just sit and relax. He has tons of work and papers to review. He has countless appointment and meeting to make but it didn’t help him forget the loneliness. Being rich and important means he can make people go to him so he relocated his office in his house. As empty as it is, at least he could always look at a corner and remember the ladies of his life. At least, that way, it almost feels like they really are there.

 

A knock interrupted his thoughts and he remembered that he had to meet with the principal of his school for the annual report. It’s his tradition to speak with each head of his companies to personally gauge and evaluate them. This year, the school is last among its brothers and sisters. Everyone did well and the school had gotten better since his wife has passed away but he was still sad to see it stagnate.

 

He migrated to the circular desk in the middle of the room and scanned the thick report while he waited for the secretary to buzz the principal in.

 

“Good morning director Cheon.” The smaller man smiled but revealed nothing of his emotions. It was easy to deduce that he is the last one for the annual report with all the folders moved away and the place looking like it already went into the worst of the battle. The office was very immaculate but the aura was there anyway.

 

“Take a seat Principal. Now I’m sure you’re very anxious to get back to your kids so I suggest you start now with your report.”  The director leaned in his chair and got a tablet. Unlike others, he likes this kind of meetings to be very private and personal and that also means he makes his own notes.

 

“Sir, Running Man High is the second biggest athletic school in the country. Just last year, 56% of our graduates were accepted in universities known for their sports program. These kids play for their schools and more than half of them are dubbed golden rookies by the press. Our earlier graduates had also advanced into captain ranks and about 20% has also gotten in smaller colleges as head players. The number of our students has also --"

 

“Principal, I’m sorry to interrupt but I am curious. You mention a 56% and a 20% that is 76%. Where are the others? What percent did make it into the professional leagues after college? What happens now to students who cannot play anymore? Do I even have to point out why we’re still just second best boarding school in the country?” he said very, very calmly he could fool most that he’s really just curious. But his employees know him. He’s very generous. He is compassionate and kind but he expects the best not for him, but for everyone. As the director had always said, they are a chain, linked not by blood but life. If someone fails, everyone does. If one is miserable, everyone is too and that is life.

 

“Principal, I know that you have done so well and I give you pressure beyond acceptable. But we’re dealing with kids. We want them to have life that doesn’t end in school… we are the prep stage. Once they step out in the world… we need to make sure they can take that step into the real start of their life. So all these stats, I know this. Tell me something I wouldn’t be able to read in this very thick folder you have submitted.”

 

The smaller man invisibly flinched but his stoic expression remained unmoved. “Well director, first I apologize for not starting this the way I should have.” He produced an envelope and placed it on the desk, pushing it forward to his superior who only raised a curious brow.

 

“I hope this is not a resignation letter principal Dongwan. I’d hate to lose you.” He joked, earning a nervous chuckle form the opposite male. “No sir. Please open it.”

 

He did as he was asked and was genuinely surprised. Before he could ask, Dongwan beat him and explained. “The boys are doing a play. It’s a small scale play for the classroom but it escalated quickly and became a full pledged one in less than two weeks. I hope you can come and see.”

 

“Two weeks?” his Ji hyo had been a part of her school’s drama team way back in her high school days. It was a nightmare to calm her down and the preparation felt like ages before the actual show. “That’s pretty impressive. And what does this have to do with my problem?”

 

“Sir, our problem is that we are focusing too much on our athletic programs as you have mentioned but in reality, I agree, that the kids would probably go to college, graduate and never play professionally. Some wouldn’t be good enough for sports to feed their families. It’s important for the kids, but not all of them are gearing for this field after school so sir, we are in a transition to give them options. I want Running Man High School to produce men who will run into the world prepared for anything like you have stated earlier. This play is a start of many programs to help students discover what more they could do. We are also slowly introducing them into regional academic competitions to expose them to new challenges and acquaintances. Being a boarding school means you don’t get out that often and I don’t want these kids to be socially stunted and locked in the culture they grew up in. We hired a teacher, he was recommended by the board and he excels in sciences and robotics. We are opening more clubs and encouraging everyone to be trial members. In years, we’ll see the effects of this by setting up alumni programs and a simple chat forum. Running Man High will open its doors and keep the ties inside tight and close. We will be a community of individuals who excels in not only sport. We’ll soon be able to see alumnus in different fields and professions sir. That is my plan and vision for this school.” The man tried not to be too obvious in catching his breath but failed. He looked at the Chairman respectfully but with defiance in his eyes. The chairman laughed and relaxed in his chair.

 

“Dongwan, I know your reputation and do you remember how you used to whine that it would be terrible to place you there.” The older man leaned towards his employee and with a hard look he nodded, “I was right. You care no matter how much you whine and you are where you should be. I am satisfied and curious with your report.”

 

Dongwan sighed in relief. He shoved his shaking hands under the table and smiled politely. “Thank you sir.”

 

“You see, migrating my office here might be a bad idea. I should pick a company I want to be hands-on with and transfer there, rotate, get around this huge group. Get a better feel of things and events. What do you think if I start with RM High?”

 

“Sir?”

 

“Well I think it would be good to focus at it for at least half a year or more. I have neglected it long enough and here I am making ridiculous demands. The admin building still have that unused auditorium right? It has the perfect view of the campus and I can convert it into a studio loft and office.”

 

Dongwan thought it was a bad idea. Two Cheons in one place... he was really lucky Ji hyo is well behaved (with tendencies that resembles her father’s too much for his comfort) if a bit headstrong… but the older Cheon has quite a reputation and he did worked with the man before… he’s not excited at all but he could only nod. Pathetically he couldn’t even manage a fake smile. “Well sir, I guess I’ll have the maintenance--”

 

“Oh don’t bother. Now aren’t you anxious to be with your kids and the grand vision?”

 

Taking the words as his cue to leave, Dongwan hastily blurted a goodbye and a deep bow (that made his back scream at the abuse) before escaping retreating.

 

“Dongwan?” The principal stopped before the door but didn’t turn around to the source of the voice. “Don’t tell her.”

 

“Of course, sir.”

 

 

“Tae An?” Chairman Cheon peeked and found his secretary fiddling with her phone. “Your brother studies at RM right?”

 

“Yes sir.” The girl didn’t even look up and her hand never stopped moving. Mr. Cheon smiled. “We’ll be relocating the office. You’d get board and lodging as always and extra allowance on site.”

 

“I assume it’s in RM sir? I will contact your designing team. Are we calling J or R in this one?”

 

“Call in double R. she’s better with stuff like this. Tell her I want something warm and kid friendly without looking like a guidance counselor lair.”

 

“Excellent sir. We’ll have the place ready in a week. I will have the budget request and quotations ready by morning. Will that be all? Oh, and Architect R said she’d drop by in an hour. You’re free by the time she’s here.”

 

“That will be all, thank you Tae An.” He did have a valid reason to hire the woman and pamper her despite her odd. She’s deadly efficient and that weighs more than all the quirks and weirdness. They’d really fit in the school-- eccentric old man and his quirky secretary plus his daughter of million personalities.

 

“You’re most welcome sir.” The girl answered in a bored tone but Mr. Cheon only grinned, he is excited and just a week and he’d... be dead. Ji hyo will kill him but maybe if he whines enough that he’s alone and so sad… it would work. The puppy eyes and pout always do work. Or he could always use the I’m-a-lonely-old-man-card.

 

---/:::::/---

 

Ji hyo thinks Dongwan is weird.  He is already weird before but he has gotten weirder. “Noona, why are you looking murderous? The veggie did nothing wrong you know?” She smiled sweetly at the boy and shrugged.  “Dongwan’s making me jumpy.”

 

“He makes everyone jumpy but he’s a good man. Too strict, creepy, and a little crazy on the edges… but he’d fight for the kids if ever.”

 

“He indirectly forbade you to go home Kyungie.” She reminded the boy with a chuckle. The other stopped chopping and dramatically made a surprised expression. “Then he’s a good .” He said with a dismissive shrug.

 

“But seriously, ever since the play… he allowed us late night practice, had snacks delivered the other night, let us use the auditorium… something is going to happen, or it’s already happening.” Beside her she felt small movement. Turning to her right, she was surprised that Jong kook was laughing silently. “And you Mr. Kim, why are you laughing?”

 

“You are very paranoid. It’s funny--hey! Yah, knife is for the vegetables, I’m not a vegetable, put that away please.” The PE teacher complained without stopping from chopping. They have decided to help out in the kitchen not only because it helps Kyung soo relax -- absolutely not because it’s an excuse to be together in one place -- but also to familiarize themselves in their soon to be designation.

 

 “Well, it never happened before. I mean the play. But Dongwan does like investing in stuff the students like... especially if they excel in it. He encourages kids to be… more, I guess. Just not obviously. Shucks, I’m actually surprised to realize that.” Kyung soo interrupted.

 

Ji hyo looked puzzled for a moment. “But I’m still sure there’s something. You guys don’t get it. That man hated me and now… he’s different. Like he knows something I don’t and he’s laughing at me silently.”

 

“Aw noona, you’re such a stage mother. The play’s making you overanalyze. Come on, your nerves must be shot. Just chill.”

 

“You don’t rest enough Ji hyo. I will look after the practice tonight and you go get some sleep.” The other teacher offered.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Now that is what’s weird.” Kyung soo mumbled. Ji hyo shot him a questioning glance that sent him explaining before anyone could ask. “You listened noona. To Hyung. You listened without a fuss. That is reeeeeally weird.” The cook earned a glare broken by a huge yawn that Ji hyo failed to restrain. With a laugh, Kyung soo took the knife and Jong kook took the vegetable she’s peeling. She tried to complain but another huge yawn interrupted her.

 

“Nap time Ji hyo. Get some shut-eye before your saliva drips down and contaminates dinner.”

 

“Yah Mr. Kim! I don’t drool.”

 

“Just kidding. Go get some rest.” Jong kook finally looked at Ji hyo and those eyes are worst than her dad’s pleading ones. She thanked the mother hens and headed to her room. It was already bright and early when she woke up. She would have felt annoyed that no one woke her up but then… she felt so well rested and so energized that she mostly felt more grateful.

 

She turned to the bedside table to look at the time and found a snack. Seriously Kyung…

 

Picking up the apple, she was surprised to see a note written in a familiar scrawl.

 

We’d cook breakfast early… there’s food at the pantry if ever you get hungry…

 

And Ji hyo knew it wasn’t Kyung’s handwriting… or Inguk’s. She didn’t even realize and no one would ever point it out anyway… that her smile that day was a bit bigger, brighter. She was happier but didn’t notice and if she did, she wouldn’t be able to pinpoint the reason anyway.

 

---/:::::/---

 

She couldn’t sleep again just like the previous nights but this was worst. Because tomorrow is d-day and she’s too excitedly afraid. Her bedroom feels claustrophobic and she’s never had those tendencies before so she doesn’t have any idea on how to deal with it at all. She had scolded and bullied everyone to sleep but she herself can’t. Tried so hard, but couldn’t. Her mind just wouldn’t shut up and stop worrying.

 

Frustrated, Ji hyo found herself curled in the living room couch, a really, really boring book clutched in her chest. She was reciting dates and significant events in history when Jong kook and Kyung soo found her.

 

“Couldn’t sleep noona?” the boy asked as he took away the book.

 

“I tried… I can’t. I want’ sleep but I couldn’t. Did everything… but,”

 

“We’ll help out… just stay there noona.”

 

Jong kook didn’t talk but he got fleece blanket that smelled like fresh laundry with a unique scent she couldn’t identify but liked a lot.  Kyung soo made her tea that was supposed to make her sleep. It smelled wonderful but tasted like petals so it was ineffective (because the potted plant drank it for her). Jong kook intervened with a disapproving scowl (she thought no one saw what she did to the poor plant) then he made Ji hyo warm milk.

 

They ended up all slouched in the really cozy and spacious sofa. Kyung soo kept hiding his yawns beside Ji hyo. Jong kook sat quietly on the other side, effectively sandwiching her. They were warm and comfortable especially with Jong kook’s bulk… it’s just, too comfy. She’s too aware of those facts and wondered why it’s hard to drink her milk when it’s not even that hot. She wouldn’t even remember ever finishing the glass in the morning… but it was one of the most amazing sleep she’s gotten in a week beside that naptime turned bedtime. Even when she woke up cuddling and drooling (she’d still deny forever that she drools) on Jong kook with his arms all around her in the sofa… and even if she didn’t realize that Kyung soo wasn’t there anymore.

 

“Thanks,” she murmured and got up as carefully and as silently as she could. She miraculously escaped his death grip and slinked back to her room. On a normal day, Ji hyo would have freaked out and overanalyzed stuff like how natural it is to cuddle with the muscle man, or how she fit perfectly in his arms… but today, is D-day. She pushed back the whys and everything ‘Jong Kook’ on the farthest room in her brain and started to prepare for the show.

 

On the sofa, with his eyes now open, Jong kook smiled and breathed in her scent that still clung in his favorite blanket. It wouldn’t be seeing the laundry room for quite a while.

 

 

 

“Okay team… don’t be nervous don’t worry, you’re all good--”

 

“Ma’am… you already gave your speech last night. It very much appreciated.” Joongki pointed out in his unique cool-but-actually-caring tone. The comment opened the range fire and soon the other students joined in, obviously trying to ease the nervousness permeating the air.

 

“It was a better speech. The first time, now…”

“This is awkward…”

“Last night is touching... this is embarrassing.”

“Just stop worrying Ma’am, we’d make you proud.”

 

“Idiots!” but there were tears in her eyes. You already did, you idiots… Someone shouted group hug then suddenly everyone was squeezed around each other laughing and absolutely-not-crying. “Go on kids before you destroy you costumes! Give them the show of their lives.”

 

“Of course ma’am! That had always been the plan.”

 

Everyone agreed and headed out. Ji hyo went to the control room with their IT guy and took a deep breath. She doesn’t know how many are watching but it doesn’t matter… focus, focus…

 

After a few seconds, the stage darkened. The host announced the title and start of the show… the narration started and paused. A loud applause echoed that made Ji hyo double take… a full house… it had been so long since she’d heard that kind of sound. Suddenly it’s just her and the controls. The play…. She’s in it through the kids… they’re perfect… everything is.

 

She missed the stage. She ignored it though, as she got acquainted with a new emotion -- a nameless emotion that made her warm and proud. It made her content to watch and be their cheerleader. She wants to see these kids on stage many times, more than she wants to be there. It made her feel happy less scared… also made her think and believe firmly that no matter what, her kids would be fine. These kids are fine, they won’t be all going to have fancy lives… but they will survive.

 

And there they are, showing everyone that they were wrong in thinking that Class 2-C is nothing. That its students are troublesome rebels. Now, not only Kyung soo, Jong kook and she would see Class 2-C’s real colors. Now people would understand why Jong kook makes them run laps, but runs it with them. Why the man awkwardly tries so hard to suggest steps that looks professional and yet he denies knowing how to dance, saying that the kids are better and that voice. Ji hyo didn’t know he could sing, and his voice was just… Ji hyo’s brain stuttered. Why did her thoughts suddenly focused on him again?

 

She turned her attention on the kids. She was again assaulted by the unknown emotion that’s causing a chain reaction in her that she couldn’t explain.

 

What do you want Ji hyo?

I want these kids to succeed…to be more than what they believe they could. What are you called?

Silly child… you know me, everyone does.

No, no… I don’t.

I am called many things, I am many forms, I am no words and even in nothing I exist. Your kind has always had me…

I don’t understand…

Ji hyo-yah, can you really not recognize me?

I really don’t,

You should, child… Don’t be afraid of us… don’t be afraid of love, of being in love, Ji hyo-yah…

But I’m not…afraid.  I know love, I love my children (a feeling of a laugh echoed quietly) --I’m what, why, I do know!

 

But there was only the sound of cheers and applause and no more replies. And that strange warmth, familiar but different.

 


I am oblivious in real life when it comes to myself so don't wonder why my characters are reflecting it lol. I can probably pick up those who are interested in my friends among a crowd, but tell me you want to experience marriage booth I’d say that’s nice, I haven’t tried it too then I got fake married, he cheek-kissed me, I blush, then I go home and think, it’s part of the package. You drop by my house coz birthday party, I wouldn’t think of anything but worry that you must have been just roped in. Coz parties and I are boring. You give me a stuffed toy with ‘I love you’ and say something vague like, ‘you were looking at it… so here…’ I would think you are generous and I must have looked so desperate you got sorry. So yeah, author is oblivious and made a cameo with my favorite workmate, characters are oblivious. Story will gain vaguer plot soon. Someone remind poor author to retrieve the chappies she types in the office when her seatmate is away.

Happy holidays and thank you again for reading. I hope you enjoy the story despite the sloooow updates and meaningless rants. I try to post early but overtimes sometime happen and computer shop closes early so....