RM-ABS 31

Running Man All Boys School

Kim Jong kook found himself looking up at the chairman who was hovering around with alarmed concern. He tried to breathe deeply but couldn’t seem to get enough air into his screaming lungs. “Hey boy, come on just breathe. Slowly, please. Inhale, exhale…” the chairman rubbed his back while the teacher struggled to follow the older man’s instruction. Finally, his breathing slowed down and he realized he was on the floor, his own arms curled around himself tightly.

 

“I-I’m sorry, s-sir. I-I…”

 

“Shh… it’s okay. Don’t worry about it son.”

 

The teacher nodded, standing up with weakened knees as he accepted the hand extended to him. He slumped on a nearby chair, gratefully taking the glass of water the Chairman offered. He sighed, facing Sanggu with weariness and sincere honesty in his eyes. “Sir, I have fallen for your daughter, that I admit. I love her. I really do… ever since I was young she has always been important to me but I am not deserving of her. I’m… I’m not enough. She deserves better.”

 

“Do you really believe that?” Sanggu asks horrified and angry at seeing the turmoil in the boy’s eyes. He couldn’t believe all the emotions swimming in those orbs and he wished so badly that one day those will be gone, replaced by happiness. “I told you Jong kook that it doesn’t matter. I may not be in the position to say anything and maybe words from me is not enough to dissolve the ugly lies you believe in -- but Jong kook you are not a man who deserves nothing. You have a ‘ty’ past” the man even raised his hands to quote in the air, coaxing a weak smile from Jong kook, “but it doesn’t mean you are a ty person. And I hope my approval counts, if my daughter returns your feelings, I will nag you youngsters to get married and give me a battalion of grandkids to spoil.”

 

Jong kook gaped at the older man, his ears tinged with red. He blinked, shaking his head as if he was trying to wake up from a dream that’s too good to be true. “S-sir? But I have this red stain in my teaching career, I-I’m your rival’s kid… I-I… if people find out that I was that disgraced Kim’s heir--”

 

Kim Sanggu shook his head. He placed fatherly hands on Jong kook’s shoulder and willed the younger man to look at him. “Jong kook-ah, I wouldn’t care, I don’t! I am rich enough to ignore the hit on my stocks should reporters manage to find dirt on you which is impossible. I told you, your grandfather is a paranoid bastard and he ensured you are taken care of, even your reputation. Besides I am more paranoid and influential than him. Ah, and my daughter cares not for what others say. The stain you’re telling me is not an issue anymore. You were cleared, courtesy of your past and current student.”

 

“Cheol Ji and Myung soo?”

 

“Yes, Myung soo is a bright and resourceful kid. So, all your reasons are void. Now tell me. Are you worried that those reasons will besmirch the Cheon family name, or are you just scared that people would know of your past?”

 

Jong kook looked away in shame. He asked himself too and gets horrified at the answer. Yes, he doesn’t want Ji hyo saddled with his issues but another part of him is just scared. That part who couldn’t handle society, that dark part of him who would rather run than face the light. Jong kook is a big coward, he realizes.

 

“Kim Jong kook, I am truly sorry hearing your story. I wish I could make the load lighter but I couldn’t even begin to guess how heavy your burdens are. All I can say is that those burdens you’re carrying? It’s time to let go son… or if you can’t, then unload one by one… share it. Let people in… allow yourself some respite and heal. Please do it for this old man and for yourself, also, for Ji hyo and the people who truly care for you. You aren’t alone anymore.”

 

Jong kook tried to nod while fighting the warm wetness in his eyes. Then he’s being hugged tightly and he lets himself be pulled into the warm inviting arms. He rests his forehead in the older man’s shoulder and cries. He tried to stifle the sobs but he couldn’t. He felt warm, not warm like when he had Ji hyo in his arms but it was also pleasant. Jong kook guessed it was how a parent’s hug feels like. He felt accepted, safe. He may not remember ever hugging his dad or his mom -- he only hugged his grandpa when the old man was at death’s door which was not very pleasant, but he decides that he likes hugging. He truly wants to believe the older Cheon and maybe a part of him is beginning to already.

 

Jong kook couldn’t just let go but he heeds Sanggu's advice and unloads a little. Jong kook starts it by hugging the man back, wetting the expensive suit the chairman was wearing. “Hey child, I’m pretty sure you know the Running Man tradition. my dear daughter to the intramurals dance ball. Many people will try, but don’t be scared. The worst that could happen is she steps on your toes while dancing so I suggest wearing steel toed boots. Just ask her.”

 

 

Shyly Jong kook disentangles and nods. Cheon Sanggu smiles at him and Jong kook felt a little braver.

 

---/:::::/---

 

“Hey! Noona!”

 

Ji hyo turns around, finding Kyung soo breathless. She frowns, wondering why the cook looked haggard, heaving and sweating. “What’s up Kyung? Looks like you fought your way here?”

 

Kyung soo takes a deeps breathe, collapsing on the carpet dramatically then looks up at Ji hyo as if she holds the key to his salvation. “Noona, I did literally fight my way up. This is crazy!” he replied, standing up and throwing his hands in surrender. He walks to the kitchen and grabs a glass then gulps down water angrily.

 

“Why are you so worked up Kyung?”

 

“Ha! Your students are fighting on who would you to the balls! Can’t you just choose so they’d shut up?”

 

Ji hyo looks at her friend, amusement dancing in her features. “You know that I can’t choose one of my students as my date. But if you want, then just tell them I’m going with you.”

 

“Are you nuts?!” the boy says, slamming the glass down on the table. Ji hyo laughs and Kyung soo glares at her indignantly. “You are really crazy noona! Those kids will kill me if I tell them I’m your date. And they are actually having a competition right now as if they really believe the winner will get to date you!”

 

“Are you serious? Maybe they are just practicing for the games. They’d never kill you Kyung; just tell them you won’t cook anymore.”

 

“They won’t buy that bluff noona. They know I love them too much.”

 

“Well, who would go with me? I could ask Pa but he’d probably tell me to find someone else. The other teachers will bring in their wives and girlfriends, plus I’m not that familiar with the faculty bachelors.”

 

“I can’t be your only option noona! The kids will kill me, please have mercy on me.” the boy wails and Ji hyo just laughs at him. Truthfully, she’s not fond of dance balls. It reminds her of the mandatory, stuffy, boring galas rich businessmen and socialites love. It’s not so bad if her family is hosting it -- her Pa is infamously a party animal after all. Ji hyo could always show up alone. Though she couldn’t deny that things got interesting after it was announced that the intramurals ball is a go.

 

Haha was the first to ask and was also the first to be rejected. A student, not from her class, stole the key to the control rooms and broadcasted to the whole school his wish to become Ji hyo’s dance date. Boys would stalk and ask her out whenever she walked the hallways. Some were being cute leaving cards and banners all over the place. Sweets, stuffed toys, flowers and food kept appearing. Someone even mailed her a poster and CD of her favorite show -- all items were returned to their owners but food items were shared to the whole class. The boys were a bit overenthusiastic but of course Ji hyo politely declined everyone (which was literally the whole student body). She thought they’d be over it by now which was a mistake. Ji hyo looked at her friend apologetically, “Don’t worry Kyung, I’ll tell everyone--

 

“That I will be your Ji hyo-yah.” a male voice says, completing the sentence for Ji hyo. Both Ji hyo and Kyung soo turns to Jong kook who was purposely averting his gaze. Kyung soo watched the drama unfurl in front of him with a grin, liking it better than the shows his noona crazed over. Jong kook asking out his noona made Kyung soo rejoice internally, glad that his hyung finally grew some spine. He then turns to Ji hyo and mentally face palms because his noona looks stupidly cute. She has this confused, startled, deer in the headlights look and Kyung soo was itching so hard to reach out and close her gaping mouth. Seriously, why is she so confused, how can it not be obvious that Jong kook is asking her out!

 

Idiots! My friends are idiots and they teach for a living! Good gods!

 

“I uh… if Kyung soo refuses and you’re not going to, with the other teachers… I can, uh, go. If that… is okay with you Ji hyo?” Jong kook asks, even twiddling his hands nervously. He looks like he is asking a girl out for the first time in his life and Kyung soo wouldn’t believe it if the PE teacher told him he has never asked a girl out in his whole life (a part of Kyung is afraid Jong kook would actually say he never dated). Or maybe, Kyung soo grins, maybe it’s because Jong kook has probably never asked a woman he loves into a date. The cook makes funny giggling noise but the two teachers were busy being adorable idiots so Kyung just fanboys and ships hard on the sides.

 

The silence was getting awkward. Ji hyo hasn’t answered. Kyung soo is getting fed up. He’s now considering that maybe he really should shackle the two teachers in bed so they’d confess and kiss and he’d never have to hurt his eyes looking at the lovesick idiots pine for each other ever again. “Eherm, noona, it’s a brilliant idea! Go (out) with hyung so the kids will stop (fantasizing). The kids would eat me alive but if it’s hyung, they will never dare oppose and you’d stop getting proposals and weird, I mean, creative invitations from your students!”

 

Ji hyo finally snaps her jaw shut. Jong kook is a lovely shade of red and kyung soo asks the heavens why his friends are lovesick fools. “Okay, you’re right Kyung, I uh… thanks Jong kook. I accept.” Ji hyo turns interestingly red. She looks up at Jong kook and couldn’t help but smile at the man who’s now looking at her too with a matching shy grin.

 

Kyung soo slips away quietly, leaving the two teachers looking at each other lovingly. He quietly wonders if the two would actually realize what they’re doing or would just continue existing in their own world stupidly staring at each other while imaginary hearts pop in the background. It was cute but it’s making his teeth rot and his head is aching with too much adorableness.

 

---/:::::/---

 

The intramural seasons starts at Running Man All Boys School sending the students into a festive frenzy. Café’s, booths and even a carnival occupied a small portion of the fields while the rest was set-up into different sports facilities. Everyone, even the teachers and invited outsiders are in a competitive mood but at night, all of them just enjoy the shows and sights.

 

 The second years easily defeated the first years in their matches. Ji hyo’s kids are fighting the juniors and seniors valiantly but not all games are in favor of them. Jong kook tirelessly coaches games, keeping track of the schedules together with the other coaches and sport enthusiasts. Everyone was having fun, the teachers instantly becoming cheerleaders and yellers for their kids.

 

During a basketball game the second years were losing badly against the seniors, Taemin and Jokwon gave Ji hyo a conservative cheer dancer uniform and she gamely puts it on. The game becomes heated, the crowd doubled in no time cheering for the second years (Ji hyo). With Ji hyo leading the cheers, the sophomores gain an advantage. It was almost comical how dumbfounded the older students were at the big comeback win.

 

From then on, Ji hyo was carted around games where the sophomores are losing. In the spirit of fun and games, Ji hyo let the students pull her around in her special uniform even if she’s a little embarrassed at the gawkers. She’s just wearing black tights and a long sleeved top in her teams color and logo plus an admittedly cute pink skirt around the tights with dusty rubber shoes that has seen better days. It was actually very tame compared to the scraps of clothing the real cheer dancers are wearing but it elicited the loudest hollers and kept the players ignited and competitive for weird reasons.

 

It was during a volleyball game that Jong kook sees the rumored super cheer dancer. His almost misses the chair when he sees Ji hyo waving a pompom in her uniform. He manages not to land on the floor but blushes bright red when he sees Ji hyo skipping towards him. He almost wishes she’d stay away. Jong kook subtly places the score pad in his lap and adds a towel on top too.

 

“Hey, Kim Jong kook!” she greets while Jong kook tried not to look at the outfit hugging Ji hyo’s curves perfectly.

 

“Uh, h-hi. Sit down Ji hyo,” he chokes out the words, praying he wouldn’t need to stand up anytime soon. The female teacher thankfully takes the invitation and sits down on the bench beside Jong kook.

 

“I know… it’s a bit embarrassing but eh, can’t say no to the kids though. Gosh, I feel so ugly!” she jokes, laughing weakly. Now she’s really embarrassed at the expression in Jong kook’s face. He looks constipated, like he wanted to agree that she looks ridiculous but was too polite to tell her so he just looks away. She blushes when she realizes that Jong kook was probably going to the ball with her because of pity.”I uh… wanted to thank you for you know, volunteering to go with me. You didn’t really have to--

 

“You are the cutest cheer leader I’ve seen Ji hyo and I’m the one who’s thankful that you accepted.” he whispers quietly. Ji hyo almost missed it with all the noise around them but there was no mistaking the words -- he thinks she’s cute. She stares at Jong kook disbelievingly then a smile breaks in her face. The PE teacher looks away shyly.

 

“You really look cute Ji hyo-yah,” he repeats then ignores the need to hide behind a score pad and a towel -- he jogs toward the boys who called for a time out. Jong kook stayed near the umpire, strategizing with the substitute players and leaving Ji hyo goofily grinning. Then she was dragged by Jokwon to the small sophomore group screaming their lungs out. Ji hyo joined the cheers and for the first time felt proud of her uniform, cheering now with no trace of self consciousness.

 

Jong kook steals a look, hope and mirth dancing in his eyes as he takes in Ji hyo and her band of cheer dancers. His students notice his wandering eyes and they start to make a ruckus but he effectively glares them to submission. They owned that volley ball game securing the silver medal for the second year team, but to Jong kook, he won more than just a tournament.

 

Maybe he really has a shot at happiness.

 


I hope you enjoy the chapter! I hope it's not too "cute", I know they're adults but I still believe adults are still kid at heart. Thanks for reading :-)