RM-ABS 17

Running Man All Boys School

 

“Uh, Kyung soo?” Jong kook glanced down to the boy’s pinkie and winced. “You’re bleeding. Just letting you know, umm in case you are not aware yet of the pain. And that looks really, really painful.” The PE teacher stood up and got a dish towel which he wrapped around the boy’s finger. All throughout the process, the cook was strangely quiet. It was both disconcerting and depressing because it is Kyung soo. The light and joy of the dorms, literally.

 

“Hey, something’s up. Beside you going home.” An emphasis on the word home made the boy look up with a fake smile pasted on his usually cheerful face. “You don’t look okay at all, you know. Come on Kyung soo, talk. You can’t be more stubborn than me. And talking emotions is your hobby, not mine.” Silence answered Jong kook. Only the sound of knife hitting the chopping board echoed in the still empty mess hall. Kyung soo was up earlier than usual so instead of going on his morning run, Jong kook opted to follow the boy in the kitchen. He couldn’t help his protective instincts over pretty much everyone, especially when it’s his favorite cook looking gloomy and depressed.

 

“You want me to get the menace, bun twins? Or Ji hyo?” he threatened until the chopping rhythmic staccato stopped. It was too quiet.

 

“I talked to Dong wan. I asked if I could take a week off.”

 

“He owes you a year of vacation leave. But he said no, I’m sure the bastard did.”

 

“Not as straight as that hyung. He said yes, but not until someone could fill in my shoes.” Kyung soo looked up sadly. “Who would want to feed sixty boys who consume more than their own weight in food? Not that I want to go home, but you’ve heard stories about my parents. They’ll drag me screaming if they have too and I’ll never be able to step out of their sight again.” He looked even more depressed if that’s even possible and slumped in his seat. “I won’t even be able to see you guys anymore. No more anything but the restaurant hyung.”

 

“We could cover for you.” A female voice said behind the men. They turned around to look at Ji hyo, gaping at the woman. They both rubbed their eyes and whispered to each other: are we still in dreamland?

 

“What dreaming? Boys, are you saying that you think I will burn this place down or feed the kids poison?” she gave them a (cute) pout and her best mock why-did-you-shoot-my-heart-look and pouted some more (cuteness). For the first time in days, Kyung soo laughed.

 

“Noona, we’re more surprised that you’re up at this ungodly hour.”

 

“But it’s almost six Kyung. The sun’s up.”

 

And Jong kook chuckled more at the genuine confusion in Ji hyo’s voice. “He’s quite right though, Ji hyo.” Jong kook piped in and smiled at her gently. “You’re up early. Good morning.”

 

Kyung soo looked back and forth at Ji hyo and Jong kook with disbelief in his face. “I really am not used to this.” The two teachers, creepily at the same time, gave the cook a confused look. “Hey, don’t look at me like that. You two used to snarl and glare, hiss and growl at each other. Not like this.” He pointed back at forth at the two who were now chuckling. “Creepy, hyung, noona. When did you two became humans who are decent with each other? When did this happen? How? Why?”

 

“Hey Kyungie. Stop before you hurt yourself.” Ji hyo laughed and took a sit beside the cook. She snatched a potato and took the knife from Kyung soo then started peeling like a pro. “My mom liked to cook for us but she left when I was too young… so it became my task to make sure dad still get to have a special breakfast  during his birthday, father’s day, their anniversary. I took over mom’s tradition. So I had to learn.” She stopped and no one moved or even breathed. “Boo.” She murmured silently with a laugh. “Well, dad has no qualms eating cereal or sandwich with milk and fruits until I could actually cook. So don’t worry Kyung. I’ll enlist some help. Maybe I’ll borrow my nanny when I was young. She’s a great cook. And you can leave us a menu or schedule for the week. We’d survive and we have phones in case we need to ask something.”

 

“Did you know Dongwan’s scheme beforehand noona? Cause if you didn’t, then you’re scary, because you just planned my whole life for me in seconds.” Kyung soo exclaimed, and then looked at Jong kook with a very regretful and serious expression. “I’m so sorry I won’t be seeing you in my pink frilly apron hyung.” He sighed. “Noona, you got to take a picture. That’s so first priority!”

Ji hyo laughed hard at the image of Jong kook in pink frilly apron, Kyung soo also grinned so hard he looks like a madman. Jong kook stammered and flushed, “I’m not wearing that thing. Especially not in front of the kids!”

 

“Well, the kitchen is an apron and hairnet area. You also have to wear plastic food gloves.” Ji hyo helpfully added, making eye contact with the youngest. “Right hyung! You have to say good bye to that hairstyle you love to death.”

 

Jong kook looked at the two evils and sighed. “I wish you don’t have to leave, Kyung.” The sentiment was returned with a sad smile. “You and me both hyung.”

 

“Hey Kyung soo. Stop feeling like you’re going to your death sentence. Your parents love you even if they don’t understand your choices--"

 

“But Hyung, I told you how I ended up here. Why I ran away… you know my story.”

 

“That’s why you have to tell them. If they don’t listen to you, if they don’t see what a great son their boy is, then remember that you have people who know and will accept you back anytime.” Jong kook glared firmly at the younger one, until Kyung soo nodded with new hope in his eyes.

 

Ji hyo looked fondly at the two. She’s still not used to this surprisingly soft side to Jong kook. And gods, why does the man make her heart twist painfully whenever he alludes even the tiniest bit about his past? Doesn’t he realize how heartbreaking he sounds? How it feels like she’s in front of a young boy, his innocence fighting the weariness and hopelessness of the man he’d become? And no, he is not a bad man… not a terrible person -- he’s someone she’s glad to meet again.

 

“Hey, stop with the bromance before we starve to death. The food’s not gonna cook without us and the kids would be awake soon.” Ji hyo added with a grin, “go wear your apron, Jong kook oppa.”

Ji hyo left to get more potatoes, pretending that Kyung soo is not choking to death and that Jong kook is not beet red and in dire need of oxygen.

 

---/:::::/---

 

Ji hyo looked up from the stack of papers she was grading. She’s starting to regret giving the students a reaction paper task that was strictly at least a page long (Joongki submitted three pages), typewritten in Times New Roman 12. Only half the class took it seriously. The others bulled their way by scouring Google for longer synonyms of everyday words. Others are too unnecessarily detailed (Gwangsoo described the actual process of lifting, putting, adjusting and wearing the crown instead of just saying the king wore the crown). But at least, everyone had something to say, though the hardest part of grading some essays is finding the point to that something.

 

A big smile formed in her lips, her eyes twinkling as she shook her head. At least the boys tried and now, how could she not forgive them anything after the scene that greeted her yesterday evening. Right after she told the boys that the drama coach has given his blessing for their class to use the theater for a week, they rushed to dinner then poof, they’re gone. She really thought they’d gone to rest but during her rounds, it’s suspiciously too quiet. No light pouring out from under the doors… she knocked on the nearest room but no one answered. That’s when Jong kook found her to report that students are missing. Kyung soo, Jong kook and Ji hyo checked all the rooms but found no one. Before she panicked and called the police, Jong kook dragged them away to their quarters. Kyung soo is phoning Inguk but even he didn’t answer.

 

Ji hyo was scared that they got kidnapped but Jong kook laughed at the ‘absurd idea’ because who can kidnap 60 rowdy boys in a jiffy? Well, she couldn’t help but worry and her mind couldn’t be rational when her kids are in trouble or worst, when they are missing without a trace.

 

An hour of debate and arguing ensued with Mr. Muscles (he haven’t lost the skill of annoying her), and consoling Kyung soo until Ji hyo realized what she had just done before dinner. She informed class 2-C that the drama team has allowed them to use the theater for a week as long as they want. The three rushed to the place, only to be greeted with a site that both made them so mad and proud of their young charges.

 

 

The whole batch of second year students was up there. A group was making props, some people are painting huge stage backdrops, and someone’s hauling clouds up the rafters. The main actors are with Gary and Joongki practicing. The 2-C genius is coaching everyone in speaking traditional Hangul. Hoya is making a blocking sequence and choreography with a dozen ‘soldiers’. Other students are sewing costumes. And Inguk is orchestrating and directing everything and everyone beautifully.

 

“Yah!” Ji hyo shouted as she ran towards the group. “You guys know what time is it? Because it is past your curfew and not only are you guys still awake, you’re also not in your rooms where you should be at this second.”  Inguk tried to speak but Ji hyo cut him with a glare. “I should punish you all horribly, because you guys didn’t follow the rule and made me so scared. I understand how you want to make this perfect and I appreciate, hell, I am very touched I’m so tempted to let it slide.” She breathed deeply and made sure everyone is looking at her, giving everyone a scary look. “But you have to learn, I love all of you. I would always understand or at least do my best to do so and all you guys need to do is let me know. Talk to me. Ask me. I promise to listen and do what’s best for everyone with utmost consideration. I worry and gods, I even believed you guys were already kidnapped. I wanted to call the police and release the hounds on your scents, you big idiots.”

 

The students are now looking at everywhere but Ji hyo. She was still breathing hard and very pissed off. Hands on her shoulder made the tension ebb and surprisingly, a guy from class 2-B stepped up. “I envy your students ma’am… I wish you are our adviser but the gang is hell-bent on making this extra special. And we had a chance to be a part of this so we helped… but I know not telling is wrong. But this? It’s not wrong… I think we did the right thing. We’re all sorry for not asking… and ma’am,” the boy looked embarrassed for a moment but when he looked around, his friends are all smiling at him, “I think everyone here, for the first time ever, will gladly accept detention and do it happily.” The boys cheered loudly and this time Inguk was the one who shushed them. “Hey, Principal Dongwan might hear us! But umm, Teacher Song, Teacher Kim, Dorm mother Kyung soo… we really are sorry. But even if we get a year worth of detention every night, we’d still continue to work hard until the play.” Everyone cheered again, more silently but fiercer and with more determination.

 

Eventually, Ji hyo could only smile and she flicked the boys she could reach in the forehead, “you dumb idiots. You could just have asked me and I will arrange time for this. What if Dongwan caught you? He could stop all of this and the school will never see this play. All your efforts would be wasted.”

 

“Well… we could always just perform in class ma’am, even without any audience but you and maybe Teacher Kim and our chef Kyung soo.” Haha answered all the way from the back. Ji hyo couldn’t really see the kid with all the tall guys in front of her.

 

Without missing a beat, Inguk turned around at his classmates and batchmates. “Drop everything and run guys, as silently as possible! Time for bed,” he turned to Ji hyo and waved a good night.

 

“You guys owe me a reaction paper on King Sado’s death. That will be your ticket to enter this room tomorrow at seven after dinner!” and yes, it was weird to hear an enthusiastic ‘yeses’ from the boys. When everyone’s gone, Kyung soo and Jong kook were clapping with a chuckle.

 

 

So here’s Ji hyo grading papers as she watched the school’s second years crammed around the stage. They are almost done and all that’s left is the show itself. Tomorrow, people would see her boys’ brilliance and the whole batch’s efforts. She already called, emailed and messaged all of class 2-C’s parents to watch the show. She also personally produced posters and tacked them on bulletin boards all over the school. Kyung soo was planning an elaborate meal for after the show beside her and Jong kook is reading a book on her right. And now she couldn’t wait to watch.

 

Perfectly happy and content, she went back on grading papers. If she’s leaning towards Jong kook, and their sides are touching a bit too much -- well, it’s not her fault that the man’s bulging muscles are invading her personal space. Besides, who’d say no to extra warmth in a cold auditorium?

 


I hope you guys enjoy the update… I didn’t plan on sending Kyung away. I love him too much for that but hey, Jong kook and Ji hyo in the kitchen, wearing frilly aprons… I think Kyung’s sacrifice is worth it. I hope you guys enjoy the chappie even if it’s short (I had a life and went shopping last Saturday. My friend decided I needed someone to carry the bags, his name is Gary. He’s very simple and naïve. If you guys only knew… you’d wonder why I am still alive after all the stress he’s given me. And NO I am not dating him… I don’t do that stuff. He wants to read my works but he doesn’t like English so imagine my grief when I have to explain just everything including my fangirl life, but he’s a good friend anyway… sorry for the rant. I have no one to talk to about stuff these days).