RM-ABS 20

Running Man All Boys School

A/N: Double update because I love writing and I"m very thankful that people still read this Fic despite the veeery long hiatus. Thank you guys and advance Happy New Year! ^o^


“What do you think then?” Mr. Cheon asks again, nudging Ji hyo lightly. She slows further then stopped walking entirely to stare at her father with an adorable ‘what?!’ expression in her face. Oh, how she reminds him of her kindergarten years when she refused to be waited out at school. How she laid down the ‘I’m-a-big-girl-already’ argument because she didn’t want him to waste his time in something she could handle.

 

At first he thought she hated being treated like a kid but when he asked his little girl why, she said in that tiny brave voice, “Mama’s not here anymore Pa. You got a lot to do. I can do school part, okay. And you do adult stuff.” Then she smiled so sweetly, so full of love and so much like his fair Seu Yeon that his shattered heart begun to heal a little for his little girl. Then he just felt so alive, in pain, but alive and with a new purpose.

 

He remembers dropping to his knees and crying unto her without a shame… hugging the little body close with a silent promise to love dearly, protect and cherish their little girl. His little princess. He could remember those little arms trying to hug him back. She was so little, so helpless but she was stronger than him. She starts to cry and he cries with her. “Ma said, Pa, she said we should be happy. I’m sad but I promised Ma. I miss her but I promised.” She hiccupped into his clothes. He could only nod, and then she squirmed away and held out her little pinkie.

 

“I promised Ma. You should promise Mama too.” her little eyes were so full of determination and courage. Why did his little girl have to grow up so fast? He quickly wiped the tears away and fastened his own pinkie around Ji hyo’s. “I love you and your mom, little girl. I miss her so much but I am very happy because you are my daughter and you’re here with me. I promise, we’d be happy, we’ll be okay.” She beamed up at him and for the first time since she died, he actually believed that it would be fine.

 

“Why Pa?” she answers, bringing him back from the memories of the past. “Ah, there’s a lot of reason, actually.” He pretended to think very hard, acting like an old forgetful man. It never failed to make Ji hyo laugh and this time was no exception. “First, I miss you Ji hyo and I discovered that I can’t stand not seeing you for months. Second, sulking at home is not healthy for an old man like me. Third, I intend to strengthen the group by being more visible -- what better place to start than here since RM ranked last in terms of improvement? Finally, I, feel bad for neglecting the place. Your Ma would be very cross with me if I continue this.”

 

“Wow this is going to be weird in a good way Pa. You know that I love you and you’re awesome right?”

“Of course, that’s why I let you off lightly in anything and I spoil you rotten.”

 

“But I’m really happy to hear the last reason… Ma loved this place and it used to be really pretty. Full of flowers, I remember. And it felt… like Ma.” Ji hyo added wistfully. “And it was our own secret paradise.”

 

The older Cheon nodded and gestured towards the old brick path to the greenhouse and forestry. “When you were young and you made me promise, do you remember that? You were barely six… we just lost your mom and things weren’t so good.” He glanced at Ji hyo who nodded. “I promised we’d be happy. We are, we did turn out okay… but it feels--”

 

“Incomplete.” Ji hyo finishes for him.

 

“Right… the two of us tried so hard to be okay, but time flied and she’s beginning to exist only as a memory when she had left not just you as a physical reminder…”

 

“We need to make this school alive again. To make her more physical, something you can see, feel…” Ji hyo nodded and her father could almost see gears in her head turning. Her eyes brightened, plans shining in those orbs, her smile widened. Sang Gu was thankful everyday at Seu Yeon for giving him Seung Im because he couldn’t imagine how he’d survive losing his love and soul mate if he had been alone.

 

“Ji hyo-yah, you’re not thinking of dragging me all over to plant seeds right? My knees aren’t quite as they used to be and besides, I am very worried if they will grow right because, you know that you’re my wonderful daughter and I love you so much. But you’re banned from gardening.” He teased, laughing at the face Ji hyo made.

 

“The botanical guy could help Pa. I could… recall how it looked. You knew Ma’s favorites. We can do it, bring it back and maybe make it better. I can even organize a tree planting activity! Dong wan would love that--” The older man pulled Ji hyo into a side hug and started walking again. The two Cheons’ gazes were on the old path and gardens, looking at it and seeing one woman smiling at them. The flowers bloomed beautifully around her. The trees danced with the wind. When they thought that memories would still hurt and haunt them, it has instead, brought them closer. After a long time, it feels like their family is whole again.

 

--/:::::/--

 

“Noona, you forgot to mention that your dad is the Chairman. You. Own. The. School! Are you a spy? Did I pass some sort of test?!” Kyung soo mouthed as loudly as he could in ridiculous whispers as he refilled the steam bun basket. The young cook looked over at Jong kook who’s happily refilling vegetables (after forcing students to empty the dishes) in the far end of the buffet table, his eyes growing wider at a realization. “Hyung knew!” he pouted and focused on the buns, ignoring Ji hyo’s apologies.

 

“Hey, Kyung…  I’m sorry… I just don’t really think about Pa being the Chairman or this school being ours. Please don’t be mad?”

 

“Hyung knew and I thought we were closer.”

“But Kyungie, we are closer. I would have said something soon, please forgive me?”

 

Kyung soo grabbed the baskets and went to the kitchen with Ji hyo hot on his trail. He turned around to face his friend and his entire demeanor shifted. His shoulders slumped as if life just gave up on him. “I’m just stressed… I think. I’m nervous and this really caught me off guard, noona but I am not mad. I can’t be ever mad at you… I just feel like we’ve known each other for a long time and I feel so comfortable with you then suddenly I am reminded that we’ve known each other for about four months. It’s unsettling.”

 

“Oh… that’s right. But you know that you’re a good friend of mine, Kyung. And I wish I could do something about your parents… I couldn’t think of anything but please promise me Kyung,” Ji hyo looked the boy squarely in the eyes and grabbed his hand into hers. “Promise me that if you thought of something that I could do to help, you’d let me know. Okay?” Kyung soo nodded but he’s still out of it that Ji hyo couldn’t feel any relief at all. She pulled him into a tight hug instead and wished him good luck.

 

A head appeared in the door way, peeking at them with a scowl. “Hey, the kids decided to level up the party… are you girls done crying out your heart?” Jong kook said, breaking into a grin as he did confusing Ji hyo because during the thing with her Pa, he wouldn’t even look at her. And now here he is shaking his head, muttering about crybabies as he pulled them out of the room.

 

Outside in the mess hall, the parents have gone. Even her father was nowhere on sight. All the chairs and tables were pushed to the sides. A group of students are setting up speakers and Inguk is approaching her with nervous determination.

 

“Teacher Song, Teacher Kim, Kyung soo sir, can we use our free time for uhh, some dancing? We promise to clean up and go to bed before curfew… I couldn’t really say no to my schoolmates.” Inguk stood up straight and pleaded with his eyes. The three exchanged looks. As usual, Jong kook was scowling and was giving off an aura that one would associate with detention. Kyung soo looked like he was on the verge of saying yes but kept quiet instead. Ji hyo would love to say yes but Dongwan might--

 

“Well, why don’t you kids get started instead of wasting your time? As a reward for the wonderful show, go on and enjoy yourselves with a little dance party.” A voice echoed from behind the three dorm leaders. Ji hyo looked behind her and squealed girlishly at her father. “But Pa… the principal?” Mr. Cheon winked at Ji hyo and he has this ‘I-got-it’ trademark expression as he pulled her towards the dance floor. Students piled up soon after them and the mess hall exploded in music and laughter.

 

“Hyung…” Kyung soo looked forlornly at the writhing bodies. They look so happy and he is feeling jealous all of a sudden. “Jong kook hyung?” he pleads.

“No.

“Come on hyung… I know it’s your dream to be a bouncer -- aw! Okay! I’m zipping my mouth now hyung!” But of course, Kyung soo could still quietly annoy the older man (poke attack!), smirking when his gaze dropped to Jong kook’s foot thumping along the music. After the famous Gangnam Song, the DJ of the night Gary and Haha played a favorite classic, Loveable.

 

“Hyung! Hey your theme song!” Kyung soo pulled the older man with gritted teeth, gesturing behind him and soon, the Minmin duo was helping. Chanting steam buns under their breaths. At a corner, Ji hyo watched in fascination while she danced adorably with Joongki and Gwangsoo. The three having some sort of stiffest/most-awkward dancing competition. Hoya was leading the dance floor with Inguk hollering in the sides. Kyung soo pulled Kris and Tao behind Jong kook. Then everyone was chanting Jong kook’s name.

 

“Saem! Come on!”

 

Jong kook-saem! Jong kook-saem!

Jong kook-saem! Jong kook-saem!

 

“Come on hyung! Are you afraid that you’d be no match--”

 

Kyung soo was suddenly pulled in the middle just as the chorus started. Haha jumped into the dance floor in excitement while Gary did a remix of Black Cat and Loveable. Jong kook, for a while, was allowed to forget that he is a teacher and just enjoy the moment with everyone.

 

A loud explosion of cheers erupted as the PE teacher gave his all with the familiar music. He kicked, jumped, shook and swayed to the music, turning to point a challenge to the other students lead by Hoya. The kids gamely took upon the challenge but no one won because everyone just pushed and danced along until you couldn’t tell anymore who’s beside you with all the energy and movements in the impromptu dance floor.

 

After the ‘dance battle’, the DJ chose something slower to allow everyone some respite. Jong kook froze at the familiar melody and tried to escape before the first lyric hits.

 

It must’ve been a long time,
Long enough for these words to become colorless…
Even if I just see your eyes,.
I know, like your friend, like your shadow

 

There’s a man…
…Who can’t even say…
By your side I put my hand out…
at a path were you can always reach me
I, who cherishes...

 

To make you laugh, I think of only that and
When and where ever you are I’m watching you and…
And who worries…


 

But he was too slow and turning around he was just in time to catch a woman stumbling in his arms. In the distance someone hollered: “Grab the nearest person and dance!” Around them Kyung soo held the two Mins into a funny slow dance. Hoya and Inguk partnered but a person could still pass between them so someone remedied that by accidentally stumbling. Yunho and Jae was the opposite, their bodies so close you couldn’t tell anymore where one ends and the other begins. Even the DJs are swaying. Joongki and Gwangsoo were laughing silently and it seems that the little genius is teaching the tall kid how to dance. Myung soo also found a partner… but he stopped taking note of who was dancing with who when his brain shorted by a hand in his own.

 

“I don’t have a partner yet…” Ji hyo whispers and it’s so unfair because at that moment, he couldn’t say no, couldn’t run away and he wanted. He wanted to say yes but nothing came out of his throat. But it seemed words weren’t really needed. He placed a hand on her waist where it is considered respectfully conservative and then she just slid so perfectly in his space, slotting perfectly in his life.

 

So fitting like that’s where she belonged and that the rest didn’t matter anymore. Because he couldn’t think. Just feel. Cataloguing the smell of her -- a well worn history book, wild flowers, petrichor, warm and cozy, something sweet like vanilla ice cream and a surprising dash of grapey wine -- the softness of her hand, that little shy, smile directed at him, full lips, long lashes… perfect little nose. Brown intelligent orbs but so kind and innocent in a way… his little princess. She had always been his little princess. And oh she’s grown very, very beautifully. No more a child but a woman -- Jong kook swallowed hard -- a very attractive woman.

 

And how he wished it would never end. That they could just exist without words but still understand. Perfectly contented just to be near each other and need nothing else because with each other… they are already complete.

 

But then the music stopped. She said thanks and he must have said that too because she was already leaving. And Jong kook could only chase her with his eyes. He could only stand there on solid ground feels like it’s not. Because an abyss has just opened and in which he has just willingly jumped into -- and now he’s falling so fast he couldn’t breathe.

 

--/:::::/--

 

After a very tiring three hours of dancing and drinking juice that Jong kook regularly checked to make sure no one had spiked it with anything alcoholic in nature, Ji hyo found herself sitting down the breakfast bar at the roof top. With Jong kook and Kyung soo as company since her Pa already retired to his new quarters an hour into the party and Inguk opting to sleep over with his classmates.

 

Kyung soo yawned absently and stretched, “I need to sleep hyung, noona. I’ll travel out before dawn.” The two teachers both got up to give their youngest a hug. “Just call if ever Kyungie.” She whispered, giving him a chaste kiss on the cheek. Jong kook patted him fiercely at the back, a look passing over the two men and at that moment, Ji hyo realized, life would never be the same again without this two. Her best friend Kyung… and her confusing but also important friend, Jong kook-oppa.

 

 

“Why are you looking at me like that Ji hyo?” Jong kook asked after ten minutes of awkwardly sitting in the silence. Ji hyo shook her head and threw back a question at the other teacher. “Why are you not yet sleeping?” all she got for an answer was a shrug.

 

“Are we gonna ask all night but never answer a thing?” she asked with a chuckle. Jong kook shrugged again. He stood up and Ji hyo thought that she have finally manage to scare away her only other friend. But Jong kook returned after five minutes with a friend Ji hyo’s very familiar with. A bottle of soju. “Are we drinking? Then are you gonna put me in detention?” she laughed as he grimaced as if she’d said a naughty joke and it was then decided that she likes teasing him.

 

“Nope, we’re gonna stare at it all night. Sounds like your kind of fun.” He deadpans. And Ji hyo couldn’t help it and calls him a tease. She grabs a shot glass, giving Jong kook a look that shut him up before he could ask why they have that in the kitchen and some ice from the fridge. She opened the drink and poured some, nudging the first shot towards Jong kook. “Drink up, oppa.” She smirked when Jong kook visibly flinched but he took it in one go.

 

“I was surprised that your dad was here.” He stated but Ji hyo could hear the question in those words. She now looked at the man and stared hard. “Why are we drinking oppa?” she asked, wondering about the words exchanged between her and her Pa earlier, about how some people doesn’t like to be reminded of the past. She ached to ask, not to intrude but to know if he is fine, if it’s okay that she’s there even if she’s a reminder and tell him that he could talk to her if he needs to. But then, Kyung soo was also right. It’s been only four months even if it feels like it’s been four years, or rather, even if it feels like a whole lifetime since she was a kid and he was still her prince oppa.

 

“Drink up Ji hyo.” He mimics her and returns a shot, then they continued staring in silence. The bottle soon emptied with the two just pouring each other shots and tipping it in one quick go. Her Pa disapproves mightily, but Ji hyo had plenty of practice holding up her liquid. She started early with wine and cocktails during parties and events. She needed it to be able to be brave enough to support her Pa.

 

If she had her way, she’d rather really just stay inside away from the crowd. She didn’t want to talk business or politics with men treating her opinions like a child’s. She didn’t want to mingle with wives and their daughters who only talks about the latest fashion and who’s dating who in the elite circle. She liked the dresses and how her Pa dances with her at least twice in the evening and how they compete for the most boring and nonsense stuff they’d heard that night. How she knows her Pa also hated every moment but would look like he was where he loved to be and that he’s genuinely enjoying the moment when he’s with her.

 

“I hated it too. The stuffy tuxedos, the matrons pinching my cheek as if I am unable to feel it. And the cloudy poisonous perfumes! I swear it’s almost like a green cloud was surrounding them and the smell of cigar and pipes makes it worse.” Jong kook exclaimed making Ji hyo realize that she said everything about the events aloud. “And in mine, no one was there… to make it okay.” He adds silently.

 

“Then you should come with me next time.” She blurts out without thinking. He smiles anyway so it was okay.

 

“Myungsoo did great today.” He starts then stops, swirling his drink slowly. Another bottle appeared and they continued to drink silently. Ji hyo giving Jong kook space and Jong kook just enjoying the silence as he tried to calm the chaos inside him. Good thing it was weekends tomorrow and everyone is allowed to sleep in a bit more and besides, breakfast is covered after Kyung soo baked a whole week’s worth of food.

 

“He did look happier and the kid could sing and break so many hearts with that angsty stare of his.”

 

“Right. He did that with me too you know, oh god he looked at me and I…” Jong kook stared at Ji hyo with shocked resignation in his eyes, as if he did something terrible. With a sigh he continued to mumble shyly, “but you know… you really don’t have to list --”

 

“Shut up and continue. I know Kyung soo is hiding three more bottles somewhere and this is better than staring at the toaster.”

 

Jong kook looked at her with gratefulness. He slowly twirled the liquid in his glass and wondered where to start, all he knew is that he wanted to talk, wanted so much to make Ji hyo understand why or maybe, he just wants someone to listen, to care enough to listen and maybe he wants someone who would tell him what he needed to hear.

 

“Oppa, just talk… for no reason. Everyone does it. People just don’t talk to ease off their burdens, some even makes it a hobby.” And that voice didn’t judge as if all and everything is just normal. Sadly, Jong kook just doesn’t understand that it is indeed normal between friends because it’s been so long since he’d allowed anyone close enough for those kind of things.

 

“Well… I-I thought it was… y-you know,” he stuttered. Ji hyo raised a drink with a nod of encouragement and Jong kook felt a little braver at the gesture.  

 

“I-I thought it’s okay to just say sorry and thank you and then leave it like that… but I was so curious and the guilt.

“Whenever I look at Myungsoo I wonder what happened to Cheol ji. I think of stuff, I think Myungsoo also deserved to ask anything of me. That I’m really selfish but I, maybe I could tell Myungsoo my side. Not to defend myself… not for anything else but I-- I wanted to tell him that I’m not such a bad person but I didn’t know where it went wrong, that I didn’t ever want that to happen Ji hyo-yah.” He looked down at the clear liquid in his glass, it was shaking and he thought maybe there’s an earthquake, not that he cared, until he realized that he was the one shaking. His knuckles were death white as he gripped the shot glass hard.

 


I just want to point out that there is an explanation for the broken lyrics of 'One Man' in this story... Jong kook just couldn't and don't want to acknowledge YET the whole song. But he admits some parts of the lyrics to be true and he still believes it's just a friend thing even if a little bit too fierce and strong. Thanks for reading!