RM-ABS

Running Man All Boys School

The mall was crowded that day since it was the weekends. Jong kook felt Ji hyo inch closer to him, feeling tension radiate from her. He casually slowed down to let her walk beside him then he smiled at her, which confused Ji hyo.

 

"Hey Miss Song..." he casually draped his arms around her shoulders to pull her closer to him. She looked at him as if she was about to throw him to the floor again with her Judo stuff but he put his weight on her to steady her. "Don't move." he warned her.

 

"Just what do you think you’re doing Mr. Kim?" she said, trying to push him away but Jong kook only tightened his hold and not wanting to attract attention like the last time in the dorms, she had no choice but to let him. She stopped struggling but she still glared at awkward-muscles. 

 

"Good, now listen to me,"

 

She didn't want to listen, in fact, it was because she couldn’t. Ji hyo could only think of his body pressed to her and how she fit so nicely beside him. How that firm, warm built of him completely engulfed her small form. She was not a small or petite woman being tall for her height, but beside him she was, as much as she hated to use the term, she was a little princess.

 

"Yah, are you even listening Miss?"

 

She looked up to him and their eyes met, then she saw something in those little brown orbs. She hoped it wasn’t true but it seemed she finally knew why he kept on being around, why he kept on being in charge. There was a sudden movement and he looked away before she could name that something.

 

"I said, Miss Song... this is our chance to catch the culprit."

 

They continued to mingle with the other weekend shoppers until they were in a secluded corner. "We lure him."

 

"In here? As if he'd come running --" then Ji hyo followed Jong kook's gaze and he smiled when he saw that it finally dawned on her. "So this was your plan huh?" she said eyeing the CCTV camera behind them.

 

Jong kook nodded and grinned, but Ji hyo couldn't understand why the feeling of elation was suddenly replaced by the strong urge to wipe off the smug look on Jong kook's face.

 

"Miss Song breathe." he whispered.

 

Why the hell is he whispering!

 

Ji hyo cleared but it was parched and it was a challenge to breathe because everytime she does, she could inhale his manly scent that was making her knees weak. She just felt too crammed up and everytime he speaks, his hot, minty breath fans her face. She hated how it made her tummy feel funny, or how it sent shivers through her. She should hate it, right? But oddly, she didn’t but she didn’t like it either, actually she didn’t know.

 

Ji hyo sighed, confused and wishing she had never tried to go to Running Man School or that she never tried to fulfill her promise.

 

"Why are you too close? This was a brilliant plan but why do you have to be this way?" she asked, but her voice was actually pleading, as if all she wanted was to be away from him...

 

Jong kook felt as if she was indirectly questioning his existence, but would she understand if he tells her the real reason? It doesn’t even make sense and it would only hurt her more. He didn’t know that his four-year-old princess would even remember.

 

"To make him come closer. To make sure we get a clear shot... I'm sure he saw us and he'd scramble to get a good shot. We pretend we are so busy with each other so he’d feel safe to come out." Jong kook explained, and then he stepped closer to her, planting his palms flat on the wall behind her before leaning even closer.

 

Ji hyo had to fight the urge to close her eyes and rest her head on those broad shoulders. She had to remind herself over and over again to breath. She hated it so much that she felt so weak in front of him.

 

Jong kook sighed, angling his head closer to hers so she wouldn’t see his face. He shouldn’t have come back. He should’ve just let her continue thinking he was just a prince from her dreams, but he hasn’t forgotten either. Now it was too late. "With all the people behind us – he'd need to get closer for a better view." he said, dismissing any further thoughts about the past.

 

I’m sorry I can’t tell you my princess. I just didn’t want to destroy your fantasies.

 

Ji hyo woke up from her confusion, hating why she was in that position. He remembers, he knew and he was pretending he didn’t. One moment he’d be gentle, like the prince she knew, but the truth was that he was just a jerk. A fairytale that didn’t really exist.

 

She wanted to push him away but she stayed still, if the plan works, she wouldn’t have any reason to talk to him again. Ji hyo said coldly, "so this was your plan... how devious. You could have told me but you always do things your way."

 

He flinched knowing well that she hated him, but that was better. He was just Kim Jong kook and she’s Chun Seung Im… they grew up and in this world, fairytales doesn’t exist anymore.

 

 "It wasn’t really why I brought you here, but while we were driving I saw the CCTV in the car park, then I remembered what you told me about technology."

 

"Then how did you know to bring me here?" she shot back, still doubtful but she hated the fact he wasn't too arrogant about the plan. Or how his little eyes shined eagerly as he explained his little strategy.

 

Stop it Ji hyo he’s just a jerk. You're no more the four-year-old princess... and he’s never a prince.

 

To Jong kook she looked so sad and he wished he could just tell her. Would it really be wise to admit the past? "Let's just say I wasn't idling while you shop princess."

 

That's it. He said it. Didn’t she want that? To acknowledge the past. He knew why she was in Running Man School. She never forgot him and that name, Song Ji Hyo, she was still using it… but he doesn’t know how to even start telling her why he didn’t fulfill his promise or why he hid the true him. He just could not hold it anymore. He was tired of pretending and hiding. They both knew anyway. 

 

Ji hyo froze and looked straight to Jong kook's eye, wondering what kind of game he was playing. He pretended not to know her. She discovered who he was but he didn’t say a thing, even pretending it didn’t happen.

 

She was prepared to think it was just some childish thing out of a happy fairytale. She didn’t expect anything, suspecting that she wouldn’t want to know his reasons, but now...

 

What did she even want? Why did she even retain that stupid pet name? Why did she thought that he took their game seriously when they were just kids?

 

After what felt like an eternity, Jong kook released her.

 

Ji hyo was still staring at him.

 

"I'm sorry." he held out his hand towards her.

 

 

The scrawny older boy held out his hand to the little girl in a frilly pink dress, he pulled her up to her feet rather roughly. He wasn’t any bigger than she was.

 

"Who are you?” she asked him, but he only smiled. "Who are you?”

 

The boy didn't reply but he kneeled down in front of her and dusted her dress. He reminded Seung Im of the stories her mom tells her. "You look like a princess, a pretty little princess." he said, and then he touched her foot making her wince.

 

“Does it hurt?”

 

 The little girl nodded. “I’ll touch it again. It will hurt but it would feel better after.” Seung Im nodded again.

 

She winced, her face teary as the boy massaged her foot. She wondered how he did it but it did felt a little bit better. She wasn’t aware of it but for the first time, she learned to trust.

 

“Gomawo.” She stared at him when he smiled. His eyes were gone, replaced by pretty arches, like the moon. She thought it was amazing. “Why did you help me?”

 

The little boy shrugged but he girl wouldn’t stop staring. He said what came to his mind first. "You are my princess." he whispered then he fixed her shoes and offered his back to her. She refused. 

 

"I can walk. I don't mingle with strangers."

 

He laughed, and his eyes disappeared again. "But my princess am I not your prince?"

 

The little girl still hesitated. She tried to walk but her foot hurt. “Are you really my prince?” He nodded.

 

Seung Im hopped on his back.

 

 

~~~

 

 

Ji hyo felt so tired to even think. After all the adventures and frustrations she experienced she just wanted to forget about Jong kook and bury herself on her bed.

 

The car was very silent as they drove to Running Man School. The photos from the CCTV tapes lay on the dashboard and Ji hyo still couldn’t believe whom they saw. He was a familiar face, very familiar and she knows his name.

 

Jong kook could feel how hard it was for Ji hyo. He wanted to take care of it since he was the real reason why her student did those things. If not for the past… if only it didn’t happen.

 

Jong kook thought it only happens in dramas, who would have thought it could be true?

 

“What’s your plan now?” he asked, breaking the silence. Ji hyo didn’t answer but he could feel her glaring at him.

 

Her voice was full of accusation when she spoke, it was clear that she didn’t want her student to be expelled. “What happened? Why would Myung soo do this to you? He’s a good kid.”

 

It took him some time before he was able to answer. Should he tell her the truth? He knew it will make her hate him but why would it even matter… she already does anyway. Maybe it was even better so she could finally forget about him. “Do you really want to know?”

 

“Would you tell me?”

 

He nodded. “But you might want to transfer after it… I can’t leave that place, I have nowhere to go.”

 

Ji hyo was really mad at him because she knew he was hiding something but somehow his voice sounded sad, burdened. And it was almost as if he was tied to that place, the same way she was also bound. “I couldn’t just go away too.” she said.

 

“Forget about the promise.”

 

Ji hyo felt the urge to punch Jong kook right there. Did he really think all she dreamed about was that childhood fantasy? “Yah, there are other reasons why Running Man is special to me. Don’t talk as if you knew everything.”

 

It became silent again and Ji hyo wished they’d hurry up because she couldn’t bear being with him anymore.

 

“She was a quiet student… Cheol Ji. She was in my class…” he started and Ji hyo felt cold, why did she have this feeling that she’d regret hearing this later?

 

“She doesn’t really pay attention much but she was a good kid and strong like a female warrior. I was in a former girl’s school so there were a bit of teasing… the female students liked me and the males hated me. One day Cheol Ji was caught cheating and I called her to the office… she said it was a set-up. I pitied her but I couldn’t just let go of it. I was a newbie and I didn’t really know what to do” he stopped for a while as they turned to a corner.

 

Ji hyo realized it was why he was strict with her and why he always looked at her as if he was waiting for her to do something wrong. The truth was he was just worried… or maybe she was imagining it.

 

“She begged me to give her a chance and not to pass her to other teachers. I gave her a different test… I heard about her parents and I know her situation at home was difficult. But then rumors started, that I…” he sighed, clenching the steering wheels tight. Ji hyo unknowingly touched his hand and he relaxed. She was a teacher too and even if he was a jerk, she could feel that he loves being in school.  

 

“Thanks… to make the story short, the students gossiped about us, they said that I was lenient to the cheater because she seduced me. She came to me again crying… she said her parents will kill her and I made a mistake.”

 

 

Jong kook returned the book to the shelf and he turned to the computer to shut it down. He grabbed his bag and prepared to go home. The faculty was already deserted and he looked for the keys to lock the place.

 

He felt something move and he almost jumped when he saw Cheol Ji standing behind him.

 

“Sunseng-nim, I need to ask you something.” she said, her gaze downcast. She was fiddling with her fingers and even Jong kook felt nervous.

 

“What is it Ms. Kim?”

 

She hesitated and he waited, leaning on the table awkwardly. “Sunseng-nim… please help me.” she pleaded and the older one pitied her. She was not too smart but she was kind. Someone framed her but there was no evidence so he couldn’t help her.

 

“What do you want to do?” She only looked at him with pleading and teary eyes. He blinked in surprise, realizing what she wanted.

 

He couldn’t do that. He can’t admit to something like that for her. “Ms. Yoon, tell me, what should we do.”

 

“Please. I don’t know too.”

 

“But… what you are asking.” It was something that would destroy him. At that moment, he feared her. He feared what power she has over him. He can’t tell the principal because he pitied her and he knew it would destroy her. He couldn’t help her either. He was trapped and she wanted him to take all the blame.

 

“I’m sorry… I’m sorry.” she said repeatedly, crying. He patted her back, not knowing what to do. “I’m sorry… I really liked you Seng, I’m sorry.”

 

He thought she was sorry for making the situation hard for them but it was actually for another thing.

 

Cheol Ji looked at him her eyes clouded with pain and regret… and determination. Before he could realize why, was on his and she seemed like she was falling, pulling him down with her.

 

They landed on the faculty floor with a loud crash and he was too stupefied to act fast. He heard the door open. Cheol Ji was crying under him.

 

There were shouts. He thought she wanted him to admit the rumors that he likes her so she’d be free, that people would forget about her cheating and she’d even be famous. But he was wrong.

 

He was accused of . Cheol Ji used him but he knew she didn't have a choice, he was prepared to take the blame anyway.

 

 

“We settled it… some cash, she pretended she wanted it to be quiet, but no one believed me. They all thought I was… that I am…”

 

Ji hyo fell silent. She didn’t know what to say but one thing she was sure of was that she was mad. She was mad at that girl who did that.

 

No wonder Kyung soo said Jong kook hated women. She realized he hated her too because she was like that woman. Her heart softened and she was already willing to forget how much he irked her. Now she wanted to ask him about them, why he didn’t come. Like that situation with his first job, she wondered, what if he also had a big reason to forget about her?

 

The gates of Running Man School loomed into view. At that time, Ji hyo forgot about Myung soo or the scandal. She reached out to him, gently patting his arm.

 

 

“I believe you,” she whispered. 

 


Thanks for reading ^_^