RM-Abs 30

Running Man All Boys School

Jong kook scrunched up his nose at the email he just read. It was just an invitation to dinner but what made it strange was the sender. He debated internally for a few seconds before deciding to confirm his attendance.

 

 

Ji hyo and Kyung soo were wrapping sandwiches at the living room while watching Ji hyo’s favorite show. They looked entranced and the simple domesticity was almost painful to watch. How Jong kook wished he could join. He knows he’s welcome to, but he just doesn’t have the courage to. With a sigh, he sneaked off to attend the dinner invitation.

 

Kyung soo turned around just in time to catch Jong kook running down the stairs. He worries for both his friends but decided to let his hyung be. He just hopes that he doesn’t have to witness more stupidity before his friends realize how much they’ve fallen for each other. He’d always liked to think they’re both smart enough to realize it before he gets fed up and does something about it. But the two were idiots.

 

Maybe Kyung soo should shackle them together in bed. The thought made him do evil giggling sounds. Ji hyo just looked at him like he’s gone insane. Kyung soo’s smile just got bigger and no amount of coaxing from Ji hyo made him talk. Soon after, the two friends got distracted by an unexpected twist in the drama. Ji hyo forgot to ask all the important questions and turned her attention back into the tube.

 

---/:::::/---

 

Jong kook sighed but steeled himself not to back out. He touched the piece of paper he wrote earlier feeling the light material and wondering how it could feel so heavy; like his world depended on it. Before he could change his mind, the doors opened and a beautiful woman smiled at him.

 

“Good evening Mr. Kim. Chairman is waiting for you inside.” she says, automatically guiding Jong kook towards the rear. The older Cheon chose to dine in the nearest restaurant from school. It was suspiciously empty but he knew better than to ask. Jong kook was led all the way to the back were the Chairman is having tea.

 

Jong kook sat down opposite the older man and waited to be spoken to. Cheon Sanggu did not acknowledge his presence right away and continued sipping his tea quietly. Cheon was looking outside observing the small but neat garden where the restaurant owners grow produce. Finally after a few minutes, the tea was emptied and taken away. As soon as the server was out of hearing range, Sanggu regarded the PE teacher intensely.

 

“I think, young man, that you know why I invited you here.”

 

“I am not sure, sir. Unless this is regarding your request from before that I help Ms. Song get acclimated in the school. She is doing fine and everyone lo-- likes her.” Jong kook breaks from the intense gaze of the chairman and curses himself for speaking too much. The continuing silence only broke when the Chairman laughed softly.

 

“I invited you to dinner Jong kook not to chastise you or torment you. I ordered the house special, if that is fine with you.”

 

“Anything with their organic vegetables is sumptuous. It’s just so hard to make Ji hyo like the greens.”

 

“Ah, yeah, that child has always loved her meat too much.” the older man replies. Before long, Jong kook found himself relaxing. He never admitted it to anyone before. As a child he has always found the Chairman to be intimidating but he has also enjoyed the old man’s company whenever he visits his playmate. He also remembers the chairman’s wife and he was truly sorry that she’s gone too soon.

 

The dinner passed quietly. The two men exchanged stories of Ji hyo and reluctantly, Jong kook found himself telling bits and pieces of his most fond memories of her as a child. Sanggu gave him a knowing smile that the teacher didn’t notice.

 

Chairman took out a cigarette and offered it to Jong kook. “Don’t tell my daughter.” he jokes. Then the two steps out for a smoke. It was a bit chilly but the air was fresh. Jong kook humors Sanggu and lights the stick. He inhales loudly but manages not to choke. Sanggu laughs at him, patting him manfully in the back. “Jong kook-ah, I’ve known you since you were a child. I’ve seen Ji hyo around you and I know you took care of her. For that I thank you.”

 

“Chairman Cheon I-I--”

 

“My boy, I’m an old man now and I only have Ji hyo left so I manned up and decided to talk to you. I just want her to be happy. I’ve seen how you cared for your friend when you were young. I know… life wasn’t easy, your dad and your grandfather, I know it had been hard. Not all fathers are cool like me after all…

“And when you came to Running Man High after that incident with your student I was wary. I understood why you left -- you were a kid. You couldn’t help it… but I’ve never seen my daughter so sad. Just like when her mother died. So forgive me that I wasn’t as welcoming when you returned. You didn’t look for her so I kept it quiet too.

“And that was why I didn’t want her to come here at Running Man. I wasn’t sure you want anything to do with her and knowing my dear child, she will know who you are and latch at you once again. But you aren’t kids anymore. I just don’t want her to be hurt.” Sanggu sighed, and faced Jong kook, “Do you love my daughter, Seung Im, huh Jong kook?”

 

Jong kook swallowed hard, his mind racing to spout excuses. To promise the chairman that he will never be a problem, that he couldn’t hurt Ji hyo because he’s not worthy of her, that they are just friends. His hand reached for the resignation letter in his pocket but it was too heavy to pull out.

 

“I love her.” his heart says loudly and before he could realize that he has said it aloud, a wave of peace passed over him. He couldn’t look at the older Cheon but it felt so right to admit it. He was a fool to think he could run away from the truth. Maybe he couldn’t escape but he also knows that Ji hyo won’t be his, whatever he does. What kind of father would want a man accused of and has a history of running away as his son-in-law? At least he could be brave even for a little while.

 

“I have feelings for your daughter Chairman but don’t worry. I will not become a problem… Yes, I love Cheon Seung Im, my princess… and I-I will be already contended to stay beside her as her friend. Please… I will not become a problem sir, I promise--” just don’t make me leave my home.

 

“Hush kid, hey Jong kook look at me.” the old man place his hands on both Jong kook’s shoulder and Jong kook was forced to meet the others gaze. What he found in those orb -- he has the same eyes as Ji hyo -- was not what he expected.

 

“I’m not asking you to stay away from my daughter. I’ll have you know that I’m not the typical chaebol dad, if it’s not already too obvious -- My daughter will decide, of course, if she accepts your love. I just want you to know Jong kook, if my daughter loves you back; I will accept you as my future son in law. I only ask that you stay by her side no matter what.”

 

“Sir… you know me. You probably know everything about me and my family. things I myself don’t know… it’s not like dear old dad told me anything before, he and mom had the accident and my Grandpa’s not any better but I know he… he’s got secrets of his own. I’m a tragedy.”

 

The older man’s gaze turned softer and sad. He still didn’t remove his hands from Jong kook’s shoulders and the teacher didn’t mind, finding it oddly comforting.

 

“Jong kook if you were another man trying to get my approval I would have already shipped you to an isolated island and never to be seen again. Believe me, I could totally make that happen.

“You are right. I know things about your family. I played gold with your parents -- they aren’t bad people. Now your grandfather almost made me run for my money. He was ruthless and has a nasty history but he truly cared for you. You don’t have to worry about your past. Your grandpa made sure his secrets died with him. Including you Jong kook.

“You wanted nothing to do with the Kims right? Your grandfather made that wish of yours a reality a long time ago. You’re just Kim Jong kook now, teacher Kim. Whatever you want, whoever you want to be… whoever you love, it’s now all up to you.”

 

“How? How did you know?” Jong kook stares at the older Cheon as if hypnotized. He felt his knees struggle with his weight. He felt far too lightheaded and he was breathing in short gasps. “Sir? How did you know all of that? How can you say…” he repeats, finding his voice shaking. Breathing is becoming a hard task and his hands start to shake.

 

“Shh… hey, it’s okay… Jong kook? Hey kid?”

 

The chairman sounded so far away. Jong kook couldn’t even see him anymore, but he could see his parents again. Like he was a little child again.

 

They went to another trip without him, as always. They said they were meeting with associates but Jong kook knew his mother and father have no business in Hongkong; they just love to shop there.

 

He was living with his grandfather again.  The old man would play chess with him but little Jong kook was bad at it. The old man would tell him stories, techniques and strategies to ‘defeat’ his enemies. Most of the time, Jong kook feels that the stuff his gramps like to say aren’t chess related at all. But it’s okay. At least the old man would tell him stories unlike his parents.

 

He was growing up and he started school. He hated it. Everyone was a snob and a brat. The teachers expect too much and they say things he doesn’t understand. He gets a lot of tutors. Grandpa would still play chess with him and he still cannot understand the stories. His parents are always travelling. The house was always quiet like no one lived there.

 

At seven, Jong kook threw his first punch. He was tired of his snobbish classmates. They always make fun of him just because he’s better at them in sports and despite him not really doing well in class; he is good at English (because he hoped if he impressed his mom and dad with his language skills they will bring him along with their travels). He sounded clear, even better than their teacher, while the brats couldn’t even write their names in alphabet yet.

 

Jong kook did his best but five kids versus a single one automatically resulted in Jong kook getting beat up. His parents were called. No one came. The teacher looked at Jong kook pitifully and just gave him detention. While writing ‘I will not engage in fist fights again’ both in English and Korean, Jong kook cried. Not because the bruises hurt, but because he felt so unloved.

 

He wished they weren’t rich. He wished he could attend the public school instead. He wished he got a friend and lived in a little house at a busy neighborhood.

 

His grandpa stopped playing with him and told him to focus on his studies when he turned eight. The company is having problems and the old man has to work harder. He hated chess but he missed his grandpa even if he doesn’t understand the stories. His parents almost never come home now and the shouting started. Jong kook knew it was his parents his grandpa is shouting at in his phone. Jong kook hated his family.

 

One day his grandpa ordered him to wear his best clothes, it was not the first time but he remembers it more than the others. He hated events but went through it because it was the only time someone pays him any attention.

 

They went to a gala event where, as usual, there are no kids his age. He keeps quiet and displays his best manners when a ball of pink slams at him from out of nowhere. So thus was his first meeting with Cheon Seung Im. The kid dashed away after saying sorry, hurrying and squealing gleefully into the arms of a pretty woman with a big, warm smile.

 

How could someone be that happy in a place like this? He wished the kid good luck. Wished she’d grow up and not realize the things he did. Wished the pretty woman, her mother, would always be like that. Jong kook runs away to a dark corner and stays there until it was time to go.

 

Then suddenly, Jong kook who has mastered sneaking pranks to his enemies (slowly he’s gaining appreciation from his grandfather’s chess strategies), the kid who appears well behaved in others presence but actually resents the world, has found the family he wished he has.

 

And now he has a friend.

 

Kim Jong kook tried to be better for this friend because he doesn’t want to lose her. And it was easy, because he just have to be everything he isn’t. He just has to be just like the old him. Not the Jong kook who has to pretend to be a nice, obedient charmer at social parties, not the Jong kook who gets in trouble (hoping someone would care), not the Jong kook who says chess is his favorite hobby, not Jong kook who tries too hard to impress his parents with English and French. He was just Jong kook with nothing but himself.

 

Ji hyo, he calls her princess Ji hyo. But those were all lies even if he was just being himself. Sometimes he was confused. Sometimes he doesn’t know anymore what the lies were.

 

But at least he doesn’t hate the world so much anymore because he has something to love now – Ji hyo’s giggles and laughs, Chairman’s forceful (but warm) pats on the backs, Mrs. Cheon’s pastries and endless smiles -- finally he knew how it feels to have a real family.

 

But alas, his parents whose only contribution to his life ended when he was delivered at the hospital (he knows that the money wasn’t theirs nor their house), had to take everything away.

 

The Kim’s empire collapsed due to his dad. There were more fighting. Too much shouting. And worst, he couldn’t see Ji hyo that much.

 

“I gave everything for the two of you! I never forced you to do anything else and you have to… why son? Is the money I give you not enough?”

 

“I’m sorry Pa, I messed up but if the Cheons--”

 

“And now you sell your son and my pride!”

 

“But if the two is arranged married, we could fix it Pa. We’ll be able to fund the --”

 

Jong kook runs away as if burned. He’s only ten but he knows already why none of his wishes couldn’t come true -- why he can’t go to public school, why he can’t have friends, why his family is always out of the country, why his grandpa trains him through chess -- marry Ji hyo?

 

The thought made him smile. At least he’ll never be alone again and he’ll have his only friend with him forever.

 

His useless parents died and the family almost lost everything. The stocks couldn’t handle the issues that sprung and his father was sunk low in debt. Jong kook didn’t mind not being rich. His grandpa said he was secured until college and even if Jong kook didn’t like studying, he figured out that he just didn’t like his school.

 

Then the bullying worsened. They still have a small company but compared to his classmates, he was dirt poor. At least now Jong kook had the excuse to go to a private school for middle class people.

 

Life was better. He sometimes cries (no one ever knows) when he remembers his parents. They used to try though they didn’t know how to talk to him and they don’t read stories… Jong kook just tells his mind that they are on a permanent vacation, like what else was new?

 

But then he sees Ji hyo less and less. He will marry her someday anyway; he tells her that he will come back. Of course he will. But the marriage was a surprise. He just tells her that he will always come back to her.

 

Jong kook learns to dream (become a coach or a professional player for the national team, to be a singer, become an idol, a teacher maybe?). He likes his new school, loves the sports program. He got friends now (Ji hyo is still his best ever friend) but he couldn’t talk to the guys freely. He doesn’t know how he knew but he just did, that speaking about himself is a big no-no.

 

His grandfather is sick and Jong kook was afraid. He may not have understood his grandfather that much but he loves the old man. Loves him more than he ever did his parents. And he’s also terrified, he’s only 12, and all he has was the old man. His grandfather is not an affectionate man but one night he asked Jong kook to come closer until he was draped on his lap.

 

The older Kim coughs and Jong kook could only hug him tighter, feeling him literally slip away. He says that Jong kook should be a brave man, that he’s sorry… that his parents did love him. That he doesn’t need to worry and just study, dream and be a better person than all of them. He said a lot of things but Jong kook didn’t care. No matter how he hated his life and his family, he couldn’t fathom how losing all of them was any better.

 

Jong kook cries and for the first time he was free to do so without getting scolded. The old man runs his wrinkled boney hand in his hair and Jong kook sobs and pleads him not to leave. He only gets a shaky, “I’m so sorry, Jong kook-ah…”

 

He does leave anyway, as always, no one listens to Jong kook.

 

It was scary. All he has now was lawyers with papers that will secure his inheritance, trusts, the remaining company and their old family manor (which he decides to sell as soon as he can) and a friend of his grandfather (former assistant) as his guardian. The media was ruthless. The camera flashes were blinding, the questions was deafening. The jeers of the society were killing him. The never ending stream of fake condolence and the pitiful looks was drowning.  

 

Ji hyo was waiting, he can’t, he couldn’t, but he saw her at the funeral. She stuck to his side and he could breathe again. He said he’s sorry for not coming and told her he’s going to be busier. She nods like an adult. He will be a teacher. She said, come to Running Man then and teach. Jong kook nodded and tried not to cry. He can be a teacher when he grows up but he cannot be her future husband anymore.

 

Jong kook learned to run away.

 


Sorry for the very common chaebol family cliche but I think it suited Jong kook? Phew, I hope you liked it. I felt bad giving the commander a panic attack and have him relieve his past like that... but I needed plot to happen.

 

Thanks for reading :-)