RM-ABS 15

Running Man All Boys School

I rarely put AN on the start of my fics but I think I should warn you guys that this will start on what Jong kook was doing before he finds Ji hyo in the gardens... just to make it clear... thanks! And sorry for the typos. I'm doing my best >///<


Only a few months have passed since the school year has started. And as loathe as he was to admit it, she made those few months much more interesting than the previous years he’d spent in the school. Jong kook’s normal days used to be filled with disciplining students, training then, coaching them around and solving who set up the latest prank on him. It was fun. But then, when everyone else is away…

 

Jong kook could admit that sometimes it gets awfully too quiet… and almost lonely.

 

He knew she was trouble even before he learned who she really is. Receiving a call from his past -- from her father no less -- both scared and made him hope. He was scared that he will mess up things again. And he was hopeful, that he’d have his biggest supporter, his best friend, back again.

 

 He could clearly remember how it used to be -- little Ji hyo listening to his rants and nonsense even though she couldn’t really understand a thing. She never has qualms offering little comfort at all times which always surprised Jong kook. She was that little spitfire who’d appear for a hug from out of nowhere. The warm blanket who liked leaning unto him while she looked at picture books. His own personal jukebox who loves humming instead of singing a song because she couldn’t remember the lyrics.

 

Maybe there is a reason that she found him again or maybe, he was waiting for her all these years. He doesn’t expect that everything would be the same. They have grown up so much and had been apart for too long. But once upon a time, she was his best and only friend… who could blame him for wanting that friend back again?

 

And the little princess had not only grown up but had also become a compassionate, smart and beautiful woman. It killed Jong kook’s small hope that they could be best friends again. Why? Because why would she want to do anything with Jong kook? Because her father personally called (warned) to ask him to guide his precious daughter around the school, and Jong kook would even without anyone asking him.

 

 Just… the thought of being best friends sounds laughable and impossible. And would she even remember their past? Because he realized that Ji hyo had been so young. He couldn’t even remember his first tutor when he was five -- for all he knows, Ji hyo might not even remember a thing about him.

 

But he at least hoped that they will be close colleagues. He never expected that their personalities would clash the first time they are left alone together. He’s very pleasantly surprised at her personality. His little princess who had been so cute and sweet… grew up into a beautiful tigress when he thought she would be just like her mother. A refined lady incapable of any roughness. Then later on, she accused him for being her father’s “babysitter-spy”. And now she hates him because he was the prince who left.

 

Well, that answered the question of whether she remembered a thing about him. She could even remember their promise to meet again at the school when things got right. He completed the promise unintentionally but only because he has nowhere to go… and because things with him just would never be right. He could have gone to meet her if he really wanted but for whatever reason, he always found an excuse not to. He doesn’t want anything now, just maybe… for Ji hyo and him to get along. But it was so hard and he couldn’t figure out why?

 

Maybe because you failed her, then you became a much bigger failure after… how could you face her when you couldn’t be the almighty prince anymore…

 

His shook his head in disbelief. He didn’t even hear Myung soo ask if he could go, until the boy cleared his throat noisily. “I guess we really needed that talk saem.”

 

“Uh, yeah… I’m--l"

 

“Please, stop apologizing and forgive yourself. I’m okay now… at least now I know your side… and I could sleep better knowing that you didn’t have that kind of intention to noona… I should go.” He scratched at his head awkwardly. He tried for a small smile before bowing and leaving Jong kook at the empty gym.

 

“Thanks Kim Myungsoo…” he called out to the retreating teen. This one was also unexpected because he never imagined that his past would ever set him free. He took a deep breath and was surprised to learn that he could do it easier now.

 

Feeling that he is done with deep thinking and reflections for the day, he decided to take a walk to calm his thoughts. The chilly wind and hint of lighting greeted Jong kook outside the gym, reminding him of the weather forecast this morning. Jong kook decided that a walk would have to be postponed for now. He turned to go back to the dorms but halted at the sound of pebbles crunching as if someone is running.

 

The path is dangerous at night with most of the lighting busted and if the storm comes, the moon will not be there to show the way. Jong kook went back first to get an umbrella, wincing when only a hideous orange one was available. The first roll of thunder echoed and while he normally doesn’t fear it, he’s suddenly reminded of little Ji hyo shivering in the cold, while a terrible storm churns outside.

 

They played for hours without realizing how far they are in the hacienda. He just tends to lose track of time when he is with her. Then it just rained without warning. The thunder spooked Ji hyo who was perched a rock. It was not very high, but the rain and mud made it very easy for Ji hyo to fall on the other side.

 

Jong kook couldn’t even shout her name. He just watched her disappear. Jong kook was already completely soaked when he regained the strength to run after her, sliding and groping around the mud. He found her sitting on the ground, holding her ankle funny. She was drenched, tears or rain streaming down her muddy face. He rushed to her, hugging her in relief, whispering her name, his princess, safe, with him…

 

Even he himself did not believe those words.

He was very afraid.

 

He carried him in his back without noticing that Ji hyo hadn’t said a word ever since the fall. He found shelter on a shallow cave they had explored earlier that day. Jong kook would have made fire but he doesn’t know how. He only knows that he should keep her warm but he was also very cold. All the little boy could do was hug her, hold on tight and pray that someone finds them before Jong kook never ever forgives himself…

 

Another loud thunder echoed in the empty gym making Jong kook literally jump. Maybe it was the confessions and talk he had with Myung soo that’s making him revisit his past, and think about her?

 

But it just feels very strange, and very wrong.

 

He hurries out to call out the person. It could be just a student taking a walk, but no one actually dares to visit the old trails after the sun goes down. It was dubbed the most haunted of all places in the school. It also didn’t help that it has been the most beautiful part of the gardens once and students believe it died with the muse (it was actually Ji hyo’s mother, dubbed as the ‘muse’). The teachers have a personal gym for exercise… who would visit this place during the night? He only knows one person who walked the trails like she was at home there and even she has gotten lost on broad daylight -- .

 

Jong kook sprinted while he prayed he was wrong. She was not a little kid anymore but what if something happens? She had a sprain here on her first day. She could slip and he’d be too late again. She could get lost, get disoriented in the rain and end up in the vast forests. He knows no animal in the school grounds that would attack people, but he’s heard of snakes and deadly insects on the deepest parts of the neighboring forest though it would take almost a day to reach by foot, but still he couldn’t help the worry eating his insides. Where could she be, and why is he so sure it was her?

 

Without thinking, Jong kook followed the path to where he’s found her before.

 

Reaching the clearing, Jong kook definitely couldn’t help feeling great relief  at seeing Ji hyo sitting on the stone bench, looking up the sky as if she was shooting some kind of music video. If he was completely out of his sanity already, he would just run and hug her again so tight until he’s convinced that she’s okay. Instead, he felt anger burn wild in his veins. How could she remind him again of that day when he thought he’d already lost her?

 

He stomped-walked towards her but she acted like she didn’t hear a thing, and maybe she really didn’t with that faraway look she’s sporting. Now that Jong kook is close enough to see her face, illuminated softly by the moon, he was momentarily stunned. It was actually impossible to see much… but it looks like Ji hyo was radiating light in the dark as corny and nonsense as that sounds… but he just doesn’t have anything else to describe what he’s seeing. Jong kook learns that Ji hyo looks beautiful in the somber light of the moon, like a goddess in the dark -- if not for the persistent rain and thunder, he would have been contented to just stand there, transfixed and watching Ji hyo because…

 

Jong kook shoved everything that’s causing him a headache and sending his thoughts into chaos to the very back of his brain then he approached Ji hyo. He watched her face grow confused, her hand trailing the side of her face, as if wondering why the rain has stopped. Then she looked up at Jong kook and why did his breathing just stuttered at the expectant look and sparkle of recognition in her eyes? As if he’s the very person she’s waiting for while she sat and waited… no, I’m just delusional…

 

“Yah! Song Ji hyo, are you nuts?” Jong kook exclaimed, unaware of the anger, relief and worry manifesting in his voice. He closed the little distance left between them until he’s sure that he’s kept the rain from drenching her. He shouldn’t do that anymore. He shouldn’t think of Ji hyo as his little princess anymore so he wouldn’t be confused. This woman is not his best friend; not his little sweet princess. She’s an adult, a strong and very capable woman even if he keeps on forgetting that.

 

Jong kook’s anger at Ji hyo’s actions thawed a little when he saw how badly Ji hyo is shivering. His instinct to make her warm and safe has been roaring in his subconscious. But this is different from the past. He rationalizes with his brain that Ji hyo is not in danger. “You’re still like…” he paused and sighed. Of course, some things just will never change just like how he’s itching to take care of this no longer little girl. “You’re still getting lost.” He murmured instead, with a hint of fondness because no matter how much Ji hyo puzzles and surprises him, he would forever feel protective of her.

 

 And he maybe couldn’t just hug her anymore, but he could wrap her in his jacket. All throughout his efforts to make her warm, she glared at him like there was no tomorrow and it’s almost cute. The temptation to pinch her cheek was too strong but Jong kook is a man of control and patience and besides, he’s angry (he reminds himself).

 

Minutes passed in a tense silence. Jong kook wanted to drag Ji hyo away since the woman looked content to glare at him under the rain the whole night. He still hasn’t magically learned how to approach her without the old habits resurfacing. So there he stood, waiting with the huge orange umbrella sheltering both of them until he feels like his arm is going to fall off.

 

Another roll of thunder reminded Jong kook that he really needs to get Ji hyo back to the dorms. He doesn’t know what to say. He’s not sure he could do this the way he remembers -- then without really thinking it through, he grabs her hand and holds it tight, worry overwhelming his senses when he discovers that Ji hyo feels frozen. He tugs at her and starts for the dorms.

 

She tries to pull away but he couldn’t let go. As gently as he could, he slows down and lets her tug, moving back his hand to break the force but still holding tight. He couldn’t leave her and Ji hyo has developed a stubbornness that rivals his own, if not more. “You can’t get sick… please.” He pleads without looking because he’s afraid. His mind could only think of the little cold Ji hyo curled on him. The one who looked dead and so very cold.

 

Jong kook sighed in relief when Ji hyo stopped resisting. He still held her hand -- because she could still run away… not because it feels comforting and reassuring. Then she squeezed his hand for attention and stopped. “Prince oppa?” Jong kook thought the world had stopped, or maybe his heart stopped beating?

 

“Why were you avoiding me?”

 

Prince oppa…

 

How could he answer a question he couldn’t understand because that time, all he could hear is the hope and emotions in those two words? The little boy wanted his best friend back and maybe the little girl in her does too. Jong kook would like that… to have someone to talk to, to tease, banter with… he missed having someone who knew him and didn’t care for his flaws but cared for who he is. He missed family. He missed a lot… but he thinks he’s also already missed his chance.

 

He squeezed back her now warm hand and said the only thing he could, “we’d talk Ji hyo… but not here. I promise my p-prin…” he sighed and as always -- “we’d talk Ms. Song, I promise.” -- He avoided answering her again.

 

 

 

Ji hyo didn’t know whether to run or to walk slowly. She had just discovered how ing hard it is to share an umbrella -- especially if it’s with someone who had just spent a week trying to avoid her. And it was really, really cold. Except her right hand which is still clasped tightly by Jong kook, as if she’s the one with a bad habit of running away…

 

The paths had become slippery, making the way to the dorms slower than it should be. Coupled with the awkward steps they are making, warm shower and hot meal feels like eons away. Maybe Ji hyo should say something. She wanted to talk to him… but whenever she remembers that she just called him prince oppa earlier, Ji hyo dies a little because of embarrassment.

 

Or maybe they didn’t need to talk, right now… she just wants him to at least not avoid her. Ji hyo would really like that… to get to know this man, to see him and not his shadows.

 

“Kim Jong kook-ssi?” she whispers despite the fact that Jong kook said they’d talk but later and she assumes the later is about the ‘prince oppa’ topic so now she could make small talk, right? She also discovered that she does not like the way ‘ssi’ sounds in . Then he stops walking and Ji hyo of course didn’t know he would so she stumbled a little and bumped into Jong kook’s very broad and warm back. Maybe she is imagining it, but his grip tightens for a nanosecond before he releases her. And Ji hyo definitely did not miss the little warmth. Of course not.

 

Ji hyo wonders what she’s done now. Is he leaving now, going back into the shadows or wherever it is he disappears into these past few days? It seemed like the world stopped for a moment while Ji hyo stayed there motionless while her mind runs a mile a minute with horrible thoughts.  He stood there like a frozen human statue for a long time. Then his shoulders relaxed a little. He didn’t turn around but he wraps an arm around her and pulls her closer. Then they just start walking like that. Side by side they walked; the arm around her holding the umbrella, while it rained harder (not that she really noticed).

 

“I’m sorry but this…” he gestures wildly around them, “so you won’t get too wet. And y-you can… use my name.” he (finally!) says. “Or anything you’re comfortable with.” He adds so softly that Ji hyo wouldn’t have heard him in the downpour if they weren’t pressed so close like that. Ji hyo herself couldn’t form a word, not even an incorrigible gibberish or even a grunt. Her mind tries to justify the situation that now, walking is more comfortable. Second, it is much warmer and practical if she doesn’t want to burn with fever later. Third… time jumped and they’re now entering the dorm grounds so why does Ji hyo feel a wave of disappointment at seeing the covered walk?

 

Jong kook let’s go of her and hangs the umbrella at the gate. She steps into the dry path and walks slowly towards the doors. Jong kook catches up and only 20 steps were left before they lose the reason to walk together.

 

19, 18, 17… Jongkook… 16, 15, prince? 14 and 13… Teacher Kim… 12, 11, 10…

 

“Hey… o-oppa.”

 

This time Jong kook turns around sharply and Ji hyo thinks the little upward curl of his lips and that contented tilt of his head -- is Jong kook’s way of saying his approval.

 

So what if they don’t talk yet or have a lengthy (emotional) discussion? For Ji hyo… this is comfortable and more satisfying than grilling him for answers to questions she cannot phrase. The two of them didn’t need a closure or any explanation of the past… maybe in the future. But right now?

 

What they need is a start.

 

“I’m hungry, Seung Im-ah… go get dressed and let’s have dinner.” He says before he left Ji hyo dripping on the steps. She smiles and mentally does a little victory dance.

 

This is definitely a start to something that doesn’t need to be defined… for now.

 

---/:::::/---

 

Ji hyo is miserable. Miserably ill but not regretful. The weather is damn fine for a Saturday and everyone is enjoying the grounds. The little village that students now call their own little Hogsmead is probably filled with couples and boys trying to act all cool and grown up. It is fun to do some people watching there or do some light shopping.

 

But Ji hyo is stuck in the indoors with a terrible cold and a headache rivaling her first experience with a few (4) bottles of Soju back in high school. Kyung soo is clucking like a real hen around her. Ji hyo swears he is even fussier than her own mother.

 

“Bhut Kyungie… ‘m nuh ungry (But Kyungie… I’m not hungry.” She whines the aegyo out and buries her head deep in her arms to hide her embarrassment. Kyung soo tries to lift her head but couldn’t do it unless he wants to behead Ji hyo. The aegyo may be cute and has serious effects on his sanity (and heart), but he needs to feed Ji hyo so she’d get better. “Oy, Jong kook hyung, your meal’s over there… hey! Your nose is running too! Oh my rotten eggs! My dorm has an epidemic!”

 

Ji hyo didn’t look up. Kyung soo is trying a very dirty trick that is not very effective because why would Ji hyo look up at -- “It’s just a little cold Kyung soo.” -- At Jong kook’s voice, Ji hyo does look up so fast she felt a knot pop in her neck.

 

“Aha! It rained last night and here are two people who are both showing symptoms of the flu and if I remember correctly…” Kyung soo pauses for a dramatic effect. “You were both late for dinner and arrived almost together… coincidence or are you guys not telling me something?” the youngest stands up and grabs a spatula to point at them like it is a microphone. “Speak up runny noses before I deprive you of food!”

 

Jong kook laughs and Ji hyo envies him because it seems that all he got are little sniffles. His laugh even sounds just the same, rich, manly, deep, addicting -- oh wait? What? Did she really describe a laugh like that??

 

“Kyung soo, it’s just a little cold because of the sudden rain. I had to get my stuff before it gets wet and lost in the storm… besides, you wouldn’t really do that,”

 

“Hmm… you’re right hyung. I’d go get meds for your colds.”

 

“How about Ji hyo here?” the muscled man asks and pokes Ji hyo for emphasis. Kyung soo’s eyes widen but he didn’t say a thing. Not that the two would even notice because now Ji hyo is busy swatting Jong kook’s hand away. “Yah, I’m just trying to see if you’ve got fever!”

 

“Dyou juzt whanta annoy be lide dyou always dhou (you just want to annoy me like you always do)!” she complains loudly.

 

Kyung soo smiles and walks away while the two pester each other. They look sick, but good, together… he thinks.


Thanks for the wonderful comments last chap guys... I'm sorry if this is a bit late. I don't have net yet at home so I have to go out to post and I hate going out...... but I will still update once a week, maybe more when my sis finishes whatever it is she has to do for internet... hope you enjoy this chap. Thank you for reading.