RM-ABS 13

Running Man All Boys School

“Thanks for the food Kyung.”

 

Curious brown eyes lifted to look at Ji hyo’s, assessing and sparkling with understanding. He smiled and didn’t say a thing while his mind runs overdrive. Finally, the boy has figured it out. Not only students but also teachers feel comfortable enough to let him in their secrets. One of those people was Kim Jong kook.

 

Ji hyo was that princess Jong kook has been mumbling about. His hyung’s first love even if he kept on denying it when he sobered up. That’s a long story which happened way back when Jong kook’s still a bit new in the dorms.

 

And Kyung soo could still remember the man whispering about a princess, about he’s not really a prince but he’s sworn to be her knight anyway. That Jong kook didn’t keep the promise and he sounded so hurt and regretful that Kyung soo might have cried a little too much. Maybe even more than the muscled man did. It also made him wonder what kind of girls she was. Why his hyung who looked so tough and strong could crumble like that.

 

Now it’s just obvious that Ji hyo was the one for the P.E. teacher. And if she’s not, well, Jong kook’s gaze says she’s really important, princess or not.

 

“You know Kyung-ie when I was young… there’s this person I play with but… I can’t even remember his name… or maybe he never told me?” she sighs and slurps more soup. She scoops some rice and Kyung soo tops it with fried meat before it reaches . “Then I met him again when we’re all grown up but I didn’t recognize him, then suddenly I just knew that’s him… I’m so confusing don’t you think?”

 

“Not really noona. Sounds like you were close even if you don’t remember his name.”

 

“Close? Yeah, maybe… he’s one of the few memories I remember from my childhood. But he’s just a playmate, a boy who often visits us with his dad… I got no friends then and I was so happy when… he’s there… then he’s not there anymore. I haven’t seen him in a long time.”

 

Kyung soo scoops more rice into her bowl and adds a bit of kimchi in her spoon en route to . “You both grew up. It’s normal that you don’t recognize each other. He must have not known too… unless you look the same way as you did when you were kids.”

 

“True… but he... he knew who I am… but he kept quiet. He talked as if he didn’t know me.”

 

“Maybe he was unsure… a long time has passed as you say…”

 

“I grew up… he grew up. I get it. We’re not kids anymore...”

 

The boy nodded and smiled softly. “Isn’t that the perfect reason to look in the present and see… if he was the boy you knew? And maybe start knowing the man he’s grown into? You missed him noona.”

 

Big latte eyes looked at his and they now sparked with life. She grinned at him and his heart did a little leap, somewhere in his person longed for that gaze to be for him.

 

“Maybe… wow, can’t believe we could sound so serious over soup. Did you put soju in this?”

 

“Eyy, why would I put soju in hangover soup noona?” he chuckled and placed another portion of fish in her rice before she eats it plain. Ji hyo chases it with more soup and Kyung soo wonders… why her smile, as beautiful as it looks, now hurts him to see it?

 

Internally the boy shakes his head. Because he can’t. Whatever the voice in his head is screaming, it can never be the reason for the disappointment in his heart.

 

-----///-----

 

“Finally here to punish me teacher?” Myung soo mumbled with nonchalance. He was in the school Food Avenue idly browsing some forum his phone while he nursed a milkshake. The casual demeanor and the almost convincing adult act did nothing to hide his youth and nervousness.

 

“You didn’t come to class.”

 

“Am I the first person to ever do that?” he took a sip and Ji hyo sat across the boy.

 

“You’ve missed a seatwork and I’m not giving you any specials until your reason is valid enough. But I’m giving you this…” she fished out a stack of paper and slapped it on the table. “Submit it tomorrow and catch up with the lessons. I might give a surprise quiz... real soon.” she also placed a book and a photocopy of Joongki’s notes in front of him. “Study and maybe you’d give the top ten something to be nervous about.”

 

She smiled tightly and stood up without another word.

 

Myung soo can only stare stupidly at the retreating teacher. He was playing various scenarios in his head but he never thought it would be… more homework. Without thinking, he grabbed the materials and raced outside after the female teacher.

 

“Ms. Song!” the little teacher was pretty fast and it left the boy sloshing his milkshake dangerously onto his ‘homework’. “Ms. Song!” he finally reached her and he the papers in her direction.

 

“I don’t need this!”

 

To that, Ji hyo raised her brows. “Your grade says you do.”

 

“No! I mean… I don’t need your pity. You knew what I did, what I can do. I was wrong and I’m not supposed… you don’t have to do this.” he was beyond baffled and exhausted. He couldn’t see another set of eyes telling him oh this poor misguided boy…

 

“Well thank you for admitting your mistake and please take a good look at those.”

 

Confused, the student looked at the book and saw his name on it. It was in his lockers the last time he remembered and only one kid can have access to it. His roommate slash locker mate. The question sheet has his name with a handwriting he recognizes – the class president’s.

 

“Seo In gook is a good class leader but he’s also your classmate ever since elementary, he told me so. He also considers you his friend. Joong ki is the class genius but he’s not actually that cold and would help anyone who asks, even if Gwang soo annoys him to death. Gary is very simple and I know people think he’s so naïve but he’s actually very thoughtful. I am only giving you what they prepared for you.”

 

Myung soo pretended to cough, choking on the lump in his throat. It was so hard to speak let alone look at the teacher. In guk and Kyung soo were the worst naggers he knew and In guk did always badger him into submitting projects, homework… and he thought it’s the president’s job. Not because they were friends or something. Joong ki is as cold as him. Gary always talks and sings in their room and but he has always pushed him away. He has always pushed away everyone and the thought made him cold.

 

“I only delivered Myung soo. I know History might be boring to you since you like technical things… you wanted to be an engineer, right? I saw it in the hallways. Kyung soo thought it would be nice to remind everyone of their dreams when they first stepped here in school. The wallpaper was actually cute…”

 

Ji hyo knew she should stop talking. Who knew if she’s right? What if she’s doing everything wrong? She’s the teacher and she could make it worst for this kid. She just wanted to run more and more as the silence stretched. Myung soo wouldn’t look at her but only stood there clutching the materials so hard she thought they’d turn into powder.

 

Maybe her dad was right. Maybe she’s not fit to be a teacher. Maybe –

 

“Ms. Song, I’m sorry… but why?”

 

“Because I’m your teacher Myung soo and they are your friends.” Ji hyo smiled, thinking she’s being stupid and paranoid. Myung soo is a good kid and she just needs to trust him.

 

Myung soo doesn’t cry. He doesn’t get all emotional and he’s the very stereotypical teenage ice prince but just for now, he lets himself get touched. He turned around, hugged Song Ji hyo tight, mumbled a thank you and ran away.

 

Ji hyo blinked. She didn’t expect it to go that well. She smiled goofily and there was this weird sway in her steps but she couldn’t care more.  So what if people think she’s crazy? She’s just so happy she’s literally bouncing in her steps.

 

------///-----

 

“Kim Myung soo.” The boy stopped dead only to see an awkward Kim Jong kook blocking the way in the gym lockers. “You’re late.” The man sighed. He was looking at everywhere but at Myung soo.

 

“I’m sorry I skipped class sir. Won’t do it again… besides, you were also late teacher. I already got lectured by Ms. Song.” he murmured, smiling at the way the teacher relaxes. Jong kook almost returns the smile but shakes his head and acts like nothing happened.

 

“Now boy, go back to class and make good on that promise!” The PE teacher barks.

 

“Neh!”

 

-----///-----

 

“Kyung soo-yah, is Jong kook on some kind of diet or what? I haven’t seen him in ages.” Ji hyo happily took a bite of cookie that Myung soo offered before plopping herself beside him in the dorm’s living room couch. “Damn, I’m going to need more pants soon.”

 

“Are you blaming me noona? I’ll buy you tons of pants and just let me feed you forever.” he jokes at her, changing the channel into that drama she likes. He also subtly nudges a pillow in her direction that she happily grabs. “You seem really happy noona. Did something happen today?” Kyung soo looks at her, his heart melting a little when she lets out a girly laugh with that goofy smile.

 

“Yeah, the greatest thing.” she launches into her I am your teacher Myung soo! tirade and the boy wonders if her cheeks ever hurt. She breathes deeply after her story, the drama forgotten and now she’s just looking at Kyung soo, their bodies touching, and faces so close.

 

When Kyung soo remembers to breathe, he pats her and offers more cookies. “You were so cool noona! And that means more cookies.”

 

“Aw Kyung soo, but pants!”

 

“Who cares about pants noona. We celebrate things here with food and… don’t worry noona, you will always look good.” to me…

 

Ji hyo jokingly groans but takes another and another until only crumbs were left. Then they were just watching the drama with occasional comments. She avidly watched the box while he watched the woman while wondering why he’s doing that.

 

“Aw! Why is it done already!”

 

Yeah I’m so done for…

 

“Geeze, I hate waiting for the next episode but anyway, good night Kyung soo-yah. And thanks, I’m really glad I was placed in this dorm.”

 

“Me too noona.”

 

I’m just sorry I didn’t meet you sooner…

 


I think I'm gonna ship Ji hyo with everyone lol. Hope you enjoy the story  and I'm sorry for the delays ...