RM-ABS 16

Running Man All Boys School

The next morning showed no trace of the thunderstorm the previous night. It was the perfect mix of a little cloudy and chill with a hint of sun. It’s the perfect day for outdoor activities without anyone fainting from the heat or getting too cold from the wind. 

 

And Ji hyo was so glad she didn’t listen to lead mother hen Kyung soo and fussy Mr. Muscles who wanted to confine her indoors. Jong kook scowled at her throughout the whole meal. Between him and Kyung soo, Ji hyo would be terribly spoiled she might soon forget how to put food in her own spoon.

 

 The PE teacher is still overprotective as before, but he was… more pleasant. He even showed up for breakfast even if a bit late. She could admit she was a little (so) disappointed to see the empty spot but everything was forgotten when he did finally appear. Ji hyo just couldn’t pinpoint the exact thing or what was different, he’s just… not so annoying anymore and the teasing and the banter this morning… (But Ji hyo refuses to put too much thought on what happened last night or this morning -- she’d rather enjoy whatever she has now than combust in over-thinking).

 

So despite the runny nose, the teensy headache and sore throat, her mood has improved greatly. Most of the students are outside the school premises but she overheard Inguk setting up plans with Class 2-C to practice. The thought of her students’ surprising enthusiasm and talents, plus, the hot shower did miracles and shut all the temptation of going back to bed to curl down on the comfy sheets and sleep. The bed could wait after she’s done supporting and helping out her students. Besides, there would always be papers to grade and students who needs good old fashioned tutoring on weekends.

 

When she was passing Jong kook’s doors, the door opened, making Ji hyo squeal. She turned to Jong kook who was laughing silently at her. Ji hyo automatically glared at him but it only made his grin bigger. Until she just couldn’t help but grin back. “Hey there Mr. Ninja. Is that also part of the curriculum beside Karatedo, MuayThai, Judo --”

 

“”I don’t teach my students martial arts Ms. Song.” He scoffed defensively, crossing those badass arms that made his biceps bulge. Ji hyo just raised her brows.

 

“Mixed martial arts then? Wrestling? Boxing?”

 

“Ms. Song, I give out some extra lessons on sports… we do have coaches for the other stuff like Seung Won, Chunsoo, Tae won and Seunghoon.” Then he relaxed and looked at her with warm worried orbs. The teasing atmosphere was gone and it was replaced by something… she couldn’t name yet. “Hey, Ji hyo, are you really fine now?” he stepped closer and instinct told her to step back but she didn’t and she couldn’t avoid that big hand with assorted nicks and calluses that found its way on her forehead. Ji hyo momentarily forgot to breathe.

 

“I-I’m fine… I’m just, will just watch the rehearsals. I won’t get sick from sitting down on the bench, coach.”

 

Jong kook sighed like she was being a bad student. But why is Ji hyo not as annoyed as she used to be when he was nagging her?

 

“Then they should practice in the gym. It’s better for the kids, better acoustics than the open fields…” he offered then went to find Inguk. In the end Ji hyo still ended up indoors but it was okay. The kids did appreciate not having everyone gawking while they rehearsed. Jong kook even stayed to help with the fighting scenes.

 

Even Dongwan dropped by but instead of getting mad. He had this weird smile and he even asked Ji hyo about the project which ended up with her asking the principal if they could present the play to everyone at the school. The little man surprisingly agreed and they can even use the theater. When Ji hyo gets well enough she’d hunt the drama coach and collaborate the play. But for now, she eagerly checked her students’ progress.

 

Gary has finished the whole script with Joongki’s help. Even Gwangsoo helped, the three spending an all-nighter in Joongki’s and Gwangsoo’s room. She quickly reviewed it, made a little correction which she consulted with the writing team and after an hour, Ji hyo, Joongki, Gary and Gwangsoo declared that it’s perfect. Inguk grinned so hard to finally have something to order around his classmates and Ji hyo with a big smile stepped on the sidelines to watch her students’ practice.

 

Ji hyo discovered that almost everyone knows a thing or two about music and they can compose their own songs, especially the little kid who likes to be called G-Dragon. The kids was just acting and reviewing their script then suddenly everyone was singing it. To Ji hyo’s delight and surprise, almost everyone too, can operate a musical instrument -- she was treated to an instant musical concert that showcased the real colors of class 2-C. Ji hyo knew the rumors and what others think of her class but her students are brilliant. She refuses to think otherwise.

 

Now she’s so glad Dongwan has checked on them. Who wouldn’t be excited to brag about these little gems?

 

“Teacher song?” Haha sneaked closer to Ji hyo and he was so happy. He handed her a pack then scrambled back to the practice. She looked inside the curious package and saw Haroro-shaped cookies on a cute little bag, a thermos of hot ginger tea with lemon and a little note that says: please get well soon -- <3

 

When Ji hyo looked up to her students, they were all smiling at her and Ji hyo gratefully thanked everyone. She even gave Jong kook a look that screamed:my students make me so proud I’m gonna cry. He nodded with a chuckle and resumed cleaning his balls… he was actually pretty obsessed about it and Ji hyo momentarily thought that Jong kook must really love teaching… and keeping his students fit and alert for him to polish and clean lovingly every single volley ball, basket ball, baseball and other stuff this gym has every weekends since it looked like a routine to him.

 

The practice ended with Ji hyo and Jong kook sitting on the grounds clapping their hands to the rhythm, Yonghwa is strumming his guitar, Changmin and Xiumin are drumming their chopsticks on empty water bottles, the other have gathered stuff they used to produce sound -- bottles, cups, a book, the triangle Jong kook uses to announce the time-- it was honestly the best and most inspiring music Ji hyo has ever heard. Then everyone is singing along the closing song.  And it was perfect. A perfect ending to remind everyone about the past, about the history… and the essence of this play.

 

Cause we could only learn,

Repay the past by moving on,

Don’t be sad; don’t have a heavy heart…

We’ve grown so much, had braved the future,

The present is here, the future unknown, the past maybe unkind…

But what we are, we owe to history,

What we could be, we owe to present,

Because the past and the present is our future…

 

---/:::::/---

 

“Noona…” Kyung soo looked teary-eyed as he scooped rice into their bowls. Ji hyo could still hear a lot of singing and Inguk seemed to be still training the leads. “You know noona, these kids used to be so rowdy I didn’t know how to entertain them on a Saturday without anyone getting hurt or anything getting destroyed, and now…especially class 2-C boys. They… are so adorable and talented.” Mother Kyungsoo gushed. Jong kook snorted then resumed checking test papers. Ji hyo shared a goofy grin with the cook, a hint of wetness present in her eyes. She couldn’t agree more with Kyung soo because her kids are the best.

 

“Whatever they say, I couldn’t hope for a better first batch of students on my first year of teaching.”

 

“You believe in them noona, that’s why they are starting to ask themselves what it is you see in them. You are good -- damn it Min Min! The steamed buns aren’t even cooked yet!” Kyung soo exclaimed, running after Xiumin and Changmin who managed to stuff themselves full and even steal extras in the kitchen. The three ran around the tables but the rugrats have mastered the disappearing act and Kyung soo doesn’t really exert much effort to catch them. He has a soft spot for those boys and besides, it’s more amusing than harmful.

 

“They are seriously the evil little gods of chaos and mischief!” Kyung soo ranted after failing to catch the twin bun thieves. Ji hyo could only laugh, even Jong kook chuckled. The youngest tried to look horrified that his friends found it amusing instead of taking him seriously, but failed.

 

“But really, noona, when they were in their first year… these kids were the last in everything. You can count in one hand the few people who are fond of them. And some…” his eyes hardened in distaste as he stared at the direction of the classrooms. “Some are too vocal in reminding them of that stupid reputation. I’m glad they have you now noona. Someone who’d take care of them.” Kyung soo smiled at her, the steely gaze gone.

 

“And also because of you, Kyung soo. They love you… even if they show it by stealing your buns.” Jong kook interrupted, to Ji hyo’s surprise because of the emotions lacing those words. A meaningful look passed by the two men. The frown adorning Kyung soo’s face softened and all that was left was fond exasperation and sadness.

 

“Heh, I wish hyung.”

 

“He’s right though, Kyungsoo-yah. The kids here respect you and love you not just because your cooking is delicious. You take care of them like a mother would. What’s wrong anyway? Did something happen?”

 

Kyung soo sighed… then he got even more teary-eyed. “It’s nothing.” he murmured unbelievingly. Jong kook raised his brow and then Kyung soo went spilling. “M-my mom wants to retire… and she wants me to take over the family restaurant. Even if it’s not too far from here... I would have to stay there.”  He takes a moment to swallow and compose himself but he still ended up crying. “I don’t want to leave this place… (sniff) ‘s been home for years.” He looked up desperately at Ji hyo and Jong kook, almost pleading. The two who couldn’t even process yet what the boy is saying was speechless. Because the dorms without Kyungsoo? Especially the kitchen without the dorm mother fussing around, humming and watching out for Min-Min while he cooked?

 

It is unthinkable. Even to Ji hyo who has been there for just a few months.

 

“I really don’t want to leave hyung, noona… even if finally, my family… my parents who seemed to have forgotten me is starting to acknowledge that they have a son named Kyung soo. It’s just…  I grew up working too hard to be worthy of being their heir even if they don’t see me. But now?” he shook his head sadly, “I’d rather be here.”

 

“You can’t leave us!” Changmin and Xiumin shouted out loud behind Ji hyo and Jong kook. They offered the buns to Kyung soowith faces messed up in sauce and their clothes dusty with crumbs. They almost look like they’re going to cry with their silent pleading. Kyung soo wordlessly stood up and hugged the two boys until the three of them are crying messily, the buns forgotten and squashed between them. People started to notice and stopped whatever they are doing. Forks and spoon were dropped as the news spread like wild fire. People came closer, and those who already knew either asked Kyungsoo to stay or just stood there in silent sadness.

 

Ji hyo could not help the tears. The dorms without Kyungsoo would be too silent, too sad. She will miss him, not just the food. This boy she has known for three months had made her laugh the loudest in years. He was the first one to ever make her feel like she is really welcome in this place despite her childhood ties to the school. He is a dear friend who knew how to cheer her up, who cared for her -- she could even say that he was the sibling she never had.

 

Kyung and the students ended up in a dog pile. With Kyung soo sprawled in the floor and the boys in various positionaround him. “I won’t just leave.” Kyung said in between sniffs.

 

“Of course you can’t just leave us!” the students echoed around him, especially the two Mins who clung to Kyung soo hard. “But guys, I have to visit my family for a while…”

“But what if they keep you?”

“Right! What if they lock you up and we don’t see you again?”

 

The kids who were silently staring decided to join in. The two other adults could only watch and Kyung soo couldn’t help a laugh despite his situation. He messed up the hair of everyone he could reach. He would have hugged and kissed the boys and they would let him but Kyung soo gave them a reassuring smile instead. “If any of those ridiculous things ever happen to me, then you guys can go rescue me. I’d find a way to stay kids. Don’t worry.” The kids still looked upset but Kyung soo glared at them until they loosened up. “Now,please don’t waste the food and go back to your dinner!” they finally listened to him and reluctantly let go, except Xiumin and Changmin.

 

“Kyung soo-ma, promise us that you wouldn’t leave. When I graduate I will train to be a chef and I will cook with you!” Xiumin exclaimed to which Changmin added, “and I will become the best baker here in Korea. I will make desserts and stay in the kitchen with you and Xiumin forever.”Changmin nodded to the other boy and both said together at the same time, “we won’t ever steal your buns again. Even if we get so hungry... just don’t leave us. Please?”

 

The two daredevils stared at Kyungsoo willing him to promise it. They ended up on his sides, hugging his waist. His back is already complaining but he couldn’t care. He nodded sincerely and raised his pinkie to the boys. “I promise.” It seemed good enough since the two let go, hooked their pinkies with Kyung soo and stood up to offer hands to their favorite cook.

 

“Those little devils…” Kyung soo whispers with so much fondness that it leaves a painful tug at Ji hyo’s heart. “The two of them… are orphans and what’s left of their families thought they could just put them into boarding schools to raise themselves. Xiumin was only six when he’s shipped to a boarding school. Changmin was in foster homes until they’ve tracked his uncle who reluctantly accepted custody but placed the boy in boarding school as soon as he could. Changmin was ten back then and had stayed in 7 families before he’s found… I would have adopted them if I have my own house and give them a family…”

“Hey Kyung soo, you already did that. Don’t be blind and stupid.”

 

Ji hyo looked at Jong kook and why is her heart desperate to crumble tonight?

 

 “Many of us have built a home here Kyung soo, together. Please don’t forget that.”  Jong kook says with a small smile. They began to eat dinner. It was a very silent affair. Each of them reflecting about homes, about their family and what RM High means to them.

 

JI hyo looks up at the kids. There was no more singing but she could see the closeness she didn’t notice before between the students. They have this silent, beautiful interaction with each other that is not obvious at all but it is there. They are brilliant kids and Ji hyo would repeat that everytime she could because it is the truth.

 

She also glanced at Kyung soo and Jong kook. Two grown men who ended up here after losing things… Jong kook, an orphan himself, and Kyung soo, the unrecognized son, both knew what the other is feeling. And Ji hyo… had never been gladder that she chased a promise with a boy and met all these beautiful people. She loves her mom and dad to death and they have given her everything. But these people? They made Ji hyo see what she had and how to appreciate it.

 

“Noona, I’m not going to disappear if you lose sight of me. Eat before everything’s too cold then take your meds.”

“I’m not staring Kyungie.”

“As you say noona.” The little says with a grin. The food is really incredible and Ji hyo vowed to let Kyung soo know that every time she could. Ji hyo had found another home and a family of misfits. And she is happier than she had been for a long time.

 



I really love the other minor characters in this fic. I included idols and actors from things I've watched so I know very little about them… if the personality is different I apologize, they came to life like that and I don’t really know how it happened. There are also a bit of but nothing too graphic.Let me know if you are not comfortable about that and I will try do do something or put warnings on the start of the chaps. I hope you enjoyed the story. Thank you for reading ^^

P.S. I was supposed to update yesterday but I was so unlucky. I was late for thirty mins coz I can't fined a ride, then the shop near the terminal won't let me open AFF then I transferred to the one near our house but it's jam-packed >~< I promise to update onse a week but there's no def. day for that. I apologize for making everyone wait and sory for the rant. Thanks again!