RM-ABS 23

Running Man All Boys School

Kim Jong kook could describe himself as someone who likes the gym, likes healthy food and he fears getting ill -- hence the active lifestyle.  He is also aware of his many issues and how poorly he handles it (mainly by literally working out on it). He also knows that his friends’ (Kyung soo, Jaesuk and recently, Ji hyo) advice sometimes make sense but it’s just so hard to believe that someone like him would deserve -- the PE teacher sighs in defeat. He is doing it again. He is looking down on himself again but he couldn’t help it.

 

Just how can one stop seeing himself as more than what he has believed all his life?

 

He always copes by thinking of the worst to lessen the disappointment. Or he could just not think about it. Pretend it is not there by simply ignoring it until the illusions become real enough.

 

Kim Jong kook rummages through his mind and thinks of some more words to describe himself. It could be anything actually but not ‘foolish’. He knew for a fact -- and is proud of admitting this even if just secretly -- that he likes someone. More than he likes Kyung soo who is seriously the ultimate best friend anyone could ever hope for. And of course more than he liked Jaesuk who at first acted as if he and Jong kook were close until one day they did ended up as close friends -- as close as Jong kook would let others which is not much but still--

 

He’s still very royally screwed. Because the other person who’s getting closer to him is a her… and that leaves a lot of possibilities he doesn’t even want to consider. Not that he couldn’t consider those options with the gender he belongs into, he just prefers the other team.

 

And because he is screwed anyway and he couldn’t just ignore the person he likes, he does the next best thing he could. He ignores the emotions and tingly fluttery sensations and stays close. Since it’s not like he’d ever have the courage to admit this entire internal monologue today, he might as well just enjoy whatever he could without getting engaged in the messy feely side of stuff. No thanks, but Jong kook is fine this way and if not… well, he would someday (and because Ji hyo would never like him too).

 

Jong kook sighs again in utter defeat. He’d be okay but he is not looking forward the road to okay-dom.

 

---/:::::/---

 

Ji hyo could finally feel the delayed hangover her activity last night promised. It finally emerged as soon as she stepped in the classroom. The whole class was busy chattering which sounds more like everyone’s shouting at the top of their lungs when the person they’re talking with is within kissing distance. She also noticed several empty seats.

 

“Sorry teacher, we’re late!” shouted a couple of boys who rushed eagerly into their place. Ji hyo tried to chase away the sickness and stop herself from shouting back. Then blessedly, the quiet came. She smiles in relief and drops her things on the desk, making it obvious that she’s not feeling well.

 

“Teacher? Are you okay?” Taemin in front asks.

 

“Yeah, I could use some more snooze but I’m fine.” And as if that was a cue that everything is fine and normal, the noise was back full blast. “Hey! Why are you so noisy?” Ji hyo counters back to the noise. A very loud chorus of sorry echoed making her wince.

 

 Ji hyo loved her kids but right now, she just wants to stay away from them as far as she could. “I’m a little off class. So I hope you could tone down your voices into like zero?” Some kids chuckled but it was quiet again so it was okay. “Since I know you’re all still hyped up with the excitement last night -- hep! We’d take turns talking, me first -- all right, so we’d do some sharing today. I will give everyone the chance to talk about anything, though I’d prefer something we can relate to our recent activity. Max is five minutes, min is 2 minutes. If the story is interesting and you can’t cram it into five, we’d give considerations. Is that a deal?” the class started to speak in unison but quickly zipped it as Ji hyo’s obvious frown became murderous. Instead, everyone raised thumbs up.

 

“Okay, we start at the front row… first person on the right. Start.” She takes a seat at an empty chair at the back to encourage the speaker and also to make sure no one sees how miserable she is. Gary was the first to stand and he looks shyly around the classroom.

 

“I uhh... I’m not good at talking.” his classmates protests good naturedly and quietly, aware of Ji hyo’s icy aura radiating from the back. “I’m not good at talking because I couldn’t always make people get what I really mean. And I was thinking… last night during the play. I wrote stuff and looking at how it played out… I think I found my canvass, my medium and I am thankful for discovering that some meanings aren’t only through speaking… it could also be through other stuff. So last night was unexpected but very welcome.” He heaves, like chasing after his breathing then drops red face to his chair. Everyone claps.

 

“You we’re talk-rapping! Awesome!” his seatmate Haha announced, hitting his classmate hard on the back. The smaller boy eagerly stood up for his turn.

“I like to dance and last night was the best day of my life. I also like the sound of ‘DJ Haha’ and thank you everyone for supporting me. Please wait three more years for my album but you can now fall in line for my autograph, for a measly fee of being my fan forever!” Haha bows cheerfully and Ji hyo could see a big potential in him, in comedy. “Haha-yah? That’s less than two minutes.” the teacher announces.

 

“Oh, sorry ma’am. My talent fee is very expensive and everyone’s booking me so I--” In guk grabbed the smaller boy’s collar and glared at Haha before the class president looked meaningfully at the masking tape on the desk. Haha wisely shuts up. “Sorry Ma’am, I had to remind Haha that it’s okay to talk for just exactly two minutes.” In guk says genially before going back to his place.

 

“I think five minutes is very short…” Joong ki starts, looking thoughtfully so serious. “Teacher Song, last night was creatively wonderful for an artist but it is horrifyingly inaccurate for academes. I know the audience enjoyed the show but I can’t help but worry… what if wrong information spreads?” Joongki paled at the thought but remained standing to prove his point. Ji hyo herself is a historian but she is not offended at all at the insinuation that she would let people be misinformed. She smiles shrewdly at the young genius. “Calm down Joong ki, what exactly did we say last night that isn’t true?” she asks. The boy stills, everyone manages another level of more quiet that she could almost hear the gears in the genius’ head turning.

 

“Another question Mr. Joongki, I want to know if we announced a false date, a wrong name, missed on a character… did we not base the dialogues on hearsays and rumors circling the palace? On scholars’ who weren’t even born in that period? On a personal diary of a woman who has an opinion for everything. Didn’t one historian open a line on his book like this: it was believed…

 

“Last night is accurate and the interpretation of it is very sound.” The kid smiles as if relieved and takes a sit. “Mr. Song, I thought five minutes is not enough?” Ji hyo jokes as the class nervously chuckles.

 

“Oh, when the wise speaks, a few words suffice a second weighing more than an hour. I think I have nothing to talk about now my wisest, dear teacher.” The student says with a flourish, his eyes twinkling in amazement at the female teacher he loved to challenge. Gwang soo coughs in annoyance beside the genius and the whole class claps.

 

“I liked the dress… I mean my role.” Taemin groans when his classmates catcall at him. Jokwon shouts lovingly, “go sis and be proud!” To the laughter of everyone. “I always hated being called pretty and girly... but I think I am beautiful and being feminine or male doesn’t matter. I matter… I uhh, wouldn’t mind being called pretty anymore even if some people are very annoying. I think I am blessed with these looks.” It was under minutes but no one pushes the pretty boy who drops in his seat with a much crimsonized face. Ji hyo was actually a bit worried about his oxygen levels…

 

“I want to be an actor! When I graduate I will be the best.” Gwang soo announces noisily and with enthusiasm that is more serious than Haha’s but not any less funny.

 

“You can me my side kick Gwang soo-yah! We can be the next comedy duo!” the other comedian in the making counters.

 

“I want to be an actor! A serious one! I won’t stand with you on comedy bars Donghoon!”

 

“Wow you’re already amazing at punch lines.” the other retorts.

 

The tallest boy sputters, looks betrayed like everyone had just chewed and spit his favorite food in front of him. His eyes lands on Joong ki and the normally stone faced genius was chuckling. Gwang soo stops breathing for a while and he leans closer to hear more of that quiet laughter. But before he could have his fill of the shorter boy’s laugh, the genius looks up and smiles at him. “You can be whatever you want Gwang soo-yah.”

 

Gwang soo drops to his seat as he smothers a smile and tries to maintain his pout. Maybe comedy could work. He’d rather see smiling people than crying ones anyway.

 

“I think the way Yi san revenged for his father is admirable. He wanted to prove to people that his father suffered wrongly by being a king who wanted good things for his people. I just admire him, because he didn’t let revenge rule his life. He chased after clearing his father’s name but he didn’t forget his people… I guess that’s all…” Myung soo says during his turn.

 

“I got new friends. I also learned that the rumors from the other class were wrong. They don’t really hate class two C. some of them were awfully nice and I feel bad for ignoring them before.”

 

“I miss Kyung soo-ma!” Xiumin cries and sits down. Ji hyo did not push. No one minded. Changmin stands up next, but before he could say anything, he breaks down and cries so he sits down too and huddles closer to the other Min.  Everyone just pretended that there weren’t any boys hugging and sobbing in the middle of the class right at that moment.

 

In guk shakes his head looking at his classmate but confidently stands for his turn. “Leading is natural for me. But it is exhausting sometimes. It is nice to see my classmate lead for once. Even if I am the overall director, I learned to delegate tasks and trust my people. That way, everyone could see to one specific task and do it well. It was enlightening to follow and watch others for a change. I really wanted to thank everyone for the cooperation and unexpected things we all discovered all throughout the play. I am proud to be your leader.” he even does mock bows and his classmates cheer. Ji hyo smiles, her headache gone by the time everyone was finished talking.

 

The school bell rings and Ji hyo’s smile turns into a devilish grin. Her students taught themselves today and she gets to rest. And who says students are the only one who loves to hear those beautiful ringing chimes?

 

---/:::::/---

 

Ji hyo rushed to the dorms with their head chef in tow. Since Ji hyo and her Pa are both in school, the man followed them to make sure both Cheons are eating well. Ji hyo doesn’t doubt that with Jong kook and the scholars, they can fill in Kyung soo’s shoes fine but even her acknowledges that the kids didn’t really need to develop eating habits similar to hers. Or torture them with Jong kook’s too healthy ones. The recipes Kyung soo developed are easy enough… but why say no to free help?

 

When they arrived at the kitchen dorms, chef Jung took a five minute tour, checked Kyung soo’s notebook and looked at the stocks. Then he nodded in approval which was a big deal and Ji hyo couldn’t wait to tell Kyung soo. Chef Jung heads three of their family hotels’ restaurants resulting in the chef and her Pa working closely. Slowly, the chef started to include their estate in his charge and saw to it that the family is fed properly. He still has his army of apprentice that he manages remotely, choosing to stay closer to the family instead of staying at the hotels.

 

“So chef… what do you think?”

 

“I would be pleased to meet the young chef of the dorms. This is very fine.” Ji hyo smiled happily. She couldn’t wait to introduce the two. Even if Kyung soo’s family visit goes south, maybe acknowledgement from a 5-star hotel chef will lift up his moods a little.

 

“Oh, and chef I will try to help with my co-teacher Mr. Kim and two other working scholars. If it’s okay? We promised our friend to take care of the kids.”

 

“Of course Ms. Cheon. it’s not a problem.”

 

The man was trained in famous Italian restaurants all over Seoul but Ji hyo never really saw him in hell-kitchen-mode Italian chefs are famous for. Soon they fell into an easy rhythm. Ji hyo took care of the soup, again, Taecyon and Changmin the second took care of peeling and chopping. They were half-way in cooking when Kim Jong kook arrived in his sweatpants, trainers and too small black shirt. As soon as the chef saw him, the cook immediately stiffened and wrinkled his nose in disgust.

 

It didn’t escape Ji hyo’s notice that the chef was very displeased.  She immediately pulled Jong kook out of the kitchen, telling everyone that she is looking for something Kyung soo left for them. Thankfully, the PE teacher followed without a fuss. When they were out of sight, Ji hyo turned back to glare at the man. “What were you thinking?” The infuriating man just raised his brows confusedly at her question. It would have been cute in another occasion but now, it just made Ji hyo annoyed for no reason.

 

“Ms. Song, I really don’t know why you’re being irrational. Or why is there a strange man cooking in the kitchen when you and I were supposed to take care of Kyung soo’s responsibilities. Especially since taking over for him is your idea.” The PE teacher said nonchalantly, raising Ji hyo’s annoyance level into dangerous levels. “Why are you so cranky Ms. Song?” he adds and Ji hyo didn’t think first before letting her fist fly, which the PE teacher unfortunately caught.

 

“Calm down Ji hyo. I’m sorry if I said those stuff that way… but I really don’t know why you dragged me out as if I did something wrong. Please don’t be mad.”

 

Ji hyo strangely melted a bit at those sincere words, especially at the apology. Her fists relaxed, still held by Jong kook. “I’m sorry too if I uhh didn’t tell you. Our chef from the estate arrived about two hours ago. He said he has no one to cook for and nag at home so he came here. I told him about our arrangement and he wanted to help. So we ended up in the kitchen. As for the dragging you out… he is a professional chef in a five star hotel.” she looked at his get up and a light of understanding passed Jong kook’s face.

 

“So the apron joke wasn’t really a joke huh?”

 

“Nope, it really is not and all of them are pink and frilly… especially the hairnet… and no clothes you use for rolling around gym mats.”

 

“I don’t roll in gym mats.”

 

“Well, would you eat something exposed to teenaged sweat?” Both teachers paused a moment to imagine sweaty boys rolling in musty gym mats and shuddered. Jong kook looked especially pale. “I am a disgusting human.” he says in surrender making Ji hyo laugh hard.

 

Jong kook looks at her with a small smile. Ji hyo’s irritation is gone having not survived Jong kook, replaced by amusement and wonder. How can a grown up man be so clueless sometimes?

 

“Go on and change if you don’t want to cook wearing only aprons. You have the frying duty so if you don’t want those muscles extra crispy, better wear something appropriate.” she says as she pushes the man away who only laughs at her. Batting her hand away half heartedly. “If I knew better Ms. Song, you just want to see me wearing aprons only.” he retorts before he could stop himself. Jong kook stops and curses himself for being too comfortable, a sorry already on it’s way before Ji hyo decides to really hit him but surprisingly, Ji hyo grins back.

 

“Of course I would like that Mr. Kim. Kyung soo demanded it and because he is my favorite, how can I not comply?” her confidence and dry humor knocked Jong kook, as they say, like a wrecking ball. He raised his hand and shook his head in defeat, a playful smile tugging at his lips. “Ok, I’m sorry for being an idiot. Please don’t sell me out in aprons.”

 

Enjoying the easy banter, Jong kook took the stairs up to their quarters with an extra bounce in his steps. well, he didn’t forget to also scold his brain for not thinking clearly and seeing the obvious because it’s more excited to process Ji hyo thoughts (how could he think of bringing in teenaged sweat flavor in the kitchens?!) He dressed in record time and looked forward to more time cooking with Ji hyo.

 

“You are so screwed you big idiot.” he tells himself, but still stays in-like with her.


Sometimes I imagine these two adorable people bantering and ending up annoying each other but the next minute they'd be flirting I mean, chatting and chuckling at each other as if they have their own world. And I seriously think Ji hyo is the type who would sometimes rebel harmlessly on the job -- like giving out seatworks when she's feeling lazy XD

Hope you enjoy the chapter and SpartAce's developing partnership which I really love and admire in this pair.