RM-ABS 32

Running Man All Boys School

Ji hyo almost squeaked when she felt a presence behind her. She turned abruptly, sending pencils clattering and papers flying while she wondered how she didn’t realize that she’s not alone anymore in the previously empty faculty room. “Hey Pa,” she greeted her old man with a relieved smile. Ji hyo’s no coward but she’s also not a fan of ghosts.

 

“Working hard dearest?” Sanggu teases her knowingly, mischief brewing in his warm, brown eyes. “I don’t think I forgot to announce that classes were cancelled until the end of intramurals.” Cheon Sanggu thought out loud displaying a blank, confused expression that Ji hyo knows she’s also sporting.

 

“I’m just… preparing lesson plans and studying manuscripts. Why are you here Pa?”

 

“You’re a workaholic -- to help your mind focus Seung Im-ah. So I wonder what’s bothering my only daughter?” the older Cheon asks softly. He sat beside Ji hyo and peeked at her computer displaying a year’s worth of outlines. There were also some spreadsheets about Cheon Empires’ timelines and launchings. Sanggu fixed Ji hyo a fatherly but concerned look. “You are very bothered.” he concludes.

 

Knowing she’s discovered, Ji hyo started to save and close her work. “I guess I am Pa. I’m not even sure why I am like this,” she says her words laced with controlled frustration. Sanggu waited, letting his daughter gather her thoughts. She sighed and looked at Sanggu dejectedly. The older Cheon hated seeing her like this but even if he could tell Ji hyo the whys -- he'd never been a coddler and spoon-feeder; barring some special occasions.

 

“I was asked… to the ball Pa.” she continues. “By the whole school actually. It was sort of hilarious but I didn’t say yes to anyone of course… I even thought of it as a joke. I mean, it’s for the kids so why would I need someone and there’s you if I needed company. And then uhh… until this one…” she scrunches her nose and stops -- as if she just couldn’t put her thoughts into words anymore.

 

“So you planned to go to the ball alone.” Sanggu finishes for her. Ji hyo nods, her face reddening slightly. “Oh, and then you got asked and while it’s very easy to turn down the whole school, you couldn’t say no to this particular person. So the man who asked you made you feel bothered.”

 

Ji hyo nods eagerly. “Yeah... that happened but I don’t know… a lot asked, I even joked about going with Kyung. I mean I’m a teacher. The ball isn’t about me so it doesn’t, shouldn’t matter. I just have to attend and supervise the kids… or if I go with another teacher, it’s nothing, just attending together so I… what’s wrong with me Pa?”

 

Cheon Sanggu couldn’t help tearing up at seeing his young, fine daughter struggle with her first love. It was cute and as much as he would love to discuss feelings with her, he also knew that she should work it out on her own. He just smiled warmly at Ji hyo, offering her what he could instead. “You know dear, it’s not just for the kids but for everyone to catch a break. Why don’t you let me take you out tomorrow? You can skip a few games and shop with your old man if you want a more enjoyable distraction.”

 

“I… okay Pa. Buy me samgyupsal and lots of ice cream and new shirts. And I want new running shoes! Oh and I wanna see X-Men.”

 

“Of course dear. I’d buy you anything that will make you happy.”

 

“Aw Pa, but I’m always happy when I’m with you.” She says lovingly, taking her things and hooking her free arm around her Pa’s waist. Sanggu looked at her daughter, surprised at the quick vision that flashed through his mind.

 

She looked like a goddess, was even more beautiful than her mother. She clung tight in his arms, her eyes lit up brightly even if there was a hint of nervousness in her smile. They walked the carpeted aisle slowly; unaware of the world around them -- as if time has stopped. She’s wearing a simple white dress and her mother’s necklace. She’s just so happy, full of life and smiles. There was music but all he could hear was her laughs.

 

“Pa?”

 

In a flash Sanggu was back into reality. They were walking the cold hard floor of the faculty, not a carpeted aisle. Ji hyo’s not wearing any dress but her usual black pants and button down shirt. There was no singing but faraway, indistinguishable voices… and her eyes were dim with worry. He smiles and half hugs her. “It’s okay, I just remembered,” (saw your wedding), “something.” (I want to see that for real, want to walk you up the aisle. Want to see you so happy.)

 

She looked disbelievingly at Sanggu. He scoffs fondly at that and they walk faster. “I remember your ma (a half truth) she looked beautiful in a gown and I imagined you in one... you haven’t really attended any of my formal galas so it was ages since I last saw you dressed up Ji hyo.” she tightens her arms around her father and asks no more to which the chairman was grateful for.

 

The father and daughter duo went outside to the fields, catching up some late games. At the end of the night, Sanggu drops of Ji hyo in front of the dorms. She tiptoes up to give him a kiss on the cheek and a big hug. On the corner of his eye, Sanggu sees Jong kook looking at them. He nods at the younger man and releases his daughter.

 

---/:::::/---

 

“Ji hyo dear,” Sanggu says, collapsing on the 18th chair for the day, unsure whether to be horrified or amused at how indecisive Ji hyo is being. They have scoured at least two dozen shops but the kid still couldn’t find a gown for the ball.

 

He decided to ignore his aching feet and looked around hoping to see the gown that will end his suffering. Looking at the choices, he could understand why Ji hyo couldn’t choose anything. They all look… wrong. Too stiff, too formal, sophisticated -- yes, if you’re a middle aged wife with kids, but not for an all boys school ball which will probably turn into a club scene before midnight. Hundreds of energetic boys and Gangnam bred DJs will guarantee that. Sanggu sighed, left the store and looked around.

 

“Pa? Are you okay?” Ji hyo asks, feeling guilty for dragging her father around the mall. She followed his gaze and grins. “You’re the best Papa in the whole galaxy!”

 

Ji hyo and Sanggu grins similarly, leaves the expensive store and crosses the street into a small, quiet boutique. He sits immediately at the waiting bench and watches Ji hyo squeal at the merchandise. She tries on different outfits and ends up buying some more casual clothing. Sanggu thought Jong kook is a very lucky man for his daughter to actually want to dress up for. Ji hyo always looks nice and proper but only when needed, for her to want to look really good… is a big thing.

 

“What do you think Pa?” Ji hyo asks, breaking his thoughts. Sanggu looks up at Ji hyo and loses his ability to speak. Sanggu’s breath caught and for a moment, he thought he was looking at his wife.

 

“You look so beautiful, a really beautiful woman.” Ji hyo looks at him and smiles sadly. Probably knowing his thoughts. They took the dress and two more bags of clothing. Ji hyo then drags Sanggu again, this time to a restaurant. Then Ji hyo decides to burn the feast they ate (they ordered enough to feed a family of five) through more shopping. The chairman indulges his daughter with fond exasperation.

 

Sanggu and Ji hyo was very tired after a whole day at the shopping district but they had so much fun. Sanggu provided Ji hyo with funny commentaries. There were a lot of quirked brows and are-you-sure-expressions. And Ji hyo loved to tease the old man with her wild tastes in clothes, buying a lot of superhero and anime shirts, ragged pants (“Ji hyo are you sure these are for sale and not sewn scraps?”) and caps, tons of caps with monsters and weird patterns and running shoes.

 

On their way back to the school, Ji hyo inched closer to Sanggu, slipping under his arm and half hugging, half hiding on her Father. “Pa?” she mumbles.

 

“Yes dear?”

“Thank you for shopping with me today. I had fun.”

“I had fun too and I’m glad even though my feet don’t agree much.” Ji hyo chuckles at his reply and she buries her face deeper on his shirt. “Pa?”

 

“Yes dear?”

A lot of silence followed and the tension climbed. Ji hyo tightened her grip around Sanggu and if not for the vibrations in his shirt, Sanggu wouldn’t have noticed that Ji hyo is mumbling.

 

“… Pa I think I really, really like someone.” She finally blurts out then all the tension bleeds out her body, slumping against Sanggu as if the confession took a lot from her and it probably did. She separates her face from his shirt and looks up at her father with uncertainty and a dash of fear in her eyes. How he wished he knew the best thing to say, or what to do but he could only listen.

 

“Does he make you happy?” he asks after a long bout of silence.

 

Ji hyo scrunches her nose cutely reminding her of the kid she was before. And now she’s all grown up and in love.

 

“It’s different when I’m with him. But…”

“You like spending time and doing things with him dearest?” Ji hyo nods shyly, and Sanggu smiles. “Then my angel, my dearest daughter… do not be afraid to like him. You’re too loveable to resist. And if ever, your Papa will always be here for you.”

 

Ji hyo smiles, the fear still in there but there’s more excitement, hope and conviction in her expression. She buries her face in his shirt again and burrowed. Sanggu didn’t even have to hear the words she was mumbling to know that she’s saying. I love you Pa…thank you.

 

---/:::::/---

 

Ji hyo watched the video then steeled herself for the task at hand. She obediently followed the steps but cringed at the results. Frustrated, Ji hyo peeked at the clock and cursed colorfully. She has less than two hours before the ball. Abandoning the make-up tutorials she hurried to the bathroom and washed her face.

 

A knock interrupts Ji hyo’s internal cursing about make-up and how her night is slowly getting ruined. “Who’s that?” she shouts at the direction of incessant knocks, closing the faucet in a hurry.

 

“This is the chairman’s secretary.”

 

“What are you doing here?” Ji hyo exclaims as she opens the door. The other woman rushes inside all business like, bringing in a box of what looks like was a professional make-up box.

 

“Your father sent me.” the secretary said, like it was just a normal, everyday task. She immediately commandeered Ji hyo’s room, a scary whirlwind of professionalism and efficiency. Ji hyo’s secretly glad that her Pa has someone like her. After an hour, Ji hyo saw a familiar stranger at the mirror looking back at her.

 

Ji hyo stares and blinks, convincing herself that she it was her reflection. Ji hyo grabs her phone and texts her father a short thanks.

 

---/:::::/---

 

Fifteen minutes before the ball, Jong kook nervously left his room. Kyung soo was already in his all black attire watching TV but quickly turns at the sound of the door closing. “Oh wow hyung, congratulations for finding a tux!” the younger man grins at the confusion in Jong kook’s face. Then the boy lifts his arms and flexes mockingly.

 

Jong kook realizes the joke and glares. “Hyung can you please grab that bowl?” Kyung soo says, pointing at the bowl at the overhead shelf on Jong kook’s left. Jong kook automatically extends his hand towards the highest shelf without thinking. Until the too tight jacket he’s wearing reached its stretch limit and stops Jong kook. He slowly turns and glares at Kyung soo who was laughing silently.

 

“Kyung soo--”

 

Jong kook smelled flowers, fresh and clean with a hint of sweetness then heard a familiar sound. The tip tap noise a woman’s heels make that reminds him of his mother’s love for stilettos. On a distance Kyung soo chokes on his laughter while Jong kook braced himself before facing his date tonight.

 

But nothing could ever prepare him at the sight of Ji hyo shyly but confidently standing in a dress that looked like it was designed for her. The dark floral dress hugged her figure like second skin, the bulk of the long flowing skirt was artfully arranged, revealing too much but also too little. She was stunning. So perfect. She made Jong kook forget, and want to stay, to hold, cherish and love her as long as his remaining days on earth. Jong kook loves her so much.

 

“Wow noona!” Jong kook heard the boy but with Ji hyo looking at him uncertainly, it was like they have their own bubble where only they exist. He smiles, walking towards the woman he loved. Jong kook offers her his hand which she takes both of them pretending that an electrical current sparked as their hands touched.

 

“You look so beautiful tonight…” Jong kook whispers, “my princess.” and just like that the uncertainty in Ji hyo’s eyes vanish, replaced by happiness and for a moment, Jong kook almost believed that she likes him too more than just her friend and colleague. But before he could be sure, Kyung soo was pushing them to the door, saying something about the time.

 

 

The ball was already starting when Ji hyo and Jong kook arrived. The school choir was singing the school anthem so no one paid the tardy couple any attention. Ji hyo and Jong kook slipped quietly into their assigned table, their hands still clasping each other. Ji hyo’s father was already at the table, and he gave Ji hyo a big smile, and Jong kook got the protective father glare. Suk Jin and Jae suk who brought their wives all smiled at them, though Jaesuk’s and Suk Jin’s matching grins were teasing. Mr. Hyunbin was also there, alone and looking disappointed not that Ji hyo noticed because she was busy stealing glances at Jong kook.

 

Ji hyo has long learned to ignore looks pointed at her and the crowd, growing up as the Cheon heiress but despite that, Jong kook’s gaze was different. She felt like Ms. Universe the way he looks at her. He was very attentive, his eyes and focus only at her. Ji hyo was surprised to find that she liked it a lot… loved having his attention… liked being called princess… liked him a lot.

 

The thought made her blush but the ongoing program saved her from the awkwardness that could’ve ensued.

 

The announcement of winners from the whole week long of intramurals commenced after the opening program. Ji hyo watched her kids proudly as they bag a few gold medals and a lot of silvers. They got the first runner up placing a spot after the seniors to the juniors’ disappointment. Ji hyo found herself ushered to the stage with Jong kook and the other second year coaches together with the student leaders to accept the overall placement award -- garnering the loudest cheer yet, that night.

 

“Hey, I know you’re not interested to hear me. You guys aren’t even looking at me right now, I’m sure.” In guk started, waiting for a minute for the noise to subside before continuing, “I just want to thank all my batch mates for working hard and not making trouble (he glares at the students from class 2-C). Teacher Song, Teacher Kim our dorm parents and our supportive coaches, who trained and challenged us to test our limits, thank you. To everyone, I hope we come out of this stronger and not let anything destroy our friendships. Thank you everyone!” In guk raised the silver trophy and the whole auditorium exploded into chanting Song Ji hyo.

 

Dinner was served and after a few minutes the lights on the impromptu dance floor dimmed. Loud yells and excited cheers echoed at the auditorium. On the corner a spotlight revealed Ji hyo’s favorite DJ from Gangnam. Ji hyo squeals excitedly while Jong kook watched contently, happy to see this side of her.

 

“Oppa, are you done eating?” she asks, looking at his plate, which was already clean, and then she drags him to the dance floor. Students were already dancing to the beat but respectfully cleared a spot for the teachers. Still, Jong kook couldn’t help but hover protectively. It was a little awkward at first but gradually become easier. It doesn’t even matter what steps he’s doing because everyone’s just in the mood to celebrate.

 

Before long, Jong kook found himself enjoying, brushing unnecessarily and staying close to Ji hyo. The kids were not really even dancing, just moving and fooling around. Some married folks were littering the sides. But his eyes were only on her. When he noticed her sweating, her moves slowing down despite the fast paced beat, Jong kook gently tugs at her for a break. They went to the refreshment tables, getting drinks as they watched people from a corner.

 

“Are you tired Ji hyo yah?” he half shouts, leaning closer but fails to hear her answer.

 

“Do you want to step out for a while oppa?” Ji hyo asked louder. It was really hard to talk so he just nods. They treaded the familiar pathways to their garden (Jong kook’s not really sure when it became theirs). The cool evening breeze was a welcome reprieve from the heat and energy of the auditorium, and the silence was also a nice addition.

 

The two drifted to silence but the stillness was pregnant with tension. Ji hyo sat down on the bench, looking at the moon. Jong kook followed suit but only looked at her. “Are you okay Ji hyo-yah?” he asks, touching her hand a little but withdrawing right away even if he really wants to hold her hand more.

 

“I’m fine… but I, uhh… have a question.”

“What is it?” and Jong kook’s breathe stutters as she looks at him. Why is she afraid? Confused/unsure? Hopeful but reluctant… Jong kook looked away, horrified at the realization that he did that to her. That maybe he’s reading this all wrongly and he should just stay as her friend.  What if he’s destroyed everything now?

 

“Hey, oppa…” then she reaches out for his hand. “Please…” she whispers, forcing Jong kook to look at her again and gets shocked at what he sees. “My question oppa… please answer me… truthfully.”

 

Jong kook nods.

 

“Why did you asked me to this dance ball?” she asks in a small voice that Jong kook didn’t like because he hates seeing Ji hyo miserable and sad. And maybe it will break his heart but it was true that he would do anything for her, give her whatever she asked for -- even if she’s asking for his biggest secret and the truth that could hurt him most.

 

“I… please don’t be sad Ji hyo-yah…I know that the first time we met here in this school wasn’t really very smooth. I was a jerk.” she chuckles, warming his heart and giving him strength to continue. “I was a little cold.”

 

“You were really cold, oppa. Not just a little.”

“I know and I apologize.”

“It’s okay Jong kook, oppa. I was annoyed at you too without trying to know you first.”

 

“But you see Ji hyo… I was like that because I was…” Jong kook stilled, staring at Ji hyo before letting out a resigned sigh. “I was an because I didn’t want to like you. Because I was so attracted to you and it was so easy to fall for you. Because when I first saw you, all I could think is that why would a beautiful, intelligent woman waste her time here and in my mind I tried to see your faults... but I couldn’t. Even your bad habits were too adorable to dislike.” Jong kook saw emotions flare in Ji hyo’s eyes. Surprise, realizations… hope -- and maybe he’s mirroring those emotions too, or else he would have already apologized, maybe run…

 

Instead he leaned closer, until she was so close their foreheads were almost pressed together. He dared inch a little bit more before whispering a potion of his secret. “I like you Princess Song Ji hyo,” I love you “Cheon Seung Im...” he confesses, placing a chaste kiss on her cheek, lingering a little to feel her smooth, warm skin against his lips. Inhaling the scent of flowers and talcum powder as if engraving it all to his memory. Then he lets his head rest on her shoulder, taking all the closeness he could.

 

“That’s why I asked you to this ball, Ji hyo-yah. Because I want to; I like you…”  

 

I love you…


Sorry for the late update. I was a little loaded at work and I got a bad case of colds and headaches from coughing to much. I hope I did justice to this chap, please excuse horrible grammar, I feel a bit messed up. I couldn't resist teasing JK though, we all know that he couldn't raise that arm or he'll rip his coat lol. Hope you enjoy reading :-)

Oh and I was thinking that Ji hyo wore this dress (credits to the site) : http://1.soompi.io/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/song-ji-hyo-2.jpg

song-ji-hyo-2.jpg