RM-ABS 24

Running Man All Boys School

Sometimes a perfectly normal day is boring.

 

Ji hyo and Jong kook together with the chef and the working scholars had fallen into an easy routine. It felt at times surreal. Like they have done this for a long time when in truth, it had been only two days since Kyung has left. It left Ji hyo looking forward to the activity. She’s even looking forward to doing this permanently with Kyung soo if it’s okay with the dorm mother.

 

But Ji hyo could only look forward to cooking since she is a teacher first before a part time cook. She stared at the freshly graded papers with a sigh. She now wishes she’d been less enthusiastic in finishing work just so she wouldn’t be bored. Around her, students are busy studying/pretending to study/discussing very relevant subject matters. Glancing at the clock a groan escapes her seeing that she still has an hour and a half to burn before she could go back to the dorms unless another teacher would volunteer to watch over the study hall.

 

Seeing that she has nothing to do and no one is in need of tutoring or consultation, Ji hyo took out her rarely used phone. She bought it a year ago but it still looked like it was bought only yesterday. It wasn’t really surprising since the amount of time it was used was between five to ten minutes each day or none at all. She got a laptop for emails and messages… it can even send text and it’s not like she has someone to text or call. Not even her college buddies who were all busy now (Ji hyo pretends she doesn’t like Facebook just so she doesn’t see said college buddies hanging out together at least once a month).

 

Still she remembers installing a game or two in it. Fishing for the slim device she almost flailed when she saw a notice for a message. Ji hyo felt stupid seeing the envelope blinking. She forced to compose herself and not look like a stupid adult who never gets any messages because that’s just pathetic. And please don’t even ask about her phone book -- Ji hyo could proudly say there’s at least a hundred names in there (but only five of those names she’s called and messaged at least ten times).

 

Maybe it is just her Pa or some stupid promo. Or maybe Kyung soo, making her grin. She missed her friend and it would be nice to chat with him to alleviate the boredom she’s feeling. She almost doesn’t mind that she has no one because that’s not true anymore. Ever since she came to Running Man High, she got enough friends and she’s happy now. Not lonely or alone anymore even when sometimes she couldn’t stop thinking of her previous life and why no one seems to like her enough to stick.

 

Ji hyo clicked on the message and her eyes widened almost comically at the message. She immediately dropped the phone in her lap and sweated nervously.

 

Counting from one to ten, Ji hyo flipped the device and peeked at the now dark screen. Opening it the message was still there.

 

Surprisingly there are no detentions today. I’ll be earlier than expected for our cooking duties plenty of time to wear my armor-apron and hair-met.

--K.J.K

 

Ji hyo rubbed her eyes and pinched her cheek but the message stayed and did not disappear. Ji hyo couldn’t remember the last time someone sent her a similar text. A drunken classmate once told her a cat pooped in the bed and said classmate whined a lot and Ji hyo could only politely send desperate advices. She’s certain Jong kook couldn’t be drunk texting her. And how does one reply to that kind of message? What does a normal person do?

 

Ji hyo thought and stressed over what to reply but she couldn’t figure out how. She tried Google but she didn’t like the advices because it sure wouldn’t make her sound stupid but instead make her a pretentious teen who abuses emoticons and aegyo like they need it to live. Just no way would Ji hyo sound like that.

 

Just why is it so hard? Ask her anything and she would simply answer the question. Tell her a statement and she’s speechless. Especially in messages. It was still easier to just talk in person... and maybe that’s why people don’t actually message her. Ji hyo really don’t know what to say so she just stared at the screen. At a loss for what to do, she texted her Pa instead.

 

Pa, how do I reply to people?

--JH

 

The reply was almost immediate. The older Cheon being more tech-savvy than Ji hyo which she didn’t mind until now.

 

What do you mean baby girl? Is this a boy thing?

I never thought this day would come! I’ve been dreading this day since you became a pre-teen :’(

--S. Cheon

 

No!

--JH

 

I never thought a two letter text could sound defensive daughter dear…

--S. Cheon

 

An old friend dropped a message unexpectedly. Just telling me what she’s doing now, she never did it before and it’s been a long time since we saw each other.

-JH

 

My adorable daughter then why don’t you tell her too what you’re doing? Sounds like that friend wants to chat. You’re bored, I could feel it, seems like he is too.

--S. Cheon

 

It’s a she Pa.

--JH

 

Don’t be so defensive my dear, typo always happens in texts. I just forgot the ‘S’.

--S. Cheon

 

Oh… Thanks! Love you Papa.

--JH

 

:-) Anything for you honey! <3

 

Ji hyo fondly smiled at the smiley her Pa sent even if a little bewildered that her father is actually ‘cooler & techier’ than her. Composing a simple and hopefully a not awkward message, she hit send, and then saved Jong kook’s number as she waited (nervously) for his reply.

 

Jong kook almost fell off his chair when his phone gave off a silent ping. He doesn’t have really anyone to text but there’s the occasional messages from colleagues and Dong wan. Right now, he prays silently that this is not anything work related. He peeks at the sender’s name and his grin grows impossibly wide.

 

I’m stuck and bored in the study halls. Might ditch early since I can see Ji Suk Jin-ssi nearby…

--SH

 

Jong kook wasted no time to compose his reply. Grinning like a lunatic, he only wished Ji hyo wouldn’t be scared off by him. because if he couldn’t talk much in front of her without stammering or blushing furiously like a love struck teen, maybe he could at least have a bit of her time through messages.

 

Poor ajusshi… but I’m kinda looking forward to cooking. What are we doing tonight?

--K.J.K.

 

Me too… I’m so bored, wish it’s dismissal time already. I got the soup job like always, doing beef bone soup tonight…

-SH

 

I think your chef doesn’t like me much… looking forward to change that…

-K.J.K

 

That’s impossible lol!

-SH

 

Impossible as in I couldn’t redeem myself anymore?

--K.J.K.

 

No! Hahaha, Chef doesn’t hate you oppa…

--SH

 

He does hate me, seriously!

-K.J.K.

 

I’m sure chef has a dozen tasks for you that only you can do best, oppa…

-SH

 

Really?

-K.J.K.

 

Yep, mainly butchering meat, carrying stuff, our mascot in frilly silly apron!

--SH

 

I can hear your laugh all the way here Ms. Song. It’s not that funny! My only worth is my muscles???

-K.J.K.

 

Don’t worry oppa. You’re also good at grinding pepper with your pinkies and opening cans with your bare hands :-D

--SH

 

Lol Ji hyo, why are you a teacher and not a comedian?

-K.J.K.

 

Ji hyo choked a laugh and coughed terribly. Hacking like a dying human, she straightened up with a furious blush. She didn’t know it would be so easy to text him and she didn’t even have the experience or the practice. She didn’t even have to think. Her replies were miraculously sent just seconds after receiving each his messages. Just how on Earth an exchange with the PE teacher could be so smooth, so natural like this was not the first time they did that?

 

 Looking around her, the students’ attention was all directed at her. She offered a (hopefully) stern look. Some automatically went back to their studies but others grinned back at her. Ji hyo groaned since she could only think of one thing behind those knowing grins. It’s not like she could help her expressions and the undignified sounds she’s making. It is definitely Jong kook’s fault, not that she’d do anything about that or ask him to stop… because she liked it. She does finally understand why some people just won’t stop typing like crazy in their phones.

 

Looking up, Ji hyo notices Mr. Ji walking nearby with his laptop. He seems to be looking for an empty spot to sit on. Ji hyo seeing the opportunity quickly shoved her things into her bag and approached the lost looking teacher, his glasses sliding awkwardly in his too big nose.

 

“Umm, Sir?” Ji hyo looks over her recently vacated seat and nods with a too charming smile. The other teacher sweats visibly and smiles back shyly. His eyes lit up with understanding as he sees the empty spot.

 

“Thank you Ms. Song, but you didn’t have to.”

 

“It’s no problem Sir Suk Jin. Here let me help you…” she took a book from him and walked the older teacher to her previous seat. Once he was settled, Ji hyo smiled even sweeter, until the man was as red as tomatoes. “Sir, I have to take care of… stuff. Woman stuff.” The man squirmed and got even redder, his imagination going wild at the word women. Ji hyo pretended not to notice and continued her (don’t-you-dare-call-it-aegyo) plan. “Can you watch over study time? Please sir?”

 

Ji Suk Jin, poor weak man, nodded even before Ji hyo could finish her request. Ji hyo thanked him profusely before walking out the room quickly. Before the poor victim realized what just happened.

 

Outside the hall, Ji hyo texted Jong kook first.

 

Ji Suk Jin-ssi, covered up for my hall time… will be heading home now…

--SH

 

Ji hyo was about to pocket her phone when she had just realized what she said.

 

Home…

 

A warm fondness bloomed deep in her chest as she realized that she is indeed going home. When she has realized that the dorms is already more than a place to crash, even not wanting to stay there at first because she thought her father is just daring her, she doesn’t know. But it does feel so right. Like she is where she is meant to be with people she likes to be with.

 

No one saw, but Ji hyo practically bounced home, well technically, Mr. Cheon saw through the CCTV he is fiddling with. He didn’t mean too but he had to review the investments of the school especially the security. The older Cheon could only shake his head. “Dear daughter, you’re all grown up now, even have another man now besides your Pa. Just be happy my dearest…”

 

Seeing the big smile on her daughter’s face and that twinkle in her eyes, the older man could only start to accept already that soon her baby girl would realize another kind of love, and hopefully it will be all fluff and love and no pain.

 

Well, a father would always hope for the best. He is so not looking at having a crying Ji hyo in his arms. But if he ever finds himself in that situation, he’d make sure his revenge would be a lot worse than any hurt his daughter would ever feel. He’d also make sure the luckiest man on earth who got her baby’s attention knows that his shadow or cremated dust won’t ever be seen again if ever. And that this lucky son of a knows exactly what a father like Cheon can do. After all, what’s the use of Mafia boss in your speed dial if you can’t ask them a very small favor right?

 

After all, his gun loving mafia friend is very fond of his little princess.


I hope readers enjoy this very light and fluffy chapter. It's a little bit too cheesy and teenage territory... But as an adult I could totally relate to not having anyone to text and I could grin maniacally if someone does show me a little attention through messages whoever they are (I know I'm pathetic but busy lazy life of mine didn't give me chatty friends though my best friends love me we just don't talk much...)

Thanks for reading!!!