RM-ABS 25

Running Man All Boys School

I used a song as inspiration in this chap, if you want to listen while reading heres a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukWsNxJ4zfE


Ji hyo made it back to the second year dormitory in record time, not that she was counting the minutes while running walking. Her phone was placed in the back pocket of her slacks. The device was actually very slim and light but its presence felt warm and heavy, like anxiety and wonder. She rushed to the halls hearing before seeing the man who made her realize that messaging can be fun. And that a simple conversation through her once neglected piece of technology could make her a grinning idiot who has forgotten composure even after years of ethics and special manners class.

 

Ji hyo’s even willing to admit that she’s excited to have a repeat of the experience. But for now she’d settle on seeing the man and have an actual conversation about… things. Or anything actually… what would they chat about? Should Ji hyo tell him about her day? Or maybe about college or high school--

 

An agitated chef cut Ji hyo’s thoughts short, blocking the way to the kitchens. She automatically switched off her excitement and greeted the cook. “How’s it going chef?”

 

For all the prestige, title and recognition attached to the man’s name in the culinary world, her father’s friend is actually a bit of teddy bear. The blank, sometimes murderous expression and size of the man suggests a resemblance to a grizzly bear instead but she knew the man too well to be fooled. The cook is worrying his lower lip, a frown becoming a permanent feature in his face and he hasn’t spoken yet. Only looked at Ji hyo fleetingly before his gaze dance everywhere especially in the direction of the kitchens.

 

“What is it Cheffie?” the old nickname has the chef breaking into a grin. He smiles bashfully at Ji hyo and she’s pretty sure the cook is secretly a ninja because she’s sure that no one else saw that.

 

“Well, I am following the young chef’s menu but not his recipe. So I’m short on some ingredients.”

 

“Oh, I can do a grocery run for you chef.” she offers but seeing right through the ruse. She knew the cook would never dare send her on errands but he always have other ways to do that. Ji hyo actually enjoys it. She even gets free lessons from the five star chef.

 

“You’re an angel Ji hyo!” the man broke into a grin, ing a lengthy paper to Ji hyo. The female teacher did not call on the chef’s preparedness but merely raised her brows teasingly, but the cook ignored it and happily returned to the kitchen. Ji hyo checked the list taking note of where she needs to buy each item.

 

A presence loomed behind her, assaulting her senses with warmth and the pleasant smell of polished leather, earthy faint scent of gym and citrus.

 

“I’ll go with you.” Jong kook whispers behind Ji hyo, sending a shiver down her spine and why was he so close? Close enough for his warm breath to tickle the outer shell of her ear. They were almost touching, hunched over a piece of paper that Ji hyo had quickly forgotten. He murmurs her name again. Ji hyo looks around with a suddenness that puts their faces dangerously too close. Another inch would all it take and she’d be kissing those thin pinkish lips… and then she makes the mistake of looking into Jong kook’s eyes.

 

It was like a swirl of her favorite dark chocolate. Its depth so deep she felt lost. For a while she thinks she saw the man, but couldn’t understand because of the turmoil of emotions and messages swimming in those orbs. Her brain couldn’t follow… couldn’t function in confusion. Her heart was too busy beating so fast to recognize all those feelings. And her body was in an overdrive. She couldn’t compartmentalize enough to make sense of her reactions or of his to hers.

 

But despite falling into those depths. Despite the storm of emotions… Ji hyo could feel two things so clearly -- it is warm and safe. Like home, like the hacienda on its heyday with her mom and all the servants and their family during their traditional gatherings…

 

Ji hyo didn’t know how they pulled out of that magical moment. She might not understand what really took place but she knew he was also as affected as her even if they both chose to pretend it didn’t happen.

 

“So, I uhh, let’s go?” he asks tentatively, his face beet red and so was Ji hyo’s. “I offered earlier to go but I think chef doesn’t trust me?” the humor both gave them an awkward excuse to laugh uneasily. Ji hyo nods and mumbles about changing into civilian clothes leaving Jong kook to chase her with his gaze. The PE teacher wondering how far more he could fall for his princess when it already feels like he’s fallen so deeply already…

 

---/:::::/---

 

Ji hyo stole her father’s car choosing the reckless way instead of just asking. The old man always knew anyway and never really gets mad. No one mentioned what happened earlier, both contented to pretend that it was nothing. Jong kook drove while Ji hyo navigated.

 

“Oppa, we can buy most of this in the grocery but we have to stop by a wet market first.” Jong kook only hummed in response and continued to drive. Ji hyo looked out the window, smiling at the view. She realizes then that it had been so long since the last time she went out for a drive as a passenger for something like this. If fact, she never really did a grocery run with another person and the simple task already felt more special even if people usually describe it as mundane.

 

 The silence stretched into minutes both teachers concentrating on the outside. Then foreign music filled the car. Ji hyo glanced over at Jong kook who was playing songs in his phone to accompany their silent drive. Jong kook favored light easy melody that were not too slow to lull Ji hyo into sleep nor was it fast enough to make her want to dance. Soon Ji hyo found herself humming along the songs, even tapping her hips to the beat. She relaxes more and melts into her seat with a soft smile.

 

“I didn’t know you like English songs oppa.” She commented after a few songs that were all in English. She didn’t immediately get an answer and was about to dismiss the question when Jong kook spoke with a nostalgic tone to his voice.

 

“I was forced to learn the language when I was a kid… my tutors didn’t have it easy.”

 

“Ah… so the songs became a tactic?” The man nodded his eyes still on the road. Ji hyo could picture a young Jong kook, her prince oppa, scowling at his tutors while they exasperatedly coaxed him to learn. Even when they were playing games, she remembers that her prince oppa does what he wants, even tweaking all the rules to his advantage to the frustration of the kids around the hacienda. It was one reason why Jong kook and Ji hyo always end up playing by themselves instead. To say the tutors didn’t have it easy was an understatement.

 

“My music teacher… he was the one who told me that music was the universal language. At first he would introduce a melody in the lesson and ask me if I liked it… then he would play it with the lyrics -- the man made me curious enough to learn what the words mean. It was fun… and my father allowed more music lessons when he sees the big improvement.”

 

“That teacher is a nice man. What else did he teach you oppa? Do you play instruments?”

“Just a bit of piano and violin… I wasn’t really good at instruments.”

 

Ji hyo wanted to ask more but a new song has started. This one was simple but tugged at Ji hyo’s heartstrings much more than the others. It was about a journey… English wasn’t one of Ji hyo’s strengths, only understanding the basics but instead of focusing on the song Ji hyo found herself lost on the melody. She looks out the road and wonders why her head is filled of Jong kook, of little Jong kook, and feels a heaviness that makes her want to reach out to the man beside her and tell him it’s okay now.

 

It starts with a hum. The words were small but clear, the voice so warm and a little sad… shy but sure. It feels like she’s on the road away from home. She hears longing, fear… wonder. He gives the song a new meaning and Ji hyo could just listen to Jong kook singing for eternity. his voice makes her want to cry… it feels like she’s lost something, like she’s leaving something and not knowing if her absence would even be noticed.

 

These days that I got

Can’t be what I’m not,

Sacrifices I’ve made for you

And one mistake can go thru this life so slow

Wanna keep myself from making two…

 

Coz’ on this road less traveled on,

On a way to somewhere

And will you miss me when I’m gone

I don’t know

Where do I belong?

 

Resignation, hopelessness and longing enveloped Ji hyo… but what stops her heart from breaking over a song was also hope. A promise that there’s home to come back to. That there is a someday where everything would be better… she lets herself ride the notes, lets his voice tell her a story. Ji hyo ceases to hear the lyrics… because in that short moment, she is travelling into a whirlwind of a story without words.

 

And the sun will rise

And we’ll open up our eyes

And see love

Showing what’s really true

 

And I would go so far

Just to be where you are

Take no time

Bringing my heart to you

 

Coz’ on this road less traveled on,

On a way to somewhere

And will you miss me when I’m gone

I don’t know,

I feel it all so strong

 

 

Ji hyo closes her eyes for a while and breathes deeply, believing in the storyteller. Someday he’ll find his way back…

Someday it will be okay… and maybe she’d hear happier songs. Or maybe the sad songs won’t make her cry anymore because they would only be reminders of survival…

 

 

Keep reaching out from within,

Can’t tell you where I’ve been

Remembering something I was told

And it’s called me to go

Find my way back home

Hearing you singing a favorite song

 

Coz’ on this road less traveled on

On a way to somewhere

And will you miss me

When I am gone…

I don’t know,

I’ll be gone for too long…

 

Jong kook sneaked a glance at the female teacher, finding her lost in her thoughts and still staring outside the window. A soft smile and a quiet peace settled in her features and Jong kook wondered if she understood.

 

He loved to sing… found it as an excuse to tell people what he really feels. And if anyone would ask him about the lyrics, if it means anything at all -- he always told those people that he liked the singer and the music.

 

He loved the freedom a song gave him, loved the way it lets him express so openly and say much more than when he uses plain words. And a song gets attention. It makes people listen even if sometimes they do not understand… it’s okay, because to Jong kook, his relationship with music is private and precious. But now he wanted to share this and hoped…

That she will hear beneath the lyrics. Hear his meaning behind the voice... and find the lost boy who ran away from his home.

 

Coz’ on this road less traveled on

On a way to somewhere

And will you miss me

When I am gone…

I don’t know,

I’ll be gone for too long…

 

 

I’m sorry... for leaving you before, my precious princess.

And I’m sorry for loving you now, but I guess I always did…

I have always known since I was a child, that you are important and precious to me.

I just didn’t know then that I will end up in love with you like this…

 

The song ends and Ji hyo releases a deep breath she didn’t know she’s holding. She wakes up from her thoughts placing a hand on top of her heart. She didn’t know she could be that affected from a song.

 

“Wow,” she whispers in awe. She turns to the man driving and he’s still looking ahead the road. But now he’s more relaxed, an easy smile in his face -- the two didn’t even realize they are just mirroring each other’s expression. Jong kook looked younger, radiant even like a heavy weight was lifted from him. Under her palms, Ji hyo feels her heart thunder in her chest.

 

“Yeah, that song was amazing… I loved it ever since I first heard it. Even if it’s a bit sad.”

 

“Right… it was beautiful. Simple but it really caught my attention.” Your voice was beautiful…

 

And if Ji hyo’s heart could only speak, it would have worded a more appropriate epic of thousand words or a million jut describing what Ji hyo heard.

 

The two listened to more music. Jong kook still hummed along to a few but he didn’t sing anymore. Ji hyo wanted to hear more but didn’t ask. Why would she anyway? She’s already very happy to see this side of the man and to be shared with an incredible talent.

 

 

 

“We’re here Ji hyo-yah.” Jong kook parked the car carefully and went out. Ji hyo trailed after him. The narrow path gave her an excuse to walk behind the man and the time to calm her rapidly beating heart.

 

The market despite the hour was full of shoppers. Later, the two teachers find out that it’s the usual time that produce are delivered to the market so shoppers take advantage. Ji hyo found it hard to keep up with the PE teacher in the throngs of people milling about. A large man cut into Ji hyo’s path carrying a big wicker basket in his head. She almost bumps into him but stops a mere foot away. He grunts in annoyance and Ji hyo’s heartfelt sorry was ignored. She sidesteps the man to follow Jong kook but an old lady drops her purse. Ji hyo picks it up and helps the lady get to the side to wait for her grandson.

 

Ji hyo continues forward, expecting Jong kook scowling at her slowness. But Ji hyo looks around only to find strangers and not the familiar sight of the PE teacher. People keep on bumping into her now, prompting Ji hyo to move and get even more lost. She fumbles for her phone to dial Jong kook’s number.

 

It rings and rings but no one answered. Ji hyo now feels really upset and she blames it on the sad nostalgic songs they listened into on the way here. She could just go back into the car park. She should be so upset, “you’re a grown woman Ji hyo, you’re too old to act like a lost kid.” she mumbles and wonders. Why is this such a big deal?

 

Ji hyo turns around to go back but nothing’s familiar. She could always ask around. Maybe she can buy the stuff she needs instead of acting like a kid.

 

The history teacher roams around and finds herself in a less crowded part of the market. People had directed her around but Ji hyo’s just so bad at directions and haven’t even bought a single item. Now she’s really pissed for no reason and no it’s not because Jong kook couldn’t even slow down or check if his companion is still around. Suddenly there’s a warm hand in her shoulder and Ji hyo squeaks, “please don’t hurt me I’ll give you my phone and money!”

 

A laugh startles her and she turns around to find Jong kook huffing and sweaty. He laughs and before Ji hyo could tell him how upset she was, relief in those chocolate orbs stops her. Next thing she knew, she’s being pulled into a hug.

 

“Found you… don’t do that again, Ji hyo, please? I’ve found you…” he murmurs and Ji hyo melts into his arms. She mumbles, her words muffled but Jong kook nods in response anyway.

 

“Then don’t lose me again, idiot.” 

 


Sorry for not updating for a very long time. I will finish this story. events and real life are just demanding and I was stuck not knowing how to end this. Can't be all fluff but I got it figured out so it's easier to write now. Thanks for reading :-)

*And I was listening to Snow Angel's These Days. I really love these kind of songs... maybe try listening to it?