Can't stay away.

Match Made In Heaven

 

                 Hyukjae closed his eyes and straightened himself, trying to stay composed. He slowly walked over to his father in the living room, "Hey, Dad." He said softly. The middle-aged man simply smiled and nodded in his direction. He watched as Hyukjae took a seat next to him, "I wanted to talk to you about something." He stated firmly. The old man raised an eyebrow but nodded nonetheless.

                  Hyukjae sighed and made sure to avoid any eye contact, "I can't do this anymore." His father frowned deeply, wrinkling his forehead, "You can't do what?" The redhead bit his lip, "Dad…um…I can't stay here anymore." The older man widened his eyes slightly, "Excuse me?"

                  The redhead bit his lip nervously, "I'm sorry, Dad…" His father gaped, "Lee Hyukjae, do you know how much time and money I've spent trying to get you into a university as good as this one?" He muttered disbelievingly. Hyukjae looked down, "I tried. I really did."

                 His father sighed and shook his head, "Hyukjae, what's this all about?" Hyukjae fiddled his fingers, "I need him, d-dad…I really do. You can't imagine how hard it is for me. I tried to grow used to the place, but I just can't. I feel so empty without him…"

                  The man sighed, "So you're willing to give up on your dream for the sake of Donghae?" Hyukjae started to chew on his lower lip, "Not necessarily give up. I mean, I can t-try in Seoul. I know it'll most probably take me years to get a good opportunity, but it is worth it…To me, Hae is more important than money, and more important than work. Please understand me, dad."

                   After a few moments, Hyukjae looked up at his father, who was already staring intensely at him, "Son, I…ah, I honestly don't know what to tell you." The redhead sighed, "Are you not going to let me return?" His dad's eyes softened slightly, "How are you going to stay there alone, Hyukjae? I mean, I'm pretty sure you realize that there is no way the whole family is moving back to Seoul. Our jobs are fantastic and we're living the lives we've always wanted in here."

                    Hyukjae seemed thoughtful, "Well…um, maybe Sora would agree to come with me?" His father shook his head, "It doesn't change a thing. Both of you are unexperienced, so you need a grown adult there with you." Hyukjae's face dropped, but a few minutes of silence later, he gasped softly and his eyes lit up, "Dad, if we need something we can always call grandma, right? She only lives a few blocks away!" Before his father could utter a word, he quickly added, "A-And…if not her, then our Aunt and Uncle, r-right?"

                    The man smiled lightly, "You really do miss him a lot, don't you?" Hyukjae's eyes softened and a small smile appeared at his lips at the mentioning of Donghae, "More than anything." The man exhaled audibly, "Well, I certainly wouldn't want a depressed son that hates me, so- I guess I'll allow you to go, but only if you promise me that you'll be responsible and safe."

                  A single tear rolled down Hyukjae's cheek, but he didn't bother wiping it away, and instead, choked out, "T-Thanks, dad. Really…" The man patted his shoulder and gave him a rather forced smile before standing up and leaving the room. Hyukjae knew that his old man was quite disappointed and worried, and as much as knowing that he was the reason for that ashamed him, he couldn't help a huge, watery smile from appearing at his lips.

-------------------------------------------

                     Donghae kept checking his phone every few minutes. He didn't know what he was waiting for. He thought he was probably waiting a message from Hyukjae. He sighed and retreated his phone into his pocket before the teacher saw him.

                     Donghae started staring out of the window, daydreaming about Hyukjae and him. He smiled lightly when he imagined himself in the other's arms, cuddling with him on the same bed, kissing him, hugging him, and just fall asleep by the warmth surrounding his body.

                    Now, Donghae was distant from both his parents and his older brother, he felt cold and empty at nights when he would try to sleep, he couldn't stop thinking of Hyukjae's flaming red hair, his dark eyes, his milky skin, his defined jawline, and his plump, pink lips. Hyukjae was the definition of perfect to him.

            "-Hae! Lee Donghae!" Donghae was snapped back to reality by the screeching sound of the teacher's voice. His cheeks flushed in embarrassment as he looked down, "S-Sorry, sir." With a huff, the old man muttered something under his breath before returning to the whiteboard.

                When class ended, Donghae quickly sprinted out of the lecture hall and made his way to the bathrooms. His stomach was churning and his face and chest were suddenly covered in cold sweat. He rushed into one of the cubicles and vomited violently. He clutched onto his stomach and started to shake from the strong force his body was forced into.

                 What had happened to him? He was fine just ten minutes ago. Donghae's body tensed up when he felt a pair of thin arms rub his back in a soothing manner. He slowly started to relax when he heard Hyoyeon whispering soothing words in his ear.

                  About a minute later, he was finally done emptying his stomach and was now breathing heavily. Not wanting to open his mouth, he shakily pulled out a notepad and a pen and scribbled down a few words. He handed the small notebook over to the confused blonde, who grinned once she read the contents.

Do you have any mint?

                   She rummaged through her bag, "I always do." She quickly handed him four pieces of strawberry flavored mint candy and returned the packet into her bag. Donghae hastily shoved them into his mouth. A few minutes of silence later, he widened his eyes at the realization: He was sitting with Hyoyeon, in a cubicle, in the men's restroom.

                  Donghae let out a small gasp, "What the hell are you doing here?!" Hyoyeon stared at him for what seemed like an eternity before widening her eyes and covering her flushed cheeks, "M-Me? Nothing! I was just…taking a walk!" Donghae stared at her, "In the men's restroom?" Hyoyeon pouted, "Let's just say Heechul and I were playing Truth or Dare." Donghae shook his head disbelievingly, "You're one weird woman."

                The two walked out of the bathroom quickly before anyone could see them and made their way to the lunch cafeteria, "What happened to you, anyways?" Donghae let out a small sigh, "No idea. I was fine just a few minutes before we were dismissed." Hyoyeon shook her head, "Donghae, to tell you the truth, we're all worried sick about you."

                  Donghae bit his lip, "I'm sorry. I don't mean to be a burden." Hyoyeon shook her head, "You're not, you're just our friend and it's our job to look after you, especially when Hyukjae isn't around. Oh, and speaking of him, do you realize how upset he'd be if he knew about all of this? Whether you admit it or not, you're changing for the worst, Hae."

                  As forward as Hyoyeon was, he knew she was right, "T-The last thing I would ever think of doing is upsetting Hyukkie…" He mumbled dejectedly. Hyoyeon wrapped an arm around his shoulder, "I know, buddy. We all do."

---------------------------------

                 Later that day, Donghae was just about to get into the shower when his phone vibrated, signaling a new call. Looking at the screen, Donghae let out a blinding grin and picked up, "Hey Hyukkie!" He heard a chuckle from the other line, "Hey, baby."

                 Donghae pulled himself up and plopped onto the countertop, next to the sink, and started swinging his legs back and forth, "How are you doing? Are your classes difficult? Do you need any help with them?" He heard a quiet laugh, "I'm fine. And even if classes were difficult, it's not like you could help me or anything since you at these things- especially Math." Donghae pouted and mumbled something under his breath.

                "Hae, I have some great news for you." Hyukjae started moments later. Donghae's eyes lit up, "What is it? What is it?" A moment of silence followed as Donghae shoved the phone closer to his ear in an excited manner, "Well…?" He muttered impatiently. Before he could even register it, Hyukjae blurted out, "Hae, I'm coming back to Seoul!" Donghae had to wait for what seemed like forever for the information to sink in, and 'Why?' Was the first thing that came out.

                  He could just imagine the confused scowl on Hyukjae's face as he muttered, "'Cause I missed you?" Donghae felt tears well up in his eyes, "Y-You can't." Moments of silence later, Hyukjae spoke in a shaky voice, "What do you mean? Don't you want me back?"

                Donghae clenched his eyes shut and inhaled sharply, "I…I can't always be a load you carry around wherever you go, Hyukjae. Y-You can't give up because of m-me. Your dream is m-more important." He flinched when he heard a bitter scoff from the other end of the line, "What the are you saying, Donghae? You have no idea how much I'm being put through! It's too hard to stay without you, don't you understand?! You're much more important than my ing dream! I-I can't even sleep at night because you're always on my mind, don't you get it?!"

                  Donghae let out a sob before bursting out, "I know! I know so goddamn well, Hyukjae! Do you think I'm enjoying this?! Do you actually believe that I can stay so long without you?! Answer me! Do you know how hard it is to realize that I can't see you anymore? I miss you, and I love you…I love you so ing much that it's pathetic, tell me, do you know that?"     

                   Several moments of silence later, Hyukjae sniffled and muttered in a desperate tone, "Baby…I need to come back; it's too scary to be so far away. I feel so lost. I just want to hold you…I need you so bad right now…" Donghae swallowed a loud sob and bit his lip, "Y-You'll regret it, H-Hyukkie…" Before he could even continue, Hyukjae cut him off with a loud sigh, "Never. I can never regret coming back. I-I'll achieve everything I've ever wanted there in Seoul, it doesn't matter how long I'd have to wait…It's worth the wait."

                    Donghae wiped his eyes and took in deep breaths, "I love you, Hyukjae." The redhead sniffled once more, "Me too. You would never know how much you mean to me, never." The younger chewed on his bottom lip as his tear-stained cheeks flushed a soft tint of pink, "S-So you're coming back?" He heard a small, shaky laugh before Hyukjae whispered softly, "Yes, yes I am." Donghae smiled, "I really do love you, you know." Hyukjae chuckled, "I know you do, Hae. And I love you just as much, if not more."