Chapter 8

Be My Shining Star.

 

Chapter 8:

 

“How are you done with your packing?” I heard Kyuhyun’s voice ring through the speakers the moment I smacked it across my ear.

“I am almost done. You?” I said as I placed my last shirt in before zipping it close, balancing the phone to my ear with my shoulder.

“Done, since the morning.” He chuckled.

“Wow, I never knew you were such a fast packer.” I teased before locking the bag with a padlock.

“Yah! I am a fast packer, it’s just you never noticed it.” He retorted. I laughed in return, knowingly imagining his usual smirk and glare.

“I need to get some stuff before I forget, I will call you tonight.”  He spoke again.

********************

Well the trip was tomorrow and I was really starting to look forward to it since the school break is here.

And I have asked my coach and gotten a break from the swim team’s training for this two weeks.

I have been on a trip like that before but I have never gone to Nepal and I am getting pretty nervous about it too. Kyu and I have been going for their briefing sessions regularly and we have made so many new friends in the team!

We have been meeting up with our team members and we have all been getting really close during this short period.

I sat on the couch, holding a mug in my hands as I thought about the trip and all, until my phone rang again, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Yes?” I asked the moment I saw the Caller ID.

“Can’t I call?” I heard his sacarstic voice through the phone again.

“Yes you can, what do you want now?” I giggled, standing up to go to the kitchen.

“Please open your door, I am outside now.” His tired voice came in, surprising me with his sentence.

“What?” I asked again, just in case I was hearing things.

“I am outside your door, please open it.” He said again, this time clearer.

I heard his usual chuckle when he heard me gasp. I placed the cup down into the sick before wiping my hands dry and walking towards the door.

I flung it open, only to see Kyuhyun leaning on the door frame, with his backpack on a shoulder.

“Gosh Kyu, what are you doing here at such a late hour?” I asked in a shock tone. He smirked before self-inviting himself into my living hall, placing his bag down beside mine which was near the door.

“Can’t your bestfriend, me, come here anytime I like to visit you.” He retorted, pointing cutely at himself. I merely laughed before escorting him into the house, letting him take a sit on the couch.

“My mum’s inside her room, I will get her out?” He nodded. He hasn’t met my mother since we were kids and I had no idea actually why she didn’t let me keep in contact with him in the past, but let’s  just hope that this meeting would just go well.

“Mum? Kyuhyun’s here.” I opened her door slightly, only to see her lying on the bed, watching the television. She sat up immediately and stood up.

“Kyuhyun? That boy whom you used to play with?” I nodded before taking a gulp of my own saliva nervously.

She walked out with me slowly, only to see Kyuhyun sitting on the couch with his back crouched down, hands interlocked.

“Mum, this is Kyuhyun.” He stood up quickly, taking a glance at me before bowing to my mother.

“Hi, Mrs Kim, it’s been really long, how are you doing?”  He smiled, asking.

“I am doing fine, it’s nice to see what a big boy you have become.” She smiled back before gesturing for him to take a seat.

He nodded and plopped down beside  me.

I turned to look at my mother but something seemed pretty different at the way she acted after seeing Kyuhyun. Or even when she heard him name. She didn’t seem to be pleased though.

I took Kyuhyun into the room. Closing the door behind me, I sat down on the bed.

“So what are you here for?” I asked, breaking into a small grin.

“I told you, I am here to visit my bestfriend, can’t i?” He asked with a pout.

“Yes you can, but what’s the main reason?”  I asked again, knowing he was hiding something.

“Fine, I just wanted to have a sleepover here alright.” He frowned, laying himself down comfortably on my bed.

I laughed silently, knowing that he might just be pulling my leg.

“You are joking right?” I asked before standing up and walking towards the closet.

“No? I am not, I was serious about it.” He confirmed, sitting up and staring at me.

I turned around to face him with a confused look plastered on my face.

“We used to have sleepovers all the time when we were younger.”

I looked at him with an amused look.

“Kyu, we have grown up already!” I laughed before getting some clothes off the hanger.

“So, we are still bestfriends.” He whined.

“I don’t care, I am sleeping here tonight, so deal with it.” He frowned and covered himself with my blanket.

“Fine, but you have to sleep on the floor or my mum would murder me.” I said, laughing as I was about to enter the toilet.

“Okay, I am fine with it.” He grinned in victory,  pulling the roller bed out from underneath.

He was already clad in his sleeping attire, a brown shirt with some long black pants.

He came prepared.

I laughed to myself before slipping out of my dirty clothes and getting into the shower.

********************

“Kyu, wake up.” I said in a soft voice as I tapped him on his shoulder.

I had gotten up to bathe and change while Kyu was still asleep.

“5 minutes.” He murmured, burying his face under the pillow.

“No, you have to get up, or we will be late for our flight to Nepal.” I called out again, shaking him.

“Just 5 minutes, I promise.” He mumbled again, ignoring my calls.

I grinned to myself before poking him in his ribs. He burst out laughing and struggling on the mattress as he giggled.

“Stop-p that-t!” He shouted before getting up on his feet immediately.

I grinned at him in return before standing up and walking towards the door.

“Go get a bath and we will be leaving.” I smiled before walking out into the living hall.

I sat down at the dining table.  Taking a toast from the plate.

“Good morning Sweetheart, how was your sleep?” My mum asked as she handed me a glass of milk.

“It was good, and Kyuhyun is taking his bath now.” I told her, bringing the cup to my lips.

“He stayed over?” She exclaimed, standing up angrily.

“Yes, mum he did.” I answered, calmly. I knew this would happen but I wanted to talk things out with her.

“Why did you let him sleep here?” She calmed down a little, sitting back down.

“Mum, he is my bestfriend. And I am twenty, I know what to do.” I answered.

“Hanji, you can’t hang out with him.” She said in a soft voice, looking down.

“Why? I don’t see what’s wrong, it’s exactly what you did when I was young!” I did raise my voice a little, startling her but I didn’t mean it.

“I am sorry, but I really don’t see why am I not allowed to hang out with him mum, I am not a kid anymore.” I rebelled, throwing the toast on the plate as I stood up.

“Hanji, I have my reasons.” She stood up too, grabbing my arm.

“If that’s the case, what is the problem?” I turned to face her, demanding for the answer.

“You will know it in time to come,  Hanji.” She said quietly, gently letting go of my arm.

“See? Why can’t you tell me? That was exactly what you told me when I was little!” I yelled. I turned to the other side of the hall, only to see Kyuhyun standing there, watching us. I stomped over towards him and grabbed him by the arm.

“Mum, he is with me on the mission trip, and we will talk after I get back.” I told her calmly as I left her a kiss on the cheek.

I loved my mum a lot, and I knew my words hurt her. I didn’t mean them but I really wanted to know the truth that she has been hiding all these years.

I pulled Kyuhyun out of the house, with him dragging all of our bags along.

I closed the door and walked towards the car and placed my bagpack into the boot.

I then got into the front seat quietly.

I heard the boot slam shut, before Kyuhyun got in beside me.

“Hey, is everything alright?” He touched my arm.

I turned to face him, nodding, as I held back my tears that were threatening to spill.

“I heard my name in your fight earlier on. Come on, tell me about it.” He smiled reassuringly, before starting the engine.

“Kyu, I am fine. It’s nothing, really.” I faked a smile, turning to face the window as he pulled the car out of the lot.

“Are you sure? You can always talk to me about it, I am your bestfriend.” He touched my arm, looking at me in concern.

“I am really fine Kyu. Nothing’s wrong, I will sort it out once I am back. Don’t worry.” I smiled at him before closing my eyes. But I could feel his gaze boring into my skin throughout the journey to the airport.

***********************

We gathered with the team, almost ready to check in.

“Sooyeon, let’s take a picture!” I called out to one of our group mates. She is one of the closest to me since we have gotten to know each other so much through all the briefing sessions.

She ran over cutely as she joined us in the picture.

“Come on, let’s check in already.” She linked arms with me, dragging me away from Kyuhyun.

I turned around to smile at him apologetically before following behind Sooyeon.

He merely laughed at me, waving with a smirk visible on his lips.

“Kyuhyun-ssi, let’s sit together on the plane.” I heard one of our group mates talking to Kyuhyun behind me at the counter.

I turned around, only to seeing Jongmi whining to Kyuhyun as she pulled his arm. I looked at Kyuhyun who was pretty awkward and it looks like he wanted to get out of the situation.

“Yeah-h, we can-n…” He mumbled, looking up and meeting my gaze. He frowned and pouted. I laughed and turned around, talking to Sooyeon as the smile disappeared.

I felt jealous in a way. I don’t know I just felt so. It felt as it, I was supposed to be the one sitting beside him. It felt like the most rightful thing to happen. But no Hanji, you guys are just bestfriends.

I sighed, taking a deep breathe before handing my passport to the officer.

**********************

“We have landed in Nepal.” The voice rang through the speakers. Everyone started unbuckling their seatbealts and standing up tho retrieve our things.

I turned from my seat with Sooyeon to take a look at Kyuhyun. He was taking his bag down from the top compartment, with Jongmi still clinging on by his side.

Jongmi had always been so clingly towards Kyuhyun. Even since the start of our briefings. She had always been going after Kyuhyun, offering him food and buying him things.

“Hanji,” Sooyeon called me, handing me my bagpack that she had retrieved. I nodded, thanking her and slinging it over my shoulder.

 

****************

 

We got onto the bus that would bring us to our destination in Nepal. This country was different.

Everything here just seemed different from how it would be in Korea. People and everything here just seemed so far from what things are in Korea.

They were less fortunate and this was our motive of coming here. To bless them with what we are blessed with.

“Hanji!” I walked down the aisle of the bus, behind Sooyeon, till I heard my name being called out by Kyu.

I whipped my head around to where his voice was coming from.

I found him in a seat for two, waving at me and gesturing me to sit down beside him.

I nodded, and started to squeeze my way through but before I could reach, Jongmi slipped into the seat beside Kyuhyun.

“Oppa, can I sit here? Or are you sitting with Hanji unnie…” She glared at me.

“I- I am sitting with Hanji, sorry Jongmi-ssi.”

“Kyu, it’s fine, sit with her. I can sit with Sooyeon.” I smiled before taking a seat beside Sooyeon,  not far away from them.

There’s nothing to be jealous about. Kyuhyun is just your bestfriend Hanji. You should just let him have his freedom to fall in love.

Don’t be jealous. 

 

 

##########################################

Hello! You all must be really surprise why is there an update since i said i was going on hiatus for a month. But i couldn't resist the urge to write another chapter so here it is! I wrote it today, while i was sick, and i didn't go to school. so yeap, i took a break from studying so i decided to leave you guys with a sweet chapter, although there was a little of jealousy and angst here. 

Hope you guys like it! Comment and subscribe! :)