Chapter 18

Be My Shining Star.

 

Chapter 18:

 

I smiled as I passed one of the nurses in the hospital.

She bowed and greeted me, signalling to me that I could enter the doctor’s office. I nodded and smiled once more before knocking on the door and heading in.

“Good morning, Miss Kim.” The doctor greeted before gesturing for me to take a seat in front of her desk.

I smiled and sat down, waiting for her to begin speaking.

“How have your condition been?” The doctor asked, picking up a report the other end of her desk.

“I have been okay, but frequently having headaches and vomiting issues.” I said, frowning at the thought.

“That’s because of the lack of blood. Your condition is worsening, Miss Kim.” She finally answered, adjusting her scrawny glasses that perched on top of her nose.

I frowned and immediately felt tears coming.

“You are at stage 2 of the cancer.” She looked up, knowing this would how patients react.

“Don’t worry, it would be fine as long as you are willing to go through the therapy.

 

 

 

Kyuhyun’s pov:

 

I knocked on the door a couple of times, but no one answered. Hanji had told me once before that her mother works in the morning.

But she should be home right?

Where else could she be?

I have checked at the swimming club and at school.

And having to find out that she had pulled out of the swim team just yesterday morning, made me feel sick.

Why didn’t she tell me so?

Why didn’t I go yesterday,  so that I could finally meet her again?

I sighed before turning on my heels at her front porch.

I would come back another day, I guess.

I started to walk down the steps, only to see another pair of feet.

“Kyuhyun?”  I heard her voice. Sooyeon.

I looked up, and smiled at her weakly.

“What are you doing here?”  I asked.

She clutched her bag and looked around nervously.

“Just tell me.” I said. I guess she already knew that things were gong downhill between Hanji and myself right?

She was a really close friend of Hanji, and it was absolutely rightful if she had already told her.

“Kyu, I don’t think she is home yet, let’s go to the café that side for a drink first?” She proposed the idea, looking at me hopefully.

I saw her eyes glancing at the door behind me, unsure of something. I knew she was hiding something.

But I sighed in defeat, nodding and following her lead to the café.

 

 

We settled down by the side window, each with a mug of latte in hand.

“What is it?” I asked, playing with a thread that dangled from my sleeve.

“Kyu, you know how much I love both you and Hanji. And that you two are not doing well in this relationship really makes me sad.” I watched as she frowned, staring intently at me.

I gestured for her to continue, taking a sip from the mug.

“Even the countless times Hanji had told me to keep this from you, I really can’t promise her so even though I said I would just to pull her off the topic. You need to know this Kyu. She needs you more than she needs anyone else.” She spoke again.

What was she talking about?

“Kyu, Hanji has leukemia.” Sooyeon blurted out, placing her hand over my own.

I watched as tears brimmed in her eyes.

But then it hit me. So hard I felt my heart breaking on the inside.

It’s a terminal disease isn’t it?

Is that why she was avoiding me? So that she wouldn’t become a burden?

I slumped back down in the seat in shock.

“Kyu, I know I have no right to be asking this. But… Are you going to leave her?” She asked, waiting in hope for my reply.

My eyes widened, and my reaction almost shocked her.

“No, of course not, never!”  I shouted.

I was just scared and I just hated myself sol much for not always being there to find out about this earlier and helping her to go through it.

“Go and find her. She needs you Kyu. Don’t ever leave her to fend for herself, because having such an illness isn’t easy for one to handle.”   She spoke again, grabbing my hand and making sure.

I nodded.

“I won’t. I love her, more than anything.” I said before gathering up my things, ready to leave for her.

“Kyu.” Sooyeon interrupted me.

“She is having her check up today on her condition.” She spoke. I nodded before running towards the entrance of the café.

 

 

Heading for the hospital, I rushed to the counter.

“May I know which room Kim Hanji is in? She is having a check up today.” I spoke while panting.

The nurse checked and told me that she was in Doctor Park’s office.

I nodded, sprinting off in the direction the nurse gestured towards, turning around and mouthing a word of thanks.

Before turning the knob of the door, the door flung open and Hanji herself walked out. Not noticing me, she walked straight into my chest.

“I am so sorry!” She bowed before turning away and wiping her eyes.

Was she crying?

She hadn’t noticed it was me.

“Hanji?” I called out. She shot her head in the direction of my voice, shocked that I was right here.

“Kyu? What are you doing here?” She asked, quickly turning and walking away from me.

I reached out to grab her wrist, only to watch he squirm out of my grasp.

“Stop it.” I said, firmly.

“How was your report?” I asked. She stopped moving immediately, turning to look at me, her eyes widening.

“How-w did you-u know-w that I was collecting it t-today?” She stuttered, obviously shocked.

“If Sooyeon hadn’t approached me, would you ever tell me about your illness?” I said, almost flaring up.

I was angry because she didn’t want to tell me about it from the start. I was even angrier with myself because I hadn’t been there with he, fighting this battle.

She looked away, her eyes glistening with tears.

She shook her head slowly.

“No I wouldn’t.” She admitted it, turning to look at me in the eyes.

“I never wanted to impose on you. I don’t want to be a burden. I don’t want to hurt you.” She said, before wiping her eyes hastily.

I didn’t know how I could react to her words.

But I just pulled her into my embrace.

Her smell intoxicated me. I loved her.

Why would I ever find her a burden?

I heard her sniff as she found her arms around my back.

I missed her being like this. I missed having her around me.

“I won’t leave you, not now, not ever.” I said as we pulled away. I placed my hands on her small shoulders, bending down to her height.

“I love you, and I will go through this with you.” I spoke again. Her eyes filled themselves with more tears.

Happy tears.

“I love you too.” She said.

I leaned down, pressing my lips against hers.

I knew that it was her that I was going to spend my life with.

 

It had always been her, because whatever the circumstance, we would always be going through it together each time.

And also because each time I kissed those pink lips of hers, I swear I saw sparks fly. 

 

 

___________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Guys! I am back with an update like i promised last week! My hoilidays are here so look forward to more frequent updates! :) 

I hope you like this story and i really love writing this becoz it brings bme so much joy. 

Anyways love you all and i hope to see your lovely comments!