Chapter 8

All My Life

Distance


For the next year and half, Jessica barely talked to me; she would always be with Donghae, his arm wrapped around her shoulder. Throughout that time, I focused on teaching Victoria Korean, and practicing for our debut. I always had an excuse to not go to the SNSD dorm, I'm tired, I'm feeling sick, no one would notice.

Our debut kept getting pushed back because LSM wanted SHINee to promote a little longer, or they wanted SNSD or Super Junior to have a comeback. By the time it was our time to shine, people were skeptical about our skills, about how much we wanted to stand on stage. But over time, while we were waiting, we became better and our ambition became stronger.


One day, LSM called all 5 of us to his office and informed us of our debut, he would start releasing our profiles and mv teasers, we would start recording tomorrow and for the first time in a long time, I smiled and tears of joy came out.

I walked to the dorm and sat down on the table, waiting for Victoria to finish waking the kids up when my phone vibrated.

Nana: Oppa! I miss you! Why haven't you visited me? How's unnie doing?

-Your unnie got a boyfriend, while I've been busy practicing or my debut. I've been working hard Nana, so when I stand on stage with my group, will you cheer for me?

Nana: Can I go? when is it? Will you pick me up? I'll make sure you can hear me oppa!

-Soon, we're shooting for the mv today. I'll get you on my motorcycle in the morning so I'm not late for rehearsal okay? But it's in a few weeks.

I sipped my coffee when Victoria came in "Yi-yun, why are you drinking the coffee I made, you didn't even pour me some." she flicked me

"Because I'm the only one that drinks coffee" I laughed "Do you need help preparing anything else?"

"No, just go make sure they're out of their rooms please."

"Alright" I made my way into the hallway and peered into each of their rooms, Luna was in her bathroom singing, Sulli just walked out of hers and Krystal, I looked inside her room and saw her on my bed, "Jung Soojung, get out of bed, we have our mv shooting today. Sulli's already out of the bathroom, if you don't wake up I'll put a cucumber on you!"

At the word cucumber, Krystal shot up and ran to the bathroom. With the two members in the bathroom, I walked back into the kitchen and continued to sip my coffee.

"Hyung!~" I looked up at Sulli "What're you drinking? Is it soda! Can I have some?" She grabbed the cup out of my hand and took a huge gulp.
 "That tastes disgusting! Hyung, your taste in soda is horrible!"

"Ssul, this isn't soda, its coffee. It tastes this way because I forgot to buy some more creamer."

"She's lying to you Sulli, Amber's just trying to look cool by not adding anything to her coffee." Victoria laughed.

"Are you like those teenagers at the mall? ’I take my coffee black because that's the color of my soul’." The three of us laughed.

"You kids keep thinking that." I put the empty cup in the sink.


Before picking up Nana, I dropped by the dorm to get the girls ready. "Vic, I'm gonna go pick up a friend of mine, she wants to see our comeback stage."

"Alright. Should I cook for one more person?"

"No need, she can share my portion." I grabbed my helmet and left the dorm. I texted Nana and raced off to the freeway so I could beat morning traffic. By the time I was in front of their house, she was barely saying goodbye to mom. I waved at the two of them and pointed to my watch, sure we weren't late yet, but we had to get back to the dorm before the van got there.

"Is your helmet secure?" She nodded "Then you better hold on tight!"

Like always, I zipped between traffic and made it to the dorm in 10 minutes, I helped Nana off my bike and took her helmet. "Let's take you to meet my members!"

When we got inside, the girls were already at the table, all showered and dressed in clean clothes, helping themselves to the breakfast. I locked the door and showed Nana inside, putting down the helmets on the counter. "Guys this is Nana, she wanted to watch our debut stage."

Nana bowed and smiled widely "I'm Im Jinah, but everyone calls me Nana! I just turned 14!"

"Today's her birthday, so I thought I'd bring her to watch us." I let Nana sit in my usual seat and gave her some of the pancakes. "Eat up! I'm gonna go shower!"

Half an hour later, I finished putting on my shoes when I heard Nana scream "UNNIE!" I ran outside thinking that Sulli was teasing her when I saw SNSD standing in the kitchen. 

I sighed and Yuri and Sooyoung snuck up beside me "Amber! We haven't heard from you in forever! You look older!"

"Yeah you do, and you never took me and Yoona out to eat." The older girls pouted at me.

"I've been busy, so have you guys." I scratched my head and noticed Nana and Jessica hugging and whispering to each other.

"Unnies, are you going to watch us today?" Krystal asked.

"Obviously, Krys. It's your debut stage! I'm pretty sure the boys said they were going to try to see it also." Tiffany smiled.

"Why don't we get going then? I have to ride my bike anyway."


I watched as my friends fought over who would get Nana in their van while Jessica sat beside me, "Amber, I'm sorry."

"For what? You didn't do anything wrong." I patted her head like old times "I'm just too much of a perfectionist that I wanted to dedicate my time practicing."

"You really are too kind sometimes Amber." Jessica stood up and walked into one of the vans after pinching my arm.

Maybe the distance between us isn't as bad as I thought it is...I bit my lip and caught up to the vans at the stop sign, I looked at my hyungs and grinned at them before racing off to the studio. By the time they arrived, there was already a crowd of fan girls wanting to tear them apart while I was already safe inside. I found our waiting room and fell asleep on the couch; the sound of someone humming an old song woke me up, but quickly put me back to sleep. The comforting touch and heat of someone, whose lap I was probably sleeping on was too comfortable for me to get up.

"Unnie, wake oppa up, I think it's their turn soon." Nana's voice called out.

A cold one responded "Just dump a bucket of cold water on her legs, she'll wake up."

Next thing I know, I'm changing into clean clothes for the performance and putting on makeup. "Umm, noona what happened? I thought I was wearing clean clothes already."

"Just a small incident, you don't have to worry now that you're awake."

"Alright..."


I stood in a huddle with my members. "Alright guys, this is no sweat. I know for a fact that we'll do a good job."

"1, 2. We Are f(x)!" The Mc's began to introduce us so we went to our positions.

After we performed and went backstage, our friends were screaming for us and group hugged us. Nana jumped on me and started crying "Oppa! You were really cool!"

"Nana, you're over exaggerating, the other girls were a lot cooler than I was, and did you hear their singing?" I set her down.

Suddenly, I was picked up and thrown into the air, I looked below and saw Jonghyun, Minho, Donghae and Leeteuk catapulting me into the air. "You guys! Put me down! Not cool!" I tried to scold them, but my voice cracked as I was thrown into the air again. So everyone just laughed instead of helping me.

When I was put back down on sturdy ground, they patted me on the back and told me how I performed really well, in fact, those four weren't the only guys there congratulating me, most of Super Junior and the rest of SHINee were there. Legs shaking, I got back up and went to Key "You, why didn't you stop them? You're supposed to be the responsible one!"

I walked away from my friends to get some water to calm down, I wouldn't stop shaking after they threw me up... it reminded me of the past. I was so unsteady that I had to hold onto the wall for support, no matter what I did to try to stop the shaking wasn't working.

After I got water, I gave up on going anywhere else so I walked back to our waiting room and fell onto the couch. I put in my earphones and closed my eyes, music would help me, it always has. It was the only thing that gave me happiness before.

I flinched at the touch of someone's hands on my face and opened my eyes to see Jessica; her mascara was messed up because of her tears...

"Jessica, what happened? Why are you crying?" I wiped them away carefully.

"I told Donghae that he shouldn't do what he did earlier Amber, but he told me I was just overreacting... I'm sorry you had to remember your old memories." Jessica hugged me tight "We've been on and off the past year...and when I saw what he did to you, I ended it....I hate seeing you hurt, so please, talk to me again, bring me out for rides, have sleepovers with the girls again...I'm sorry"

I rubbed her back "Jessica, I forgave you a long time ago, I just needed to be by myself, I was being selfish so I punished myself for acting that way. But why did you never tell me the way Donghae acts toward you? I could've told him off."

"Does that mean you'll hang out with the girls and me again?" Jessica looked at me with her puppy eyes

I could only smile "It'll be a girl's night okay? At my house"

Just then Taeyeon poked her head inside the room "Have you guys made up already?"

Jessica looked at me "Are we?"

"We are, but I want you to tell me what happened between you and hyung later..." Just because he's my hyung doesn't mean he can go scot-free after hurting Jessica.


The girls crowded inside our waiting room and stared at the two of us, waiting for something to happen when Nana yelled at us "Oppa! Hug unnie already!" They began to howl and whistle at us when Jessica forced me into a hug.

"Shut up! You guys are just jealous you can't hug me like Nana or Jessica!" I stuck my tongue out at my friends.

"You keep thinking that way, Amber!" The girls jumped onto the couch and squished the two of us.

Even though we didn't win, our friends were still proud of us and bought us pizza, which was quickly devoured by Yoona and Sooyoung unnie instead.

"Yah! That food was for us, you shikskins!" I karate chopped Sooyoung on the head "I didn't even get a piece yet!"

"That sounds like your problem..." Sooyoung rubbed the spot I hit. "Besides, you never get mad at Jessica when she eats all of your food."

"Jessica's special."


A/N: Instead of posting the sad one I wrote, I decided on this one~ I'll save that chapter for a later time! c:<
Comments are appreciated and I hope you enjoyed the update!

Until next time!