Chapter 1

All My Life

"What's wrong with you? You're a failure of a daughter; you dress like a boy even though you are a girl! You're useless and stupid just like your father!" She slapped me and scratched my face.

Has life always been this hard...?

I felt a tear fall from my eye and heard the police banging on the door.

Will it be over soon? Will my family finally be safe from this crazy woman?

Despite the pain, I smiled, "Are you proud of yourself? You have hurt those close to you, those that still took care of you, even when everyone else turned away. Your husband, your 2 daughters, you blamed them for everything that went wrong in your life just because you didn't want to feel guilty."

I closed my eyes; the police are going to break down the doors. "Before they come in, tell me this one thing...why, why did you always hurt someone? Why did you make sure I never saw my cousins again?"

Her face contorted in anger and she pushed me to the wall, "Want to know why? Because everything you do, every little thing, you remind me of that useless cheating !"

"How was dad an when all he lived to do was to keep you happy, he bought you all those stupid Gucci bags instead of paying bills, he worked to make sure you wouldn't be mad. In fact, he never was and could never be a cheater; he's too kind to do something like that."

The police swarmed in, handcuffed her and carried me to a stretcher.

I grabbed the officer closest to me and everything became a blur... "I know my mother is a bad person, but please take care of her, she's very stubborn..."

"Kid! Kid, keep your eyes open!" The officer kept saying, I wonder why...


I woke up in a white room, I heard familiar voices and even though it hurt all over, I smiled. They're safe and they're here, away from that woman.

"Jack-Jack...? Dad?" I looked at them.

"Amber, I'm so glad you're okay, I'm sorry we left you with her. We thought she was-" Dad started crying.

I took his hand "Dad it's okay, it wasn't your fault."

"Amber, why is it that you always have to go through all these harsh things alone." My sister patted my head.

"I'm not alone, you guys are with me."


I turned away from the judge and began walking away; it hurt to see all the people I love looking at me as if I had chosen my own death. But this is what I have to do.

My face was still covered in bandages, the doctor said it'll only be a about two more weeks until I can take them off. I began to walk down the staircase when I heard my name, "Amber!"

"Don't you look nice Jose, but why’re you coming from a courthouse?" My friend Charlie smiled.

"I'm not allowed to look like a presentable kid?" My lips curved into a smile.

"Hmm...Nope."

"Gee, thanks...hey Charlie you find yourself a good boyfriend yet?"

"Ugh no, Amber...all the cute guys are like already taken or live like a bazillion miles away. Maybe one day..." He pouted.

I was about to respond when I felt someone pulling me down the stairs "Yi-Yun, let's go, the plane is leaving in an hour." My mom looked at me and Charlie harshly.

Even though he is my best friend, she doesn't like him anymore now that she knows he's gay.

"Amber Liu, what's going on? Why is she saying the plane is leaving in an hour? This can't be what I think it is..." He looked at me with big eyes.

I stopped beside him, "Charlie, this is what I have to do. I can't let anyone else get hurt by this monster."

He pulled me into a hug "If you're really going with her, be safe. If you get hurt, call the cops. Just make sure when you visit you're in one piece."

"I know lil bro. Make sure you take care of everyone alright?" He squatted down so I could pat his head.

"I know..." He started to cry "You should go know. We all know what happens if you make her wait too long"


When we arrived home she ordered me to only pack my clothes and told me we were flying to Korea; she already had a new house for the two of us, a new workplace and husband waiting there for her. While I got a private tutor.

I guess she doesn't want me ruining her new life after all...


For a while, everything would be the same, my tutor give me translated worksheets to do while she would sit on the couch on watch some dramas. Whenever I finished early, I would sit with her on the couch and we would end up chatting. After the first month, we became close friends and knew almost everything about each other. How she hated when people called her by her Korean name Sooyeon, how some people called her an ice princess...she knows about my past, she knows how my mom would beat me on the rare occasions she's home.

Other than Jessica and the people at the market, I had zero interaction with people...

Even though mom rarely came home to 'our' house, I would still keep it clean and cook for two people...whenever I'm alone, I go online and log on to see messages, -What happened. -I miss you. -Where'd you go? The same thing each time, but no one really meant it. They sent a single message and forget about it, the only person that really checks up on me is Charlie, the only person other than Jack-jack and dad that took the time to fill me in on everything that's happening on the other side. He was he only one that made my heart hurt more than it should have.


One day mom stopped coming home and Jessica decided that I was smarter than her and that I could get by with my Korean so the tutoring ended and for 3 hours every day the two of us would watch TV, eat, play and chat.


"Hey Amber." Jessica elbowed me.

"What do you want Jess! I'm trying to beat you here!" I focused on the screen.

I could tell she was pouting "Do you know what you're gonna be when you grow older?"

"I dunno, maybe a scientist or something, maybe even a dancer." I drifted the corner.

We were neck to neck for first place on mariokart when she red-shelled me and got 1st place.

"kekeke, I win!" She jumped off the couch "Amber, you should audition for SM! That way, we can still see each other a lot when I debut with my group!"

I sighed "Geez Jess, I don't know...my singing , what if I don't get in?"

"OH. MY. GOD. AMBER! I've heard you sing millions of times, your voice is amazing!" She slapped my arm.

"Thanks for the compliment, but that won't make me audition."

"Amber Josephine Liu."

The temperature dropped.

I put my hands up, "Alright, alright. I'll audition; just promise me you'll be there when I do the deed."

"Cross my heart! And don't forget our promise!" She snickered.

"Loser has to buy food. How could I forget?"


I stood in front of the building and took a deep breathe, Amber, fighting!

"Amber are you ready?" Jessica squeezed my hand. "Don't think about it, just perform."

I nodded and she led me to the audition room.

"Llama hwaiting!" She smiled and gave me a tight hug. "When you're done I'll treat you to some ice cream!"

"If we're getting ice cream then I want the big ones in Myeongdon! Three of 'em"

Jessica laughed. "Amber sometimes you can be such a fatass sometimes!"

I smiled and walked into the room with harsh looking people and stood where they pointed to.

"Please introduce yourself" A girl around my age said.

I bowed 90 degrees like Jessica said to and did as I was told "Annyeonghaseyo, Amber Liu imnida."

A man in his late 40's spoke up, "Amber is it okay if we ask you a few questions first?"

"Of course sir!" I nodded.

The table of people began to laugh, even the old man.

"Well Amber, first things first. Do you have any trouble with Korean?"

"Umm... well I can speak it for the most part, but I have trouble reading it."

He smiled widely "If you have trouble reading it then I guess you don't know our names do you Amber? Why don't we introduce ourselves."


After the introduction, Mr. Lee said there were only a few more questions left. He asked about who was watching me, what school I went to and why I wanted to become a singer.

I told them the whole truth, everything about my mom and how Jessica was my private tutor and friend, who somehow got me to audition for the company she's signed for.

When I was finished each of them stared at me as if I survived countless wars, it all seemed unreal, like right out of a drama.

I Just hope they believe me.

Mr Lee broke the silence and asked me to start my songs so I handed him the cd and as soon as they pressed play I began to sing K.Will's 'Left Heart' and Mc Max's 'Oh heart, Please Stop Now.'

Each of them seemed pleased and told me that they would contact me if I was chosen. I bowed again and smiled widely, "Thank you for your time."


When I stepped out of the room, Jessica was talking to a girl with a really bright smile in English, so she must be Tiffany?

I walked up to them and Jessica started to bombard me with questions.

I laughed "Jess, calm down introduce me to your friend first."

"Oh right, Tiffany this is Amber, Amber this is Tiffany." She gestured to the both of us. 

"Nice to meet you Tiffany" I smiled.

"Same here, but isn't Amber a girl name?"

I looked over at Jessica but she avoided my stare "I guess this girl didn't tell you but I'm a girl"

"Really? I'm sorry! So so sorry."

"Don't worry about it, I'm pretty sure we all know how forget Jessica is."

"True that."

"You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Jessica fell asleep in the bathtub one day."

Tiffany started laughing "Oh my god, I can totally see that happening!"

That's when Jessica exploded "YAH! I'm right here and Amber don't you dare make fun of me! I'll tell Tiffany about your 'incident!"

I whimpered... I can't believe Jessica saw me making stupid faces at the kids next door, she even took pictures...

"I thought you were gonna buy me ice cream?" I tried to change the conversation

"That's right! I kind forgot.." She smiled. "I was gonna ask Tiffany if she wanted to come"

"Ice cream? Tae-tae would love to go also!"

All of a sudden Taeyeon popped up beside me "I heard ice cream and my name in the same sentence, what's happening?"

I flinched and stared at the shorter girl, who looked turned to look at me. "You're that girl from the audition earlier! Nice job! Also, two for flinching." She punched my arm and snickered.

"Yah! Why is everyone in Korea so abusive! Jessica hits me on a daily basis and now you? I haven't even known you for that long!"


"I got in. I got in..." I dropped my phone and started shaking Jessica "I GOT IN! THIS STUPID LLAMA GOT INTO SMENTERTAINMENT!! This is worth celebrating!"

"Amber, do you know what time it is..."Jessica growled.

"TIME TO PARTY!! I GOT IN!! WHY AREN'T YOU EXCITED??"

"BECAUSE IT'S 4 AM JOSEPHINE!!!"


comment? or not... you don't really have to, this is just another one of those stories I really have to get out or it'll be the death of me.
So many questions about how this story will unravel.

Should I give Amber a lover? a rival? a harem? c; lol

Also if you haven't noticed, even though I'm sure you have, this story will be about Amber's adventures in Seoul with her friends...but will her harsh mother stop her and control her again? -Dramatic music-