Letter from a friend

Along for the ride

    "Miss Lee, you are aware of your meeting tomorrow right," Jessica said, standing before me with a plain expression on her face. I leaned back in my chair and nodded absently in response. I looked at myself in the large mirror next to the door on the other side of the room. I flinched. 

     A few days ago I was out on the town with my friend, Victoria. She suggested I get a new hairstyle, something to liven up my dull life. So I did... and immediately regretted it. I watched as Jessica flipped the pages on her clipboard franticly while looking for god-knows-what.

    "Ugh, just what is it your looking for," I asked while leaning over my desk, putting my head in my hands before letting out a long awaited sigh. This week had been a busy one. One of the magazines published under us had just been pulled off of store shelves because the cover celebrity had decided at last minute he no longer wanted to be on the cover and threatened to sue. That celebrity was none other that famous actor Choi Seunghyun.

     Seunghyun has had an obsession with me for the last six months. But I am no fool, I know his type. He goes after a girl until he finally gets her and then he's perusing his next target. He had agreed to do the cover only after he found out my job and what magazines we're published under my company. 

     We had met at a New Year's party my cousin Sooyoung had invited me to. There we're many idols there, Seunghyun being one of them. He bumped into me on my way to the bathroom and he somehow decided that I was his next target. Ever sense then he's been showing up at my apartment, asking my friends about me, and recently, sending flowers to my workplace. 

    So when the time came that I needed him to do a cover for me, I kissed up a little. I didn't slam the door in his face when he turned up at my doorstep, I met with him for lunch, and accepted his flowers instead of standing on my office balcony and cutting of the heads to show him how much I cared. 

     "You got a letter earlier this morning ma'am," Jessica said before finally finding a manila envelope and proudly handed to me. As I began to open it, I noticed Jessica was still standing in front of me.

   "You can leave now," I said impatiently. Jessica's eyes widened before nodding nervously and scampering towards the door in her impossibly tight pin skirt. Jessica is my close friend's girlfriend. He said she had desperately needed a job so I hired her as my personal assistant. She had been my assistant for a solid year now. She may not be the best, but she was certainly better than that Sulli girl I had before. She was always flirting with the men and was plain old unprofessional. She had to go. At least Jessica tried...

    I opened the large envelope only to find two Polaroid pictures and a folded piece of paper fall out. I laid them out on my desk and examined the pictures. One had a girl and a boy in front of what seemed to be a lake while splashing water on each other. The other one had the same two children but both we're on a bike. The boy driving it and the girl smiling and sitting on the handle bars. It didn't take long for me to notice the girl was me. The boy was an old childhood friend of mine... Jiyong was his name.

   I don't remember much about Jiyong besides the fact that he gave me that horrible nickname, Sunny. I only remember it now because my cousin Sooyoung who apparently used to play with us still calls me that. 

   I looked at letter. In cursive handwriting is read:

    Dear Sunny,

        I don't know if you remember me or not, but it's your old friend Jiyong. I've been abroad in the U.S.. for the past few years and am coming back to Seoul this summer to visit family. I haven't seen you sense we were children and thought it would be nice to see you as well too. If you want to see me again as well, please come to Little Italy at 6:30 PM this Sunday. I should be there by then. 

                                                                                            Your Old Friend,

                                                                                                     Kwon Jiyong

 

   I stared at the letter for a while, unsure of what to do. This was completely out of the blue. The last thing I expected was to get a letter from a childhood friend wanting to reconnect. One I barley remember for that matter. I tucked the pictures and letter back in the envelope and sat it in my top left desk drawer, deciding to figure out what to do later on. 

  I wiggled my computer mouse to be greeted when the background of Victoria, Sooyoung, and I at the New Years party. My hair was long then, but it was still dyed blonde. I smiled before clicking my e-mail to see if I had gotten any updates of a new celebrity to feature on the magazine. But all I had was a single e-mail from Sooyoung:

       Heard about what that man- Seunghyun did. Want me to punch him???

   I smiled yet again. Sooyoung was always so protective of me. I replied:

          No Sooyoungie. I'm okay for now. Got a letter from an old friend of ours, Jiyong. He's coming to visit and wants to see me again. Suggestions?

    Almost as soon as I hit the send button I got a reply. I knew Sooyoung was at work too at that law firm. She probably stopped researching a case just to e-mail me. That's my Sooyoungie.

         Jiyong?!?! I loved that kid! You should go see him, it'll be fun..... hey! Why didn't he want to see me?!

 

    I laughed at the last part of Soo's e-mail. I could practically hear her say that while stuffing her face with those chips she loves so much. I began to lay back in my chair. I had almost forgotten about work, I had things to do today. Things far more important than deciding to see an old friend. But if Sooyoung said to do it... I've got to right?

 

(should I continue?)