Eight

You're Beautiful...

Jae's POV

I was sitting in my class making a doodle of myself while everyone else was up talking and carrying on. It was Ms. Tang’s class time now but she gave us a break before we left for lunch. The bell should be ringing in a few. “Is that suppose to be you?” I heard Eli over my shoulder. I knew he was referring to my drawing. “So what if it is?” I said looking at him. He grinned and said. “Well you sure do draw yourself a lot nicer than you look” he laughed. “Shikkeuro!” (Means shut up!) I frowned and threw my eraser nailing him in the head. He walked away unscathed. Yoseob picked up my eraser for me and sat down next to me. “Kamsamnida” I said taking the eraser from him. “Hey Jae did you know that there are soccer tryouts going on today?” he asked. “Ne” I nodded still focused on my doodle. “They’re going on the whole week I think” I added. “So are you going to try out?” he asked. “Hm, I’m not sure. I’m not the athletic type of girl but then again it’s my last year I want to try some kind of sport I guess” I said. I shifted my eyes to him. “Are you thinking about trying out this time?” I asked. “Well…” was his only reply. “I think you should, maybe you could bond with some people trying out” I smiled. “Last time I wanted to play a sport no one wanted me on their team” he said with a sad expression. “How long ago was that Yoseob?” I asked. “My first year” he said. “And now we’re third years” I said giving him a warm smile. “You’re right” he said trying to smile a little. “If you want I’ll stay afterschool with you and maybe s few of the other girls will too. Plus Taylor’s on the girl’s team already” I said. “Oh chincha?” Yoseob exclaimed. I nodded “She’s really good” I smiled.

“I’m trying out too” we heard a voice behind us which made us jump. It was Lee Junho and his friend Chansung. “Junho what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be in class?” I gave him a disapproving look like Zsuzsi unnie would give. “Well the bell is about to ring for lunch anyway” he said throwing up his hands. Chansung who was already eating something nodded. “Give me one” I said to him as I held out my hand. “Ani, you don’t even know what it is” he said. “I don’t care I want to try it” I said. (He really doesn’t like giving up food) Chansung sighed and handed me a piece of the mysterious snack. I ate the piece he gave me. It tasted kind of funny but I swallowed it anyway. “Ew, what was that chocolate covered rice?” I asked. “Beans” he smiled. Junho, Yoseob and I looked at him with disgust. “What I was experimenting” Chansung said. I shook my head at him.

The bell finally rung. “Lunch time!” Chansung and I jumped up. I grabbed my lunch box. Yoseob grabbed his and we were off to the cafeteria. We left the class room and to our surprise Zsuzsi unnie was waiting next to it. “Junho what have I told you about skipping” she said grabbing Junho’s and Chansung’s ear. “You too Hwang Chansung” she said. “Mianhae!” they begged and she let them go. Yoseob and I were laughing a bit. Zsuzsi finally turned to us and smiled. “Ready to go?” she said, we nodded. “Hey unnies! Oppa!” Jenny said catching up to us. Camila appeared as well. “Hey you two” I smiled. “Annyong” Yoseob said. Suddenly I bumped into something hard. “Ow” I mumbled and realized that it was someone I bumped into rather than something. Before I could apologize he looked at me and said “Wow I’ve never seen you around before” (Uh…okay) He was unfamiliar to me as well. “Uh I haven’t seen you around before either” I said staring at him blankly. He smiled and laughed a little as he held out his hand. “Jang Hyunseung” he said. I shook his hand and introduced myself as well. “Jae Lee Wy” I said.  He smiled again nodded to the others and walked away. “Wow that was weird” Jenny said. “I agree “Camila said. “You haven’t seen Hyunseung before?” Zsuzsi asked. “Wait you’ve seen him around unnie?” I asked, “Ne he’s in class 3A” she smiled. “Oh” was all I could say. And here I thought I recognized just about all of the third year students. I mean I’ve been attending school with them for two years already…

“Yep Hyunseung a boy known for his 4D personality” Zsuzsi added. “Indeed he was 4D” I laughed a little.

We entered the cafeteria; everyone else at our table was already seated. “Annyong” we greeted and they greeted us the same. This time Mir was sitting at the table with his friend Sanghyun or “Cheondung” as Mir called him. I unpacked my lunch rather quickly and started to eat. One of the conversations that started up was about Jameel and the party she got invited to. “So was Karam there?” Krysten asked. “Ne” Jameel nodded. “Did you talk to him?” I asked. We all seem to be leaning in closer to her hoping she’d say yes but instead she sighed and said “No”. We all dropped our heads. “Wae?” Zsuzsi asked. “I was too nervous” Jameel said fiddling with her necktie. “Maybe next time” J unnie gave her a smile.

“Hey does anybody want the rest of my skittles?” Yoseob asked as he put a few in his mouth and held up the bag. “I do!” Mir shouted. Yoseob shrugged and started to hand him the bag. Everyone’s eyes widened. “No don’t do i-” before Jameel could finished her sentence the bag had already landed in Mir’s hands. He smiled at us as he ate a few of the colorful candies. Hero sighed. “Here it comes” she mumbled. 3…2…1.

Mir jumped up yelling “WAHHHHH!” he started to run off. “Do you know what you’ve just done?” I asked Yoseob. “Um did I do something wrong?” he asked with a confused look. We all nodded. “Never give Mir oppa candy” Joy said. “Now you have to catch him” Hero added. “Oh okay” Yoseob said standing up. I sighed. “I’ll help you” I said. “I’ll go too, I know a few strategies in catching my brother” Jameel smiled. “Hi guys!” Greta shouted as she approached our table with a wave. “Hi” I said. “Just a quick heads up, Joon is on his way over” she said looking at J unnie. Joanna hopped up quickly. “Well then looks like I’ll help catch Mir too” she said with a smile. It was a perfect way for her to evade Joon. Mir ran through the cafeteria. “After him!” I shouted and we took off running. “Mir calm down!” Jameel shouted after her hyper brother. It was amazing how this kid could eat a couple pieces of candy and suddenly bounce off the walls.

We saw Mir heading toward the classrooms. (If he causes too much commotion he’ll get in trouble...) YAHHHHHH!” Mir yelled with a laugh. “Yoseob and I will go to the left while you and Joanna unnie take the right” Jameel directed. I nodded. I knew it was a way to cut him off. J unnie and I did as we were told, we trapped Mir so he couldn’t get pass neither of us. “Now Mir we don’t want to get in trouble by the principal for making so much noise do we?” Jameel said in a calm tone as she walked closer to her brother. “Ne” Mir nodded. “Good now let’s go back to lunch” she said reaching for his hand but he snatched away and took off passing her and Yoseob again. “Why is he so fast?” Yoseob said, “The sugar” I replied.

“We caught Mir by his shirt!” we heard Greta’s voice a she approached with Krysten, Camila and Joy. “Well?” I said. “Where is he?” J unnie asked. “We caught him by his shirt...then he got away of course” Joy sighed. At this rate catching Mir will take up the rest of the lunch period. We noticed Jonghyun and Key walking toward us. “Yo” Jonghyun smiled. “Help us catch Mir” Camila said to Key. “Uh no” Key scoffed. “Last time I tried to catch Mir I ruined my hair” he said the side of his head as if it was so precious. Camila and the rest of us rolled our eyes. We looked at Jonghyun. “What I’m going to the bathroom” he said walking pass us. “You guys are no help at all” Krysten frowned. “Okay girls, Yoseob let’s get back to work” I said. We split up into teams this time Yoseob was with me. “Mianhae” he apologized. “It’s okay, now you know not to give him anything sweet” I laughed. Yoseob nodded.

 

After about 5 more minutes of chasing Mir around someone finally caught him back in the cafeteria. The person who caught the wild boy was no other than Lee Joon. “I found him now where’s my reward” he grinned. “Alright Joon oppa what do you want?” Jameel asked as she took Mir’s hand. “Do you really want to know?” his grin got bigger as he looked at Joanna. She sighed. Joon pointed to his cheek “Kiss me right here” he said. We all looked at Joanna. “Okay” she mumbled. “What!?” everyone exclaimed. She walked over to Joon who smiled like a Cheshire cat. She leaned in close to his cheek Joon anxiously waiting for her lips to touch his face. Joanna unnie reached into her little bag she carried around a put a sticker on his face. “There you go” she smiled. Joon ripped the sticker off. “What is this!?” he exclaimed. “A kiss” she said walking away. The sticker was a pair of lips. Everyone laughed and started to head back to the lunch table. Joon stood there with a hardened expression. “Joanna! That’s not the kiss I wanted” he yelled.

 

To be continued...