Six

You're Beautiful...

Jae’s POV


I was on my way to eat lunch, walking with J unnie and May. Yoseob wasn’t with me this time. When we left class he said he had “something” to do. He also said that last time. (I wonder what he’s doing….) Now hearing laughter coming from my friends I turned back to listen to the conversation that was going on. “Oh unnie your film is finished?” I asked Joanna. “Ne” she nodded. “So did my costumes come in handy?” May asked her. “Yep, they really did! They were perfect” J unnie squealed. “So who did you have playing the unicorns?” I asked. I was curious since just about all of us backed out of it. I was sorry to J unnie but I didn’t want to die shooting another film of hers. “Oh I just used Niel and his friends” she smiled. “Used?” May said with a laugh.
Ahn Daniel or Niel as we called him was Joanna’s (host) brother. Niel was kind of the quiet boy who was sort of terrified of his sister. He attended SIH as well but never came around. One day I caught him and asked “Why don’t we see you in school?” Niel’s reply was “I see that horrible sister of mine every day; my only break from her is at school! That’s why I don’t come around”
I didn’t think Joanna was that terrible to the kid. She would always show him affection, ruffling his hair cutely, hugging him, packing his lunch….Always referring to him as “My dear brother” Then she would dress him up and put ribbons in his hair…..-___-
Okay now I see how the 16 year old would consider her horrible. But to me it just shows how much she adores him. If only I could enjoy Taemin like that… (Yeah right…)
Suddenly I saw someone heading our way quickly. My eyes widened at his sight. “J unnie run!” I exclaimed. “Wae?” she asked giving me a confused look. May pointed in the direction I was looking. “That’s wae” she said. J unnie noticed Joon walking hastily toward us. She turned to run away but using great speed Joon caught her by the arm. “I found you jagiya” Joon said with a crooked grin. He back J unnie against the wall. “Joanna, when will you go on a date with me?” Joon leaned in closely as he put some of her hair behind her ear. “Aish Lee Joon why don’t you leave her alone, she doesn’t like you!” I exclaimed ready to grab him by the neck. “Mind your business” someone said from behind, grabbing my hand. It was Junhyung. I shook away from him. “Well?” Joon said. “Um” J unnie said turning her head away from him. (Unnie please tell me you’re going to say no!) May stood close to me. Everyone seemed to be waiting for Joanna’s answer…even Junhyung as we stood in weird silence. “Oh look giant hamster!!” J unnie exclaimed as she pointed to her left. “Eh!?” Joon exclaimed as he looked to his left as well. Junhyung did too. (Babos!) J unnie took off running the opposite direction.”Come on girls!” she yelled to us. May followed and I laughed “Mehrong!” I said sticking my tongue out and the two clueless delinquents. “Yah! Joanna!” Joon shouted. I had the feeling they would follow.
Joanna led us to her classroom. “How about we eat here for today?” she said. May and I looked at each other and nodded. We made a table out of a few desks. There were a couple of students in the room with us but they didn’t pay us much attention. “Unnie does Joon know where your class is?” I asked Joanna as I unpacked my lunch. She shook her head. “I don’t think he does” she smiled. I looked around the classroom and someone caught my eye. “Lee Jinki?” I said. “Oh unnie I didn’t know Onew oppa was in your class?” May asked. “He’s not, his class is 3A” J said staring at him intently. I remember her saying he was “So cute” I wondered if she still felt the same way. “Unnie why don’t you talk to him?” I asked. “Hmm?” Joanna said looking up from her rice. “You think he’s cute right? Go talk to him” I smiled. “I don’t know” she said her voice sounding unsure. Suddenly Onew stood up as if he was about to leave. He noticed us looking at him, he smiled and waved. We waved back but I noticed his eyes were mostly fixed on J unnie. Onew then left the room. “Unnie I swear he likes you” May squealed like a little girl. “Oh stop it” J unnie said. I could see her cheeks a bit red.

Passion of life, such thing as hope it doesn’t exist
I’m breathing simply out of life
My body feels ok, it’s nothing special


Those familiar words were coming from my cell phone (My new ringtone being Outsider’s “Acquaintance”) I almost forget I put it in my lunch bag. “Yoboseyo?” I answered. [“Hey dongsaeng where are you? And have you seen J unnie and May?”] It was Zsuzsi unnie’s voice. “Ne sorry unnie, the three of us ran into Joon and we didn’t want to go to the cafeteria so he could find us” I explained. [“Ah I see”] she said. “We’re in room 3C” I added. [“Okay, we’ll be there”] Zsuzsi unnie said hanging up the phone. I hung up my cell as well. “The other girls will eat here too” I said to Joanna and May.
After the other girls joined us we talked about how our day was going and of course had a few laughs...
On my way back to class I passed the window where I first saw Yoseob eating outside. Curious, I looked out to see if I could see him sitting under his favorite tree but instead I saw him kneeling down in a corner. “What is he doing?” I mumbled to myself. Yoseob soon stood up wiping a little sweat from his forehead. I noticed a little dirt patch that seem to have little flower buds sprouting. (Flowers? Is this the something he said he had to do?) I wondered. I left the window and started walking back to my classroom with a little smile on my face. (Yang Yoseob…you’re truly something else…)

Yoseob’s POV

After school was over I hurried outside to catch up with Jae. We didn’t leave class together this time because today I had English class in 3D. “Jae yah!” I yelled when I spotted her standing with a couple of her friends. “Yoseob, hi” she smiled. “Oppa annyong” Joy smiled. “Annyong” I smiled back. “Hi noona” I bowed to Zsuzsi. Jae stretched “So tomorrow no school! I’m so glad it’s the weekend!” she exclaimed. “So what are we doing?” she smiled to us. “Oh unnie, I will be practicing again” Joy said. “Aish Kyoung In do you ever take a break from the piano” Jae sighed. She looked at Zsuzsi with hopeful eyes. “Sorry, Junsu’s taking me somewhere but he did exactly tell me where this place was” Zsuzsi said. Jae dropped her head and finally looked at me. “Mianhae, I’ll be helping out my parents at the shop tomorrow” I said rubbing the back of my neck. “Wae!?” Jae pouted. “Everyone has something to do but me. Even the other girls are busy! Licelot hanging out with Jonghyun, May will be at Minho’s, Jenny will probably be murdering Dongho, Jameel got invited somewhere and I think that Karam boy will go too.” She whined. “Mianhae” we all apologized with a laugh. “It’s alright... I’ll just stay home with Taeminnie and play video games all day” she sighed once more. “Yo” a guy said approaching us. “Babe!” Zsuzsi ran to the guy and hugged him. The dude kissed her forehead. “You ready to go?” he asked her. “Ne” she smiled. He noticed me and held up his hand as a sign of saying “hi”, I nodded to him. “Dongsaengs!” he said as he ruffled Joy and Jae’s hair. “Yo Kim Junsu” Jae smiled. “Well we’ll be going now, see you later” Zsuzsi waved to us. “I’ll be going to” Joy bowed and waved cutely. “Bye bye” Jae said in English. “Ready?” she looked at me. “Let’s go” I smiled.
“So that guy was Zsuzsi noona’s boyfriend?” I asked. “Ne, Kim Junsu he goes to the college not far from here” Jae said. “Oh cool” I said. We walked for a minute in silence. “Jae I have a favor to ask” I started to say. “Hm, what is it?” she asked. “Um if you don’t mind could you help me with my English…I have a test Monday…and I-” “Sure I will” Jae smiled cutting me off…
-------------------------
“Lee umma I’m home!” Jae shouted as she opened the door to her house. “Oh welcome home dear!” I heard a cheerful voice but didn’t see a face. Suddenly a tiny woman peeked from a room. “Oh you have a guest! And he’s a boy!” the woman smiled. “Annyonghaseyo Yoseob imnida” I bowed and introduced myself respectively. “Oh annyonghaseyo Yoseob shi” Jae’s mother smiled. “Come in” she gestured her arms for me to enter the house all the way. I did as I was told sliding of my shoes at the door like Jae did. “Jae yah is he your” Mrs. Lee seemed as if she didn’t want to complete her sentence. “Umma, he’s my friend from school” Jae said quickly. “Oh, I’m baking cookies should I bring them up to your room when they’re done?” Mrs. Lee asked. “Ne, Kamsamnida Lee umma” Jae smiled and stared heading for the stairs. (Her room!?) “Yoseob ah, you coming?” Jae asked. “N-ne” I nodded. I looked as Mrs. Lee and she giving me an approving nod. I followed Jae upstairs. We stopped at the first door on the right and entered. I started to feel nervous. I mean this was the first time I was in any girl’s room besides my sister. “Ta-da!” Jae said as she sat her bag down on her bed. I thought her room would be pink with a lot of bears or something but I was surprised to see white walls with a few posters here and there, a simple place to study and a small TV. I sat down on the floor. “You mind if I change? I can’t stand to be in my uniform at home” she said. “C-change in here!?” I exclaimed. Jae looked at me and laughed as she grabbed a few clothes. “Of course not silly I’m going to the bathroom” she smiled. “Oh mianhae” I said pretty much embarrassed, I looked the other way. “It’s okay...and Yoseob loosen up a little it’s alright to be in my room you’re my friend” she said leaving out the door.
She returned a few minutes later wearing a long sleeve hoody and sweat pants, her hair tied in a messy ponytail. “Alright where should we begin” she smiled as she sat next to me. I took out my text book. “Well I mostly need to practice saying words and phrases verbally, I can write them” I said. “Kids, here are the cookies!” Mrs. Lee said entering the room with a plate and two glasses of milk. The smell was nice. “Kamsamnida” Jae and I smiled. “Let me know if the two of you need anything else” she smiled. “Ne” I nodded.
Jae started to help me while we ate her mother’s delicious sugar and chocolate chip cookies. About an hour passed and we made it to the last word. “Optimistic” Jae said. “Op…to” I paused for a minute. “Take your time” Jae said. I tried it again. “Op-to-mis-tic” I said and looked at her to see if I was right. “Correct!” she smiled. I sighed with relief. “Good job I know you’ll pass the verbal part of your test for sure” Jae patted me on the back. “Ne thanks to you” I smiled. I noticed a couple of guitars leaning against the wall. “You play?” I asked as I pointed to the instruments. “A little” Jae said. “The electric one my birth parents bought me last Christmas. The acoustic one was given to me by Lee appa” she said sliding over to them. “I want to hear you play” I said. “Eh, okay...” she said grabbing the acoustic guitar. “I only know how to play a little of Jason Mraz I’m Yours” she said. “Chincha? I like that song” I smiled. Jae nodded and started to play the melody…
I decided to sing some of the words…
Well open up your mind and see like me
Open up your plans and damn you’re free look into and you’ll find love love love
…”

Jae’s POV


Yoseob asked me to play him a song so I played the only one I learned a bit of on acoustic. As I played he started to sing. I was shocked by his voice…it was beautiful…
Listen to the music of the moment people, dance and sing
We’re just one big family
And it’s our god forsaken right to be loved loved loved loved loved

Before he could get to the chorus a few faces interrupted. “Noona you have a boy in your room!?” Taemin shouted. “Noona I want to come in too!” Sungjong whined. “Oh my god your guitar playing is terrible!” Dongho laughed. “Yah!”I shouted dropping my guitar and throwing pillows at the kids at the door. I chased them off; I could hear Yoseob laughing the whole time. “And Shin Dongho shouldn’t you be apologizing to Jenny!!”

To be continued……