Twelve

You're Beautiful...

Jae's POV

“Anhyong unnie!” May said as she and Minho walked off holding hands. “Anhyong” I smiled. We were all leaving norebang. Everyone was either going home or going somewhere else. Even though it was around 10:30, I was going back home. “Noona, I’m going to Sungjong’s could you tell umma and appa?’ Taemin asked. “Ne” I nodded. “Alright see you later noona!” Sungjong waved as he and my brother ran off. I started my walk home. “I know you aren’t going to walk alone are you?” Dujun said appearing next to me. “I can” I said. “You sure?” he asked. “Well if you insist on walking with me then stay” I smiled a little. “Well I am a good friend so I will gladly walk with you” he said. I laughed at him a bit. “You know you imitate Son Dam Bi pretty well” I said recalling the song he sung earlier. “Really?” he said. I nodded. “I think I imitate her pretty well too especially at 1,2,3,4 do you wanna” he started to do the dance. I laughed at him. “Wow” I said. “Yeah I’m the best” he said confidently as he put his hands behind his head. “It that Yoseob didn’t show up” he said. “Don’t remind me” I said looking down. I started to feel upset and a little angry. “Mianhae” he said. I noticed we were at Manchan’s already. “My house his just around here” I pointed “Oh so you live by one of my favorite stores” Dujun smiled. “You shop here?” I asked. “Ne they sell the best pepero” he smiled. “I like the pepero they have here too, they sell more variety than the other convenience stores around here” I said. “Exactly” Dujun said. “Well we’re here” I said  stopping in front of my house. “Oh, who’s that?” Dujun said lowly. I saw someone sitting in front of my door. It was Yoseob…but something felt wrong…

“Yoseob…?” I called his name. I could hear him sobbing a bit. Dujun and I rushed to him. “Yoseob ah…” I said worried. “Mian…hae” Yoseob responded. He wouldn’t look at me. “What’s wrong?” I asked turning his face toward me. I was shocked to see his lip bleeding and his faced bruised. So many emotions  started to build within me. “Who did this too you!?” I exclaimed. Yoseob held his stomach as if he were in pain. “Answer me!” I yelled. I couldn’t believe what was going on, someone beat him up and I wanted to know who. “J-Junhyung…and…some other guys…” he said. (Junhyung…?) “Junhyung?” I heard Dujun repeat. “Come on let’s get you inside” I said trying to help Yoseob up. Dujun tried to help too. “I think you need to leave” I looked at him. “I want to help” “Leave!” I yelled at him. I stood up. “It was your ‘friend’ who did this to him!” I yelled. I could feel tears building in my eyes. “But Jae I didn-”. “Go Dujun!” I yelled again pushing him away.

“What’s going on!?” I heard Lee umma open the door. Dujun left. “Umma Yoseob’s hurt…” I said going back to Yoseob and helping him stand. Umma held the door opened while I helped Yoseob inside. I took him upstairs while umma got the medicine and bandages. I turned my light on in my room and led him to the bed.  I sat down next to him, he wouldn’t look at me…

“Mianhae” he apologized. “Why do you keep apologizing Yoseob?” I said trying to hold back my tears. “I didn’t make it to norebang for your birthday…” he said, tears rolling down his cheeks. “Don’t worry about that now” I said wiping his face. Lee umma entered with the supplies. I guess she knew I wanted to be alone with him, she nodded and left my room. I took a cotton swab and put a little medicine on it. “Yoseob look at me” I said guiding his face with my hand he still looked down as I cleaned his lip. Under his eye was bruised. “Why would Junhyung do this too you….I didn’t know he could be so evil…” I mumbled. “He was drunk..” Yoseob replied. “I could smell alcohol on him…and the other guys” he said. Yoseob winced as I touched his cheek. I finished cleaning up his face. “He even ruined the gift I had for you…” Yoseob said. I looked at him, he was staring at me directly. I could see the hurt in his eyes. “I’ve been growing flowers at school for you…for your birthday…and now they’re gone” Yoseob said turning his head away from me again…

I remembered seeing him at school that day watering them. (Those were for me?) That’s what he was during all that time when he would skip lunch…I felt my heart drop. He was working so hard on them..

“I should go now” Yoseob said trying to stand up but he sat back down quickly holding his stomach. “Yoseob let me see…” I said. “No I’m fine..” he tried to smile. “No you’re not!” I said. He stood up anyway and I grabbed his wrist. I pulled him closer to me and lifted up his shirt. I knew he was embarrassed. He had a bruise on his side his stomach was red. (Why…did they…) I couldn’t hold back my tears anymore and started to cry… “Mianhamnida..” I apologized….

 

Yoseob’s POV

Jae started to cry. I pulled down my shirt and sat back down. “Why are you crying…?’ I tried to smile for her. “I’m okay” I said trying to comfort her with my words. She knew I wasn’t…. “I was mad at you…for not showing up… but if only I knew what was happening…” she said in between sobs. She still held onto my wrist. “I’m ..Sorry” she said in English. I felt my tears coming back again. I didn’t want her to be sorry for me… I didn’t want my friend to cry because of me… I pulled her into a hug.

Jae’s POV

Yoseob pulled me into a hug but it wasn’t making me feel any better. I felt guilty for being mad…I wish I could’ve been there to protect him from Junhyung…Yoseob was one person that didn’t deserve what happened  to him tonight. My dislike for Junhyung just turned to hate…

Yoseob pulled back. “Some Birthday huh?” he said looking at me. I dried my tears and gave a weak smile. “Yeah” I said as I lay down. I looked at the ceiling. Yoseob lay back with me. I turned over to look at him, he did the same… “I promise to grow you more flowers…” he said smiling a little. (How can he still smile at me…?) “Okay?” he said. I smiled back a little and nodded. “Okay” I said linking  my pinky finger with his…

We lay there looking at each other in silence, normally this moment would’ve felt awkward but it didn’t…

My eyes started to feel heavy…I was so tired now…

The last thing I saw before I shut my eyes was Yoseob smiling…

To be continued….