Seventeen

You're Beautiful...

Jae's POV

It was a new morning, a Monday morning…the start of another week full of exams. I was tired as I dressed myself for school this morning. Instead of Taemin coming to wake me up like he would normally do. Lee umma came in; Taemin was still sleeping which was a surprise, since he was always up first. He stayed up as late as I did, studying.  We both wanted to pass our exams badly, we needed too. Or we would suffer the consequences later…

I grabbed my bag and headed down stairs for breakfast. Taemin was already at the table resting his head on his hands. (He must be really sleepy…) I ate my breakfast and watched my brother try to eat his. When he would close his eyes I would take a little food off his plate and put it on mine.

“Alright you two, be off before you’re late” Lee umma smiled. I stood up but Taemin slept. “Yah, let’s go” I said poking his forehead. “But umma” he turned to his mother with a whine. She gave him a stern look. Taemin sighed and stood up. We walked to the door and slipped on our shoes, umma handed us our lunches and we were out the door. Taemin went the opposite way to school, the longer route. While I took the usual. When I turned the corner at Manchan’s I saw an unfamiliar figure standing with his back toward me….well at least I thought he was unfamiliar. I still recognized his stature but his hair was different. “Yoseob?” I said approaching slowly. He turned around and smiled. “Oh you’re here” he said. My eyes widened. It was my friend and he was definitely blonde now! I walked toward him quickly. “Oh my god!” I exclaimed. “When did this happen?” I said as I rubbed my fingers through his hair. “You don’t like it?” he asked as his smiled dropped. “No, I love it” I smiled. I was fascinated by his new hair. I thought he looked really nice. We started our walk to school. “Did you do it yourself?” I asked still staring at him. Yoseob shook his head no. “Ani, J noona and the others did it” he smiled. “Wow” I said. (It must’ve been when they were all at Zsuzsi’s…) I pouted. (I wish I could’ve gone…) I looked at Yoseob who seemed to be staring at his feet while he walked. “You’re bound to turn some heads today” I said. Yoseob rubbed the back of his neck. “You think so?” he asked. I nodded. “Definitely”

We had just made it through the campus gates when I was stopped by someone pulling my hair. “Yah!” I pulled away. I turned to see Eli with that grin I hate so much on his face. “Jae yah annyong” he smiled. “Shoo bird I don’t have any crumbs today” I mumbled. “Haha” he said giving me a fake laugh. I stuck my tongue out at him. “Who’s your friend?’ he said looking at Yoseob. “Uh...” was all I could say. (Does he really not recognize him -__-?) Eli looked at Yoseob again. “Whaa! It’s you I thought you were someone else” he exclaimed. “Babo” I said. Yoseob laughed a little. “Yeah it’s me” he smiled. “Nice hair man” Eli said touching the top of Yoseob’s spiky hair. “Kamsamnida” Yoseob said. Eli walked off and we moved on. “Do I really look that different” Yoseob asked. “Not so much, but then again Eli is just slow” I assured him.  I saw Dujun ahead of us. “Hey Dun bug!” I shouted, he was standing around with Hyunseung, Joon and Seungho. Dujun turned around but didn’t say anything to me. He walked off with the others. “Jerk” I mumbled as I jutted out my bottom lip. “Dun bug” was a nickname I gave Dujun out of boredom. He kept saying that he didn’t like because it reminded him of a dune buggy. Even though he said he didn’t like it...he still answered to it…

The next four hours seemed to go by slowly in class…. But once they were over I was relieved… Yoseob brought his books over and sat next to me during the little “study time” we had before lunch. “Jae yah aren’t you going to open your books?’ he asked. “I’m tired of studying I’ve done it enough” I mumbled as I put my head down on my desk. Yoseob shrugged and opened his text book. I watched him as he flipped through the pages. I looked at his hands.

How could someone with such a baby face have such manly hands….I stared at my friend for a moment admiring his features. This blonde really did look good on him… “Hey Yoseob…” I said. Yoseob looked at me answering with an “Hm?” “You know what you remind me of?” I smiled. He thought for a moment. “No, what?” he smiled back. I paused for a moment then finally responded. “An angel” I said with a little laugh. Yoseob just stared at me. I could see he was starting to feel embarrassed, his cheeks turning red. He turned away from me. “Yah don’t say things like that” he said, then pinched my cheek. I sat up. “But you do! You know like the little cherub angels” I smiled pinching his cheeks back. “No I don’t” he said. I let his cheeks go. “Well I think cherub angels are adorable” I said. Right then the bell rung for lunch….

In the hall way I saw Dujun again and this time I know he saw me, but when I tried to wave he just walked straight pass. I didn’t understand what was wrong with him today… Did I do something wrong? I didn’t really get why he was ignoring me…but speaking to everyone else. If he was going to continue to be like that then maybe I shouldn’t care…

 

Yoseob’s POV

 

School was over and I had told Jae to go on ahead. My English teacher wanted to have a talk with me. When I feared for the worse and thought the news she had to give was going to be bad. She smiled at me and explained that I was doing exceptionally well in her class. I knew why I was doing so well and it was because of my friend. Jae was helping me pass the class by helping me study. I was grateful to her for even staying up late sometimes to teach me certain words...

Now I was in a hurry to catch up to her before she made it home to tell her my good news.

Suddenly I bumped into someone causing their books to scatter all over the floor. “Mianhamnida” I apologized as I collected the books quickly. I looked up to see a cute girl looking down at me. “Its okay” she smiled. She was so adorable; her hair was short and straight. I handed her books and stood up to bow. “I like your hair” she said. “Oh kamsamnida” I said. “My name is Min by the way” she said. “Oh nice to meet you I’m Yoseob” I introduced myself. “Yoseob” she repeated my name. “Well it’s nice to meet you Yoseob” she smiled at me once more before walking off. I watched after her… (Min, huh…)

 

Jae’s POV

 

I was walking home alone since Yoseob got called after class by his English teacher. I sighed to myself a little. (I wonder what’s for dinner….) When I approached Manchan’s I saw Dujun waiting there. This guy had been ignoring me all day… and for what? I don’t know. This time I wasn’t going to bother with “hi” or ask him what was his problem. I was just going to walk by and ignore him too. As I started to pass him I didn’t make any eye contact, but suddenly felt him grab my wrist. This little action of his annoyed me. (Why did he want to say something now!?) “Yah what do you-” before I could complete my words Dujun pressed his lips to mine. I was shocked at what was happening and I wanted to pull away…but I couldn’t. He pulled me closer to him... I dropped my bag finding myself slowly wrapping my arms around his neck. This moment felt so unreal…

 

Yoseob’s POV

I stopped jogging when I saw Jae and Dujun in front of Manchan’s. He kissed her pulling her closer. Jae slowly dropped her bag and wrapped her arms around his neck…

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. My heart dropped…

I didn’t want them to notice me so I turned around going the opposite way. I didn’t understand why I was feeling like this, and I’ve never felt this way before… I put my hand over my eyes...

(Why…?)

 

To be continued…….