Sons of the Shadow

The Royal Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 53: Sons of the Shadow

 

 

“I’m just done crying. That’s all.” I throw some dirty laundry into the basket in a feeble attempt to tidy the bomb site that has become my bedroom. “Stop being suspicious.”

Yuri and Jessica exchange knowing looks between them, their arms folded. “Forgive us for finding your suddenly upbeat, nervous, secretive and evasive change in attitude alarming. It’s not like we care or anything.”

“Oh, stop being so over dramatic, Jessi.” I sigh. “I’m just keeping myself busy. Sitting around and crying won’t help in finding Taeyeon.”

“It is kind of weird though, Fany.” Yuri chimes in after a moment. “First you’re an emotional wreck, then you’re spotted galivanting around the city with Jay for two weeks straight, and now for the past few days you’ve been totally silent.”

“It’s not that weird.” I emphasize, sitting down on my bed and facing them both as they stand before me like two police officers conducting an interrogation. “Jay was a nice distraction for a while, but Michelle gave me a good talking to about how I have an image to upkeep, so I’ve just decided to lay low for a while.”

“A little too low, if you ask me.” Jessica remarks, unconvinced. “You’ve been ignoring both our calls and texts for days now – which is not normal. Even Jay got in contact with us, asking if you’re okay.”

“Oh my god, I’m fine. Alright?” I put my hands up in surrender. “I’m dealing with this in the only way I know how.”

“Sica,” Yuri says softly, unfolding her arms. “Maybe we are being a little harsh on Fany.”

“See, Jessi?” I gesture a hand to Yuri. “Even your fiancé agrees that you’re being over the top.”

“You may have Yuri fooled, but I know you Stephanie Hwang Miyoung. And you’re a terrible liar.” She says with a challenging smile. “You’re up to something. I can tell. So, you might as well just tell us – the jig is basically already up.”

I look at Yuri. I look at Jessica. I weigh everything up in my mind and choose my next words very carefully. “I’m not admitting anything, but if I was up to something, what would it matter?”

“Because if you’re up to something now, that something is most likely to do with the investigation to find Taeyeon and take down the kidnappers. Which you have been banned from.”

“Which could also be dangerous.” Yuri supplies.

“And if it’s dangerous, we should know in case something happens to you.” Jessica comes forward and sits beside me. “So, what is it?”

“I never said it was anything.”

“Tiff, I’m gonna punch you in a second if you don’t fess up. Right. Now.” Jessica seethes with infuriation at my evasion.

“I don’t think she’s kidding, Fany.” Yuri grimaces.

“Okay. Maybe I’m up to something. But that’s all I can say.”

“I knew it!” Jessica yells accusingly at me. “You’re interfering with the investigation, aren’t you?”

“Not exactly.”

“Then what are you doing?”

“I can’t tell you, Jessi.”

“We’ve been best friends since we were in diapers and you can’t tell me what you’re doing?”

“I want to, I really do but-“

“It’s dangerous.” Yuri supplies, suddenly looking serious. “Right?”

“Well, it’s not dangerous. Yet.”

“Tiffany, I swear to the Lord Almighty, if you get yourself killed-“

“I’m not gonna get killed!” I say, frustrated. “Well, at least I most likely won’t.”

“You have to tell us what’s going on, Fany.”

“I really can’t-“

“Alright then.” Jessica stands up abruptly and stomps toward to stairs, leaving Yuri and I dumbstruck. “If you’re not gonna tell us then I bet your father would love to know that you’re up to something!” She yells.

“What- No!” I spring up from my place on the bed and sprint down the stairs after her. “Jessica! Don’t!”

“You haven’t left me with any choice!”

I catapult toward her and throw my body against the door just as she’s about to open it. She lets out an indignant squeal as she stumbles to the side and nearly falls into one of the couches.

“What the are you-!”

“Jessi!” I cut in, raising my hand in a signal of peace, before her temper can blow this any more out of proportion. “Please.” I let my voice drop to a calmer tone and volume. “You don’t understand.”

“Because you’re not letting me understand.” She responds pointedly. “I’m showing you genuine worry and concern and all you’re doing is disregarding it under the pretense of some unutterable secret.” She huffs and lets her shoulders drop.

“I’m sorry.” I say coming forward and tangling her in an overdue embrace. “Things have been so crazy lately. I didn’t mean to disregard your caring about me.”

“It’s okay.” She murmurs softly after a moment, nuzzling her nose into my shoulder. “You’re just an sometimes.”

“I can’t argue with that.”

She pulls away and looks into my eyes vehemently. “Now, tell me.”

With a thick swallow and a nod, I lead her back upstairs.

 

 

* * *

 

 

“Okay.” I lace my fingers together upon my lap, my nerves on edge. “If I tell you guys, you have to promise to not say a word to anyone.” I point at them both gravely. “Not your parents, your maids, your cousins, your siblings, your dogs-“

“Damn, this must be serious if we can’t even tell the dogs.” Yuri says, and for a moment we all exchange little smiles and the tension in my shoulders unwinds slightly.

I exhale. “If anyone finds out, this whole thing could be put in jeopardy.”

“Tiff, you’re scaring me.” Jessica’s eyebrows draw together as she puts a caring arm around my shoulders. “What’s happening?”

“Donghae and I are making an alliance with The Hashashin to start our own investigation.”

“The Hasha-what now?” Yuri questions.

Jessica only stares at me. “You’re kidding. The Hashashin are a myth-“

“They’re not.” I state. “I went down into the vault and checked everything out. They’re as real as day.”

“There’s no way…” Jessica trails off, eyes looking distant.

“I can show you everything.” I say confidently. “I have files and records of correspondence between the palace and The Hashashin that date back for literally hundreds of years.”

“I don’t like this, Fany.” Jessica says carefully, turning her eyes back toward me. “The rumors about the Hashashin have never been good-“

“Don’t worry, I know.” I reassure her. “I’ve done my research.”

“Would someone care to explain? Because I’m completely lost.” Yuri says, looking between us expectantly.

“The Hashashin are a top-secret organization that worked for my family for hundreds of years.” I start, turning to Yuri. “They’re almost like the FBI or secret services, but even more high profile and secretive – if that’s possible.”

“They’ve also been known to kill people.” Jessica cuts in. “Innocent people.”

“The politician they killed definitely was hardly innocent.” I combat, getting to my feet. From my bedside table I retrieve a manila folder and place it into Jessica’s hand. “Read it. All the information is there.”

Without a word, Jessica flips it open and begins scanning the various pieces of evidence vehemently. Yuri is still looking at me with a tinge of confusion in her brown eyes, so I take a breath and explain the details of the murder committed by the Hashashin that led my family to break ties with them.

After a moment, Jessica hands Yuri the folder and laces her fingers together in her lap, looking extremely thoughtful.

“Now do you trust me?” I ask, sitting back down beside her.

“I’ve never not trusted you.” She sighs. “It’s them I don’t trust.”

“It’s a bit of a gamble, I know. But I have Donghae backing me on this. He’s helped me take every precaution to make this as safe as possible.” I exhale. “Something about this investigation doesn’t feel right and Donghae knows it too.”

“I have to agree with Fany on this.” Yuri sighs, closing the file gently. “This investigation has seemed off to me as well.” She smiles at me encouragingly. “Do what you have to do.”

“When are you meeting with them?” Jessica asks quietly.

“Tomorrow.”

“.” Jessica breathes, reaching out to squeeze my hand.

Yuri comes to sit on the other side of me, leans her head onto my shoulder and takes my free hand in hers.

“Are you scared?” Yuri asks.

“Very.” I give a breathy laugh. “But I’d run head first into the depths of hell without a second thought if it meant finding Taeyeon.”

They both draw their arms around me, minimizing the space between us, and as I feel Jessica’s breath hit the side of my neck and feel the steady thump of blood being pushed through Yuri’s veins, it becomes truly apparent how there’s a chance that this may not end well at all.

 

 

* * *

 

I sit in silence and watch as the man sweeps over the room and furniture with a handheld scanner. Donghae stands by the door with a pensive expression held on his face, cradling his chin between his fingers.

After a few more moments of beeping and inspecting the man straightens up, latching the device back onto his belt. “I’ve examined the whole room thoroughly and there are no signs of any bugs or surveillance devices, Your Highness. Is there anywhere else that requires inspection?” He bows toward Donghae, awaiting further orders.

Donghae exhales a breath of relief. “No, thank you, Jungpil. That will be all. You are free to leave.” The man arranges his tools back into his case before Donghae addresses him once more. “I hope you have a good evening, Jungpil.” He says, walking the man toward the door. “But, as I mentioned before, the work you have done in this room, it stays here. You can’t mention this to anyone – not even the former King. Do you understand?”

Jungpil nods quickly, his near-bald head glinting under the office lights. “Of course, Prince. Not a word.”

He bids us a respectful farewell before Donghae clicks the door shut and turns to me, his demeanor ever so serious. “Let’s go over this one more time and finalize the details.” He strides to his desk and pulls out a folder. Moving toward me, he spreads it’s contents out onto the coffee table.

I swallow down, my breathing feeling shallow and tight. By tomorrow, we will be face to face with the Hashashin. Tomorrow we may be one step closer to finding Taeyeon. Either sentiment fills me to the brim with juxtaposing emotions; on one hand there’s excitement, happiness to finally be able to get somewhere in finding Taeyeon, but on the other there’s dread and anxiety over the idea of facing a secret organization that has been known to murder to help their cause.

“I’ve brought my men so you can meet them before tomorrow.”

My eyes flicker over to where he stands, gazing down at the various blue prints and plans splayed out before him. “Good,” I take a breath. “Going over the plan with all of us present will be helpful.”

He nods in agreement before leaning over and pressing a button on his desk telephone. A moment of static ensues.

“Your Highness?” A voice answers.

“Luhan. Send them in.”

“Right away, sir.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter