Lips Upturned

The Royal Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 51: Lips Upturned

 

 

 

I chew the inside of my cheek until it’s raw.

 

“I can’t believe my father forced you to come here to keep an eye on me.” I mutter, slumping down onto the couch gracelessly. “I feel like an eighteen year-old again.”

 

Henry’s smile is small and fond. “He’s only concerned, Your Highness.”

 

I swallow. “A little too concerned, if you ask me.” I sigh and check the time. “When is Yuri getting here?”

 

“I received notice that Miss Kwon left her office building about fifteen minutes ago. She should be here soon.”

 

I look up at him. “Why don’t you take a load off while we wait?”

 

A moment passes; he remains rooted to his spot. “’Take a load off’, Your Highness?”

 

“I mean, why don’t you sit down and keep me company until Yuri gets here?”

 

“But, Your Highness, that isn’t-“


“As Queen, I demand you to sit down.” I raise an eyebrow and attempt a joking smile.

 

“As you wish, my Queen.” He sits and seems to regard me thoughtfully for a moment. “May I offer you my thoughts, Your Highness?”

 

I nod. “Of course.”

 

He hums in thought and draws his eyebrows together before speaking. “From all my years of watching you grow, I’ve come to realise that you think of yourself as inadequate.” He continues to stare at me, his face working an array of emotions. “Whether it’s because your father put Michelle on a pedestal and you always felt second best, or some other reason, I want to let you know that you’re not inadequate. You’re doing an absolutely fine job as Queen while coping with this terrible situation. I’m very proud of you.”

 

Without hesitation, I pull him into my arms and hug him tightly. “God, Henry, I should force you to sit down more often.”

 

He laughs; freer than I thought was possible – especially from someone as straight-laced as Henry.

 

“As butler it is my duty to serve you and your family. Speaking my mind is not part of the job description.”
 

“Yeah? Well, I’m going to change that.”

 

My office door opens suddenly and Henry shoots up from his seat. Yuri enters the room, looking and smiling curiously at us. “Did I interrupt something…?”
 

I laugh and wave it off. “Oh, no, Henry and I were just talking informally for a change.”

 

“Oh, nice.”
 

Henry falls into his usual respectful bow as Yuri comes closer. “Miss Kwon.”
 

“Henry. Nice to see you.”

 

He simply nods. “I shall be waiting outside, Your Majesty.”

 

We watch him leave. As the door clicks shut, Yuri thuds heavily onto the couch beside me.

 

“You’re looking a little better.” She says.

 

“That’s surprising.” I lean back tiredly. “I feel like I haven’t slept in years.” I exhale nosily and tilt my chin to the ceiling. “The scary thing is that I think I’m getting used to all this that’s happening.”

 

“That’s human, Fany. We adapt.”

 

“I hope so.” I mutter, swallowing down. I look over at her as she leans her elbow up on the armrest, leaning her face into her hand, looking exhausted. “You’re looking pretty tired yourself.” I nudge her gently.

 

She lifts her head and gives a sloppy smile. “Just got a lot on, you know, like everyone does right now.”
 

I nod slowly.

 

“All this wedding planning is driving me crazy. Sica is driving me crazy.”

 

I chuckle quietly. “Yeah…well that’s what being married is like…and Jess is just crazy in general.”

 

“Tell me about it.” She smirks.

 

“How are you two?”

 

“Not bad. Good. Great even. We’re getting stronger everyday.”

 

I stare at her for a moment and suddenly I feel tears welling up in my eyes. Yuri sees before I can wipe them away.

 

“I’m sorry.” I say shakily as she puts her arm around me in comfort. “It’s just you and Jess remind me-“
 

“Of you and Taeyeon.” She finishes. “It’s alright, I understand. I should’ve been more careful-“
 

“No, no,” I shush her. “I’m just being emotional. Just when I feel like I’m coping better, it hits me all at once.” I lean my head on her shoulder, as her hand rubs

gentle circles on my back.

 

“What are friends for, eh?”

 

I raise my head and try to smile. “Thanks for being here.”
 

“It’s the least I can do.”

 

I pluck a tissue from the box on the coffee table and dab at my eyes as I stand to check my mascara in the mirror. “What was it you wanted to talk about, anyway?”

 

She watches my attempt at recomposing myself quietly and laces her fingers together. Binning the tissue, I take my place next to her again.

 

“Uhm…it’s just that Jessica mentioned something about…” she hesitates a little. “Jessica let it slip that you saw Siwon in prison.” I open my mouth in defense, “But before you get angry!-“ She puts her hands up, “She didn’t mean to tell me. It just slipped out by accident.”

 

I sigh.

 

She searches my face carefully. “Tell me what happened…your thoughts?”

 

I shrug. “We just talked. We talked about the past, when we were teenagers. And then he begged me to believe in his innocence.”

 

“Do you, you know, believe him…?”
 

“Honestly…I did. But now, I’m not so sure.” I glance at the door before moving a little closer to her. “I don’t think I’m supposed to tell you this but…they found more evidence that proves Siwon is the one behind this.”
 

“Like what?”
 

“They looked into his bank account and found that he’d been paying large amounts to some pharmaceutical company to buy revoform – the drug that was used to sedate the guards, Jay and Donghae. Apparently he was also transferring money into a separate account and on the night of the kidnap all the separate account’s money was withdrawn.”

 

Yuri stares at me for a moment before leaning back. “That’s…pretty solid evidence.”

 

“I know.”

 

“But…you still don’t think it was him?”
 

“I don’t know, Yul. The proof is there…but my gut is telling me otherwise.”
 

She hums in thought. “What are the detectives saying?”
 

“I wouldn’t know.”

 

She looks at me, confused.

 

“My father has banned me from taking any part in the investigation after finding out about me going to see Siwon.”
 

“What? That’s ridiculous.”
 

“Well obviously he doesn’t think so.”

 

She takes a breath, leaning her elbows on her knees. “Can I be honest with you?”
 

I glance at her and nod.

 

“I think your hunch is right.”
 

“What do you mean?”

 

“It’s just Taeyeon-…she…well…” I observe as she tries to gather up all her words and put them together. “Taeyeon didn’t like Siwon at the start, but she told me that she thought he wasn’t a bad guy – just a little misled.”
 

“And…?”
 

“I know it seems like I’m just grabbing at straws but…Taeyeon’s a good judge of character. And, to me, Siwon doesn’t have a strong enough motivation. Yeah, he’s had a bad past with Taeyeon, and yeah he’s in love with you but, you guys were all patching things up before this all went down…am I right?”
 

“Yeah…”

 

“Look, maybe I’m just being delusional but you can fake bank transfers if you have enough money. That’s the only proof they have on him.”
 

“But wouldn’t the detectives spot that a mile away?”

 

She shrugs helplessly. “I don’t know…”

 

We both slouch back and stare at the bare wall. Car horns yell quietly from behind the window on the streets down below.

 

Yuri rubs at her face, blowing air out from . “I think…you should patch things up with your dad first. And then I think you should take the investigation into your own hands.”

 

“I’m no detective-“

 

“Yes, but you know Taeyeon best. You love her unconditionally. You’ll go to any

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter