This Girl?

The Royal Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2: This Girl?

 

What even happened last night?

I honestly have no idea. There was a lot of alcohol, I’m sure of that. And there were lots of people. There was loud music, and a bunch of flashing lights. But other than that, last night’s events seemed like a big, contrasted blur of names, faces and music, all soaking and reeking of vodka and other types alcoholic beverages.

How did I even get home?

I slowly sat up in my bed, the thumping in my skull intensifying as the taste in my mouth made my lips twist in disgust.

Hangover.

It definitely wasn’t my first, but it seemed like the worst one I had experienced yet.

How drunk had I been?

I rubbed my temples slowly in an attempt to ease the pounding pain that was hammering in my head, slowly opening my eyes, which really was a bad idea considering I hadn’t realized that the curtains had been drawn back and the sunlight was now pouring in, causing the room to be as bright and well lit as ever. I groaned, squinting my eyes closed again.

Sometimes, I wondered why I did this, but then I remembered it was because I was young, rich and famous, surrounded by a family that looked down on me for not behaving like a member of royalty should.

Could you really blame me? It was my 21st birthday. Did they really expect me to stay in the palace, have a nice little tea party with a bunch of old and important people that I didn’t particularly like, plaster a fake smile on my face as they questioned me on marriage?

No. I wanted to go out, have fun, maybe get a little more than just drunk, be with my friends, let loose. Live. And not have to be conscious of this stupid title that hung over my head like a grey cloud, ready to pour down on me.

Really, I should’ve been used to it by now. I had been living with it for twenty-one years, but that doesn’t mean that I was willing to accept it.

My parents, obviously, didn’t approve of my behavior and they had a tendency to compare me to Michelle, my older sister, who was perfect, smart, beautiful, talented, elegant and the heir to the throne. Her behavior had always been on point, she knew how to act in front of people, always keeping her image pristine. She had already found a husband, whom she was happily married to.

Michelle would always have to come first. Whatever Michelle wanted was most important, because she was apparently the future of my family and our only hope. Whatever Michelle did was best, and she would always come out on top, because she was always the smartest, the most athletic, the most talented and honestly…I was no competition for her.

No matter how much effort I put into something, she would always beat me. So, eventually, I just stopped trying to out-shine her. I was done with keeping an image. I wanted to be my own person. But it was hard when guards, butlers and maids surrounded you, all hired to try and ‘protect’ you.

Even in the eyes of the public, Michelle was the perfect daughter, and I was the younger one that failed at living up to expectations, the wild one, the one who set bad examples for those younger than me. Which I suppose was true. I couldn’t really argue back, because they were right.

I couldn’t even have a boyfriend without it being labeled as ‘wrong’. But that didn’t stop me, of course. I did have a boyfriend. We have been together for about six years. But as always, my parents disapproved of him.

His name is Choi Siwon, the son of a successful CEO. He’s handsome, smart and his family is rich. What’s there not to like? He’s like the perfect son-in-law. But apparently, him and his family were not good people and I was forbidden from seeing him.

I didn’t see him often, only rarely when we could sneak around and meet without anyone knowing. He would call sometimes and text me, but honestly, there were times that I forgot that he was actually my boyfriend. We really didn’t see each other enough, and sometimes I wondered whether we really would class as being in a relationship.

Well, my parents didn’t class it as a relationship, anyway.

It was family tradition, that if you hadn’t found a partner by your 21st birthday, you would have an arranged marriage, and, obviously, I wasn’t allowed to marry Siwon. My suitor would be chosen by my crazy, old and hunched over grandmother, whom really isn’t right in the head. Apparently, she has some sort of ‘mystic power’ when it comes to matchmaking and whatnot. Not that I believed in it.

My arranged marriage wouldn’t be any time soon – they haven’t even started the husband hunting yet.

“Your majesty,”

I look up to see Henry giving a small bow as he stood at the top of the stairs. He was the family’s longest serving and most loyal butler. And honestly, he was the one I trusted most in the palace.

He straightened his back. His posture perfect and erect. He was a rather thin man, and much like his physique, his hair wasn’t very thick either.

“How did you sleep?” He asked, placing the small pile of clothes he had in his arms on top of the chest of drawers, to the right of my bed.

“I slept…okay.” I said, massaging my temples, trying to re-cap what happened last night.

“You’re lucky…” He said, his back still turned to me. “The guards followed you out last night, they brought you home when you could barely walk.” He stated. “You could have gotten into some real trouble.”

I purse my lips into a thin line.

Had I really been that bad that I couldn’t even stand on my own two feet with out toppling down like a faulty tower? I had fun though…

“Here,”

I look up to find him standing beside me, holding a few painkillers and glass water out to me.

“It’ll help with the headache, princess.” He said, reassuringly.

I nodded, taking the pills and washing them down with a flood of water, down my throat and into my system.

“Your father would like to speak with you in the throne room.”

“The throne room?” I questioned, handing back the glass to him.

The throne room was only used for special occasions. If they were merely getting me into trouble for my antics last nig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter