30

Love: No Return

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpPWakLWvzo (Please listen to this before you scroll down. A must!)

 

From afar, Tiffany saw a lone figure standing against the wide ocean. The sports car was parked haphazardly on the roadside with the driver’s door left open. The wind blew against her hair as the smell of seawater engulfed her, and she watched as papers flew towards the dark ocean. She could hear the wind howling, it was howling fever pitch against her ears.

“Stop….” Her voice came out muffled and raspy, almost soft.

“Taeyeon…” why does it always seem as though it was so difficult to reach out to her?

She took a step forward as the wind pushed her back with each step appearing weighted and heavy, as the figure in front of her moved forward towards the ocean, “Taeyeon…” she called out.

“Please stop…”

Even that sounded weak against the wind.

“Taeyeon! Stop, or I’ll never forgive you!”

Finally, the figure turned.

---

She was never clearer than this. Reality never seemed so clear, perhaps, it was really due to the mind numbing cold that was constantly reminding her of reality. It was freezing cold when she heard a voice and she turned as she saw a figure in a white flowy top rushing towards her, jumping into the ice cold water –

Tiffany?

“Are you awake?” Tiffany asked the moment she was infront of Taeyeon. She was looking carefully at Taeyeon, examining each feature, every detail. They were in the water, there was the swishing sound all around of water flapping against each other and it was cold and she was shivering.

Even her words were coming out in stutters.

“Are you truly awake?” Tiffany repeated.

Taeyeon looked at her, and nodded once quietly, unsure where this was going.

Tiffany sighed, “Good. Then, hear this carefully. Because I’m only going to say it once.” She closed her eyes, almost as if she were preparing for a big speech.

“I don’t believe that our love’s ‘over’. That, it’s beyond salvageable, that it’s beyond return when I say that we’re over. Even if I said it, I never once did really want to believe it, as much as how circumstances were, as much as how doubtful you were about my character. As much as how you’ve left me hanging before by the edge. I love you, Taeyeon. So please, don’t go. Don’t do something silly again, okay?”

She placed her forehead against Taeyeon’s. And two of them stood in the cold for a while with their eyes closed. Tiffany sighed and pulled back her head, noticing that the moon had cast a translucent, luminous glow to Taeyeon’s pale face. Taeyeon had been closing her eyes, but she opened them slowly, almost as if it were a difficult task to do in itself.

She nodded her head quietly.

Yes

Cross my heart, and hope to die

TIffany looked at Taeyeon carefully and gently, her eyes were welling up in tears as she held the icy cold hands against hers.

Tiffany smiled, elated –relieved, “I’m sorry about all the times we’ve missed each other. It’s not your fault, it’s not my fault… It just seems as though the entire universe is conspiring to keep us apart, isn’t it?”

Tiffany scoffed and Taeyeon nodded slowly and woodenly with a light smile on her stone cold lips, they were blue, almost deathly blue.

“Are you cold? You look so cold… Aish. What am I talking? We’re both really cold. But, are you not feeling well, Taeyeon? Your face is exceptionally pale….”

Taeyeon shook her head slowly indicating that she’s fine.

Tiffany nodded and moved forward in the water, plowing through time and water. “I miss you so, so much. We’re going to get back the time that we’ve wasted hating each other…We’re going to.” Tiffany said as she walked towards the shore with Taeyeon following quietly behind. Her hands held on lightly to Tiffany’s, almost as if she were afraid to let go.

Almost as if she was afraid that this was all too real.

Reality hurts, doesn’t it?

Taeyeon wanted to scoff at that, but she couldn’t, because it really did hurt, a lot.

“You have no idea how much I miss you, Taeyeon… Absolutely no idea. I did dream about us together the other day… I missed the times when it was simpler, when everything was just not so complicated. Back when you used to laugh at my awful piano skills because your’s was so much better. And though, I’ve never once admitted it to you… I’ve always thought you were a genius, a genius that could play the best music only for me… Selfish, isn’t it?” Tiffany sighed against the cold. The wind was still howling, it was still so cold.

She could feel the cool air against her cheeks and she closed her eyes and held on to the hand that was holding hers lightly. Taeyeon was leaning on her back now.

Slowly turning behind, she said.

“Let’s just go back to the start, shall we?” Tiffany asked wistfully and turned around just as the figure behind her collapsed onto the shore with a ‘thud’.

“Taeyeon?” Tiffany gasped, as she held onto the figure who had coughed out a pool of blood that had stained red. Even her white collared shirt had blood on them.

It hurts, doesn’t it? This lovesick pain.

“Taeyeon, what’s happening?” Tiffany blinked back tears as she held onto the unconscious figure and shook her, “Taeyeon! Wake up. Please, wake up!”

There was more blood, why…? “Don’t go, you promised.”

Not now, not when everything’s resolved, not when there were so many things they could do together…so many things!

“Please…I’m begging you.”

The cold was seeping through her clothes numbing her to the core, she bent down to hug the cold figure “Taeyeon?”

And then, just as dawn broke, Tiffany cried till there were no more tears left.

Did we really have a love that has no return?


[The song that Taeyeon wrote]
We used to love, please don’t make me cry
To me, it’s only you
When I close my eyes, I see you – when I block my ears, I hear you
Please don’t leave me

The person who became a light in my dark life, such a precious person
A day passes and another passes and long for you more, even as I sing this song

We used to love, please don’t make me cry
To me, it’s only you
When I close my eyes, I see you – when I block my ears, I hear you
Please don’t leave me

You might come back, because you might return, again today, I wait for you
You don’t know, you don’t know how much I’m hurting, even as I sing this song

We used to love, please don’t make me cry
To me, it’s only you
When I close my eyes, I see you – when I block my ears, I hear you
Please don’t leave me

If I were to choose between you and the world
Even if everything is taken away from me, if it’s you, I’m okay
Day or night, I’m thirsty for love
My unseemly promise to forget you makes me cry again, can you hear me?
The only thing I want from you is you
Without you, I can’t do anything
If you hear this song, please come back, come back

The more I love, the gaunter I get
To me, it’s only you
We used to love, please don’t make me cry
Please don’t leave me


This is the last song I'm singing to you
Please don't leave me


---


(In Taeyeon’s Handphone. Voice Recording One.)

I’m sorry, where do I even start? I know you said that you wanted someone who could love you unconditionally. And I’m sorry that I’ve disappointed you.
But I’ve learned, I’ve learned that loving you means that I will not stop trying.
Even if you’ve told me to stop – at the hospital.
I wasn’t intending to, I’m going to fight for our love, just as how you did, just as how you showed me who the real Taeyeon was.
Even if everyone said that our love probably has no return. I believe that we do. I believe that our love is salvageable, that it is still redeemable, that we do still have a lot of things that we could dream of together.
I love you, so so much. T.
Always have, and always will.
Taeyeon.

---

A/N: I am aware that the song is written by someone else, and not Taeyeon. But for this story, let's just take it as she wrote this story ok? Credits will always go to the original writer/singer.