Accepting Reality

The Unpredictable Truth

IU - Someday


Days passed and you’ve been ignoring Daehyun. Ever since you found out he smoked, you stayed distant from him. Although, of course, you were watching for his safety from a distance, you never let him make eye contact with you. It drove him crazy, not hearing your voice.

At lunch, Daehyun saw you eating alone at the table in the corner of the cafeteria. With his mask covering his mouth, he opened the door and sauntered down the aisle. The noise in the lunchroom died down and it took a few seconds for people to realize that that was actually Daehyun. Girls’ screams pierced his ears and he tried not to wince. No one dared touched him except for Hara. “Oppa! This is the first time you came to lunch! Did you come to see me?” She shrieked, batting her eyelashes.

He growled, pushing her away from his arm. The delinquents all held their breath as he walked in your direction. No one else was near you so it was obvious it was you he was approaching.

You had your eyes closed and your headphones blasting so you were oblivious as to what was happening. When Daehyun was just about 10 feet away from you, your eyes snapped open.

Over the past days, when you were avoiding Daehyun, you remembered the real reason why you were here. There were no attacks from the fathers of B.A.P. It was suspiciously calm. You were starting to think you didn’t need to be here and everything was a bluff. Even so, B.A.P were more than capable of fighting a few fools that worked for their fathers. They may not be A+ agents like you but they were known for their fighting skills on the streets. You were here to protect the boys, not fall in love with one of them. And you were quite reluctant to hear that you actually fell for Daehyun.

“What are you doing here Daehyun?” You sighed, pausing your music.

“Why were you avoiding me?” Whispering quietly so that no one heard him, he sat next to you as everyone held his or her breaths, waiting for Daehyun’s next move.

“Honestly,” You blinked, “I have no idea...”

Daehyun chuckled, amused. His life felt empty without you. He yearned to hear your voice but his pride wouldn’t allow him to admit it. Daehyun just knew it. He was in love with you. He had found the reason to his heart fluttering, accelerated heartbeats, subconscious smiles, and sweaty palms. And that’s why he was going to confess today.

“Well can you stop now? I really missed talking to you.” Sheepishly, he rubbed the back of his neck and stuttered simultaneously.

“I’ll make a deal with you.”

Daehyun nodded, curious to what you could say. You smirked, “I’ll talk to you again if you quit smoking. I mean, quit for good, not just temporarily.”

Daehyun pondered on for a moment, why were you so anxious for him to stop? Why did it care so much to you? Perhaps you shared the same feelings he did, that made him grow hopeful.

“Sure. I only smoked when I was stressed.”

“Then do something else unless you wanted to poison your body with toxic and die early.” You snorted.

He grinned; too bad his covering blocked his charming smile. He found your snarky comments to be very intriguing and made you even more attractive. Catching up to you, he laced his fingers with yours and pulled you. Before you could refute, the bell rang and you had no choice but to be dragged by him.

---

“Don’t forget your vacation homework!”

Now that Winter Break was almost here, the teachers were giving out- or at least attempting to give out vacation homework. It wasn’t like anyone was actually going to do the assignments, though.

Daehyun was by your side as soon as the bell rang. He seemed happier than usual, which you noticed.

“Yah. Why are you so jumpy today?”

He zoomed in, making you hold your breath. It didn’t help that you might’ve had a crush on him. If he were to have mutual feelings, this pairing wouldn’t work anyways. You would always be moving from place to place, you weren’t meant to stay permanently. You were only appointed to stay for a short period of time and disappear like thin air. But when it came to Daehyun, you ignored everything that ever mattered in becoming an agent. Like the most threatening rule, never fall in love with your assignment. Unfortunately, you just did. When it came to love, you were a fool.

He grabbed your hand again and pulled you to the bus station. Despite your protests, he pushed you onto the bus and it drove off. You groggily sank into the chair, shooting glares at Daehyun. “Where are we going?” You snapped.

You were waiting for an answer. Instead, he pinched your cheeks and loosened the strings on his mask. He was planning to confess and wanted it to be memorable.

 

It was starting to become dark outside. The farther the bus drove, the more colorful lights appeared. Earlier, Daehyun received a text from Yongguk. His hyung was wondering where he was but Daehyun eventually shut his phone off. He didn’t need anyone interrupting his moment right now. The bus slowly stopped and Daehyun stood up. You blinked twice before standing up and following the blonde out the door.

“Han River?” Although you didn’t stay in Korea too long, you knew of the legendary place. Han River was where people usually confessed or hung out on dates. Now that it was at night, the lights were on and the sight was beautiful.

Daehyun nodded and held out his hand, “But I want to get something first.”

Hesitantly, you reached out and took his hand. It made you feel secure. He made you feel like you were a normal girl living a normal life. You were anything but that.

You watched quietly as he purchased a camera. He thanked the ahjumma and left the store. You tugged on his arm, “Why are you buying a camera?”

He smiled sweetly behind his black mask, his eyes bunching up into eye smiles. “I want to capture this moment. I’ll bring this camera when we hang out, too.” He squeezed your hand, “I want to remember everything we did.”

Your heart fluttered at the sweet words that poured out of his mouth. You didn’t know if there would be any more times but you sure hope there would. You weren’t exactly sure if you would be staying for too long.

“Can you wait here first? I have to go to the bathroom.” He directed you to a bench and gave you his camera to hold onto. You crossed your arms when a slight breeze came. You took in the sight of the river in front of you; Han River really was a place for confessions. It was the perfect place for such a special moment to be made. Moments later Daehyun came jogging back except this time, he was dressed differently. He ditched the school uniform and was now dressed in a neat, crisp tux. His whole attire was proper and gentlemen-like, even his mask was off his face. Your jaw fell opened, wondering where he got the suit. He was hiding his arm behind his back and walked in front of you. “Hi...”

“Daehyun.. Where did you get the suit?”

He looked down at himself once, “Do you like it? I hope you do...” He murmured the last part to himself. He personally made his hyung rush down to Han River just to give him his suit. The leader wasn’t exactly all smiles but when Daehyun mentioned that he was confessing, his frown turned upside down. The last thing he said was “Good luck!” before zipping down the streets.

Daehyun was trembling in fear. The same gangster who had no mercy no matter how bad the situation was and didn’t fear anything. That was, when he didn’t experience love. He repeatedly went over his plan in his mind and would get even more anxious when thinking about it.

“It looks nice on you, actually. But why?”

Daehyun took a deep breath. He brought his arm in front of him, revealing the bouquet of roses. You gasped, “Omo!”

“The past few days have been driving me crazy. I didn’t hear your voice at all and I just haven’t been myself. Every time I talk to you, I would get this weird feeling inside. At first, I thought it was fear... I was foolish to think that you were just an ordinary girl. Ever since you came to us, you’ve flipped my world upside down.” He bit his lip, “I was never good with... these kind of things but what I’m trying to say is, will you go out with me? As my official girlfriend?” He held the roses out, waiting for your reply. He was scared to figure out your answer. He didn’t want to go through the humiliation of getting rejected.

You thought everything over carefully. You would be risking a lot if you accepted him. It wasn’t that you didn’t want to accept him, you really did. But if your boss were to ever find out, you would have to go through severe consequences.

Since you actually had a choice this time, you would be willing to risk everything for Daehyun. Ever since you were recruited to the CIA, you were taught not to fall in love, not to trust anyone, and how to fight for survival. Everything left your mind when you accepted Daehyun.

“Yes, I’ll be your girlfriend.”

Daehyun grinned, relieved that you had mutual feelings. He wrapped his hands around your waist and pulled you close to him. Your body visibly went rigid but soon relaxed. Without hesitation, you wrapped your arms around his neck and rested your head on your broad shoulder. You sighed in exasperation, now you had your moment. Now lets just keep that a secret from your boss.


Merry Christmas Eve and Merry Christmas to those who are already on the 25th!  ^_^