It's okay to say that you're not okay.

The Boy Next Door
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The group's effort to search manually for Kris was in vain. His phone was of course, turned off. They even knocked on doors around the estate to see if anyone's seen him.

 

But he was gone, just like that.

 

After searching for the remains of the evening, they decided to call it a day.

 

"We're being silly. He's a big boy, he'll be alright." Baekhyun reassured. His friends could only hope that his words were true.

 

Everyone was evidently worried, but they had to be realistic. They all had classes tomorrow morning and there was no point in looking for someone who obviously doesn't want to be found. It was a needle in a haystack. The trio reluctantly agreed to return to their apartments, hoping to plan their next move tomorrow.

 

Sehun had stayed at the apartment with Kyungsoo, waiting there in case Kris had returned home.

 

Sehun jumped up from the sofa as soon as he heard the front door, only to slump back down with sad eyes when he saw that the trio had returned without the blond.

 

"Anything?" Kyungsoo asked, already knowing the answer. The trio shook their heads and Kyungsoo sighed.

 

"I made some spaghetti. It's quite late already, you guys hungry?" They shook their heads again but Kyungsoo forced them to have some anyway. He half-heartedly nagged the group about the effects of skipping dinner even though he knew that a messed up metabolism is the least of their worries right now. They ate dinner in silence.

 

Everyone was extremely tired and confused.

 

"Should I even bother asking what happened with Kris?" Baekhyun finally asked when the Derp Squad had returned to their own apartment after dinner.

 

Chanyeol knew exactly what was going on, but he also knew that it was not his place to say anything so he kept his mouth shut. Their first priority right now was to find Kris. It sounded like an easy task since the blond had no real friends or relatives living in the city. There wasn't many places he could be, and yet that meant that he could be anywhere. He could've even left the city by now.

 

Chanyeol shook the thought out his mind and bid his friends goodnight. He really needed some sleep. This was too much thinking for him to handle.

 

Luhan, on the other hand, wasn't having a much easier time than Chanyeol. His mind, too, was going mad. But he needed to stay strong for someone else. Someone who needed him now more than ever.

 

Sehun was still sobbing when he fell asleep in Luhan's arms. Just holding Luhan's hand wasn't enough comfort for Sehun tonight.

 

Luhan wanted to comfort the younger and tell him that there was nothing to worry about. Kris probably just left to get some fresh air, or to visit some friends and forgot the time. The note was merely a misunderstanding and Kris would be home by the morning. But he couldn't. Like Chanyeol, he knew exactly why Kris left. It was because of him. Luhan had managed to be the cause of Sehun's tears yet again.

 

You are despicable. There are diseases less disgusting than you. Luhan's mind was full of insults to himself, his brain was screaming abuses at him, hoping that it would perhaps ease the pain of his heart a little. It didn't, but Luhan welcomed the self mental abuse. He knew he deserved every word of it.

 

Luhan's eyes were stinging with tears and exhaustion. He looked at Sehun's tear-stained face and his swollen eyes. Another knife stabbed into his chest again and he closed his eyes, praying that it would close his mind too.

 

He didn't really feel like he deserved to hold such a beautiful creature in his arms, but he stayed until morning came, with minimal sleep.

 

***

 

The day at university was pretty standard and silent. No-one really had anything to say. Everyone's minds were too busy thinking about their own problems as well as the whereabouts of Kris.

 

After school, the six of them have agreed to each go to a different part of town and have a look in the hotels, shops and communal areas for Kris. It was a long shot, but none of them really wanted to just stay at home and hope that Kris would miraculously come home. Sehun said that they had to have faith in fate. And fate would never just let Kris get away from them so easily.

 

And somehow, their belief paid off.

 

Chanyeol was in charge of the public areas around the SM Estate but being the forgetful person that he is, he left his mobile at home. As he walked up the stairs to his apartment again, he saw the back of a very familiar head.

 

"...Kris?" The blond head that was a little ahead of him on the stairs had froze for a second. Then he ran for it.

 

"KRIS WU!!" Chanyeol had chased him into an apartment on the second floor. Kris fumbled with his keys, opened the door and dashed inside.

 

Luckily, Chanyeol had managed to trap his foot between the door before Kris had shut it. "OW!" Kris opened the door at the sound of Chanyeol's painful cry and Chanyeol seized the opportunity to tackle him to the floor.

 

"Ouch…" Kris mumbled, rubbing at the back of his head which landed on the hard floor first, "Was that really necessary?"

 

"YES, IT WAS! HAVE YOU ANY IDEA HOW WORRIED WE'VE BEEN?" Chanyeol's face was inches away from the blond's with hands by the elder's shoulders to support himself up from the floor. He was looking down at the blond with fierce and angry eyes but tears started to fill his eyes. It didn't really occur to him how worried and concerned he's been until now. Kris bit his lip guiltily at the sight.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"Not good enough. Why did you run away?"

 

"You know why."

 

Chanyeol's stomach flipped. He didn't want to hear this answer.

 

The night that Luhan had broken down, Kris' expression was the most painful one that Chanyeol has had to endure. He didn't want to believe that Kris really had feelings for Sehun and it was creating a love triangle dilemma. But Kris' face said everything.

 

"You're running away because you finally have to admit that you have feelings for someone you shouldn't have and you can't bare to face him." Chanyeol whispered.

 

Chanyeol finally realised that he had been lying to himself. He liked Kris, but he tried to deny it all this time. He convinced himself that it was probably just a fondness or even a small crush, but that's as far as it goes. He didn't want to admit that the Angry Bird was someone of such importance. Hearing Luhan's confession and his accusations to Kris' feelings towards Sehun made Chanyeol jealous and heart broken. He wanted to hear Kris deny them, say it loud and clear that he didn't love Sehun the same way that Luhan does. He wanted Kris to feel that way towards him, instead of someone else.

 

"Yes. And I know for a fact that the person doesn't feel the same way about me. I knew a long time ago. I'm the spare onel, not Luhan. I didn't realise how much pain I've caused Luhan. He even...blamed himself for Sehun's scar. He became paranoid and I just..." Kris had turned his head to look away from Chanyeol. His eyes were watering, but Chanyeol could tell that Kris is extremely good at holding them in, which pained him. Because only practice makes perfect. Kris must've learnt to keep his tears to himself for a long time.

 

"That might not be true. You guys don't know how Sehun feels for sure. He could--" Chanyeol tried to comfort the elder, who shook his heada d interrupted.

 

"I'm his brother, I know him better than anyone else. He's been doubting himself, but that doesn't change that fact that he feels that way. He loves Luhan, alright. For as long as I can remember. I just hoped that...all three of us could've stayed together a little longer before they kicked me out." Kris closed his eyes. Chanyeol's world was falling apart with Kris'. It was as if he could feel the elder's heart crumbling and Chanyeol had never felt worse in his life.

 

"I should've left a long time ago. I was selfish. But at least I see what I should do no

Please log in to read the full chapter